Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default flush mounting panels on a brick/block wall

Panels in question are 18mm MDF 48 inches by 24 inches wide which
I need to affix to a plastered block wall, preferably without
any obvious fixings or gaps.

I have some interlinking clips from a local hardware store
but the screw holes are positioned so they also overlap
and screws were not supplied. They need to have quite
flat heads else the two sections (one affixed to panel
the other to wall) will not slide over each other.

When attached the four screw holes line up which makes
it even more awkward to find suitable screws anyway.

Has anyone else tried to do this ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2017 13:25, Andrew wrote:
Panels in question are 18mm MDF 48 inches by 24 inches wide which
I need to affix to a plastered block wall, preferably without
any obvious fixings or gaps.

I have some interlinking clips from a local hardware store
but the screw holes are positioned so they also overlap
and screws were not supplied. They need to have quite
flat heads else the two sections (one affixed to panel
the other to wall) will not slide over each other.

When attached the four screw holes line up which makes
it even more awkward to find suitable screws anyway.

Has anyone else tried to do this ?.

The ones I have bought are these :-

http://www.screwfix.com/p/flush-moun...-10-pack/11423
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
On 16/08/2017 13:25, Andrew wrote:
Panels in question are 18mm MDF 48 inches by 24 inches wide which
I need to affix to a plastered block wall, preferably without
any obvious fixings or gaps.

I have some interlinking clips from a local hardware store
but the screw holes are positioned so they also overlap
and screws were not supplied. They need to have quite
flat heads else the two sections (one affixed to panel
the other to wall) will not slide over each other.

When attached the four screw holes line up which makes
it even more awkward to find suitable screws anyway.

Has anyone else tried to do this ?.

The ones I have bought are these :-

http://www.screwfix.com/p/flush-moun...-10-pack/11423

First problem is how flat is the wall? You will need to ensure that the
wall mountings are absolutely flat across the wall, packing the plates
out if necessary. These plates are near a zero tolerance device. then
it's a case of extreme patience getting all the fixings to line up. You
might be better off looking for some flat panel versions of these
plates, which are more tolerant of location. You're still going to have
an alignment problem even then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2017 15:01, Capitol wrote:
Andrew wrote:
[...]

What do you mean by 'flat penel versions' ?.

I have tried google and these are all I could find.

There are up to 3 mm hollows and high spots on the walls over the
48 inch depth of these panels, but I was only going to use two near
the top corners and if necessary shim them out if there was a high
spot half way down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

Panels in question are 18mm MDF 48 inches by 24 inches wide which
I need to affix to a plastered block wall, preferably without
any obvious fixings or gaps.

I have some interlinking clips from a local hardware store
but the screw holes are positioned so they also overlap
and screws were not supplied. They need to have quite
flat heads else the two sections (one affixed to panel
the other to wall) will not slide over each other.

When attached the four screw holes line up which makes
it even more awkward to find suitable screws anyway.

Has anyone else tried to do this ?.

I mounted an IKEA wardrobe door panel, a similar size to your
proposal, as a double bed headboard using clips like that, and it
was certainly tricky to find screws that would not foul and still
be suitable robust. I think I just rummaged in my collection
until I found something that would do.

The wall was evidently not flat, (though I had not previously
noticed any significant bow) and the panel stands off a few mm,
which is perfectly fine for my installation, but would not suit
you.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 16 August 2017 13:25:56 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
Panels in question are 18mm MDF 48 inches by 24 inches wide which
I need to affix to a plastered block wall, preferably without
any obvious fixings or gaps.

I have some interlinking clips from a local hardware store
but the screw holes are positioned so they also overlap
and screws were not supplied. They need to have quite
flat heads else the two sections (one affixed to panel
the other to wall) will not slide over each other.

When attached the four screw holes line up which makes
it even more awkward to find suitable screws anyway.

Has anyone else tried to do this ?.

You'd be better using one of these "instant grab" glues.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/17 13:25, Andrew wrote:
Panels in question are 18mm MDF 48 inches by 24 inches wide which
I need to affix to a plastered block wall, preferably without
any obvious fixings or gaps.

I have some interlinking clips from a local hardware store
but the screw holes are positioned so they also overlap
and screws were not supplied. They need to have quite
flat heads else the two sections (one affixed to panel
the other to wall) will not slide over each other.

Countersink screws? What is diameter of the holes in the clips?

When attached the four screw holes line up which makes
it even more awkward to find suitable screws anyway.

Has anyone else tried to do this ?.

Do you have access to a router? Various options then of sinking your
clips slightly into the wood, or making an internal 'pocket' behind a
metal plate 'keyhole' that would surround the head of a wall mounted
bolt, or hold a glued in ex-hard drive neodymium magnet.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
[...]

Similar to
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Shelf-Bra...nting+brackets

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

Panels in question are 18mm MDF 48 inches by 24 inches wide which
I need to affix to a plastered block wall, preferably without
any obvious fixings or gaps.

these can be routed to recess them within the panel to make them truly
flush ...

http://button-fix.com/button-fix-type-1-fix

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2017 20:04, Andy Burns wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Panels in question are 18mm MDF 48 inches by 24 inches wide which
I need to affix to a plastered block wall, preferably without
any obvious fixings or gaps.

these can be routed to recess them within the panel to make them truly
flush ...

http://button-fix.com/button-fix-type-1-fix

Interesting.

But I suspect finding the correct screws to attach the buttons to
18mm MDF would be difficult to get in small quantities.

The video shows a router being used to rebate the black sections
and the buttons fitted to the panel. I would have to fit the
buttons to the wall (with the problem of accurate drilling and
rebate the panel making the choice of screw even more difficult.

Fitting the buttons to the panel and leaving them to stand out 6 mm
would be ok.

Unless I can find somewhere that sells them in small quantities
though, it will have to carry on with those screwfix fittings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

Panels in question are 18mm MDF 48 inches by 24 inches wide which
I need to affix to a plastered block wall, preferably without
any obvious fixings or gaps.

these can be routed to recess them within the panel to make them truly
flush ...

http://button-fix.com/button-fix-type-1-fix

There is an SDS trade centre at Weir road Wimbledon that sells these.
Has anyone bought anything there ?. Do they sell to the public ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

http://button-fix.com/button-fix-type-1-fix

There is an SDS trade centre at Weir road Wimbledon that sells these.
Has anyone bought anything there ?. Do they sell to the public ?.

The about page of their website says

"SDS has been supplying architectural ironmongery to the trade and
public from our showrooms in Battersea for over twenty-five years [...]
Our new warehouse at 20 Weir Road, Wimbledon, SW19 8UG. All click to
collect orders are to be collected from our warehouse."