Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default email funny

The email server has started putting up the following message on some
addresses.

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:
Please turn on SMTP Authentication in your mail client.
171.146.112.87.dyn.plus.net ([192.168.0.5]) [87.112.146.171]:50034 is not
permitted to relay through this server without authentication..
Please check the message recipient " and try again.

This does not happen with mac.com addresses or some others I suspect
the email server has had it's software improved, any comments. by the
way using the gmail account works,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:
The email server has started putting up the following message on
some addresses.

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:
Please turn on SMTP Authentication in your mail client.
171.146.112.87.dyn.plus.net ([192.168.0.5]) [87.112.146.171]:50034 is not
permitted to relay through this server without authentication..
Please check the message recipient " and try again.

This does not happen with mac.com addresses or some others I suspect
the email server has had it's software improved, any comments. by the
way using the gmail account works,

The email server thinks your trying to 'relay' through it. In the good
old days, an email server would happily accept a message from (for
example)
and deliver it to
without checking the sending or receiving
domains at all. And then someone invented spam. So now, email servers
check to make sure that either the sending domain, or the receiving
domain, is the same as the domain they were setup to cater for. If
neither match the server's own domain, then you are considered by be
'relaying' through it, and very few servers will allow that these days.
In fact, ones that do will usually find themselves on a blacklist.

Having said all that, I still can't say exactly what's wrong, but I hope
you have some idea of what the email server thinks is going on. Most
likely is that your sending account is configured with an email address
that the server is not configured to be a host for. It doesn't normally
matter what the receiving email address is, because otherwise no-one
would be able to send email to anyone :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2017 10:52, Capitol wrote:
The email server has started putting up the following message on
some addresses.

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:
Please turn on SMTP Authentication in your mail client.
171.146.112.87.dyn.plus.net ([192.168.0.5]) [87.112.146.171]:50034 is not
permitted to relay through this server without authentication..
Please check the message recipient " and try again.

This does not happen with mac.com addresses or some others I
suspect the email server has had it's software improved, any comments.
by the way using the gmail account works,

It looks like you are sending through a plusnet SMTP server. They will
only accept un authenticated SMTP requests from users with an IP that is
inside one of their net blocks. If you attempt to connect from an
external IP, then you also need to authenticate to demonstrate you are
one of their legitimate users.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2017 10:52, Capitol wrote:
The email server has started putting up the following message on
some addresses.

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:
Please turn on SMTP Authentication in your mail client.
171.146.112.87.dyn.plus.net ([192.168.0.5]) [87.112.146.171]:50034 is not
permitted to relay through this server without authentication..
Please check the message recipient " and try again.

This does not happen with mac.com addresses or some others I suspect
the email server has had it's software improved, any comments. by the
way using the gmail account works,

Which email client are you using?

I would suggest you look what the email client now requires and set your
SMTP setting accordingly for the email domain address.

It does suggest they are clamping down on their server being used for
spam. Not a bad thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Capitol
wrote:

The email server has started putting up the following message on
some addresses.

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:
Please turn on SMTP Authentication in your mail client.
171.146.112.87.dyn.plus.net ([192.168.0.5]) [87.112.146.171]:50034 is not
permitted to relay through this server without authentication..
Please check the message recipient " and try again.

This does not happen with mac.com addresses or some others I
suspect the email server has had it's software improved, any comments.
by the way using the gmail account works,

Why don't you just turn it on?

It is on!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:

email across the domain works. ie to .

Does the provider provide SMTP submission port 587 (or perhaps legacy
465) instead of 25?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/17 11:55, John Rumm wrote:
On 18/08/2017 10:52, Capitol wrote:
The email server has started putting up the following message on
some addresses.

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:
Please turn on SMTP Authentication in your mail client.
171.146.112.87.dyn.plus.net ([192.168.0.5]) [87.112.146.171]:50034 is
not
permitted to relay through this server without authentication..
Please check the message recipient " and try again.

This does not happen with mac.com addresses or some others I
suspect the email server has had it's software improved, any comments.
by the way using the gmail account works,

It looks like you are sending through a plusnet SMTP server. They will
only accept un authenticated SMTP requests from users with an IP that
is inside one of their net blocks.

which this would seem to be (171.146.112.87.dyn.plus.net)

Yup, fair point - I just looked at the IP and did not recognise it as
one of their normal netblocks.

If you attempt to connect from an external IP, then you also need to
authenticate to demonstrate you are one of their legitimate users.

True, but he hasn't/isn't
I suspect that plusnet has added some net blocks and not told their smtp
relay about them yet.

Sounds plausible...

Also some SMTP servers are getting more touchy about the types of
connection that they will accept - many only accepting encrypted
connections now. (although not the case in this circumstance looking at
the error)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 18/08/17 12:35, Capitol wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
[...]

The connection is via a plusnet web connection, not a plusnet
mail server

Er no, it isn't.

Explain please.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2017 13:59, John Rumm wrote:
On 18/08/17 11:55, John Rumm wrote:
On 18/08/2017 10:52, Capitol wrote:
Â*Â*Â*Â* The email server has started putting up the following message on
some addresses.

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:
Please turn on SMTP Authentication in your mail client.
171.146.112.87.dyn.plus.net ([192.168.0.5]) [87.112.146.171]:50034 is
not
permitted to relay through this server without authentication..
Â* Please check the message recipient " and try again.

Â*Â*Â*Â* This does not happen with mac.com addresses or some others I
[...]

The five mail servers I use all only allow encrypted connections and its
a good thing IMO.

Even my own, which I don't currently use, is configured for encrypted only.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/17 15:52, Capitol wrote:
Please turn on SMTP Authentication in your mail client.
171.146.112.87.dyn.plus.net ([192.168.0.5]) [87.112.146.171]:50034
is not
permitted to relay through this server without authentication

That is not a message rejecting mail from a web server, but from the
users own PC.(87.112.146.171 is router,192.168.0.5 is PC itself)

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people

Peter Thompson

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2017 16:42, dennis@home wrote:
[...]

Generally yes, unless you need to maintain email working on a legacy
platform that does not have modern email clients.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |