Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quality precision screwdriver set wanted, plus weird heads set as well

I'm trying to find a decent quality set of precision screwdrivers along with all the wierd an wonderful heads that can be found nowadays, here's an example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Screw_drives

I'm just sick and tired of having one set for this one set for that packet for the next it's just a pain in the rear don't want to spend a fortune but will go up to £100 for the right kit.

Any suggestios apart from stick to what i have?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

writes:

I'm trying to find a decent quality set of precision
screwdrivers along with all the wierd an wonderful heads
that can be found nowadays, here's an example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Screw_drives

I'm just sick and tired of having one set for this one set
for that packet for the next it's just a pain in the rear
don't want to spend a fortune but will go up to £100 for the
right kit.

Any suggestios apart from stick to what i have?

I have, and like, some Wiha system 4 drivers. I dont know if
they do all the bits you want, and this set:
https://www.wiha.com/en/produkte/mul...pcs-27820.html
http://tinyurl.com/y9oa6wvv
is slightly outside your price range, but you dont have to get
a full set. I got mine from Farnell.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2014-04-05)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Sep 2017 09:02:33 +0100, Jon Fairbairn wrote:

writes:

I'm trying to find a decent quality set of precision screwdrivers along
with all the wierd an wonderful heads that can be found nowadays,
here's an example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Screw_drives

I'm just sick and tired of having one set for this one set for that
packet for the next it's just a pain in the rear don't want to spend a
fortune but will go up to £100 for the right kit.

Any suggestios apart from stick to what i have?

I have, and like, some Wiha system 4 drivers. I dont know if they do
all the bits you want, and this set:
https://www.wiha.com/en/produkte/mul...ewdriver-with-

interchangeable-blade-set-system-4-assorted-11-pcs-27820.html
http://tinyurl.com/y9oa6wvv
is slightly outside your price range, but you dont have to get a full
set. I got mine from Farnell.

+1 for Wiha. I was going to say the same thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm just sick and tired of having one set for this one set for that packet
for the next it's just a pain in the rear don't want to spend a fortune
but will go up to £100 for the right kit.

ifixit have sets with all kinds of weird bits used by manufacturers to be
annoying:
https://eustore.ifixit.com/en/Tools/Toolkits/

I've used some - quality seemed fine, but I didn't use them all day to measure
wear and tear.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 September 2017 22:11:47 UTC+1, Theo wrote:
I'm just sick and tired of having one set for this one set for that packet
for the next it's just a pain in the rear don't want to spend a fortune
but will go up to £100 for the right kit.

ifixit have sets with all kinds of weird bits used by manufacturers to be
annoying:
https://eustore.ifixit.com/en/Tools/Toolkits/

I've used some - quality seemed fine, but I didn't use them all day to measure
wear and tear.

Theo

Firstly sorry for the delay i have been a bit busy with other stuff, secondly thanks for all the replies i do like the look of Wiha kit but by the time i get all the heads (no jokes please) i need i think i will be way over my budget and the Mrs will have my balls for earrings so that is a no go but i do like Thoe's suggestion for ifixit stuff so will be going for that just got to work out what set, so once again many thanks for the replies gents..

All1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 12 September 2017 15:55:21 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

I idly wonder whether one could get a cheap set & retemper them.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2017 20:03, wrote:
[...]

You mean harden and temper.

Cheaper might just be the difference between carbon steel and decent
Cr/Mo/Va as used for spanners. You might get the hardness up but leave
them brittle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 12 September 2017 20:52:47 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 12/09/2017 20:03, tabbypurr wrote:

I idly wonder whether one could get a cheap set & retemper them.

You mean harden and temper.

yes

Cheaper might just be the difference between carbon steel and decent
Cr/Mo/Va as used for spanners. You might get the hardness up but leave
them brittle.

Carbon steel isn't bad. Cheap tools tend to lack hardness.
Plastic handles are easily replaced.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 13 September 2017 21:37:01 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 12/09/2017 21:18, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 12 September 2017 20:52:47 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 12/09/2017 20:03, tabbypurr wrote:

I idly wonder whether one could get a cheap set & retemper them.

You mean harden and temper.

yes

Cheaper might just be the difference between carbon steel and decent
Cr/Mo/Va as used for spanners. You might get the hardness up but leave
them brittle.

Carbon steel isn't bad. Cheap tools tend to lack hardness.
Plastic handles are easily replaced.

Decent spanners are made from chrome moly or chrome vanadium steel for a
reason.

Of course. Carbon steel still makes reasonable quality screwdrivers.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 09:46:35 +0100, Chris B wrote:

When I was just starting out chrome moly or chrome vanadium tools were
very expensive (but worth buying on the basis that you only have to buy
them once).

Indeed. A great number of my 'heavy' tools were bought by me 50 years
ago. I started with a cheap (non Cr/No/Va) socket set and a toolbox. I
added 'proper' stuff as I found I needed it, or the original things
broke. I still have the same half inch drive ratchet handle and long bar,
and a load of nice sickets, and spanners (most metric, for my Honda bike
at the time).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 09:46:35 +0100, Chris B wrote:

When I was just starting out chrome moly or chrome vanadium tools were
very expensive (but worth buying on the basis that you only have to buy
them once).

Indeed. A great number of my 'heavy' tools were bought by me 50 years
ago. I started with a cheap (non Cr/No/Va) socket set and a toolbox. I
added 'proper' stuff as I found I needed it, or the original things
broke. I still have the same half inch drive ratchet handle and long bar,
and a load of nice sickets, and spanners (most metric, for my Honda bike
at the time).

I'm still looking for an affordable 3/4" ratchet bar.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-09-14, Chris B wrote:

[27 lines snipped]

Nowadays I see (what claim to be) Cr/Mo/Va combinations on market stalls
for next to nothing, but haven't need to buy any. Is this a sign of
cheap Chinese manufacturing processes or are these tools just made of
butter and labelled Cr/Mo/Va.

I'd strongly suspect the latter.

Not sure I agree. In the 60's and 70's cheap tools in street markets
were certainly to be avoided. Personally, I wouldn't buy such things now
because good value spanners are so readily available from eBay,
Toolstation, Screwfix, etc. But IME most cheap and basic "third world"
tools are fine.

I've occasionally bought things like F, G, and trigger clamps at country
fairs, but you can judge these from their "finish".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 14:45:24 +0100, newshound wrote:

Not sure I agree. In the 60's and 70's cheap tools in street markets
were certainly to be avoided. Personally, I wouldn't buy such things now
because good value spanners are so readily available from eBay,
Toolstation, Screwfix, etc. But IME most cheap and basic "third world"
tools are fine.

True. One exception was a pair of secondhand side cutters (well, two
pairs, both now sadly lost or stolen).

Ex-BT, Maun cutters. Brilliant and took a lot of abuse!

No idea if they are still as good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/2017 18:54, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 14:45:24 +0100, newshound wrote:

Not sure I agree. In the 60's and 70's cheap tools in street markets
were certainly to be avoided. Personally, I wouldn't buy such things now
because good value spanners are so readily available from eBay,
Toolstation, Screwfix, etc. But IME most cheap and basic "third world"
tools are fine.

True. One exception was a pair of secondhand side cutters (well, two
pairs, both now sadly lost or stolen).

Ex-BT, Maun cutters. Brilliant and took a lot of abuse!

No idea if they are still as good.

BT, well they were probably 18-4-1 high speed tool steel, and would have
worked as well at 650 deg C.

Precision screwdriver set Graham.[_2_] UK diy 12 December 2nd 11 06:35 PM
Wiha Torx Screwdriver, T5, Precision, ESD, 4.7" OAL [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 May 22nd 09 11:28 AM
Precision Screwdriver Set Rod UK diy 12 April 16th 09 08:03 PM
It can be a challenge for many plus size women to find plus sizematernity clothing including maternity swimwear. In fact, many pregnant womenmost especially those who are plus size wouldn't want themselves caughtwearing swimsuits. But then again, how [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 April 21st 08 11:01 AM
Seeking Decent Precision Screwdriver Set Larry Jaques Metalworking 40 December 18th 07 08:26 PM