Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default Joining beams....

I want to join two pieces of 4.8m 225mm x75mm timber to create a
longer length of c6.5m.

How to?

Thinking a "splint", big nuts & bolts and those spiked timber
connectors in between?

How much overlap from the splint section onto each other piece?

Any gotchas?
TIA
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/28/2017 3:33 PM, jim wrote:

I want to join two pieces of 4.8m 225mm x75mm timber to create a
longer length of c6.5m.

How to?

Thinking a "splint", big nuts & bolts and those spiked timber
connectors in between?

How much overlap from the splint section onto each other piece?

Any gotchas?
TIA

Depends on what load you need to support. How "invisible" do you need to
make the joint? Is it outdoors?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

newshound Wrote in message:
On 8/28/2017 3:33 PM, jim wrote:

I want to join two pieces of 4.8m 225mm x75mm timber to create a
longer length of c6.5m.

How to?

Thinking a "splint", big nuts & bolts and those spiked timber
connectors in between?

How much overlap from the splint section onto each other piece?

Any gotchas?
TIA

Depends on what load you need to support. How "invisible" do you need to
make the joint? Is it outdoors?

Shed flat roof.
Visible is fine.
No.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/28/2017 4:09 PM, jim wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 8/28/2017 3:33 PM, jim wrote:

I want to join two pieces of 4.8m 225mm x75mm timber to create a
longer length of c6.5m.

How to?

Thinking a "splint", big nuts & bolts and those spiked timber
connectors in between?

How much overlap from the splint section onto each other piece?

Any gotchas?
TIA

Depends on what load you need to support. How "invisible" do you need to
make the joint? Is it outdoors?

Shed flat roof.
Visible is fine.
No.

Hopefully someone will be along soon with some codes, but what is the
exact function? Is it a single purlin, supporting continous rafters?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

newshound Wrote in message:
On 8/28/2017 4:09 PM, jim wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 8/28/2017 3:33 PM, jim wrote:

I want to join two pieces of 4.8m 225mm x75mm timber to create a
longer length of c6.5m.

How to?

Thinking a "splint", big nuts & bolts and those spiked timber
connectors in between?

How much overlap from the splint section onto each other piece?

Any gotchas?
TIA

Depends on what load you need to support. How "invisible" do you need to
make the joint? Is it outdoors?

Shed flat roof.
Visible is fine.
No.

Hopefully someone will be along soon with some codes, but what is the
exact function? Is it a single purlin, supporting continous rafters?

I'd call it a beam.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/28/2017 5:54 PM, jim wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 8/28/2017 4:09 PM, jim wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 8/28/2017 3:33 PM, jim wrote:

I want to join two pieces of 4.8m 225mm x75mm timber to create a
longer length of c6.5m.

How to?

Thinking a "splint", big nuts & bolts and those spiked timber
connectors in between?

How much overlap from the splint section onto each other piece?

Any gotchas?
TIA

Depends on what load you need to support. How "invisible" do you need to
make the joint? Is it outdoors?

Shed flat roof.
Visible is fine.
No.

Hopefully someone will be along soon with some codes, but what is the
exact function? Is it a single purlin, supporting continous rafters?

I'd call it a beam.

Don't understand.

How you need to make the joint depends on the bending moment that it
will experience in service. Give us a number for that and we can work it
out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim k wrote in message
o.uk...

I want to join two pieces of 4.8m 225mm x75mm
timber to create a longer length of c6.5m.

How to?

Depends on how its going to be used.

Thinking a "splint", big nuts & bolts and
those spiked timber connectors in between?

How much overlap from the splint section onto each other piece?

Depends on how its going to be used.

Any gotchas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

newshound Wrote in message:
On 8/28/2017 5:54 PM, jim wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 8/28/2017 4:09 PM, jim wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 8/28/2017 3:33 PM, jim wrote:

I want to join two pieces of 4.8m 225mm x75mm timber to create a
longer length of c6.5m.

How to?

Thinking a "splint", big nuts & bolts and those spiked timber
connectors in between?

How much overlap from the splint section onto each other piece?

Any gotchas?
TIA

Depends on what load you need to support. How "invisible" do you need to
make the joint? Is it outdoors?

Shed flat roof.
Visible is fine.
No.

Hopefully someone will be along soon with some codes, but what is the
exact function? Is it a single purlin, supporting continous rafters?

I'd call it a beam.

Don't understand.

Mmm.

How you need to make the joint depends on the bending moment that it
will experience in service. Give us a number for that and we can work it
out.

Never mind.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
jim k wrote in message
o.uk...

I want to join two pieces of 4.8m 225mm x75mm
timber to create a longer length of c6.5m.

How to?

Depends on how its going to be used.

Thinking a "splint", big nuts & bolts and
those spiked timber connectors in between?

How much overlap from the splint section onto each other piece?

Depends on how its going to be used.

What's the strongest method?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If your shed is under 30m2 then building regulations do not apply, do what you think is right especially if this is additional support for what is already there as the existing structure will already be absorbing the forces acting on the roof.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 8/28/2017 4:09 PM, jim wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 8/28/2017 3:33 PM, jim wrote:

I want to join two pieces of 4.8m 225mm x75mm timber to create a
longer length of c6.5m.

How to?

Thinking a "splint", big nuts & bolts and those spiked timber
connectors in between?

How much overlap from the splint section onto each other piece?

Any gotchas?
TIA

Depends on what load you need to support. How "invisible" do you need to
make the joint? Is it outdoors?

Shed flat roof.
Visible is fine.
No.

Hopefully someone will be along soon with some codes, but what is the
exact function? Is it a single purlin, supporting continous rafters?

sounds to me like it just a support for the flat roof

and anybody standing upon it, of course

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , jim
writes
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
jim k wrote in message
o.uk...

I want to join two pieces of 4.8m 225mm x75mm
timber to create a longer length of c6.5m.

How to?

Depends on how its going to be used.

Thinking a "splint", big nuts & bolts and
those spiked timber connectors in between?

How much overlap from the splint section onto each other piece?

Depends on how its going to be used.

What's the strongest method?

Flitch? Rather than the timber connectors use a sandwich of steel plate.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message
news
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
jim k wrote in message
o.uk...

I want to join two pieces of 4.8m 225mm x75mm
timber to create a longer length of c6.5m.

How to?

Depends on how its going to be used.

Thinking a "splint", big nuts & bolts and
those spiked timber connectors in between?

How much overlap from the splint section onto each other piece?

Depends on how its going to be used.

What's the strongest method?

A decent length of the same size bolted
and strapped on both sides of the join.

You sure that even say a single length of that size is
actually going to be strong enough where its used ?

Sounds like you are just going by the length you need and arent
considering what strength you need in something that long.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/29/2017 10:24 AM, tim... wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 8/28/2017 4:09 PM, jim wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 8/28/2017 3:33 PM, jim wrote:

I want to join two pieces of 4.8m 225mm x75mm timberÂ* to create a
Â*Â* longer length of c6.5m.

How to?

Thinking a "splint", big nuts & bolts and those spiked timber
Â*Â* connectors in between?

How much overlap from the splint section onto each other piece?

Any gotchas?
TIA

Depends on what load you need to support. How "invisible" do you
need to
make the joint? Is it outdoors?

Shed flat roof.
Visible is fine.
No.

Hopefully someone will be along soon with some codes, but what is the
exact function? Is it a single purlin, supporting continous rafters?

sounds to me like it just a support for the flat roof

and anybody standing upon it, of course

tim

To my mind, the term "roof" implies that it is on a building, and
already supported on all four edges. Which is why I asked whether it was
a purlin. I suppose it might be a car-port, and be either the lower or
the upper support. Of course if it is a wall plate then it doesn't need
any strength in the join, other than to suppress warping. The devil is
in the detail; without the detail, you can't expect the best answer.

In any exam question about beams, one of the things you are usually told
is how it is supported.

People standing on it, OK, but what about wind and snow loading?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2017 09:10, jim wrote:
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
jim k wrote in message
o.uk...

I want to join two pieces of 4.8m 225mm x75mm
timber to create a longer length of c6.5m.

How to?

Depends on how its going to be used.

Thinking a "splint", big nuts & bolts and
those spiked timber connectors in between?

How much overlap from the splint section onto each other piece?

Depends on how its going to be used.

What's the strongest method?

In old buildings they would use a scarf joint or a derivative of one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2017 11:44, dennis@home wrote:
On 29/08/2017 09:10, jim wrote:
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
jim k wrote in message
o.uk...

I want to join two pieces of 4.8m 225mm x75mm
timber to create a longer length of c6.5m.

How to?

Depends on how its going to be used.

Thinking a "splint", big nuts & bolts and
those spiked timber connectors in between?

How much overlap from the splint section onto each other piece?

Depends on how its going to be used.

What's the strongest method?

In old buildings they would use a scarf joint or a derivative of one.

http://www.timberframe-tools.com/ref.../scarf-joints/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 8/29/2017 10:24 AM, tim... wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 8/28/2017 4:09 PM, jim wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 8/28/2017 3:33 PM, jim wrote:

[...]

you missed "flat roof"

flat roofs are normally made from 2m by 3m panels (with felt on top). It
needs support the whole way across the roof space

People standing on it, OK, but what about wind and snow loading?

yep there is snow to consider too (it's such a rare occurrence round here,
one doesn't immediately think of it)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:
If your shed is under 30m2 then building regulations do not apply, do what you think is right especially if this is additional support for what is already there as the existing structure will already be absorbing the forces acting on the roof.

Richard

Last time I did it for floor joists, I over lapped 3 feet and steel
strapped the beams together whist also using 4 bolts and gripping plates
between the beams. The house did not fall down!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/17 09:10, jim wrote:
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
jim k wrote in message
o.uk...

I want to join two pieces of 4.8m 225mm x75mm
timber to create a longer length of c6.5m.

How to?

Depends on how its going to be used.

Thinking a "splint", big nuts & bolts and
those spiked timber connectors in between?

How much overlap from the splint section onto each other piece?

Depends on how its going to be used.

What's the strongest method?

I would use 2" timber and double it up, bolted together to make 4"x 9"
total with the joints staggered (and not one in the middle of the span).
that will be as strong as 3" x 9".

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2017 12:02, tim... wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 8/29/2017 10:24 AM, tim... wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 8/28/2017 4:09 PM, jim wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 8/28/2017 3:33 PM, jim wrote:

[...]

All that the OP has said is that he wants a beam with a 6.5 metre span.
He hasn't said anything else about the construction. It would be an
unusually proportioned flat roof which only needed one such beam to
support it, IMHO.

A single pitched roof is also flat. A flat roof isn't normally level.
Since we can only guess at what the beam is supporting, it is hard to
advise on a suitable joint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

newshound Wrote in message:
On 29/08/2017 12:02, tim... wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 8/29/2017 10:24 AM, tim... wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 8/28/2017 4:09 PM, jim wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 8/28/2017 3:33 PM, jim wrote:

[...]

All I asked was how to make a strong joint in 225 x 75 timber....

Even an Australian fool knows a flat roof isn't flat...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , jim
writes
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
jim k wrote in message
o.uk...

I want to join two pieces of 4.8m 225mm x75mm
timber to create a longer length of c6.5m.

How to?

Depends on how its going to be used.

Thinking a "splint", big nuts & bolts and
those spiked timber connectors in between?

How much overlap from the splint section onto each other piece?

Depends on how its going to be used.

What's the strongest method?

Flitch? Rather than the timber connectors use a sandwich of steel plate.

Thanks I'll have a look.
--
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2017 16:02, jim wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 29/08/2017 12:02, tim... wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 8/29/2017 10:24 AM, tim... wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 8/28/2017 4:09 PM, jim wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 8/28/2017 3:33 PM, jim wrote:

[...]

No, you didn't say *strong*. A metre overlap each way, splint each side,
5 off 12 mm coach bolts each side, either glued or using pointy washers
should do it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

newshound Wrote in message:
On 29/08/2017 16:02, jim wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 29/08/2017 12:02, tim... wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 8/29/2017 10:24 AM, tim... wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 8/28/2017 4:09 PM, jim wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 8/28/2017 3:33 PM, jim wrote:

[...]

As I told you earlier "never mind".
--
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
On 29/08/2017 09:10, jim wrote:
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
jim k wrote in message
o.uk...

I want to join two pieces of 4.8m 225mm x75mm
timber to create a longer length of c6.5m.

How to?

Depends on how its going to be used.

Thinking a "splint", big nuts & bolts and
those spiked timber connectors in between?

How much overlap from the splint section onto each other piece?

Depends on how its going to be used.

What's the strongest method?

In old buildings they would use a scarf joint or a derivative of one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarf_joint

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 29/08/2017 12:02, tim... wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 8/29/2017 10:24 AM, tim... wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 8/28/2017 4:09 PM, jim wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 8/28/2017 3:33 PM, jim wrote:

[...]

A 2 car deep carport with one side on the house wall and that beam
on the outside side would be fine with just the one long beam.

Unusual to have that with just supports at each end of the beam tho.

A single pitched roof is also flat. A flat roof isn't normally level.
Since we can only guess at what the beam is supporting, it is hard to
advise on a suitable joint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/17 20:17, Rod Speed wrote:

"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
On 29/08/2017 09:10, jim wrote:
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
jim k wrote in message
o.uk...

I want to join two pieces of 4.8m 225mm x75mm
timber to create a longer length of c6.5m.

How to?

Depends on how its going to be used.

Thinking a "splint", big nuts & bolts and
those spiked timber connectors in between?

How much overlap from the splint section onto each other piece?

Depends on how its going to be used.

What's the strongest method?

In old buildings they would use a scarf joint or a derivative of one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarf_joint

trait de jupiter or "bolt-o-lightning joint".
- lovely.

I did joinery in France as a young man and I remember making a joint
known as the 'gueule de loup' the wolf's mouth. that was the female part
and into the wolf's mouth went the mouton, the sheep.
TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2017 21:02, Rod Speed wrote:

All that the OP has said is that he wants a beam with a 6.5 metre
span. He hasn't said anything else about the construction. It would be
an unusually proportioned flat roof which only needed one such beam to
support it, IMHO.

A 2 car deep carport with one side on the house wall and that beam
on the outside side would be fine with just the one long beam.

Unusual to have that with just supports at each end of the beam tho.

Yup. We still don't know what he's trying to achieve. If it's like your
carport, then with just a single centre support for both beams, you only
need a trivial mechanical joint between them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TimW" wrote in message
news
On 29/08/17 20:17, Rod Speed wrote:

"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
On 29/08/2017 09:10, jim wrote:
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
jim k wrote in message
o.uk...

I want to join two pieces of 4.8m 225mm x75mm
timber to create a longer length of c6.5m.

How to?

Depends on how its going to be used.

Thinking a "splint", big nuts & bolts and
those spiked timber connectors in between?

How much overlap from the splint section onto each other piece?

Depends on how its going to be used.

What's the strongest method?

In old buildings they would use a scarf joint or a derivative of one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarf_joint

trait de jupiter or "bolt-o-lightning joint".
- lovely.

I did joinery in France as a young man and I remember making a joint known
as the 'gueule de loup' the wolf's mouth. that was the female part and
into the wolf's mouth went the mouton, the sheep.

Weird lot the frogs. Good name tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

TimW Wrote in message:
On 29/08/17 20:17, Rod Speed wrote:

"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
On 29/08/2017 09:10, jim wrote:
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
jim k wrote in message
o.uk...

I want to join two pieces of 4.8m 225mm x75mm
timber to create a longer length of c6.5m.

How to?

Depends on how its going to be used.

Thinking a "splint", big nuts & bolts and
those spiked timber connectors in between?

How much overlap from the splint section onto each other piece?

Depends on how its going to be used.

What's the strongest method?

In old buildings they would use a scarf joint or a derivative of one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarf_joint

trait de jupiter or "bolt-o-lightning joint".
- lovely.

I did joinery in France as a young man and I remember making a joint
known as the 'gueule de loup' the wolf's mouth. that was the female part
and into the wolf's mouth went the mouton, the sheep.
TW

Sounds neat but overkill for this simple flat roof (with slope for
pedants) shed build.

Cheers
--
Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

TimW Wrote in message:
On 29/08/17 09:10, jim wrote:
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
jim k wrote in message
o.uk...

I want to join two pieces of 4.8m 225mm x75mm
timber to create a longer length of c6.5m.

How to?

Depends on how its going to be used.

Thinking a "splint", big nuts & bolts and
those spiked timber connectors in between?

How much overlap from the splint section onto each other piece?

Depends on how its going to be used.

What's the strongest method?

I would use 2" timber and double it up, bolted together to make 4"x 9"
total with the joints staggered (and not one in the middle of the span).
that will be as strong as 3" x 9".

TW

If I doubled up the 3 x 9s similarly would that
give me an
effective 5x9? Would flitch plates add any more?

TIA
--
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message
TimW Wrote in message:
On 29/08/17 09:10, jim wrote:
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
jim k wrote in message
o.uk...

I want to join two pieces of 4.8m 225mm x75mm
timber to create a longer length of c6.5m.

How to?

Depends on how its going to be used.

Thinking a "splint", big nuts & bolts and
those spiked timber connectors in between?

How much overlap from the splint section onto each other piece?

Depends on how its going to be used.

What's the strongest method?

I would use 2" timber and double it up, bolted together to make 4"x 9"
total with the joints staggered (and not one in the middle of the span).
that will be as strong as 3" x 9".

TW

If I doubled up the 3 x 9s similarly would that give me an
effective 5x9?

6x9, yep

Would flitch plates add any more?

Yep.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message
newshound Wrote in message:
On 29/08/2017 12:02, tim... wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 8/29/2017 10:24 AM, tim... wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 8/28/2017 4:09 PM, jim wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 8/28/2017 3:33 PM, jim wrote:

[...]

it's got noting to do with whether it is actually flat

what's important is how the beam may have to take some load

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"tim..." Wrote in message:

"jim" k wrote in message
newshound Wrote in message:
On 29/08/2017 12:02, tim... wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 8/29/2017 10:24 AM, tim... wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 8/28/2017 4:09 PM, jim wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 8/28/2017 3:33 PM, jim wrote:

[...]

Bless!
--
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:

I want to join two pieces of 4.8m 225mm x75mm timber to create a
longer length of c6.5m.

How to?

Thinking a "splint", big nuts & bolts and those spiked timber
connectors in between?

How much overlap from the splint section onto each other piece?

Any gotchas?
TIA

Look up finger joint, and if that is not good enough bolt a bit if angle
under it extending past joint.

I-Beams T-Beams and cutting? andymason79 Metalworking 8 November 10th 05 08:56 PM
Load bearing beams William Munns UK diy 10 April 7th 04 10:22 AM
Sagging Floors, Jack Posts, Sandwich Beams MS Home Repair 7 March 20th 04 04:48 AM
old black beams DavidD UK diy 4 September 23rd 03 07:25 PM
I beams for shed roof Grunff UK diy 3 July 31st 03 07:29 PM