Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plastering onto paint

I've got a brick and block wall in my kitchen,
if i paint it now with masonary paint
will it be easy to plaster over it in a few months or years?

Or would I be causing problems?

[george]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 October 2017 15:37:28 UTC+1, DICEGEORGE wrote:
I've got a brick and block wall in my kitchen,
if i paint it now with masonary paint
will it be easy to plaster over it in a few months or years?

No.

Or would I be causing problems?

Yes.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

what problems? because brick is porous and paint not? couldnt i PVA over the paint?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 October 2017 21:17:48 UTC+1, DICEGEORGE wrote:
what problems? because brick is porous and paint not? couldnt i
PVA over the paint?

You might be okay scoring/scratching the painted surface to key the plaster to the brick, but it's probably a lot of extra unnecessary work.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 13:17:46 -0700 (PDT)
DICEGEORGE wrote:

what problems? because brick is porous and paint not? couldnt i PVA
over the paint?

I am not a plasterer, but I've seen underlying paint blister when
plastered over. Sometimes the bubbles dry back, sometimes they don't...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/17 21:17, DICEGEORGE wrote:
what problems? because brick is porous and paint not? couldnt i PVA over the paint?

PVA is the usual way - check it's sound, if not, wire brush then PVA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2017 22:00, Tim Watts wrote:
On 08/10/17 21:17, DICEGEORGE wrote:
what problems? because brick is porous and paint not? couldnt i PVA
over the paint?

PVA is the usual way - check it's sound, if not, wire brush then PVA

Its the way plasters would "glue and set" a painted artexed ceiling for
example. Knock of the highest spots mechanically, roller with PVA, and
the plaster onto it while still tacky.

(note this is for a skim coat - might not work so well for a full base
coat of plaster!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 19:03:46 +0100
Tim Streater wrote:

If it's not textured, it's not artex is it?

Artex is the coating material itself, a cross between paint and
skim-coat (so it has fillers added to give it "build").

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

If it's not textured, it's not artex is it?

Artex is the coating material itself, a cross between paint and
skim-coat (so it has fillers added to give it "build").

The Artex I've used as a plaster substitute is a powder, not unlike PB joint filler. Speed is the essence of plastering, and I'm extremely slow, so the longer open time is a bonus for me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

If it's not textured, it's not artex is it?

Artex is the coating material itself, a cross between paint and
skim-coat (so it has fillers added to give it "build").

The Artex I've used as a plaster substitute is a powder, not unlike
PB joint filler.

That's the stuff.

Speed is the essence of plastering, and I'm
extremely slow, so the longer open time is a bonus for me.

I'm rubbish at plastering, but at a chimney-breast-sized area I've not
had a problem with it going off too fast. Perhaps you're braver than
me. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

If it's not textured, it's not artex is it?

Artex is the coating material itself, a cross between paint and
skim-coat (so it has fillers added to give it "build").

The Artex I've used as a plaster substitute is a powder, not unlike
PB joint filler.

That's the stuff.

Speed is the essence of plastering, and I'm
extremely slow, so the longer open time is a bonus for me.

I'm rubbish at plastering, but at a chimney-breast-sized area I've not
had a problem with it going off too fast. Perhaps you're braver than
me. :-)

Me too - and for that sort of area, I find you can actually sit around
for a coffee between coats.

Now a 4m x 2.4m wall is about the most I can handle single handed - I've
just got one on when it's time to wash up, mix and apply the 2nd coat.