Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hit & Miss Ventilator

I just had one of these installed.

I thought they were called air brick covers/ventilator, so why is this thing called a Hit & Miss Ventilator ?

http://rts.vents.co.uk/blog/products...s-ventilators/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Oct 2017 06:39:00 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
coalesced the vapors of human experience into
a viable and meaningful comprehension...

I just had one of these installed.

I thought they were called air brick covers/ventilator, so why is this thing called a Hit & Miss Ventilator ?

http://rts.vents.co.uk/blog/products...s-ventilators/

Perhaps because they have a vague resemblance to a wooden structure
such as this:
https://www.jacksons-fencing.co.uk/f...-vertical.aspx

It's probably one of those terms that is better just to accept rather
than rationalise.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2017 14:39, whisky-dave wrote:
I just had one of these installed.

I thought they were called air brick covers/ventilator, so why is this thing called a Hit & Miss Ventilator ?

http://rts.vents.co.uk/blog/products...s-ventilators/

"hit and miss" signifies the way they can be adjusted by sliding across
the moveable screen.

OED has a definition:

Chambers's Techn. Dict. 417/2 Hit-and-miss ventilator, a ventilating
device consisting of a slotted plate over which may be moved another
slotted plate, so that the openings for access of air may be more or
less restricted as required.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Oct 2017 06:39:00 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
coalesced the vapors of human experience into
a viable and meaningful comprehension...

I just had one of these installed.

I thought they were called air brick covers/ventilator, so why is this
thing called a Hit & Miss Ventilator ?

http://rts.vents.co.uk/blog/products...s-ventilators/

Perhaps because they have a vague resemblance to a wooden structure
such as this:
https://www.jacksons-fencing.co.uk/f...-vertical.aspx

It's probably one of those terms that is better just to accept rather
than rationalise.

spot on .......also comes from drainage trap top piece cast iron covers
which ventilate and at the same time stop debris dropping into the
trap.......

http://www.clark-drain.com/images/pr...2_382_2_35.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Am 02.10.2017 um 15:39 schrieb whisky-dave:
I just had one of these installed.

I thought they were called air brick covers/ventilator, so why is this thing called a Hit & Miss Ventilator ?

http://rts.vents.co.uk/blog/products...s-ventilators/

My theory, that i will try to explain. (But will fail, because my
English is not good, i am a Kraut)
Look at this:
http://rts.vents.co.uk/blog/product-...ss-ventilator/

It is made of 2 identical sheets of metal with holes in it.
The sheets can be moved parallel.
If a hole in sheet 1 meets a hole in sheet 2: Hit! -Airflow
If a hole in sheet 1 meets a 'non hole area' in sheet 2: Miss! - No Airflow

Hope, you see what i am trying to say.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 October 2017 15:19:54 UTC+1, Matthias Czech wrote:
Am 02.10.2017 um 15:39 schrieb whisky-dave:
I just had one of these installed.

I thought they were called air brick covers/ventilator, so why is this thing called a Hit & Miss Ventilator ?

http://rts.vents.co.uk/blog/products...s-ventilators/

My theory, that i will try to explain. (But will fail, because my
English is not good, i am a Kraut)

Ah ... Kraftwerk , Neu!, Einstürzende Neubauten, Xmal Deutschland.

Look at this:
http://rts.vents.co.uk/blog/product-...ss-ventilator/

It is made of 2 identical sheets of metal with holes in it.
The sheets can be moved parallel.
If a hole in sheet 1 meets a hole in sheet 2: Hit! -Airflow
If a hole in sheet 1 meets a 'non hole area' in sheet 2: Miss! - No Airflow

Hope, you see what i am trying to say.

Yes I see what you mean cheers, still seems an odd description for such a thing.

Ours are plastic cheap Scheisse :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Am 02.10.2017 um 16:41 schrieb whisky-dave:
[Hit-and-miss grilles]

Ours are plastic cheap Scheisse :-)

After Brexit they will be made of pure gold. .Presumably ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 October 2017 16:11:43 UTC+1, Matthias Czech wrote:
Am 02.10.2017 um 16:41 schrieb whisky-dave:
[Hit-and-miss grilles]

Ours are plastic cheap Scheisse :-)

After Brexit they will be made of pure gold. .Presumably ;-)

I'm hoping we'll have proper windows by then not plasterboard with a hole cut in it for ventaliation !

These grey areas on the wall will be windows hopfully by April 2018.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52t4ABF7BJs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
whisky-dave writes

I thought they were called air brick covers/ventilator, so why is this
thing called a Hit & Miss Ventilator ?

How boring. I thought there was going to be a David Jacobs connection.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Oct 2017 21:56:43 +0100, Graeme wrote:

In message ,
whisky-dave writes

I thought they were called air brick covers/ventilator, so why is this
thing called a Hit & Miss Ventilator ?

How boring. I thought there was going to be a David Jacobs connection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote

I just had one of these installed.

I thought they were called air brick covers/ventilator, so why is this
thing called a Hit & Miss Ventilator ?

http://rts.vents.co.uk/blog/products...s-ventilators/

To grab your attention to get you to buy it, stupid.

It clearly worked with someone as stupid as you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Monday, 2 October 2017 15:19:54 UTC+1, Matthias Czech wrote:
Am 02.10.2017 um 15:39 schrieb whisky-dave:
I just had one of these installed.

I thought they were called air brick covers/ventilator, so why is this
thing called a Hit & Miss Ventilator ?

http://rts.vents.co.uk/blog/products...s-ventilators/

My theory, that i will try to explain. (But will fail, because my
English is not good, i am a Kraut)

Ah ... Kraftwerk , Neu!, Einstürzende Neubauten, Xmal Deutschland.

Bloody wogs, they're everywhere.

Look at this:
http://rts.vents.co.uk/blog/product-...ss-ventilator/

It is made of 2 identical sheets of metal with holes in it.
The sheets can be moved parallel.
If a hole in sheet 1 meets a hole in sheet 2: Hit! -Airflow
If a hole in sheet 1 meets a 'non hole area' in sheet 2: Miss! - No
Airflow

Hope, you see what i am trying to say.

Yes I see what you mean cheers, still seems an odd description for such a
thing.

Ours are plastic cheap Scheisse :-)

Typical wog.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Because of the lining up or non lining up of the holes in the static and
moving parts.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
I just had one of these installed.

I thought they were called air brick covers/ventilator, so why is this
thing called a Hit & Miss Ventilator ?

http://rts.vents.co.uk/blog/products...s-ventilators/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 3 October 2017 02:48:33 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote

I just had one of these installed.

I thought they were called air brick covers/ventilator, so why is this
thing called a Hit & Miss Ventilator ?

http://rts.vents.co.uk/blog/products...s-ventilators/

To grab your attention to get you to buy it, stupid.

Didn't grab my attention until I saw the empty packet on the floor and I put it in the bin, bit late for me to buy it then as it had already been installed.

Whirlpool toploader hit and miss engaging during spin Doc Home Repair 3 November 4th 10 05:03 PM
Where to find 6" x 6" hit and miss ventilator? TC UK diy 12 February 3rd 10 10:18 PM
Plans for hit-or-miss engine? Dave Hinz Metalworking 23 August 7th 07 01:04 AM
hit or miss Cozy Chadsey Home Repair 2 December 19th 05 10:02 AM
What is "hit and miss" wood classification? Bay Area Dave Woodworking 2 September 5th 03 07:10 PM