Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Default OT - configuring PAN newsreader -Xpost

I have used Pan in the past under Linux.
IIRC for a while it was not part of the official build.
Now it seems to be back.
Fine - it was a pretty good news reader.

However having installed the latest version and configured my NNTP server I
now can't find how to get back into the configuration.

A bit like these newer browsers who hide the tool bars and configuration
menus.
However there is usually a small icon somewhere which gives you access.
With Pan I've searched the whole screen and can't find anything - no choice
to add a new NNTP server, change any options, anything.

Google is not currently my friend.

Is there some arcane key sequence or am I missing something obvious?

TIA

Dave R

P.S. this has a haunting familiarity so I may have been (unsuccessfully)
down this route before.
Which could explain why I am still using Windows Mail as a newsreader.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 22:23:40 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

I have used Pan in the past under Linux.
IIRC for a while it was not part of the official build.
Now it seems to be back.
Fine - it was a pretty good news reader.

However having installed the latest version and configured my NNTP server
I now can't find how to get back into the configuration.

Edit Edit Newservers?

--
Terry Fields
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

[...]

Is:

EditEdit News Servers(select server)Edit

what you need?

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 00:46:56 +0000, Bill wrote:

Can Pan be set to thread, but still put the most recent posts at the
top, or bottom?

Yes, that's how I use it.

I run in View Layout Tabbed Layout, and the sequence is to click on the Subject tab then click on the Date
tab - you might have to click twice on the latter if it's in the wrong order.

HTH

--
Terry Fields
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

"Terry Fields" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 22:23:40 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

I have used Pan in the past under Linux.
IIRC for a while it was not part of the official build.
Now it seems to be back.
Fine - it was a pretty good news reader.

However having installed the latest version and configured my NNTP server
I now can't find how to get back into the configuration.

Edit Edit Newservers?

My problem is that I can't find the Edit option - or any other option for
that matter.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 10:15:05 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

"Terry Fields" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 22:23:40 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

I have used Pan in the past under Linux.
IIRC for a while it was not part of the official build.
Now it seems to be back.
Fine - it was a pretty good news reader.

However having installed the latest version and configured my NNTP
server I now can't find how to get back into the configuration.

Edit Edit Newservers?

My problem is that I can't find the Edit option - or any other option
for that matter.

Here, it's hidden until I mouse over the bar at the top that says "Pan: uk.d-i-y".

--
Terry Fields
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

"Terry Fields" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 10:15:05 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

"Terry Fields" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 22:23:40 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

I have used Pan in the past under Linux.
IIRC for a while it was not part of the official build.
Now it seems to be back.
Fine - it was a pretty good news reader.

However having installed the latest version and configured my NNTP
server I now can't find how to get back into the configuration.

Edit Edit Newservers?

My problem is that I can't find the Edit option - or any other option
for that matter.

Here, it's hidden until I mouse over the bar at the top that says "Pan:
uk.d-i-y".

Will check once I get the darn PC up and running again - thanks.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 22:23:40 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

I have used Pan in the past

So have I - but still using 'old' Pan, so can't help with the question.

But there is an active Pan newsgroup:

gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.users

--
/\/\aurice

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 12:09:04 +0000, Terry Fields wrote:

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 10:15:05 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

"Terry Fields" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 22:23:40 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

I have used Pan in the past under Linux.
IIRC for a while it was not part of the official build.
Now it seems to be back.
Fine - it was a pretty good news reader.

However having installed the latest version and configured my NNTP
server I now can't find how to get back into the configuration.

Edit Edit Newservers?

My problem is that I can't find the Edit option - or any other option
for that matter.

Here, it's hidden until I mouse over the bar at the top that says "Pan:
uk.d-i-y".

Now here's a wierd thing.
If I have Pan as just a window on part of the desktop then this doesn't
work.
If I make Pan full screen (maximise) then the mouse over does show the
menu bar.

Thanks - I think I can now manage but I am less than impressed.

This from Pan under Ubuntu.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/12 20:44, David wrote:
[...]

MMM. that sort of behaviour may be a conflict between video drivers,
windowing system and PAN.

You may find a newer video driver or telling the old one not to be TOO
smart may help

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 20:44:04 +0000, David wrote:

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 12:09:04 +0000, Terry Fields wrote:

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 10:15:05 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

My problem is that I can't find the Edit option - or any other option
for that matter.

Here, it's hidden until I mouse over the bar at the top that says "Pan:
uk.d-i-y".

Now here's a wierd thing.
If I have Pan as just a window on part of the desktop then this doesn't
work.
If I make Pan full screen (maximise) then the mouse over does show the
menu bar.

Thanks - I think I can now manage but I am less than impressed.

This from Pan under Ubuntu.

I'm using the same combination; I thought I'd try Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on a lappy that had suffered an
irrecoverable Windows crash. It's certainly made the lappy usable (except it suffers from the choppy video
problem for which there doesn't seem to be a fix). I'm used to an old version of Agent, and find that Pan has
some annoyances.

How do you Collapse All Threads? Doing a Get All Headers in Selected Groups automatically collapses all
threads on some groups but not others....

You can add a regex to get rid of annoying people, but there's no link to where these are stored. You can modify
them individually, if you can find the now-hidden messages....

Still, the 'modern' appearance of Pan and Thunderbird are quite a change.

--
Terry Fields
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/12 09:39, Terry Fields wrote:
[...]

Sometimes you can get manufacturers video drivers, but X-windows is a
heavier load than windows XP...

How do you Collapse All Threads? Doing a Get All Headers in Selected Groups automatically collapses all
threads on some groups but not others....

You can add a regex to get rid of annoying people, but there's no link to where these are stored. You can modify
them individually, if you can find the now-hidden messages....

Still, the 'modern' appearance of Pan and Thunderbird are quite a change.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 25 Dec 2012 09:39:27 GMT
Terry Fields wrote:

I'm using the same combination; I thought I'd try Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on
a lappy that had suffered an irrecoverable Windows crash. It's
certainly made the lappy usable (except it suffers from the choppy
video problem for which there doesn't seem to be a fix). I'm used to
an old version of Agent, and find that Pan has some annoyances.

How do you Collapse All Threads? Doing a Get All Headers in Selected
Groups automatically collapses all threads on some groups but not
others....

You can add a regex to get rid of annoying people, but there's no
link to where these are stored. You can modify them individually, if
you can find the now-hidden messages....

Still, the 'modern' appearance of Pan and Thunderbird are quite a
change.

I can't comment on Pan or Thunderbird as I don't use them. Have you
tried Claws Mail for email and newsgroups? Also Forte Agent v6 has a
Wine platinum rating if you prefer that.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 10:29:13 +0000
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Sometimes you can get manufacturers video drivers, but X-windows is a
heavier load than windows XP...

X itself is pretty lightweight, the window managers and desktop
managers run on it can be light and minimal or heavier and more
elaborate. Xfce and LXDE are lightweight desktop managers with the
"classic" (rather dated) look of CDE and W95 respectively, which quite
a few people seem to be using these days instead of the "full fat"
Gnome, KDE and Unity (Ubuntu) desktops.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 12:23:05 +0000

On 2012-12-25, Rob Morley wrote:

X itself is pretty lightweight, the window managers and desktop
managers run on it can be light and minimal or heavier and more
elaborate. Xfce and LXDE are lightweight desktop managers with the
"classic" (rather dated) look of CDE and W95 respectively, which
quite a few people seem to be using these days instead of the
"full fat" Gnome, KDE and Unity (Ubuntu) desktops.

Do you blame them? Have you *seen* Gnome3 and Unity?

Actually I've been happily using Unity since Ubuntu 12.04 was
released. It's not brilliant but I don't think it's as terrible as
some people would have you believe.

twm FTW.

Just installed that, running it now - it really shows how sloppy my
mouse control has become, not sure whether I should blame Unity or
decrepitude. It's a while since I've used focus follows mouse too.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 2012-12-25, Rob Morley wrote:
On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 10:29:13 +0000
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Sometimes you can get manufacturers video drivers, but X-windows is a
heavier load than windows XP...

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

It's not called "X-Windows", it's a set of libraries and protocols so
it has no "weight" at all,

libraries have no size and consume no CPU power when running.? Whoda
thunk it!

and even then you're wrong.

ER what?

X itself is pretty lightweight, the window managers and desktop
managers run on it can be light and minimal or heavier and more
elaborate. Xfce and LXDE are lightweight desktop managers with the
"classic" (rather dated) look of CDE and W95 respectively, which quite
a few people seem to be using these days instead of the "full fat"
Gnome, KDE and Unity (Ubuntu) desktops.

none of those are involved when it comes down to shoving a static frame
round a moving picture.

Its all down to those infinitely small zero CPU libraries that sit
between the app and the pixel.

You really are a clueless ****.

Do you blame them? Have you *seen* Gnome3 and Unity?

Yep, and that's why I run Mint.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I use Claws Mail for email, but much prefer Pan for Usenet.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Sometimes you can get manufacturers video drivers, but X-windows is a
heavier load than windows XP...

X itself is pretty lightweight, the window managers and desktop managers
run on it can be light and minimal or heavier and more elaborate. Xfce
and LXDE are lightweight desktop managers with the "classic" (rather
dated) look of CDE and W95 respectively, which quite a few people seem
to be using these days instead of the "full fat" Gnome, KDE and Unity
(Ubuntu) desktops.

Yes, I'm using a (slightly tweaked) LXDE, having grown tired of the KDE
bloat.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 20:44:04 +0000, David wrote:

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 12:09:04 +0000, Terry Fields wrote:

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 10:15:05 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

My problem is that I can't find the Edit option - or any other option
for that matter.

Here, it's hidden until I mouse over the bar at the top that says "Pan:
uk.d-i-y".

Now here's a wierd thing.
If I have Pan as just a window on part of the desktop then this doesn't
work.
If I make Pan full screen (maximise) then the mouse over does show the
menu bar.

I just tried this here; the menu bar is located in the main screen window (the bar at the very top of the screen)
rather than in the reduced-size Pan window.

--
Terry Fields
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

On 26 Dec 2012 10:33:10 GMT
Terry Fields wrote:

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 20:44:04 +0000, David wrote:

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 12:09:04 +0000, Terry Fields wrote:

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 10:15:05 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

My problem is that I can't find the Edit option - or any other
option for that matter.

Here, it's hidden until I mouse over the bar at the top that says
"Pan: uk.d-i-y".

Now here's a wierd thing.
If I have Pan as just a window on part of the desktop then this
doesn't work.
If I make Pan full screen (maximise) then the mouse over does show
the menu bar.

I just tried this here; the menu bar is located in the main screen
window (the bar at the very top of the screen) rather than in the
reduced-size Pan window.

That's default behaviour for Unity desktop manager - takes some getting
used to.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

"Terry Fields" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 20:44:04 +0000, David wrote:

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 12:09:04 +0000, Terry Fields wrote:

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 10:15:05 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

My problem is that I can't find the Edit option - or any other option
for that matter.

Here, it's hidden until I mouse over the bar at the top that says "Pan:
uk.d-i-y".

Now here's a wierd thing.
If I have Pan as just a window on part of the desktop then this doesn't
work.
If I make Pan full screen (maximise) then the mouse over does show the
menu bar.

I just tried this here; the menu bar is located in the main screen window
(the bar at the very top of the screen)
rather than in the reduced-size Pan window.

Thanks - probably explains some of my problems.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

In article 20121225125913.748f09ba@hyperion, Rob Morley wrote:
Actually I've been happily using Unity since Ubuntu 12.04 was
released. It's not brilliant but I don't think it's as terrible as
some people would have you believe.

I sorta agree ... Unity is a brave attempt to do something new with the
desktop in the hope of making it easier (especially for non-techies) to
pick up and use. It's nice to see Canonical trying to improve on the
desktop metaphor rather than blindly copying Microsoft as just about
everyone else seems to have done ... and a shame they haven't made a
better job of it!

Unity grew out of Ubuntu Netbook Remix when Canonical (or rather, Mark
Shuttleworth) began to be dissatisfied with what the Gnome team were
doing. I can see why that was done. It's unfortunate that staying with
Gnome 2 wasn't a viable option, but there it is.

I don't particularly like the way the dash is evolving, but as long as
I can turn off the Amazon links (I'm one of those rare people who has
still never bought from Amazon) I don't find it too bad.

The global menu, though, on anything but a maximized window, is an
piece of arrant lunacy that deserves all the scorn and contempt that it
has received. And more.

Cheers,
Daniel.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

On 31 Dec 2012 15:09:46 GMT

On 2012-12-30, Daniel James wrote:
In article 20121225125913.748f09ba@hyperion, Rob Morley wrote:
Actually I've been happily using Unity since Ubuntu 12.04 was
released. It's not brilliant but I don't think it's as terrible as
some people would have you believe.

I sorta agree ... Unity is a brave attempt to do something new with
the desktop in the hope of making it easier (especially for
non-techies) to pick up and use. It's nice to see Canonical trying
to improve on the desktop metaphor rather than blindly copying
Microsoft as just about everyone else seems to have done

Skipping lightly over the fact that Microsoft didn't invent it in the
first place.

I think we probably know that Apple produced the first commercial WIMP
interface, borrowing ideas from Xerox PARC, and Microsoft has never
invented anything much, but he didn't say that they have, just that the
Windows interface has influence (as it's the one with which most people
are familiar).

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 31 Dec 2012 16:14:19 GMT
Huge wrote:

I think we probably know that Apple produced the first commercial
WIMP interface, borrowing ideas from Xerox PARC,

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
stealing wholesale

Did Xerox ever say they couldn't/shouldn't use it?

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge wrote:
It's nice to see Canonical trying to improve on the desktop
metaphor rather than blindly copying Microsoft as just about
everyone else seems to have done ...

Skipping lightly over the fact that Microsoft didn't invent it in the
first place.

They did not, indeed. But they have made it ubiquitous, so it is they
who are being copied. For better or for worse.

Cheers,
Daniel.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge wrote:
I think we probably know that Apple produced the first commercial
WIMP interface, borrowing ideas from Xerox PARC,

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
stealing wholesale

IIRC Apple (unlike Microsoft) actually licenced (or something) the WIMP
design from Xerox.

Wikipedia sends me he
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2..._fact_gladwell

which is an interesting article ... but may not be telling the whole
story, any of the story, or anything like the true story. Who can say?

Anyhow, it would /appear/ that Apple's use of Xerox's ideas has slightly
more legitimacy that Microsoft's.
--
Cheers,
Daniel.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 16:00:10 +0000, Rob Morley wrote:

On 31 Dec 2012 15:09:46 GMT

On 2012-12-30, Daniel James wrote:
In article 20121225125913.748f09ba@hyperion, Rob Morley wrote:
Actually I've been happily using Unity since Ubuntu 12.04 was
released. It's not brilliant but I don't think it's as terrible as
some people would have you believe.

I sorta agree ... Unity is a brave attempt to do something new with
the desktop in the hope of making it easier (especially for
non-techies) to pick up and use. It's nice to see Canonical trying to
improve on the desktop metaphor rather than blindly copying Microsoft
as just about everyone else seems to have done

Skipping lightly over the fact that Microsoft didn't invent it in the
first place.

I think we probably know that Apple produced the first commercial WIMP
interface, borrowing ideas from Xerox PARC

And didn't Xerox borrow many ideas from NLS, anyway? It's never about
"first", only about who has the best marketing department.

cheers

Jules