Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wireless weatherproof switch?

An elderly family friend has an external switch that turns on a garden
water feature via some sort of remote control, or she could until she
misplaced the remote. ;-(

Looking at the external box it looks like a grey plastic about 60 x
100mm and 50 mm deep and has a translucent red lid section which
suggest it might have been IR (it's quite old apparently).

She initially asked me about finding a replacement remote but assuming
one can't be found, has anyone played with such a thing where they
could recommend (or advise against) a modern replacement and that
isn't too expensive please?

I'm guessing anything modern would be RF rather than IR and that would
be fine assuming it had a range of about 5-7 meters.
?

Failing anything affordable, I also suggested a PIR as at least that
would allow the feature to come on and off when people were present
and whilst she was open to that I feel she would really prefer the
manual remote if possible.

Any relevant thoughts and suggestions welcomed as always please. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 September 2017 20:03:36 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
An elderly family friend has an external switch that turns on a garden
water feature via some sort of remote control, or she could until she
misplaced the remote. ;-(

Comes in at about £100 plus VAT

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LMESR1.html

Or £50 plus VAT and controls three things

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KBIP663G.html

Even cheaper at the moment, if a 13 amp socket is acceptable (turn the lawnmover on remotely too!)

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KBIP9000R.html

Another option is something like X10 over the mains signalling.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 12:52:54 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Thursday, 7 September 2017 20:03:36 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
An elderly family friend has an external switch that turns on a garden
water feature via some sort of remote control, or she could until she
misplaced the remote. ;-(

Comes in at about £100 plus VAT

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LMESR1.html

Or £50 plus VAT and controls three things

Yeah, I found that one but felt £100 wasn't exactly 'cheap'. ;-(

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KBIP663G.html

That may well be considered affordable (versus seeing if she can find
the missing remote etc), assuming that one comes with the remote in
the price?

Even cheaper at the moment, if a 13 amp socket is acceptable (turn the lawnmover on remotely too!)

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KBIP9000R.html

Big lawn, ride on petrol mower. ;-)

Another option is something like X10 over the mains signalling.

Yeah, I was trying to think if there was such a solution but I think a
something that is as near as she was used to previously might be the
preferred option.

I wonder if the Knightsbridge remotes are available separately
(thinking ahead). ;-(

Thanks for the feedback. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2017 20:03, T i m wrote:
An elderly family friend has an external switch that turns on a garden
water feature via some sort of remote control, or she could until she
misplaced the remote. ;-(

Is this a 230V mains system or, say, a low voltage 12V system?
If the latter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-10A...gAAOSwOg9ZeatA

OR

https://tinyurl.com/y9j73ebg

Receiver probably needs to be fitted in a waterproof enclosure

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 21:12:05 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 07/09/2017 20:03, T i m wrote:
An elderly family friend has an external switch that turns on a garden
water feature via some sort of remote control, or she could until she
misplaced the remote. ;-(

Is this a 230V mains system or, say, a low voltage 12V system?

Mains I'm afraid Alan.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Sep 2017 20:03:30 +0100, T i m wrote:

[...]

Homeeasy. Dead cheap, work fine.
One of these at the remote end:
https://bircoelectrical.co.uk/produc...eiling-switch?
utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=239781 52135

And, either this switch:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222285995940

or, this remote:
https://www.toolstoday.co.uk/byron-h...ol-5-way-unit?
gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu4fq3fiT1gIVRrXtCh3xagmlEAQYASAB EgJrPfD_BwE
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 September 2017 21:03:36 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KBIP663G.html

That may well be considered affordable (versus seeing if she can find
the missing remote etc), assuming that one comes with the remote in
the price?

It looks like it does -- but not available remotely.

The Easyswitch one can have a fixed 'traditional' switch in place of a losable remote :-)
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LMEST1.html

Or can you not just switch the mains feed from inside the house?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 13:59:32 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Thursday, 7 September 2017 21:03:36 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KBIP663G.html
That may well be considered affordable (versus seeing if she can find
the missing remote etc), assuming that one comes with the remote in
the price?

It looks like it does -- but not available remotely.

Ok thanks.

The Easyswitch one can have a fixed 'traditional' switch in place of a losable remote :-)
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LMEST1.html

I saw that as well but didn't really consider it as 'a remote' in the
traditional sense but now you point it out again I can see it having
it's virtues (mainly that it can't get lost). ;-)

Or can you not just switch the mains feed from inside the house?

I'm guessing you can, if nowhere else, at the CU but I'm not sure what
else may share the same MCB etc. I'm guessing there *should* also be a
dual pole disconnect on something like that but it's an old house and
who knows how it was originally installed etc.

I'm due to go back soonish when their new STB arrives so I'll check
your points out when I do. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Sep 2017 15:49:20 -0500, Alan wrote:

snip

Any relevant thoughts and suggestions welcomed as always please. ;-)

Homeeasy. Dead cheap, work fine.
One of these at the remote end:
https://bircoelectrical.co.uk/produc...eiling-switch?
utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=23978 152135

Is that weatherproof though, or would they just put it in an external
waterproof box?

And, either this switch:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222285995940

That looks ok.

or, this remote:
https://www.toolstoday.co.uk/byron-h...ol-5-way-unit?
gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu4fq3fiT1gIVRrXtCh3xagmlEAQYASA BEgJrPfD_BwE

Or that (and cheap enough to replace if it gets lost ). ;-)

More ideas for the box, thanks. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Sure, you need to get the most expensive on you can find, because
as soon as it is delivered and installed, the old remote will turn up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 08:08:14 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

snip

I'm due to go back soonish when their new STB arrives so I'll check
your points out when I do. ;-)

Sure, you need to get the most expensive on you can find, because
as soon as it is delivered and installed, the old remote will turn up.

You are probably right (for a change). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 September 2017 23:08:27 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Sure, you need to get the most expensive on you can find, because
as soon as it is delivered and installed, the old remote will turn up.

And Tim will get another phone call saying the remote's broken, because the old dear is trying to use it with the new switch.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
[...]

Depends how much work you want to do. Remote controlled switches that plug
into a 13amp socket and have a switched 13 amp outlet are common and
cheap. Or check the kit makers like Vellerman. Google electronic kits for
adults and see what's around. Jaycar used to do one which would be ideal.
But not a simple 'plug and play' solution.

--
*I brake for no apparent reason.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 September 2017 08:57:07 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
And Tim will get another phone call saying the remote's broken, because
the old dear is trying to use it with the new switch.

Hehe, yup, guaranteed. ;-)

Get a wifi enabled FCU then you can turn it on and off whenever she phones, without having to go round!

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 02:38:10 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Friday, 8 September 2017 08:57:07 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
And Tim will get another phone call saying the remote's broken, because
the old dear is trying to use it with the new switch.

Hehe, yup, guaranteed. ;-)

Get a wifi enabled FCU then you can turn it on and off whenever she phones, without having to go round!

LOL ... I like it. ;-)

The last one was she was having an issue attaching a document to an
email. I asked her to show me what she did (that she insists used to
work) and with an email open she clicked on attach (which opened up a
browser window) and then went off and opened up 'My Documents' from
the start menu and when she clicked on her document she wanted to
attach, nothing happened (or course) and when she double clicked on
it, it opened (of course). [1]

So, I carefully explained that she didn't need to open the 'second'
file browser as the she was already there (but just not in the 'My
Documents' view) but she just insisted that's not what she did before?

I gently but firmly explained that what really matters is that she can
do what she needs, not get distracted by what she may or may have not
done previously ...

So she then send a couple of test emails with attachments, complained
how long they took to send rolls eyes, didn't want to take any notes
and then asked me about the same thing again two weeks later. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] I love the way they go 'look, that's what it does' when it does
what is perfectly expected, just not by them. Everyone to their own of
course. ;-)

p.s. I had to had 'a chat' with the Mrs over similar because she
started the habit of asking me for PC help but them telling me loads
of stuff I didn't need to hear (irrelevant information) but at the
same time not listening / actioning the advice I was trying to give
her to fix it for her. The ultimatum was 1) Listen to and apply the
actions I am suggesting or 2) move out of the way and let me do it.
;-)

I would have been different if she remembered what we did the next
time ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a feeling some aquatic shops sell these systems, but I'd have also
thought they might be in big garden centres, or maybe us plebs are not
allowed to do this wiring in the new elf and safety regime?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"T i m" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Sep 2017 10:21:27 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
[...]

Me, none g, other than maybe finding out what her options are and
pointing her in the right direction (she's got someone who actually
does such jobs luckily). ;-)

Remote controlled switches that plug
into a 13amp socket and have a switched 13 amp outlet are common and
cheap.

True, but being outside and very exposed that would mean either
putting whatever in a bigger waterproof enclosure (and the current one
is over a garden gate and amongst some ivy) or doing as the other
other Dave mentioned and dismantling something functionally suitable
and adapting it etc.

Or check the kit makers like Vellerman. Google electronic kits for
adults and see what's around.

That's a good idea. I wouldn't mind building something 'for them' as
presumably then it would be repairable (by me) should such be required
but it would need to be pretty straightforward to install by someone
used to commercial solutions etc.

Jaycar used to do one which would be ideal.

I'll check that avenue out, thanks.

But not a simple 'plug and play' solution.

Understood. If whatever I came up with could be fitted inside the
existing box that would be ideal.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2017 21:03, T i m wrote:

Yeah, I found that one but felt £100 wasn't exactly 'cheap'. ;-(

Come no now! Old ladies always have lots of lolly stashed away, and any
economies that make merely increase the amounts their descendants will
**** up the wall.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 September 2017 13:25:41 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
Come no now! Old ladies always have lots of lolly stashed away, and any
economies that make merely increase the amounts their descendants will
**** up the wall.

It's much better they spend money on "useful stuff" from TLC than fritter it on the stuff from House Of Tat or whatever else is advertised in the Express or the Radio Times this week.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Sep 2017 06:36:49 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

On Friday, 8 September 2017 13:25:41 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
Come no now! Old ladies always have lots of lolly stashed away, and any
economies that make merely increase the amounts their descendants will
**** up the wall.

It's much better they spend money on "useful stuff" from TLC than
fritter it on the stuff from House Of Tat or whatever else is advertised
in the Express or the Radio Times this week.

My M-I-L died late last year. SWMBO has spent a long time sorting out the
stamps, commemorative coins, etc. and similar stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 13:25:39 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 07/09/2017 21:03, T i m wrote:

Yeah, I found that one but felt £100 wasn't exactly 'cheap'. ;-(

Come no now! Old ladies always have lots of lolly stashed away, and any
economies that make merely increase the amounts their descendants will
**** up the wall.

Well, whilst you *might* be right I believe this particular couple
aren't as well off as they were before their pension pot fell to bits.
;-(

So, whilst I'm sure there are funds for the important things, they
(well she) is still pretty realistic / careful re rationalising what
might be considered a justified spend or not.

I know the ability to turn the water feature on remotely is quite
important to her, it will be interesting to see by just how much (as
I've printed some of the stuff off I've been given here for her to
consider). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 11:57:46 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I have a feeling some aquatic shops sell these systems, but I'd have also
thought they might be in big garden centres,

Good thoughts, thanks Brian.

or maybe us plebs are not
allowed to do this wiring in the new elf and safety regime?

Luckily this pleb won't be involved in that in this instance. ;-)

However, I did run some armoured across (well, under) her lawn to a
pond pump over 45 years ago and it was still working until she
dispensed with the pond earlier this year! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have a feeling some aquatic shops sell these systems, but I'd have also
thought they might be in big garden centres,

Good thoughts, thanks Brian.

or maybe us plebs are not
allowed to do this wiring in the new elf and safety regime?

Luckily this pleb won't be involved in that in this instance. ;-)

However, I did run some armoured across (well, under) her lawn to a
pond pump over 45 years ago and it was still working until she
dispensed with the pond earlier this year! ;-)

How the hell did you decide to run the armoured under the lawn?
The wife?
I'd have thought you'd have run it across the fence or maybe declined to do
it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 01:35:05 +0100, "bm" wrote:

snip

However, I did run some armoured across (well, under) her lawn to a
pond pump over 45 years ago and it was still working until she
dispensed with the pond earlier this year! ;-)

How the hell did you decide to run the armoured under the lawn?

Firstly, thank you for your ongoing interest in me. Whilst it is
flattering it's also just a little sad you don't have a happy
(married) life of your own.

Secondly, you demonstrate more and more with every post that you are a
complete nutjob. ;-(

But to try and help you understand how sensible people consider
things, I'll answer your question.

The pond was in the middle of the lawn (something I'm guessing you
couldn't predict / consider with your highly blinkered outlook) so
there was no other path between the outbuilding that contained the
power and the pond.

The wife?

Mate, I'm guessing you have little chance getting your own wife, what
with you rarely coming out of your mums basement and your 100%
successful charisma_bypass_operation, but it's patently obvious you
have no idea about and so it's understandable why you are fascinated
with other peoples wives. Again, in most cases such interest would be
considered flattering but in your it's no better than just 'creepy'.
;-(

I'd have thought you'd have run it across the fence

Of course you would ... you seem very happy to make all sorts of
important decisions without knowing or considering any facts
whatsoever. ;-(

or maybe declined to do
it.

That was always an option of course (especially for those of us aware
of such things and able to consider them) but she was confident in me
and I was happy to do it.

On a serious note, have you considered that you might not be on the
right meds ... no, sorry, of course you wouldn't ... 'considering your
options' get's in the way of jumping to conclusions doesn't it.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 01:35:05 +0100, "bm" wrote:

snip

However, I did run some armoured across (well, under) her lawn to a
pond pump over 45 years ago and it was still working until she
dispensed with the pond earlier this year! ;-)

How the hell did you decide to run the armoured under the lawn?

Firstly, thank you for your ongoing interest in me. Whilst it is
flattering it's also just a little sad you don't have a happy
(married) life of your own.

Secondly, you demonstrate more and more with every post that you are a
complete nutjob. ;-(

But to try and help you understand how sensible people consider
things, I'll answer your question.

Wodney MkII, don't bother.

**** snipped

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 13:14:12 +0100, "bm" wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 01:35:05 +0100, "bm" wrote:

snip

However, I did run some armoured across (well, under) her lawn to a
pond pump over 45 years ago and it was still working until she
dispensed with the pond earlier this year! ;-)

How the hell did you decide to run the armoured under the lawn?

Firstly, thank you for your ongoing interest in me. Whilst it is
flattering it's also just a little sad you don't have a happy
(married) life of your own.

Secondly, you demonstrate more and more with every post that you are a
complete nutjob. ;-(

But to try and help you understand how sensible people consider
things, I'll answer your question.

Wodney MkII, don't bother.

**** snipped

Let me put the answer to your stupid and pointless non-question back
in again, just to remind everyone how stupid you are ... ;-)

'The pond was in the middle of the lawn (something I'm guessing you
couldn't predict / consider with your highly blinkered outlook) so
there was no other path between the outbuilding that contained the
power and the pond.

So, princess, did I hit a nerve? ;-(

Are you very sad, lonely and jealous? I think you are.

You obviously aren't confused ... only people who are open to
considering (and potentially re-considering) all the options risk
that!

Cheers, T i m

soil pipe / flat roof - cannot use weatherproof slate Simon UK diy 7 July 26th 17 03:58 PM
Weatherproof Key switch John UK diy 2 January 3rd 12 11:39 PM
NEWBIE - How do you weatherproof mohaganney front porch? Leon Woodworking 6 September 16th 05 04:23 PM
Gang Box to Weatherproof Conduit Dan Home Repair 3 May 18th 05 05:15 AM
Weatherproof CCTV system Christian McArdle UK diy 22 September 13th 04 09:49 AM