Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default How thick are the police?

My van was robbed of its van vault. The *******s smashed the door open
and ripped it off the floor.

The police have now found a van vault and want to try my van vault keys
in it as it is locked and has stuff inside it.

The van vault they have was found by the police 2 days before mine was
stolen.

FFS.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 23:11:37 +0100, ARW
wrote:

My van was robbed of its van vault. The *******s smashed the door open
and ripped it off the floor.

Just OOI, how could they do that, or is it something that can be
released and taken on-site?

If they aren't designed to be releasable, I would have imagined it
would be bolted though crossmembers or have plates or brackets to
resist the (coach headed) bolts being torn though or is that not done
for a good reason (like it's better to let them get the box than
completely wreck the van trying)?

Maybe these boxes *should* be fitted in a way that they can't be
removed without a lot of effort (like a 'Sold Secure' standard) so
that they don't bother (or have to nick the van etc). shrug

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 September 2017 23:11:40 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
The police have now found a van vault and want to try my van vault keys
in it as it is locked and has stuff inside it.

I would let them try. There's a small chance the keys will fit and there might be some good stuff inside!

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07-Sep-17 11:11 PM, ARW wrote:
My van was robbed of its van vault. The *******s smashed the door open
and ripped it off the floor.

The police have now found a van vault and want to try my van vault keys
in it as it is locked and has stuff inside it.

The van vault they have was found by the police 2 days before mine was
stolen.

FFS.

Not everybody either notices or reports thefts immediately after they
happen and they may not be accurate about when they thought it happened
either.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/17 23:11, ARW wrote:
My van was robbed of its van vault. The *******s smashed the door open
and ripped it off the floor.

The police have now found a van vault and want to try my van vault keys
in it as it is locked and has stuff inside it.

The van vault they have was found by the police 2 days before mine was
stolen.
ck
FFS.

Wow, they're beating the Met...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/17 00:02, Cash wrote:
ARW wrote:
My van was robbed of its van vault. The *******s smashed the door open
and ripped it off the floor.

The police have now found a van vault and want to try my van vault
keys in it as it is locked and has stuff inside it.

The van vault they have was found by the police 2 days before mine was
stolen.

FFS.

--
Adam

ESP? :-)

Schrödinger's vault! Don't open it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 September 2017 09:38:13 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
Wow, they're beating the Met...

Still a way to go to catch up Police Scotland

- Body of man missing for a month is found at his home (August 2017)

- a man lay dead in his van for days after officers failed to respond to reports of the incident (Dec 2016)

- two people left trapped in their crashed car for three days (July 2015)

- officers took 20 hours to check on an 88-year-old who was found dead at his home beside his unconscious wife, 89, who later died (Sep 2015)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Friday, 8 September 2017 09:38:13 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
Wow, they're beating the Met...

Still a way to go to catch up Police Scotland

- Body of man missing for a month is found at his home (August 2017)

I don't get this:

who reported the man missing

when did they do it

why didn't they check his house first?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 September 2017 10:44:23 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
- Body of man missing for a month is found at his home (August 2017)

I don't get this:
who reported the man missing
when did they do it
why didn't they check his house first?

He was reported missing on 7 July having last been seen by his family the previous day at his home in Panbrae Road.
A large-scale search was held in an attempt to find him, involving divers, mountain rescue and police dogs.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...me-in-scotland

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message
news

wrote in message
On Friday, 8 September 2017 09:38:13 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
Wow, they're beating the Met...

Still a way to go to catch up Police Scotland

- Body of man missing for a month is found at his home (August 2017)

I don't get this:

who reported the man missing

when did they do it

why didn't they check his house first?

Maybe he was found down the laundry chute or trapped in the roof space etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well maybe they have a Tardis?

I was going to say, I've never measurd the thickness of any police they
don't like you invading their space.
brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"ARW" wrote in message
My van was robbed of its van vault. The *******s smashed the door open and
ripped it off the floor.

The police have now found a van vault and want to try my van vault keys in
it as it is locked and has stuff inside it.

The van vault they have was found by the police 2 days before mine was
stolen.

FFS.

--
Adam
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2017 23:11, ARW wrote:
My van was robbed of its van vault. The *******s smashed the door open
and ripped it off the floor.

Sheesh. Hope your insurance covers that.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Nightjar Wrote in message:
On 07-Sep-17 11:11 PM, ARW wrote:
My van was robbed of its van vault. The *******s smashed the door open
and ripped it off the floor.

The police have now found a van vault and want to try my van vault keys
in it as it is locked and has stuff inside it.

The van vault they have was found by the police 2 days before mine was
stolen.

FFS.

Not everybody either notices or reports thefts immediately after they
happen and they may not be accurate about when they thought it happened
either.

You think Adam may have "not noticed" for 48 hours or so?

Sounds more likely to me that the officers don't trust any dates
relating to stolen property so sadly cannot assume what is on the
computer is correct, so must "try everything just in
case"....
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2017 23:11, ARW wrote:
My van was robbed of its van vault. The *******s smashed the door open
and ripped it off the floor.

Are all your tools engraved with your house number and postcode?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08-Sep-17 12:24 PM, jim wrote:
Nightjar Wrote in message:
On 07-Sep-17 11:11 PM, ARW wrote:
My van was robbed of its van vault. The *******s smashed the door open
and ripped it off the floor.

The police have now found a van vault and want to try my van vault keys
in it as it is locked and has stuff inside it.

The van vault they have was found by the police 2 days before mine was
stolen.

FFS.

Not everybody either notices or reports thefts immediately after they
happen and they may not be accurate about when they thought it happened
either.

You think Adam may have "not noticed" for 48 hours or so?...

I think the police may have sufficient experience of crimes not to take
everything they are told at face value.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 September 2017 10:14:41 UTC+1, I wrote:
Wow, they're beating the Met...

Still a way to go to catch up Police Scotland

- Chief office steps aside after further allegations of gross misconduct
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-41201281

There'll be a few caps hanging on shoogly pegs.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2017 13:17, Bill Wright wrote:
On 07/09/2017 23:11, ARW wrote:
My van was robbed of its van vault. The *******s smashed the door open
and ripped it off the floor.

Are all your tools engraved with your house number and postcode?

Company name and reg plate.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 08/09/2017 18:12, Nightjar wrote:
On 08-Sep-17 12:24 PM, jim wrote:
Nightjar Wrote in message:
On 07-Sep-17 11:11 PM, ARW wrote:
My van was robbed of its van vault. The *******s smashed the door open
and ripped it off the floor.

The police have now found a van vault and want to try my van vault keys
in it as it is locked and has stuff inside it.

The van vault they have was found by the police 2 days before mine was
stolen.

FFS.

Not everybody either notices or reports thefts immediately after they
happen and they may not be accurate about when they thought it happened
either.

You think Adam may have "not noticed" for 48 hours or so?...

I think the police may have sufficient experience of crimes not to take
everything they are told at face value.

They were told the exact date and time the van vault was taken as it was
on my CCTV. They do not want to view it as there are no face shots.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2017 23:11, ARW wrote:
My van was robbed of its van vault. The *******s smashed the door open
and ripped it off the floor.

The police have now found a van vault and want to try my van vault keys
in it as it is locked and has stuff inside it.

The van vault they have was found by the police 2 days before mine was
stolen.

Have you still offered to see if your key fits?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08-Sep-17 12:24 PM, jim wrote:
Nightjar Wrote in message:
On 07-Sep-17 11:11 PM, ARW wrote:
My van was robbed of its van vault. The *******s smashed the door open
and ripped it off the floor.

The police have now found a van vault and want to try my van vault
keys
in it as it is locked and has stuff inside it.

The van vault they have was found by the police 2 days before mine was
stolen.

FFS.

Not everybody either notices or reports thefts immediately after they
happen and they may not be accurate about when they thought it happened
either.

You think Adam may have "not noticed" for 48 hours or so?...

I think the police may have sufficient experience of crimes not to
take everything they are told at face value.

They were told the exact date and time the van vault was taken as it was
on my CCTV.

My point is that, no matter how accurate you know the information you
gave is, they can't accept it at face value and have to consider the
possibility that it was wrong. They would also look very foolish if the
vault they found two days before you say yours was stolen turned out to
be it.

They do not want to view it as there are no face shots.

Even then, it could be of limited value unless installed to BS EN 62676.
A good face shot might give them a better idea of who to look for, but
probably wouldn't be of any use as evidence.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

On 08-Sep-17 12:24 PM, jim wrote:
Nightjar Wrote in message:
On 07-Sep-17 11:11 PM, ARW wrote:
[...]

Which appear to be about design of systems, meeting customers
needs, enabling competitive quotes to be compared, simplifying
specification of requirements.

Was there something in particular you refer to?

A good face shot might give them a better idea of who to look for, but
probably wouldn't be of any use as evidence

Depends I suspect on what there is to see in total ...

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2017 23:11, ARW wrote:
My van was robbed of its van vault. The *******s smashed the door open
and ripped it off the floor.

The police have now found a van vault and want to try my van vault keys
in it as it is locked and has stuff inside it.

The van vault they have was found by the police 2 days before mine was
stolen.

FFS.

You drive the Tardis?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09-Sep-17 2:37 PM, jim wrote:
Nightjar Wrote in message:

Even then, it could be of limited value unless installed to BS EN 62676.

Which appear to be about design of systems, meeting customers
needs, enabling competitive quotes to be compared, simplifying
specification of requirements.

Was there something in particular you refer to?

I suspect the police advice I was looking at was referring to the design
of systems bit.

A good face shot might give them a better idea of who to look for, but
probably wouldn't be of any use as evidence

Depends I suspect on what there is to see in total ...

The police advice divided the types of view into the following:

Identification views, from which an individual can be identified beyond
reasonable doubt. These would normally give a full screen view on a PAL
system of an individual of average height preferably from the front and
not at an angle. This could be used as evidence. Few domestic and not
that many commercial setups give this.

Recognition views, from which somebody who has seen the person before
should be able to say, with a high degree of certainty, that it is the
same person. This image can be half the size of an identification view
and is the sort of picture you often see when they show CCTV images from
a crime on TV.

Observation views, which are smaller still. They give a general image of
what is happening, but from which on very characteristic features of the
individual, such as distinctive clothing, can be seen. This is the sort
of view that most single camera domestic setups give.

Detection views, which are the sort of general area views that a
security guard might watch, to show that something was going on that
needs to be investigated.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 September 2017 15:43:10 UTC+1, F wrote:
You drive the Tardis?

It's amazing how many apprentices can be got into a van with two passenger seats :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 09-Sep-17 2:37 PM, jim wrote:
Nightjar Wrote in message:

[...]

It doesnt have to have all of that to be used as evidence.

And doesnt have to be used as evidence when the crim can see
himself on the footage and realises that its stupid to deny its him.

Few domestic and not that many commercial setups give this.

Recognition views, from which somebody who has seen the person before
should be able to say, with a high degree of certainty, that it is the
same person. This image can be half the size of an identification view and
is the sort of picture you often see when they show CCTV images from a
crime on TV.

Observation views, which are smaller still. They give a general image of
what is happening, but from which on very characteristic features of the
individual, such as distinctive clothing, can be seen. This is the sort of
view that most single camera domestic setups give.

Detection views, which are the sort of general area views that a security
guard might watch, to show that something was going on that needs to be
investigated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , F
writes
On 07/09/2017 23:11, ARW wrote:
My van was robbed of its van vault. The *******s smashed the door
open and ripped it off the floor.
The police have now found a van vault and want to try my van vault
keys in it as it is locked and has stuff inside it.
The van vault they have was found by the police 2 days before mine
was stolen.
FFS.

You drive the Tardis?

Is that some sort of Fiat van?
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2017 00:39, Fredxxx wrote:
On 07/09/2017 23:11, ARW wrote:
My van was robbed of its van vault. The *******s smashed the door open
and ripped it off the floor.

The police have now found a van vault and want to try my van vault
keys in it as it is locked and has stuff inside it.

The van vault they have was found by the police 2 days before mine was
stolen.

Have you still offered to see if your key fits?

No. Because the van vault they have is not engraved with the company
name and vans number plate.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2017 15:43, F wrote:
On 07/09/2017 23:11, ARW wrote:
My van was robbed of its van vault. The *******s smashed the door open
and ripped it off the floor.

The police have now found a van vault and want to try my van vault
keys in it as it is locked and has stuff inside it.

The van vault they have was found by the police 2 days before mine was
stolen.

FFS.

You drive the Tardis?

Yes.

If you put Hallam 2 on the radio it really is the 1980s.

--
Adam

Very thick leather? (1/4 in thick) Ignoramus705 Metalworking 11 October 25th 07 04:36 AM
DIWANIYA - Gunmen killed two police officers and wounded another on Tuesday night in a drive-by shooting in the southern city of Diwaniya, 180 km (110 miles) south of Baghdad, police said BGKM Woodworking 0 March 15th 07 08:31 AM
I am filing a police report about you Don't try to recollect a tree! [email protected] UK diy 0 January 7th 04 06:57 AM
Thick paint Kris UK diy 4 November 23rd 03 10:46 PM
How thick can floor tile adhesive be? Jon Weaver UK diy 9 September 20th 03 06:56 AM