Posted to uk.d-i-y
TC TC is offline

Default Where to find 6" x 6" hit and miss ventilator?

I've looked in all sorts of places but can never find this size; any
ideas? It's for use in my sitting room to cover a hole put in when I
had the cavity wall insulation done - building regs apparently.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 2, 12:36 pm, TC wrote:
I've looked in all sorts of places but can never find this size; any
ideas? It's for use in my sitting room to cover a hole put in when I
had the cavity wall insulation done - building regs apparently.

bes.co.uk ??

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 2, 12:36 pm, TC wrote:
I've looked in all sorts of places but can never find this size; any
ideas? It's for use in my sitting room to cover a hole put in when I
had the cavity wall insulation done - building regs apparently.

or ebay?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TC" wrote in message
I've looked in all sorts of places but can never find this size; any
ideas? It's for use in my sitting room to cover a hole put in when I
had the cavity wall insulation done - building regs apparently.

Use a slightly larger size?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TC TC is offline

On Feb 2, 2:21*pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
"TC" wrote in message

... I've looked in all sorts of places but can never find this size; any
ideas? *It's for use in my sitting room to cover a hole put in when I
had the cavity wall insulation done - building regs apparently.

Use a slightly larger size?

That does seem to be the only option which seems a shame.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TC" wrote in message

I've looked in all sorts of places but can never find this size; any
ideas? It's for use in my sitting room to cover a hole put in when I
had the cavity wall insulation done - building regs apparently.

Use a slightly larger size?

That does seem to be the only option which seems a shame.

I had much the same problem when replacing a vent - they don't seem to do 6"
* 6" any more.
I think I had to go with something like 6" * 9" - although this was
permanent (gas back boiler) not hit and miss.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TC wrote:
I've looked in all sorts of places but can never find this size; any
ideas? It's for use in my sitting room to cover a hole put in when I
had the cavity wall insulation done - building regs apparently.

If it was put in as part of the CWI, you can't use a hit and miss vent - it
needs to be permanently vented to outdoors.
It's for the correct combustion of your fire, whether it's gas or solid
fuel.

That said, it's completely up to you and I have known people to block them
off completely, but it's your (and your family's) safety at stake.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CWI and floor vents was: 6" x 6" hit and miss ventilator?

In article ,
"Phil L" wrote:

TC wrote:
It's for use in my sitting room to cover a hole put in when I
had the cavity wall insulation done - building regs apparently.

If it was put in as part of the CWI, you can't use a hit and miss vent - it
needs to be permanently vented to outdoors.
It's for the correct combustion of your fire, whether it's gas or solid
fuel.

That said, it's completely up to you and I have known people to block them
off completely, but it's your (and your family's) safety at stake.

I'm extremely interested in this thread. (Originally "Where to find 6 x
6 ...", from TC)

We had CWI put in about 2 years ago; at the time we had a gas fire in
the living room. The CWI guys said that strictly speaking I should have
a vent in the floor. I demurred, not wanting the arsing about of
cutting holes in a floor with a fitted carpet etc. The guy agreed that
the room was probably "draughty" enough (i.e. had enough natural
ventilation) to leave out the vent.

Two years on, my neighbour is having CWI put in, and the guys say that
he *must* have a vent. (Curiously, he says that they then went on to
say that the vent will make the room so draughty that it's not worth
putting in CWI!!! I think something must have been lost in the
translation he otherwise they're going round talking themselves out
of jobs.))

Have they tightened up the regs?

My neighbour's now thinking about the situation. However he has an open
fi in what way does an open fire present the same threats as a gas
fire? I thought we were worried about carbon monoxide from
inadequately ventilated gas fires? I thought open fires simply dragged
air from wherever, or simply do not burn so well if they can't get
enough (i.e., there's no insidious threat).

I can't help feeling that we're being subject to the broad-brush
legislation of worst-case scenarios, in the much-lamented absence of
common sense and responsible attitudes.

Anyway: vent or no vent? Currently I haven't got one, but I was
thinking of inserting one in my floor anyway, in order to prevent the
fire (I now have an open fire btw) dragging in cold air under the doors.
And I would fit a hit/miss vent. Unless my friends here absolutely
positively forbid me to.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 04:36:39 -0800 (PST), TC wrote:

I've looked in all sorts of places but can never find this size; any
ideas?

What's a "hit and miss" ventilator? Not heard the term before,
reading the thread it appears to be related to free air ventilation
for a fire.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John L wrote:
In article ,
"Phil L" wrote:

TC wrote:
[...]

Yes.CWI installers have to do spillage tests before and after installation,
if the latter fails then a vent goes in, likewise all open fires require a
vent to outside

My neighbour's now thinking about the situation. However he has an
open fi in what way does an open fire present the same threats as
a gas fire? I thought we were worried about carbon monoxide from
inadequately ventilated gas fires? I thought open fires simply
dragged air from wherever, or simply do not burn so well if they
can't get enough (i.e., there's no insidious threat).

in a sealed room (highly unlikely scenario I know), a fire will use the
oxygen within the room for combustion and create carbon dioxide, if the room
is sealed, the fire will use the carbon dioxide and give out carbon
monoxide, this is when the trouble starts.
Obviously, no rooms are completely sealed - people are opening doors all
over the house which causes air movement, but with insufficient ventilation,
CO levels can rise, and the worst part is, it accumulates in the bloodstream
a little each day, often it can take weeks or even months to build up to
critical levels, by which time it's often too late

I can't help feeling that we're being subject to the broad-brush
legislation of worst-case scenarios, in the much-lamented absence of
common sense and responsible attitudes.

Yep, half a dozen people die from CO poisoning out of 60 million and the H&S
brigade declare that it's too many and we all have to live in draughty
caves.

Anyway: vent or no vent? Currently I haven't got one, but I was
thinking of inserting one in my floor anyway, in order to prevent the
fire (I now have an open fire btw) dragging in cold air under the
doors. And I would fit a hit/miss vent. Unless my friends here
absolutely positively forbid me to.

John

You can't control where the fire draws it's air from - if you have
permavents in your double glazing, it will utilise this, if you have gaps
around doors it will utilise these, and if you knock a big hole through your
wall and put a vent in, it will still utilise 1 and 2

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Phil L" wrote:

(lots of stuff)

Phil: thanks: very useful indeed.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TC TC is offline

On Feb 2, 6:02*pm, "Phil L" wrote:
TC wrote:
I've looked in all sorts of places but can never find this size; any
ideas? *It's for use in my sitting room to cover a hole put in when I
had the cavity wall insulation done - building regs apparently.

If it was put in as part of the CWI, you can't use a hit and miss vent - it
needs to be permanently vented to outdoors.
It's for the correct combustion of your fire, whether it's gas or solid
fuel.

That said, it's completely up to you and I have known people to block them
off completely, but it's your (and your family's) safety at stake.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

To be honest I'm now thinking of blocking it off with a wooden pannel
- currently there's an old T-shirt in there! It's an open fire that I
have which doesn't get used much, and it's been there since the house
was built since the 50s so I'll take any associated risk of blocking
the vent - the house is quite big if that helps.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 19:14:29 GMT, Phil L wrote:

in a sealed room (highly unlikely scenario I know), a fire will use the
oxygen within the room for combustion and create carbon dioxide, if the
room is sealed, the fire will use the carbon dioxide and give out carbon
monoxide, this is when the trouble starts.

The trouble starts when the oxygen levels in room fall below that
required for life.... The fire will use *all* the oxygen in the room
given a chance. As the level of oxygen falls CO will be produced but
once the oxygen is gone I'm pretty sure the fire goes out rather than
further reducing the CO2 to CO

Yep, half a dozen people die from CO poisoning out of 60 million and the
H&S brigade declare that it's too many and we all have to live in
draughty caves.

And yet they don't ban cars that kill 7 or more people a day.

--
Cheers
Dave.