Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Junction boxes underfloorboards

Hi All,

I went to run the cable for my bathroom supply and discovered the sockets on this level were fed from the floor above. I had assumed the electrician had run the ring on the same floor. Anyway... the only real option for me now is to cut into the ring rather than doing this at a nearby socket.

So... question is... can I do this using wago connectors under the floorboards? I.e. cut into one of the wires and connect the 2 feeds to the bathroom (to extend the ring) to the ends I have just cut with wago connectors -if you see what I mean?

I have done some Googling and seems mixed views and the ones I found were several years old so with the regs changing may be out of date.

thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks Andy. What do you mean by "de-rated per conductor and total
per enclosure"? I guess it might be to do with me not understanding what maintenance free means. Is it that the wires are not under physical load and could be pulled free at some time into the future? Wouldn't clipping them to the joists stop this?

So... If I use the boxes in the link you sent to out the wires and wagos in I should be fine?

I much prefer wagos to those screw down terminal connectors. I have had much more trouble with them when having to put more than 1 wire in the same fitting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Aha. Thanks Andy. Great explanation. So if I use 773's and this box I should be good to go?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wagobox-junction-box/7355f

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

So if I use 773's and this box I should be good to go?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/wagobox-junction-box/7355f

Provide they're not 773-10x series, then yes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2017 10:13, wrote:
Hi All,

I went to run the cable for my bathroom supply and discovered the
sockets on this level were fed from the floor above. I had assumed
the electrician had run the ring on the same floor. Anyway... the
only real option for me now is to cut into the ring rather than doing
this at a nearby socket.

So... question is... can I do this using wago connectors under the
floorboards?

Yes.

(in reality many conventional screw terminal junction boxes have been
installed in this situation, and they rarely cause problems. There is
also some argument about what counts as "inaccessible". Some would argue
that under a conventional floor board that can be lifted, would still
count as accessible)

I.e. cut into one of the wires and connect the 2 feeds
to the bathroom (to extend the ring) to the ends I have just cut with
wago connectors -if you see what I mean?

Personally I would probably use crimps in some form of enclosure,
although generally I like to make terminations at a visible accessory of
some sort whenever possible.

I have done some Googling and seems mixed views and the ones I found
were several years old so with the regs changing may be out of date.

I am not immediately aware of any changes that would affect this
particular situation. (beyond the relatively recent availability of
maintenance free terminations other than crimps)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
On 30/09/2017 10:13, wrote:
Hi All,

I went to run the cable for my bathroom supply and discovered the
sockets on this level were fed from the floor above. I had assumed
the electrician had run the ring on the same floor. Anyway... the
only real option for me now is to cut into the ring rather than doing
this at a nearby socket.

So... question is... can I do this using wago connectors under the
floorboards?

Yes.

(in reality many conventional screw terminal junction boxes have been
installed in this situation, and they rarely cause problems. There is

A properly installed screw terminal junction box has significantly
higher contact pressure than a wago, so I would expect longer life.
Actually, I can't think of any other connection method that has
contact pressure as low as a wago, except perhaps a screwit.

also some argument about what counts as "inaccessible". Some would argue
that under a conventional floor board that can be lifted, would still
count as accessible)

I say "accessible" means you can gain access without damaging
decorations, fittings, or furnishings in the process. So if
you have bare boards, fine, but if you have laid a fitted carpet
or interlocking timber floor, then that's not accessible through
the top of the floor anymore.

I.e. cut into one of the wires and connect the 2 feeds
to the bathroom (to extend the ring) to the ends I have just cut with
wago connectors -if you see what I mean?

Personally I would probably use crimps in some form of enclosure,
although generally I like to make terminations at a visible accessory of
some sort whenever possible.

I try to ensure there are no inaccessible connections, but where
I had no choice (e.g. joining to existing cable end under the floor),
I used a standard circular thermosetting plastic junction box, but
soldered the connections afterwards. However, if you aren't skilled
in electrical soldering, this isn't suitable for you.

I would not use Wagos in an inaccessible location.

I have done some Googling and seems mixed views and the ones I found
were several years old so with the regs changing may be out of date.

I am not immediately aware of any changes that would affect this
particular situation. (beyond the relatively recent availability of
maintenance free terminations other than crimps)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2017 15:05, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm writes:
On 30/09/2017 10:13, wrote:
[...]

Are you *sure* about that? In the push-in ones used for a single solid
connector, there will be a sharp edge on the spring which is digging
into the annealed copper wire, I would expect the pressure to be close
to the indentation hardness of copper, and maintained by the elasticity
of the spring. In a screwed fitting, the contact pressure will initially
be the same, but now the load path goes through a brass screw and brass
nut (at least in an old-fashioned junction box). Over time, such screws
can become loose for a number of reasons.

I've not got around to disassembling a "lever" type WAGO to see how they
are made, but as it seems to be an over-centre toggle I suspect there is
also an elastic element to help maintain the pressure. I don't know how
the average contact pressure compares with a screw but I would still
expect the "real" contact areas to be close to the indentation hardness.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Hi All,

I went to run the cable for my bathroom supply and discovered the
sockets on this level were fed from the floor above. I had assumed the
electrician had run the ring on the same floor. Anyway... the only real
option for me now is to cut into the ring rather than doing this at a
nearby socket.

So... question is... can I do this using wago connectors under the
floorboards? I.e. cut into one of the wires and connect the 2 feeds to
the bathroom (to extend the ring) to the ends I have just cut with wago
connectors -if you see what I mean?

I have done some Googling and seems mixed views and the ones I found
were several years old so with the regs changing may be out of date.

Why not a simple junction box? If screw connections are good enough at a
socket, why not elsewhere? Under floor boards is considered accessible.

--
*Who are these kids and why are they calling me Mom?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Personally I would probably use crimps in some form of enclosure,
although generally I like to make terminations at a visible accessory of
some sort whenever possible.

How often on a well installed ring do you have problems with the screw
connections in either the sockets or the CU? Only time I've seen this is
when installed by cowboy 'electricians'. Presumably looking for repair
work at some time in the future.

--
*No I haven't stolen it , I'm just a **** driver*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
In a screwed fitting, the contact pressure will initially
be the same, but now the load path goes through a brass screw and brass
nut (at least in an old-fashioned junction box). Over time, such screws
can become loose for a number of reasons.

Only if not properly tightened in the first place.

--
*They told me I had type-A blood, but it was a Type-O.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 16:34:31 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Personally I would probably use crimps in some form of enclosure,
although generally I like to make terminations at a visible accessory of
some sort whenever possible.

How often on a well installed ring do you have problems with the screw
connections in either the sockets or the CU? Only time I've seen this is
when installed by cowboy 'electricians'. Presumably looking for repair
work at some time in the future.

I'm replacing the 12v halogen lighting in my kitchen, and I've found
that many of the 12v screw connections are showing signs of
overheating ranging from discoloration to charring and melting.

That's with stranded wire, which would be carrying just over 4 amps
(12v, 50w) for long periods (basically all evening, which could be 8
hours in the winter). The install is almost 20 years old, and was a
barratts new-build, so it could just be that they weren't tightened
down properly to begin with.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2017 15:05, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I say "accessible" means you can gain access without damaging
decorations, fittings, or furnishings in the process. So if
you have bare boards, fine, but if you have laid a fitted carpet
or interlocking timber floor, then that's not accessible through
the top of the floor anymore.

So laying a fitted carpet or laminate flooring could cause the house
wiring to become non compliant?

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm writes:
On 30/09/2017 10:13, wrote:
[...]

Part of the argument for a wago style connection is that its sprung, and
hence should not lose contact pressure with thermal cycling and
deformation of the cable.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
In a screwed fitting, the contact pressure will initially
be the same, but now the load path goes through a brass screw and brass
nut (at least in an old-fashioned junction box). Over time, such screws
can become loose for a number of reasons.

Only if not properly tightened in the first place.

On circuits that run close to max thermal load, I have seen screws get
lose. The screw position is in effect fixed once tightened, but repeated
heating and cooling of the copper will cause it to flatten and creep at
the pressure point.

(having said that, I would not personally be concerned about having an
under floor screw terminal JB in most circumstances)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Caecilius wrote:
I'm replacing the 12v halogen lighting in my kitchen, and I've found
that many of the 12v screw connections are showing signs of
overheating ranging from discoloration to charring and melting.

That's with stranded wire, which would be carrying just over 4 amps
(12v, 50w) for long periods (basically all evening, which could be 8
hours in the winter). The install is almost 20 years old, and was a
barratts new-build, so it could just be that they weren't tightened
down properly to begin with.

Yes - I'd seen that too with a 'pro' installation. Don't really understand
why, as you'd have to really try to snap one of those screws. Perhaps one
of Adam's apprentices doing a homer?

--
*Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people only once a year.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On circuits that run close to max thermal load, I have seen screws get
lose. The screw position is in effect fixed once tightened, but repeated
heating and cooling of the copper will cause it to flatten and creep at
the pressure point.

So why do CUs have screw connections? That is presumably the place where
the maximum load occurs.

--
*After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2017 18:25, Mike Clarke wrote:
On 30/09/2017 15:05, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I say "accessible" means you can gain access without damaging
decorations, fittings, or furnishings in the process. So if
you have bare boards, fine, but if you have laid a fitted carpet
or interlocking timber floor, then that's not accessible through
the top of the floor anymore.

So laying a fitted carpet or laminate flooring could cause the house
wiring to become non compliant?

I would not consider a carpet a problem.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes - I'd seen that too with a 'pro' installation. Don't really understand
why, as you'd have to really try to snap one of those screws. Perhaps one
of Adam's apprentices doing a homer?

Had one the other day second fix 3 sockets (he's been with us 3 months
and it's only the second time I have worked with him).

He also screwed the faceplates back before I had checked his work. He
pulled a face when I made him remove them as I need to check his work.
One of them has an earth that had fallen out and one of them had a live
that had fallen out. None of the terminals were particularly tight.
I gave him some advice on doing the job properly and the next day on a
different job all of his sockets were spot on.

But I want to know who has been supervising him for the last 3 months.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

That is one of the limitations of an EICR. You sample test the sockets
for tightness (say 20%) but you do not usually lift floorboards to test
JBs (and probably would not know where they were)

Recently I did a lighting rewire and I used JBs as I was only able to
get a 1.0mm down the conduit to the switches and loop in loop out at the
lights would not have worked due to the type of lights. All the jb's are
together under a floorboard (more like a trap door now as it no tongue
and groove left) in the airing cupboard. It took a few hours extra to
get them there and not just fit them where it was convenient for me.

This trap door is noted on the installation certificate and the customer
even labelled up the CU with the info.

The upstairs lights are done the same with all the jb's by the loft
hatch on a panel above the insulation that the customer installed for me.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Clarke writes:
On 30/09/2017 15:05, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I say "accessible" means you can gain access without damaging
decorations, fittings, or furnishings in the process. So if
you have bare boards, fine, but if you have laid a fitted carpet
or interlocking timber floor, then that's not accessible through
the top of the floor anymore.

So laying a fitted carpet or laminate flooring could cause the house
wiring to become non compliant?

IME, one trade often damages the work of another...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On circuits that run close to max thermal load, I have seen screws get
lose. The screw position is in effect fixed once tightened, but repeated
heating and cooling of the copper will cause it to flatten and creep at
the pressure point.

So why do CUs have screw connections? That is presumably the place where
the maximum load occurs.

They are better engineered, and in any case are *not* normally used at
peak load. And they are reasonably accessible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2017 10:40, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Mike Clarke writes:
On 30/09/2017 15:05, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I say "accessible" means you can gain access without damaging
decorations, fittings, or furnishings in the process. So if
you have bare boards, fine, but if you have laid a fitted carpet
or interlocking timber floor, then that's not accessible through
the top of the floor anymore.

So laying a fitted carpet or laminate flooring could cause the house
wiring to become non compliant?

IME, one trade often damages the work of another...

You only have to look at the creation of part P. If only painters and
decorators had to belong to a 'professional body' pass an apprenticeship
and pay subs to a private quango.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What a load of ******** that is. It's done sweet FA for electric safety.

If only painters and
decorators had to belong to a 'professional body' pass an apprenticeship
and pay subs to a private quango.

Well they can do an apprenticeship. It tells them when to have a tea
break:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On circuits that run close to max thermal load, I have seen screws
get lose. The screw position is in effect fixed once tightened, but
repeated heating and cooling of the copper will cause it to flatten
and creep at the pressure point.

So why do CUs have screw connections? That is presumably the place
where the maximum load occurs.

They are better engineered, and in any case are *not* normally used at
peak load. And they are reasonably accessible.

So do you check yours for security regularly? Or just wait until a
connection fails as one must assume will happen if it has to be accessible?

--
*Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
Part of the argument for a wago style connection is that its sprung,
and hence should not lose contact pressure with thermal cycling and
deformation of the cable.

Exactly

You think a spring is immune from losing pressure due to thermal cycling?

--
*A fool and his money can throw one hell of a party.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi All

Decided to not go down the Wago route in the end and stick with screw down connectors. In terms of accessable and maintenance free etc. provided they are rated more than 32amp are there any other restrictions on what i can use. Eg. One of these

https://www.screwfix.com/p/30a-3-ter...FQWuUQodglMAYQ

Or normal terminal connectors in a box (I have a couple of push lid ip44 boxes hanging around eg)

Thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/17 14:50, wrote:
Hi All

Decided to not go down the Wago route in the end and stick with screw down connectors. In terms of accessable and maintenance free etc. provided they are rated more than 32amp are there any other restrictions on what i can use. Eg. One of these

https://www.screwfix.com/p/30a-3-ter...FQWuUQodglMAYQ

Or normal terminal connectors in a box (I have a couple of push lid ip44 boxes hanging around eg)

Thanks

Lee.

I used a wiska box for spurring odd a ring final:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WK308B.html

(think it was one of that size, not the larger one)

I used 3 flat cable glands which provide strain relief:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WKP20F254.html

If you can clip the cables near the JB, you do not need strain relief,
but in many ways I prefer the glanded approach - and it keeps it bug free.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KF...d_rLL2R7COnJMR

It's much bulkier than a round JB, but you can lay everythign out
nicely, see that all the cores are under the screws and the box is
liable, so less likely to be damaged by stepping or dropping something
on it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks Tim. Is there anything stopping me using the other 2 options I mentioned? It would save me going to Screwfix as I have the bits already
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I can clip the wire so should be ok. By strain relief does that mean the box has to have a way of gripping the wire eg those plastic strips that you screw down onto the flex in a standard plug?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
Something like the average cable clip isn't going to make any
difference to a good hard pull - if anyone was stupid enough to do
that.

A series of them will, unless you can pull them upwards. Especially if
you stagger them a bit.

Surely no one is going to bother?

Would you pull hard on an existing cable to try and make it reach
something?

I'd have said that restricted to some of Adam's worst apprentices.

--
*Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
Something like the average cable clip isn't going to make any
difference to a good hard pull - if anyone was stupid enough to do
that.

A series of them will, unless you can pull them upwards. Especially if
you stagger them a bit.

Surely no one is going to bother?

Would you pull hard on an existing cable to try and make it reach
something?

The regs are designed so even the most stupid can't do too much harm.

I'd have said that restricted to some of Adam's worst apprentices.