Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default how long does tin of pait take to dry out

I have half of a 5L can of emulsion paint that I don't need.

I am told by my LA that I am not allowed to throw it away whilst it is still
soft (yes I know that I can ignore this advice and nothing will happen).

So OOI, if leave the top off the can how long will it take to dry out?

(It's been open for 48 hours already with no sign of any change in the
consistency)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2017 12:53, tim... wrote:
I have half of a 5L can of emulsion paint that I don't need.

I am told by my LA that I am not allowed to throw it away whilst it is
still soft (yes I know that I can ignore this advice and nothing will
happen).

So OOI, if leave the top off the can how long will it take to dry out?

(It's been open for 48 hours already with no sign of any change in the
consistency)

tim

Not suggesting this as a solution, but we've all been washing out
brushes, rollers, and paint kettles down the drain since emulsion paint
and PVA was invented. Does anyone know the actual consequences of
putting the particulate from emulsion paint down the sewage system?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"tim..." Wrote in message:
I have half of a 5L can of emulsion paint that I don't need.

I am told by my LA that I am not allowed to throw it away whilst it is still
soft (yes I know that I can ignore this advice and nothing will happen).

So OOI, if leave the top off the can how long will it take to dry out?

(It's been open for 48 hours already with no sign of any change in the
consistency)

tim

Years.
Pour it out on newspapers.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"jim" k wrote in message
"tim..." Wrote in message:
I have half of a 5L can of emulsion paint that I don't need.

I am told by my LA that I am not allowed to throw it away whilst it is
still
soft (yes I know that I can ignore this advice and nothing will happen).

So OOI, if leave the top off the can how long will it take to dry out?

(It's been open for 48 hours already with no sign of any change in the
consistency)

Years.
Pour it out on newspapers.

As with so many things, Sod's Law applies and the rate of the effect is
inversely proportional to how much you want it to happen :-) If you want to
keep the paint for future use, it will dry out quickly in the tin; if you
want it to dry up so you can throw it away, it will take f-ing ages :-(

It really annoys me that recycling centres charge for taking so much stuff
these days. The concept of paying to throw something away (when I do the
delivering to the tip, rather than having it collected) is absurd.

I have to pay for:

- waste oil, if it's more than the amount that would result from changing a
car's engine oil

- rubble: plasterboard, cement, stones dug out of garden

Not sure about paint. I've not investigated that.

The previous owners of our house left a 5-gallon drum of unspecified oil and
a bag of semi-solid cement in a tumbledown shed (*******s!). When I removed
a cupboard in the kitchen, I removed several large sheets of plasterboard. I
dug our garden and removed lots of flat sheets of sandstone that were
naturally-occurring just below the surface (I could crazy-pave the garden
several times over). I was able to take some of the stone and broken-up
plasterboard to the tip when they let you do it for free, but restricted you
to two rubble sacks per month - so I took two bags to each of three
different tips in the area each month for several months. Now I'd have to
pay for each bag - something like £10/bag.

A nearby council (not the one where we live) has closed all its recycling
centres because they say that everything can be collected at the roadside.
Right, so they'll take several dustbinfuls of twigs, branches and stems? And
they'll take a shedful of general waste, if I sort it into metal, wood and
landfill? I thought not. They will take garden waste - but only one wheely
bin at a time and you have to pay £35/year. At least where we live, there is
the alternative of not paying for garden waste and taking it to the time
myself.

I bet a lot of people from that area take stuff to the tips run by
neighbouring councils.

The problem is that you need to get rid of large amounts of waste
infrequently, and don't want to have to keep a huge pile of it so you can
drip-feed it, one binful per fortnight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2017 13:31, newshound wrote:
On 08/10/2017 12:53, tim... wrote:
I have half of a 5L can of emulsion paint that I don't need.

I am told by my LA that I am not allowed to throw it away whilst it is
still soft (yes I know that I can ignore this advice and nothing will
happen).

So OOI, if leave the top off the can how long will it take to dry out?

(It's been open for 48 hours already with no sign of any change in the
consistency)

tim

Not suggesting this as a solution, but we've all been washing out
brushes, rollers, and paint kettles down the drain since emulsion paint
and PVA was invented. Does anyone know the actual consequences of
putting the particulate from emulsion paint down the sewage system?

https://tinyurl.com/kw4kak8

Cheers
--
Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 October 2017 13:03:02 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
I have half of a 5L can of emulsion paint that I don't need.
I am told by my LA that I am not allowed to throw it away whilst it is still
soft (yes I know that I can ignore this advice and nothing will happen).
So OOI, if leave the top off the can how long will it take to dry out?

Ages, because it's water based. It would be quicker in warm weather.

Solvent-based paint will evaporate much more quickly (except for the dribbles down the back of my kitchen cupboards, which are still sticky after several weeks).

I think water-based emulsion is okay in the garden as long as it doesn't get into watercourses. And if any local cats appear with Carmine Blush paws you'll know who's been crapping in your lettuces. :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2017 12:53, tim... wrote:
I have half of a 5L can of emulsion paint that I don't need.

I am told by my LA that I am not allowed to throw it away whilst it is
still soft (yes I know that I can ignore this advice and nothing will
happen).

So OOI, if leave the top off the can how long will it take to dry out?

(It's been open for 48 hours already with no sign of any change in the
consistency)

tim

A bit of cement or plaster mixed in would probably help.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 October 2017 13:03:02 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
I have half of a 5L can of emulsion paint that I don't need.

I am told by my LA that I am not allowed to throw it away whilst it is still
soft (yes I know that I can ignore this advice and nothing will happen).

So OOI, if leave the top off the can how long will it take to dry out?

(It's been open for 48 hours already with no sign of any change in the
consistency)

tim

can't you freegle/freecycle/gumtree it?
Is there any law against it going down the drain if water based?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
I have half of a 5L can of emulsion paint that I don't need.

I am told by my LA that I am not allowed to throw it away whilst it is
still soft (yes I know that I can ignore this advice and nothing will
happen).

Put it on FreeCycle?

--
*Re-elect nobody

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
tim... wrote:
I have half of a 5L can of emulsion paint that I don't need.

I am told by my LA that I am not allowed to throw it away whilst it is
still soft (yes I know that I can ignore this advice and nothing will
happen).

Put it on FreeCycle?

seems too much hassle for 5 quids worth of paint

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 October 2017 17:05:48 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
Put it on FreeCycle?

seems too much hassle for 5 quids worth of paint

I'd be quite pleased if anyone has half a tin of Sweetcorn Yellow going spare. Just need to touch up bits of the lounge where the newspaper is poking through the pollyfiller.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 08/10/2017 12:53, tim... wrote:
I have half of a 5L can of emulsion paint that I don't need.

I am told by my LA that I am not allowed to throw it away whilst it is
still soft (yes I know that I can ignore this advice and nothing will
happen).

So OOI, if leave the top off the can how long will it take to dry out?

(It's been open for 48 hours already with no sign of any change in the
consistency)

tim

Not suggesting this as a solution, but we've all been washing out brushes,
rollers, and paint kettles down the drain since emulsion paint and PVA was
invented. Does anyone know the actual consequences of putting the
particulate from emulsion paint down the sewage system?

Depends on the state of the sewer system.

If there are fat bergs in it, and there normally will be, its going to make
them worse.

Even if there isnt, its going to be pretty bad for the sewerage treatment
works if you arent a decent way from that so it get diluted etc.

If the sewer just gets dumped on the local beach or river, might cause a
stir.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
"jim" k wrote in message
"tim..." Wrote in message:
[...]

We get charged for everything taken to the dump, by the trailer or car load.

And have a couple of free dump weekends a year too.

No use to the average flat renter tho has something large like a sofa
die on them tho. The weekly bin collection will only take what fits in
\the bins and we no longer have a couple of collections of bigger
stuff a year, that was replaced by the free dump weekends.

And we get plenty of stuff dumped in the scrub around the
town with the local council chucking a tantrum about that.

I even had a mate of mine on the local council and the ****wit couldn't
be convinced to scrap the charge to dump anything at the dump.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Most of tips round here you need a permit from your council and hence none
of the nearby councils will take it without proof of residency. This is what
happens when you involve private companies in waste collection. they will
take less and less, charge extra for more than what somebody thinks is
reasonably. Nobody asked you of course even though its supposed to be paid
for from council tax,
I have to pay double what you do to get a green wheelie bin so garden waste
is taken as blindies cannot drive to the tip. there are no concessions.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"NY" wrote in message
"jim" k wrote in message
"tim..." Wrote in message:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2017 14:31, newshound wrote:
On 09/10/2017 01:18, John Rumm wrote:
On 08/10/2017 14:44, wrote:
On Sunday, 8 October 2017 13:03:02 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
I have half of a 5L can of emulsion paint that I don't need.

I am told by my LA that I am not allowed to throw it away whilst it
is still
soft (yes I know that I can ignore this advice and nothing will
happen).

So OOI, if leave the top off the can how long will it take to dry out?

(It's been open for 48 hours already with no sign of any change in the
consistency)

tim

can't you freegle/freecycle/gumtree it?
Is there any law against it going down the drain if water based?

Many paints are water borne, not water based. I.e. the water is a
carrier, not the solvent. Once the solids in the paint have cured,
they will not redissolve in water.

But what happens to the distributed particles when they get into a
sewage works? I'd imagine the titanium dioxide filler/pigment is pretty
benign. What about the vinyl particles? Do they biodegrade?

As I said before, over a lifetime I expect we all wash five litres of
emulsion out of rollers and brushes down the drain. Does a litre of
surplus paint in one go constitute an environmental outrage?

If well enough diluted probably not... although the concentration of one
litre disposed of in one session will be far higher than a litre washed
out of a roller over days / weeks.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2017 14:44, wrote:
On Sunday, 8 October 2017 13:03:02 UTC+1, tim...Â* wrote:
[...]

Yes, but my sewage is merged with that from several thousand households
before it reaches the sewage works. So I doubt if it would be
distinguishable at the far end, especially if done at tea time on a Sunday.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2017 14:44, wrote:
[...]

Not much comfort if its your sewer pipe that gets blocked though!

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2017 14:44, wrote:
[...]

Can you see that happening, really? Taking as read that you would
obviously dilute it 20:1 or so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2017 14:44, wrote:
[...]

Not in a hurry, although I suppose you only need look at how waste pipes
can get blocked by fat or laundry detergent over time...

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |