Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Metal finishing (refurbishment)

Thought I posted this a couple of days ago - but can't find it.

I have a Hydrofoil, with machined billet Aluminium wings.
These are Anodized as used in salt water.

Wings need a refurbishment.

So I need to repair a few minor dings in the sharp rear edge, have it
stripped on existing Ano and then I can get it re-anodize.

Anybody know of anyone who does such work.
Needs a small amount of high quality TIG I expect and re-shaping .... (I
could do the latter myself)

I can get it done in the US (where they originated)... but cost to ship
there & back is prohibitive.

Typical pic of wings ...
http://foiling.weebly.com/uploads/3/...36189_orig.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick wrote:

Thought I posted this a couple of days ago - but can't find it.

You did, can you find someone who does metal shaping with an English
Wheel? Or is the bit needing re-shaping hollow?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03-Oct-17 1:42 PM, rick wrote:
Thought I posted this a couple of days ago - but can't find it.

I have a Hydrofoil, with machined billet Aluminium wings.
These are Anodized as used in salt water.

Wings need a refurbishment.

So I need to repair a few minor dings in the sharp rear edge, have it
stripped on existing Ano and then I can get it re-anodize.

Anybody know of anyone who does such work.
Needs a small amount of high quality TIG I expect and re-shaping .... (I
could do the latter myself)

I can get it done in the US (where they originated)... but cost to ship
there & back is prohibitive.

Typical pic of wings ...
http://foiling.weebly.com/uploads/3/...36189_orig.jpg

IME, the only way to find people who can do work that is a bit out of
the ordinary is to do a lot of leg work. Search business directories for
companies that might be able to do what you want, make a list of
possibilities, then visit them with the job. Having the item in their
hands is a much better way for them to assess the work than you will
ever get by sending pictures or descriptions. Even if they can't do what
you want they might know somebody who can.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2017 13:53, Andy Burns wrote:
rick wrote:

Thought I posted this a couple of days ago - but can't find it.

You did, can you find someone who does metal shaping with an English
Wheel? Or is the bit needing re-shaping hollow?

Sorry about re-post can't find previous one

The edge is flat bevel no hollow edge ground.
I guess I will need someone with precision TIG skills (must exist
somewhere), I can do the re-profile.

The material is high quality 6061 billet Aluminium ... so machines well,
not some dodgy mag-alloy casting.

I seem to recall you can dissolve off Anodizing, can't remember what
with, probably preferable to abrading off

Looked it up and saw a warm bicarbonate of soda solution or 50% Caustic
soda mix will strip Ano. Never tried it though.