Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Eureka moment

Anyone fitting PIR foam insulation will know that the aluminium foil
tape used has an inbuilt determination to annoy the unwary.

Firstly the adhesive used is stronger than the foil.

Secondly, having begun life as a coil it has a readily fulfilled desire
to revert, attaching to itself with a vigour not achieved with the
intended target.

Thirdly, separating the foil from the protective backing at the torn
edge requires the visual acuity of an eye surgeon and the manual
dexterity of a watch mender.

Yesterday, at a moment of serendipity, I allowed the separating paper to
remain long from the previous run and not torn off with the foil.
Starting the next run was easy because the short stub of foil was ready
for attachment with the paper retained over the roll top under the spare
hand. Rolling out along the joint line is easy because there is a hand
free to manage the waste paper.....
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

Anyone fitting PIR foam insulation will know that the aluminium foil
tape used has an inbuilt determination to annoy the unwary.

I've only used it in about 2m strips, so didn't really encounter the
problems you mention, but I shall try to remember for future use, of
course you always seem to have cut your fingernails very short just
before the jobs that need them for peeling off backings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns writes:
Tim Lamb wrote:

Anyone fitting PIR foam insulation will know that the aluminium foil
tape used has an inbuilt determination to annoy the unwary.

I've only used it in about 2m strips, so didn't really encounter the
problems you mention, but I shall try to remember for future use, of
course you always seem to have cut your fingernails very short just
before the jobs that need them for peeling off backings.

Tip for peeling off the backing - bend a corner back on itself.
The foil stays bent, but the backing tends to spring back straight,
separating from the backing. Needs to be a small piece bent back
though, like 1-2mm, which you do by dragging a fingertip backwards
across the corner.

Don't peel the backing off long lengths and then attempt to move it
in to position. Pull the backing off as you stick it down.

It sticks well to hot surfaces too. Had a couple of DS18B20
temperature sensors stuck to top and bottom of a hot water cylinder
as part of raspberry pi based boiler control for several years in a
relative's house. When I removed them a couple of weeks ago
(cyclinder being stripped out), they were still stuck rock-solid.

--
Andrew Gabriel

eureka moment Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 11 July 27th 15 12:59 PM
Filters for my Eureka chilipicker Electronics Repair 2 December 23rd 05 08:18 PM
Dissatisfied with Eureka The Boss SmartVac Vacuum chemqueries Home Repair 18 August 30th 05 06:42 PM
Should I junk this Eureka Vacuum 4495 Bagless Widetrack dl Home Ownership 3 July 2nd 05 09:59 PM
Vacuum Cleaner Dosn't Suck. Why?...Eureka Boss dl Home Ownership 4 June 29th 05 02:50 AM