Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bungs for sewer back-flow?

Since the recent Coverack inundation and finding an archive newspaper
ref to a similar event ,locally , 60 years ago.
Where we are the problem is roof-run off rain getting into the sewer
system , from thousands of older houses, then the sewer system directly
under us going to a large sewage works, that cannot handle such
inundations, and all backs up rainwater and sewage.
I assume 4 inch/100mm sewer pipe screw-enlarge test bungs would be too
large for the first bend of bog-pan traps.
Kids plastic beach ball perhaps , firmly pushed down there and cut to
remove later perhaps.
Sink and bath plugs weighted down with anything heavy , but how to
temporarily block off sink and bath overflow holes? any other ideas?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

N_Cook wrote:
Since the recent Coverack inundation and finding an archive newspaper
ref to a similar event ,locally , 60 years ago.
Where we are the problem is roof-run off rain getting into the sewer
system , from thousands of older houses, then the sewer system directly
under us going to a large sewage works, that cannot handle such
inundations, and all backs up rainwater and sewage.
I assume 4 inch/100mm sewer pipe screw-enlarge test bungs would be too
large for the first bend of bog-pan traps.
Kids plastic beach ball perhaps , firmly pushed down there and cut to
remove later perhaps.
Sink and bath plugs weighted down with anything heavy , but how to
temporarily block off sink and bath overflow holes? any other ideas?

Google?

Almost the first hit on "sewer pipe valve".

http://www.plasticdrainage.co.uk/ant...3b&fo_s=gplauk

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31-Aug-17 7:49 AM, N_Cook wrote:
Since the recent Coverack inundation and finding an archive newspaper
ref to a similar event ,locally , 60 years ago.
Where we are the problem is roof-run off rain getting into the sewer
system , from thousands of older houses, then the sewer system directly
under us going to a large sewage works, that cannot handle such
inundations, and all backs up rainwater and sewage.
I assume 4 inch/100mm sewer pipe screw-enlarge test bungs would be too
large for the first bend of bog-pan traps.
Kids plastic beach ball perhaps , firmly pushed down there and cut to
remove later perhaps.
Sink and bath plugs weighted down with anything heavy , but how to
temporarily block off sink and bath overflow holes? any other ideas?

All grey water in my house drains into the foul water sewer via outdoor
gulleys. Hence, if the sewers do back up, there is no direct link
between them and sinks, handbasins or bath. The water outside would have
to be above the height of the kitchen sink to come in via its waste pipe
(the WC is upstairs) and I doubt the rest of the house is waterproof to
that depth.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 07:49:09 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

Where we are the problem is roof-run off rain getting into the sewer
system , from thousands of older houses, then the sewer system directly
under us going to a large sewage works,

I assume 4 inch/100mm sewer pipe screw-enlarge test bungs would be too
large for the first bend of bog-pan traps.

https://www.allpipe.co.uk/products/d...-air-bag-bungs

or you could possibly find a small inflatable ball and a bike pump
will do a similar job for a lot less.

Kids plastic beach ball perhaps , firmly pushed down there and cut to
remove later perhaps.

You really need something that can be swollen to make a seal and get
some friction to hold against the pressure ,you will be lucky to find
a kids ball that will be just right.

Sink and bath plugs weighted down with anything heavy , but how to
temporarily block off sink and bath overflow holes? any other ideas?

Depends if they have grills and sometimes chains fixed in them.
You could possibly make something out of a wooden disk of with a
couple of small diameter hook bolts through it, poke the hook bolts
though grill of overflow through,turn them a bit and then clamp wooden
disk with nuts which I would make wing nuts for ease of use.
You would have to make the wooden disk thick enough that the nut has
some thread to bite on or make your own J bolts by bending some small
diameter threaded rod. Around the edge of the wooden disk you would
need a seal of softer material or a ring of sealer.
If your overflows have holes you would have to make the J of the J
bolt quite small.

Isn't the that the sewage works that Southern TV or TVS showed a
clip of agitated effluent after the announcer said " and now over to
our guest Omar Sharif ", realising the error the controllers quickly
switched, unfortunately to a picture of a Donkey.

It was a long time ago so it may have been another actor.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2017 08:43, Tim+ wrote:
N_Cook wrote:
[...]

Yes the people most liable to marine flooding , 1 in 5 year or so , have
one-way valves now fitted in their systems along with loads of other
stuff. Put the people in the slightly higher areas, who may get a 1 in
50 year intense rainfall event and should have an emergency procedure
available, in the interim, before they know for certain about this other
flooding scenario, after the next such event.
Incidently the set of new one-way valves presumably increases the chance
for house interior sewage flooding, as no longer that pressure releif
lower down

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2017 10:04, wrote:
[...]

I was thinking of bar of soap , squashed in the vents ,then a pad/plate
and then pre-prepared length of dowel to the other end of bath / sink.

My favourite not-outake, was a young cub reporter on BBC south ,
presenting a piece about an open-top bus tour somewhere , handing back
to Sally Taylor with the line "now back to someone who also likes it on top"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/17 10:04, wrote:

You really need something that can be swollen to make a seal and get
some friction to hold against the pressure ,you will be lucky to find
a kids ball that will be just right.

Football bladder surely?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cawila-Han...-/332182244155

Good idea. Plus a bag of spuds or woven shopping bag of garden soil,
placed on top , in case it slips.
I'm aware quite a lot of air pressure can build up , prior to the sewage
proper , getting anywhere near.
Because of marine flooding events , the usual air-balancing vents to the
manholes are absent, air-tight covers instead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 31 August 2017 07:49:09 UTC+1, N_Cook wrote:
Since the recent Coverack inundation and finding an archive newspaper
ref to a similar event ,locally , 60 years ago.
Where we are the problem is roof-run off rain getting into the sewer
system , from thousands of older houses, then the sewer system directly
under us going to a large sewage works, that cannot handle such
inundations, and all backs up rainwater and sewage.
I assume 4 inch/100mm sewer pipe screw-enlarge test bungs would be too
large for the first bend of bog-pan traps.
Kids plastic beach ball perhaps , firmly pushed down there and cut to
remove later perhaps.
Sink and bath plugs weighted down with anything heavy , but how to
temporarily block off sink and bath overflow holes? any other ideas?

Our local council has fitted something with a flap inside our main rain water drains around here to stop the river coming back uphill when we are close to flooding. I would have thought something similar would do the job.

Jonathan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2017 15:07, Jonathan wrote:
[...]

If they are like the flap-valves local to me, next to useless.
Bits of wood, branches, even slabs of polystyrene like to hang around
the lip after floating up the pipe and then back down,or from farther up
the pipe, but not out, as they are no longer floating at that precise
point, clever really

Roller garage door end bungs Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 2 June 8th 17 09:00 AM
Bungs Spamlet UK diy 3 September 7th 10 11:09 PM
Bungs Dave Liquorice[_2_] UK diy 6 September 7th 10 10:07 PM
Blue plastic barrel bungs Andrew Mawson UK diy 4 May 23rd 07 10:14 AM
Low flow bowl to a normal flow tank for toliet. Can I do this? mark Ransley Home Repair 11 November 28th 03 06:20 PM