DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   door to door salespests (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/596657-door-door-salespests.html)

[email protected] September 11th 17 11:45 PM

door to door salespests

a nice suggestion I just saw:

"Say that the judge made it very clear theyre not allowed to talk to people from charities any more. Not after last time."

NT

Tjoepstil September 12th 17 02:22 AM

door to door salespests

On 11/09/17 23:45, wrote:
a nice suggestion I just saw:

"Say that the judge made it very clear theyre not allowed to talk to people from charities any more. Not after last time."

NT

Lol..

Andrew Mawson[_2_] September 12th 17 10:53 AM

door to door salespests

wrote in message

a nice suggestion I just saw:

"Say that the judge made it very clear theyre not allowed to talk to
people from charities any more. Not after last time."

NT

One advantage of living on a rural trunk road with no pavements or lights is
we dont get door to door sales pests :)

Andrew

Robin September 12th 17 11:27 AM

door to door salespests

On 11/09/2017 23:45, wrote:
a nice suggestion I just saw:

"Say that the judge made it very clear theyre not allowed to talk to people from charities any more. Not after last time."

We found their number reduced greatly after small but clear "No Cold
Caller" signs above letterbox and bell-push. Sellers don't want to
waste their time and charities are fearful of even tighter regulation.
Indeed, the only charity agent who rang the door last year blanched,
apologised profusely and almost cried when I pointed out the sign.

It doesn't stop the Seven Day Adventists though.

--
Robin

JoeJoe September 12th 17 11:51 AM

door to door salespests

On 11/09/2017 23:45, wrote:
a nice suggestion I just saw:

"Say that the judge made it very clear theyre not allowed to talk to people from charities any more. Not after last time."

NT

We get many more charity collectors knocking on our door than sales people.

Any tips for those?

PS: I never let any of them finish their sentence, and simply close the
door immediately, so we are certainly not on the "soft target" list.

whisky-dave[_2_] September 12th 17 11:55 AM

door to door salespests

On Tuesday, 12 September 2017 11:27:27 UTC+1, Robin wrote:
On 11/09/2017 23:45, wrote:
a nice suggestion I just saw:

"Say that the judge made it very clear theyre not allowed to talk to people from charities any more. Not after last time."

We found their number reduced greatly after small but clear "No Cold
Caller" signs above letterbox and bell-push. Sellers don't want to
waste their time and charities are fearful of even tighter regulation.
Indeed, the only charity agent who rang the door last year blanched,
apologised profusely and almost cried when I pointed out the sign.

It doesn't stop the Seven Day Adventists though.

Someone once told me that when the JW visited they got their kid to shout out from another room, mum the waters too hot, to which mum replied shut up and get back in teh saucepan I'm hungry, she was 'gothed' up at the time ready to go out.
although I wouldn't try such a thing in case socail services got called and turn up 6 months later ;-)

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] September 12th 17 02:23 PM

door to door salespests

presented the following explanation :
a nice suggestion I just saw:

"Say that the judge made it very clear theyre not allowed to talk to people
from charities any more. Not after last time."

I just have a laminated note on the garden gate, with something like...

No chuggers, No leaflets, No sales people. Below that it says dogs
loose. It mostly works effectively, the dogs take care of the rest.

We get a lot of them, because it is a street with short distances to
the front door and large rear gardens.

charles September 12th 17 02:55 PM

door to door salespests

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 11:27:23 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 11/09/2017 23:45, wrote:
[quoted text muted]

We found their number reduced greatly after small but clear "No Cold
Caller" signs above letterbox and bell-push

10% of our callers use the bell push. The rest just knock.

And then leave a card saying " we couldn't deliver your parcel" or words to
that effect.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Robin September 12th 17 03:35 PM

door to door salespests

On 12/09/2017 14:31, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 11:27:23 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 11/09/2017 23:45, wrote:
[quoted text muted]

We found their number reduced greatly after small but clear "No Cold
Caller" signs above letterbox and bell-push

10% of our callers use the bell push. The rest just knock.

perhaps we get a better class of callers who can read (and so see the
sign "above letterbox" before knocking)

--
Robin

RobertL September 12th 17 03:41 PM

door to door salespests

On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 11:51:19 AM UTC+1, JoeJoe wrote:
On 11/09/2017 23:45, wrote:
a nice suggestion I just saw:

"Say that the judge made it very clear theyre not allowed to talk to people from charities any more. Not after last time."

NT

We get many more charity collectors knocking on our door than sales people.

Any tips for those?

PS: I never let any of them finish their sentence, and simply close the
door immediately, so we are certainly not on the "soft target" list.

We have a sign:

"please
no political callers
no charity callers
thank you"

it seems to work 100%

Robert

MuddyMike September 12th 17 03:43 PM

door to door salespests

On 12/09/2017 14:31, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 11:27:23 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 11/09/2017 23:45, wrote:
[quoted text muted]

We found their number reduced greatly after small but clear "No Cold
Caller" signs above letterbox and bell-push

10% of our callers use the bell push. The rest just knock.

Why do they do that? I can't here a knock on the door from my desk but
one of the doorbell chimes is just outside the room I work in.

Mike

alan_m September 12th 17 03:46 PM

door to door salespests

On 12/09/2017 14:55, charles wrote:
In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 11:27:23 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 11/09/2017 23:45, wrote:
[quoted text muted]
We found their number reduced greatly after small but clear "No Cold
Caller" signs above letterbox and bell-push

10% of our callers use the bell push. The rest just knock.

And then leave a card saying " we couldn't deliver your parcel" or words to
that effect.

The favourite around my way is for the Royal Mail person to put a card
through saying that the package is too large for the letter box. On
visiting the depot to pick it up I find that my 'package' consists of a
number of small jiffy bags held together with an elastic band. Each of
the jiffy bags would easily fit my letter box but the the delivery
person is too lazy and/or thick to remove the elastic band hence the
combined package is too large. It must take the delivery person longer
to write out the card than to actually remove the band.

I had to collect yet another of these combined packages yesterday.

I do wonder if it is a deliberate policy to ensure enough people use the
depot in order to keep it open. The actually sorting of letters is no
longer performed at the depot - that functionality has been centralised
40 miles away.

tim... September 12th 17 03:55 PM

door to door salespests

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 11:27:23 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 11/09/2017 23:45, wrote:
[quoted text muted]

We found their number reduced greatly after small but clear "No Cold
Caller" signs above letterbox and bell-push

10% of our callers use the bell push. The rest just knock.

that always bloody annoys me

there's a reason there's a bell on my door

it's cos I can't hear people knocking

Bob Eager[_5_] September 12th 17 04:03 PM

door to door salespests

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:43:34 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

On 12/09/2017 14:31, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 11:27:23 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 11/09/2017 23:45, wrote:
[quoted text muted]
We found their number reduced greatly after small but clear "No Cold
Caller" signs above letterbox and bell-push

10% of our callers use the bell push. The rest just knock.

Why do they do that? I can't here a knock on the door from my desk but
one of the doorbell chimes is just outside the room I work in.

Same here. Knocks on the door are rarely heard becaise of the layour of
the house, but the doorbell sounds in any room (and optionally in the
garden).

I do put 'ring bell' on delivery instructions, and I'm having a brass
plate made with similar instructions on it.

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Adrian Caspersz September 12th 17 04:22 PM

door to door salespests

On 12/09/17 14:23, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
presented the following explanation :
a nice suggestion I just saw:

"Say that the judge made it very clear theyre not allowed to talk to
people from charities any more. Not after last time."

I just have a laminated note on the garden gate, with something like...

No chuggers, No leaflets, No sales people. Below that it says dogs
loose. It mostly works effectively, the dogs take care of the rest.

We get a lot of them, because it is a street with short distances to the
front door and large rear gardens.

AK47 door bell system - Colin Furze
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuY1gDC-l50

--
Adrian C

tim... September 12th 17 04:58 PM

door to door salespests

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:43:34 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

On 12/09/2017 14:31, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 11:27:23 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 11/09/2017 23:45, wrote:
[quoted text muted]
We found their number reduced greatly after small but clear "No Cold
Caller" signs above letterbox and bell-push

10% of our callers use the bell push. The rest just knock.

Why do they do that? I can't here a knock on the door from my desk but
one of the doorbell chimes is just outside the room I work in.

Same here. Knocks on the door are rarely heard becaise of the layour of
the house, but the doorbell sounds in any room (and optionally in the
garden).

I do put 'ring bell' on delivery instructions, and I'm having a brass
plate made with similar instructions on it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Notice-Plea.../dp/B00182XGZA

HTH

Andy Burns[_13_] September 12th 17 05:17 PM

door to door salespests

JoeJoe wrote:

We get many more charity collectors knocking on our door than sales people.
Any tips for those?

I just tell them I don't sign-up for charities on the doorstop (or in
shopping centres etc) because it isn't good value for the charities, who
often don't see a penny from the first year's contributions.

alan_m September 12th 17 05:30 PM

door to door salespests

On 12/09/2017 17:17, Andy Burns wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:

We get many more charity collectors knocking on our door than sales
people.
Any tips for those?

I just tell them I don't sign-up for charities on the doorstop (or in
shopping centres etc) because it isn't good value for the charities, who
often don't see a penny from the first year's contributions.

They probably don't see any of the money from door step collectors! You
can spot the bogus collectors as they will have a "official" identity
card from a charity that they claim to represent. The card being knocked
up on a home computer and laminated.

Andy Burns[_13_] September 12th 17 05:43 PM

door to door salespests

Jethro_uk wrote:

when challenged, the only answer I have got is
"sometimes they don't work".

That's why I have a lit-up push button, to give a clue that it isn't
some battery powered effort with probably dead batteries ...

Capitol September 12th 17 05:44 PM

door to door salespests

Andy Burns wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:

We get many more charity collectors knocking on our door than sales
people.
Any tips for those?

I just tell them I don't sign-up for charities on the doorstop (or in
shopping centres etc) because it isn't good value for the charities, who
often don't see a penny from the first year's contributions.

I just tell them NO!

Capitol September 12th 17 05:46 PM

door to door salespests

Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:03:01 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:43:34 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

[quoted text muted]

Same here. Knocks on the door are rarely heard becaise of the layour of
the house, but the doorbell sounds in any room (and optionally in the
garden).

Or, or course some aid/adaptation to assist a deaf person.

I've got some odd, quite tight range PIR lights knocking around. Maybe a
winter project is a PIR doorbell substitute.

Add a buzzer to them. Very offputing to many callers.

Dave Plowman (News) September 12th 17 06:01 PM

door to door salespests

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
On 12/09/2017 14:31, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 11:27:23 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 11/09/2017 23:45, wrote:
[quoted text muted]
We found their number reduced greatly after small but clear "No Cold
Caller" signs above letterbox and bell-push

10% of our callers use the bell push. The rest just knock.

Why do they do that? I can't here a knock on the door from my desk but
one of the doorbell chimes is just outside the room I work in.

Quite. Perhaps they are used to wireless doorbells that either don't work
or can't be heard from outside?

I'm removing the door knocker when re-decorating. Suppose they'll just
rattle the letter box.

--
*Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Bob Eager[_5_] September 12th 17 07:24 PM

door to door salespests

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:58:58 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:03:01 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

I do put 'ring bell' on delivery instructions, and I'm having a brass
plate made with similar instructions on it.

There are probably cheaper ways to waste money.

I did trial it with bits of paper and it seems to work.

This is the permanent version.

Bob Eager[_5_] September 12th 17 07:25 PM

door to door salespests

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:59:03 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:03:01 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:43:34 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

[quoted text muted]

Same here. Knocks on the door are rarely heard becaise of the layour of
the house, but the doorbell sounds in any room (and optionally in the
garden).

Or, or course some aid/adaptation to assist a deaf person.

I've got some odd, quite tight range PIR lights knocking around. Maybe a
winter project is a PIR doorbell substitute.

I was wondering about a vibration sensor on the door.

Bob Eager[_5_] September 12th 17 07:25 PM

door to door salespests

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:59:04 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:35:36 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 12/09/2017 14:31, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 11:27:23 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 11/09/2017 23:45, wrote:
[quoted text muted]
We found their number reduced greatly after small but clear "No Cold
Caller" signs above letterbox and bell-push

10% of our callers use the bell push. The rest just knock.

perhaps we get a better class of callers who can read (and so see the
sign "above letterbox" before knocking)

I've stuck the doorbell *on* the glass where they knock (no door knocker
for us). The only response I ever get is "sometimes they don't work".

Yes, I've had that.

Bob Eager[_5_] September 12th 17 07:26 PM

door to door salespests

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 16:58:35 +0100, tim... wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:43:34 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

On 12/09/2017 14:31, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 11:27:23 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 11/09/2017 23:45, wrote:
[quoted text muted]
We found their number reduced greatly after small but clear "No Cold
Caller" signs above letterbox and bell-push

10% of our callers use the bell push. The rest just knock.

Why do they do that? I can't here a knock on the door from my desk but
one of the doorbell chimes is just outside the room I work in.

Same here. Knocks on the door are rarely heard becaise of the layour of
the house, but the doorbell sounds in any room (and optionally in the
garden).

I do put 'ring bell' on delivery instructions, and I'm having a brass
plate made with similar instructions on it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Notice-Plea.../dp/B00182XGZA

HTH

I looked at a load of these and couldn't find one that fitted between the
two raised door panels, under the knocker and above the bell.

Bob Eager[_5_] September 12th 17 07:27 PM

door to door salespests

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:58:58 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:43:34 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

On 12/09/2017 14:31, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 11:27:23 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 11/09/2017 23:45, wrote:
[quoted text muted]
We found their number reduced greatly after small but clear "No Cold
Caller" signs above letterbox and bell-push

10% of our callers use the bell push. The rest just knock.

Why do they do that? I can't here a knock on the door from my desk but
one of the doorbell chimes is just outside the room I work in.

Mike

As I have said upthread, when challenged, the only answer I have got is
"sometimes they don't work".

The other excuse was "I get told off for waking the baby".

Bob Eager[_5_] September 12th 17 07:28 PM

door to door salespests

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 18:01:41 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
On 12/09/2017 14:31, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 11:27:23 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 11/09/2017 23:45, wrote:
[quoted text muted]
We found their number reduced greatly after small but clear "No Cold
Caller" signs above letterbox and bell-push

10% of our callers use the bell push. The rest just knock.

Why do they do that? I can't here a knock on the door from my desk but
one of the doorbell chimes is just outside the room I work in.

Quite. Perhaps they are used to wireless doorbells that either don't
work or can't be heard from outside?

I'm removing the door knocker when re-decorating. Suppose they'll just
rattle the letter box.

We have a bell and a big door knocker. Sometimes they just knock on the
wood.

Andy Burns[_13_] September 12th 17 07:29 PM

door to door salespests

Bob Eager wrote:

tim... wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

I do put 'ring bell' on delivery instructions, and I'm having a brass
plate made with similar instructions on it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Notice-Plea.../dp/B00182XGZA

I looked at a load of these and couldn't find one that fitted between the
two raised door panels, under the knocker and above the bell.

If people knocking is a problem, maybe remove the knocker?

Chris J Dixon September 12th 17 07:35 PM

door to door salespests

Robin wrote:

We found their number reduced greatly after small but clear "No Cold
Caller" signs above letterbox and bell-push. Sellers don't want to
waste their time and charities are fearful of even tighter regulation.
Indeed, the only charity agent who rang the door last year blanched,
apologised profusely and almost cried when I pointed out the sign.

This has not been my experience, many just ignore the sign. When
I point out calmly that the idea is that it saves us both time, a
surprising number then claim that they are not cold callers.

This week I had a chap with an Irish accent who first offered to
trim a tree of mine which doesn't need it, offered to clean the
gutters then general gardening, which I told him was my hobby. As
he left his parting shot was "Would you sell me the caravan?"

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Robin September 12th 17 07:50 PM

door to door salespests

On 12/09/2017 19:25, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:59:03 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

snip

I've got some odd, quite tight range PIR lights knocking around. Maybe a
winter project is a PIR doorbell substitute.

I was wondering about a vibration sensor on the door.

It may not be a problem for you or Jethro but we get far too many
leaflets for either of those to appeal.

--
Robin

alan_m September 12th 17 07:56 PM

door to door salespests

On 12/09/2017 19:35, Chris J Dixon wrote:

This has not been my experience, many just ignore the sign. When
I point out calmly that the idea is that it saves us both time, a
surprising number then claim that they are not cold callers.

And cold calling salesmen are not selling anything!

Bob Eager[_5_] September 12th 17 08:22 PM

door to door salespests

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 19:29:48 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

tim... wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

I do put 'ring bell' on delivery instructions, and I'm having a brass
plate made with similar instructions on it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Notice-Plea.../dp/B00182XGZA

I looked at a load of these and couldn't find one that fitted between
the two raised door panels, under the knocker and above the bell.

If people knocking is a problem, maybe remove the knocker?

They knock on the door panels then.

Robin September 12th 17 08:28 PM

door to door salespests

On 12/09/2017 20:22, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 19:29:48 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

If people knocking is a problem, maybe remove the knocker?

They knock on the door panels then.

Yep - frequent, free tests of the structural integrity of the door, and
the strength of the lock and hinges ;)

--
Robin

charles September 12th 17 08:47 PM

door to door salespests

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
On 12/09/2017 14:31, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 11:27:23 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 11/09/2017 23:45, wrote:
[quoted text muted]
We found their number reduced greatly after small but clear "No Cold
Caller" signs above letterbox and bell-push

10% of our callers use the bell push. The rest just knock.

Why do they do that? I can't here a knock on the door from my desk but
one of the doorbell chimes is just outside the room I work in.

I asked someone that exact question. "Bells rarely work" was the reply.

Mike

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Bob Eager[_5_] September 12th 17 10:38 PM

door to door salespests

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 20:28:47 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 12/09/2017 20:22, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 19:29:48 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

If people knocking is a problem, maybe remove the knocker?

They knock on the door panels then.

Yep - frequent, free tests of the structural integrity of the door, and
the strength of the lock and hinges ;)

No, not that loudly or I might hear them.

T i m September 12th 17 11:40 PM

door to door salespests

wrote:

On 12/09/2017 14:31, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 11:27:23 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 11/09/2017 23:45, wrote:
[quoted text muted]
We found their number reduced greatly after small but clear "No Cold
Caller" signs above letterbox and bell-push

10% of our callers use the bell push. The rest just knock.

Why do they do that? I can't here a knock on the door from my desk but
one of the doorbell chimes is just outside the room I work in.

Many seem to ring the bell but also knock on the glass or flap the
letterbox a few times because although the doorbell is quite loud,
it's in the middle of the house and you can't always hear it outside
the front door (so no feedback for them to prove the doorbell works).

I might do the same thing as a ringing tone and put another doorbell
behind the door just for them. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

FMurtz September 13th 17 05:10 AM

door to door salespests

Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:43:34 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

On 12/09/2017 14:31, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 11:27:23 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 11/09/2017 23:45, wrote:
[quoted text muted]
We found their number reduced greatly after small but clear "No Cold
Caller" signs above letterbox and bell-push

10% of our callers use the bell push. The rest just knock.

Why do they do that? I can't here a knock on the door from my desk but
one of the doorbell chimes is just outside the room I work in.

Same here. Knocks on the door are rarely heard becaise of the layour of
the house, but the doorbell sounds in any room (and optionally in the
garden).

I do put 'ring bell' on delivery instructions, and I'm having a brass
plate made with similar instructions on it.

Make a sign "can't hear knocks only bell."

Bob Eager[_5_] September 13th 17 07:55 AM

door to door salespests

wrote:

On 12/09/2017 14:31, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 11:27:23 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 11/09/2017 23:45, wrote:
[quoted text muted]
We found their number reduced greatly after small but clear "No Cold
Caller" signs above letterbox and bell-push

10% of our callers use the bell push. The rest just knock.

Why do they do that? I can't here a knock on the door from my desk but
one of the doorbell chimes is just outside the room I work in.

Many seem to ring the bell but also knock on the glass or flap the
letterbox a few times because although the doorbell is quite loud, it's
in the middle of the house and you can't always hear it outside the
front door (so no feedback for them to prove the doorbell works).

I might do the same thing as a ringing tone and put another doorbell
behind the door just for them. ;-)

I have the parts sitting on the shelf beside me. A small 'glass speaker'
that can play a selected audio file when the bell push is depressed. I am
torn between a voice intoning "the bell has been activated, please wait"
and the start of 'Time' from Dark Side of the Moon.