Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default help needed for old fireplace

I recently moved into an older house and have a hollow metal coal fireplace
that is in a hell of a state.It is stained badly,it looks like the top layer
is peeling in places and has drips of something down the front of it.I want to
leave it in place but what can I use to strip it without knackering what is
underneath? Would I then need to cover it with lacquer or paint to stop it
rusting or just polish it up.Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't
have a clue what to do!
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ae
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/af

Posted to uk.d-i-y

njhsmee wrote:

I recently moved into an older house and have a hollow metal coal fireplace
that is in a hell of a state.It is stained badly,it looks like the top layer
is peeling in places and has drips of something down the front of it.I want to
leave it in place but what can I use to strip it without knackering what is
underneath?

A wirebrush should remove whatever has dripped onto it, then brush on
and rub in some "blacklead" which isn't lead at all, but graphite, e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stovax/dp/B0035XHWPA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"njhsmee" m wrote in message
I recently moved into an older house and have a hollow metal coal fireplace
that is in a hell of a state.It is stained badly,it looks like the top layer
is peeling in places and has drips of something down the front of it.I want to
leave it in place but what can I use to strip it without knackering what is
underneath? Would I then need to cover it with lacquer or paint to stop it
rusting or just polish it up.Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't
have a clue what to do!
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ae
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/af

Going by your pictures its not all that old at all.

Its a William IV cast iron fireplace by Stovax

https://victorianfireplacestore.co.u...-mantel-sr023/

In the old days of course these would be polished with black lead often the
next job on the list after scrubbing the front step.

From the look of it theres nothing to strip apart from what's been spilt on it.
And cast iron is pretty impervious to whatever solvent you'd like to try
apart from acid that is.

As to subsrquent treatment blacklead aside, possibly wax would do the
trick.

As your question was posted via Homeowners Hub doubless you asked it
five or more years ago now. Unfortunately some people simply cant resist
any opportunity no matter how slight, to act the smartarse.

HTH

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" wrote in message

"njhsmee" m wrote in message
I recently moved into an older house and have a hollow metal coal fireplace
that is in a hell of a state.It is stained badly,it looks like the top layer
is peeling in places and has drips of something down the front of it.I want to
leave it in place but what can I use to strip it without knackering what is
underneath? Would I then need to cover it with lacquer or paint to stop it
rusting or just polish it up.Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't
have a clue what to do!
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ae
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/af

Going by your pictures its not all that old at all.

Its a William IV cast iron fireplace by Stovax

Correction. It's an Adelaide insert - (as shown in the first link
with a William IV mantlepiece) but with a Georgian Polished cast
iron mantlepiece as shown here.

http://www.stovax.com/stove-fire/ins...laide-inserts/

Possibly if you contact Stovax they could advise on the best
product for maintaining the finish.

Or they would have done five years ago had you known or whenever
it was you posted the question.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2017 20:07, michael adams wrote:
As to subsrquent treatment blacklead aside, possibly wax would do the
trick.

I know he's HOH, but there's no need to be unnecessarily cruel.

Wax on something that gets hot? Where it will melt, and possibly boil off?

NOT a good idea.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 29 August 2017 21:52:43 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 28/08/2017 20:07, michael adams wrote:

As to subsrquent treatment blacklead aside, possibly wax would do the
trick.

I know he's HOH, but there's no need to be unnecessarily cruel.

Wax on something that gets hot? Where it will melt, and possibly boil off?

NOT a good idea.

Andy

Of course. HOH may be annoying but its not the posters' fault, they don't know what the deal is there.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to michael adams, njhsmee wrote:
thank you Michael...I posted a couple of days ago as this was the first forum
that popped up!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...e-1233343-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andy Burns, njhsmee wrote:
thank you andy

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...e-1233343-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
news
On 28/08/2017 20:07, michael adams wrote:
As to subsrquent treatment blacklead aside, possibly wax would do the
trick.

I know he's HOH, but there's no need to be unnecessarily cruel.

Wax on something that gets hot? Where it will melt, and possibly boil off?

Rather than actually use it as a fireplace, I was assuming the OP simply wished
to retain it as a decorative feature.

That at least is what I took " I want to leave it in place" and "Would I then need
to cover it with lacquer or paint to stop it rusting" as implying.

In any case I thought the original post because it included photos hosted
by Homeownershub may have been deliberately planted by the Homeownershub
admin as a direct response to problems about photo hosting which have
been posted on here recently and as such might have originally been
posted years ago.

quote

As your question was posted via Homeowners Hub doubless you asked it
five or more years ago now. Unfortunately some people simply cant resist
any opportunity no matter how slight, to act the smartarse.

HTH

/quote

HTH

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to michael adams, njhsmee wrote:
Have I opened a can of worms here? I just posted this as it was the first
forum I found.I have no idea what is going on with the site but thank you for
your replies and I have now contacted stovax.You have been a great help.Many
thanks.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...e-1233343-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2017 16:14, njhsmee wrote:
replying to michael adams, njhsmee wrote:
Have I opened a can of worms here? I just posted this as it was the first
forum I found.I have no idea what is going on with the site but thank
you for
your replies and I have now contacted stovax.You have been a great
help.Many
thanks.

This link may explain

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2017 16:16, alan_m wrote:
On 03/09/2017 16:14, njhsmee wrote:
replying to michael adams, njhsmee wrote:
Have I opened a can of worms here? I just posted this as it was the first
forum I found.I have no idea what is going on with the site but thank
you for
your replies and I have now contacted stovax.You have been a great
help.Many
thanks.

This link may explain

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub

Especially this bit :-)

"This makes some of the uk.d-i-y regulars even more grumpy than normal
(and that is saying something!)"