Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default door to door salespests

a nice suggestion I just saw:

"Say that the judge made it very clear theyre not allowed to talk to people from charities any more. Not after last time."

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

a nice suggestion I just saw:

"Say that the judge made it very clear theyre not allowed to talk to
people from charities any more. Not after last time."

NT

One advantage of living on a rural trunk road with no pavements or lights is
we dont get door to door sales pests

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:

We get many more charity collectors knocking on our door than sales people.
Any tips for those?

I just tell them I don't sign-up for charities on the doorstop (or in
shopping centres etc) because it isn't good value for the charities, who
often don't see a penny from the first year's contributions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2017 17:17, Andy Burns wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:

We get many more charity collectors knocking on our door than sales
people.
Any tips for those?

I just tell them I don't sign-up for charities on the doorstop (or in
shopping centres etc) because it isn't good value for the charities, who
often don't see a penny from the first year's contributions.

They probably don't see any of the money from door step collectors! You
can spot the bogus collectors as they will have a "official" identity
card from a charity that they claim to represent. The card being knocked
up on a home computer and laminated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

when challenged, the only answer I have got is
"sometimes they don't work".

That's why I have a lit-up push button, to give a clue that it isn't
some battery powered effort with probably dead batteries ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:

We get many more charity collectors knocking on our door than sales
people.
Any tips for those?

I just tell them I don't sign-up for charities on the doorstop (or in
shopping centres etc) because it isn't good value for the charities, who
often don't see a penny from the first year's contributions.

I just tell them NO!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:03:01 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:43:34 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

[quoted text muted]

Same here. Knocks on the door are rarely heard becaise of the layour of
the house, but the doorbell sounds in any room (and optionally in the
garden).

Or, or course some aid/adaptation to assist a deaf person.

I've got some odd, quite tight range PIR lights knocking around. Maybe a
winter project is a PIR doorbell substitute.

Add a buzzer to them. Very offputing to many callers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:58:58 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:03:01 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

I do put 'ring bell' on delivery instructions, and I'm having a brass
plate made with similar instructions on it.

There are probably cheaper ways to waste money.

I did trial it with bits of paper and it seems to work.

This is the permanent version.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:59:03 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:03:01 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:43:34 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

[quoted text muted]

Same here. Knocks on the door are rarely heard becaise of the layour of
the house, but the doorbell sounds in any room (and optionally in the
garden).

Or, or course some aid/adaptation to assist a deaf person.

I've got some odd, quite tight range PIR lights knocking around. Maybe a
winter project is a PIR doorbell substitute.

I was wondering about a vibration sensor on the door.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 16:58:35 +0100, tim... wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:43:34 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

On 12/09/2017 14:31, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 11:27:23 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 11/09/2017 23:45, wrote:
[quoted text muted]
We found their number reduced greatly after small but clear "No Cold
Caller" signs above letterbox and bell-push

10% of our callers use the bell push. The rest just knock.

Why do they do that? I can't here a knock on the door from my desk but
one of the doorbell chimes is just outside the room I work in.

Same here. Knocks on the door are rarely heard becaise of the layour of
the house, but the doorbell sounds in any room (and optionally in the
garden).

I do put 'ring bell' on delivery instructions, and I'm having a brass
plate made with similar instructions on it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Notice-Plea.../dp/B00182XGZA

HTH

I looked at a load of these and couldn't find one that fitted between the
two raised door panels, under the knocker and above the bell.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

tim... wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

I do put 'ring bell' on delivery instructions, and I'm having a brass
plate made with similar instructions on it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Notice-Plea.../dp/B00182XGZA

I looked at a load of these and couldn't find one that fitted between the
two raised door panels, under the knocker and above the bell.

If people knocking is a problem, maybe remove the knocker?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:

We found their number reduced greatly after small but clear "No Cold
Caller" signs above letterbox and bell-push. Sellers don't want to
waste their time and charities are fearful of even tighter regulation.
Indeed, the only charity agent who rang the door last year blanched,
apologised profusely and almost cried when I pointed out the sign.

This has not been my experience, many just ignore the sign. When
I point out calmly that the idea is that it saves us both time, a
surprising number then claim that they are not cold callers.

This week I had a chap with an Irish accent who first offered to
trim a tree of mine which doesn't need it, offered to clean the
gutters then general gardening, which I told him was my hobby. As
he left his parting shot was "Would you sell me the caravan?"

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2017 19:25, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:59:03 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

snip

I've got some odd, quite tight range PIR lights knocking around. Maybe a
winter project is a PIR doorbell substitute.

I was wondering about a vibration sensor on the door.

It may not be a problem for you or Jethro but we get far too many
leaflets for either of those to appeal.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2017 19:35, Chris J Dixon wrote:

This has not been my experience, many just ignore the sign. When
I point out calmly that the idea is that it saves us both time, a
surprising number then claim that they are not cold callers.

And cold calling salesmen are not selling anything!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 19:29:48 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

tim... wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

I do put 'ring bell' on delivery instructions, and I'm having a brass
plate made with similar instructions on it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Notice-Plea.../dp/B00182XGZA

I looked at a load of these and couldn't find one that fitted between
the two raised door panels, under the knocker and above the bell.

If people knocking is a problem, maybe remove the knocker?

They knock on the door panels then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2017 20:22, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 19:29:48 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

If people knocking is a problem, maybe remove the knocker?

They knock on the door panels then.

Yep - frequent, free tests of the structural integrity of the door, and
the strength of the lock and hinges

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 20:28:47 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 12/09/2017 20:22, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 19:29:48 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

If people knocking is a problem, maybe remove the knocker?

They knock on the door panels then.

Yep - frequent, free tests of the structural integrity of the door, and
the strength of the lock and hinges

No, not that loudly or I might hear them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2017 23:45, wrote:
[quoted text muted]
We found their number reduced greatly after small but clear "No Cold
Caller" signs above letterbox and bell-push

10% of our callers use the bell push. The rest just knock.

Why do they do that? I can't here a knock on the door from my desk but
one of the doorbell chimes is just outside the room I work in.

Many seem to ring the bell but also knock on the glass or flap the
letterbox a few times because although the doorbell is quite loud, it's
in the middle of the house and you can't always hear it outside the
front door (so no feedback for them to prove the doorbell works).

I might do the same thing as a ringing tone and put another doorbell
behind the door just for them. ;-)

I have the parts sitting on the shelf beside me. A small 'glass speaker'
that can play a selected audio file when the bell push is depressed. I am
torn between a voice intoning "the bell has been activated, please wait"
and the start of 'Time' from Dark Side of the Moon.

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org