Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Conservatory roof replacement.

Hi all,

The talk of cast iron soil pipes reminded me that Mum would like to
replace the corrugated translucent fibreglass conservatory roof with
something that was cleaner and more translucent (light).

It's a simple flat lowish angle slope across the full width of the
house and bounded within 3 walls (either side and the back of the
house).

Dad built a substantial timber frame joist 'grid' that would be ideal
for supporting a Polycarbonate / ally glazing bar DIY roof 'kit' but
the problem is the intrusion of the soil pipe that runs up the back of
the house and to make things worse, also the angled soil pipe from the
upstairs WC (e.g. it's not just a straight pipe going though).

You can't really change the pitch of the roof as it has to follow the
fall of the brickwork on either end and to go higher to get over the
WC stub would take it way too high and lower would probably reduce the
fall too much (and again, look wrong compared with the brick end
walls).

Neighbours who also have a similar setup have constructed various
shaped and flashing coated 'boxes' that try to engulf the pipe and
pipe to wall gap to make it all waterproof. ;-(

So, I was wondering if there was some modern / clever way of dealing
with such a pipework intrusion into the roof (and wallplate) and
without re-routing the soil pipework of course. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2017 14:23, T i m wrote:
[...]

I think the simple answer is "No".

Clad the whole wall somehow, with the soil pipes inside the cladding?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 15:18:42 +0100, newshound
wrote:

snip

I think the simple answer is "No".

Ok, well it's an answer at least so thanks. ;-)

Clad the whole wall somehow, with the soil pipes inside the cladding?

Hmm, now that's what I like, some out_of_the_box / 'blue sky'
thinking!

If we were to build a short flat (well sloped) and slightly raised
rooflet along the whole top edge that could encompass said pipework in
a semi rigid way (flashed into the wall etc) that could then be
treated as the 'wall' and the roof continued down from there. ;-)

I might be going round there tonight so I'll have a look with that in
mind.

Cheers, T i m