Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default R. Cott. 22

Pipe insulation.

Suggested securing method for non self adhesive polyethylene foam
sleeves is cable ties!

Accessibility, age/eyesight and unsightlyness set me looking for a
reliable alternative.

Any experience of using duct tape for this job? Some of these pipes will
be run in inaccessible, cold soffit spaces.
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 09:43:12 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Pipe insulation.

Suggested securing method for non self adhesive polyethylene foam
sleeves is cable ties!

Accessibility, age/eyesight and unsightlyness set me looking for a
reliable alternative.

Any experience of using duct tape for this job? Some of these pipes will
be run in inaccessible, cold soffit spaces.

I've used duct tape - when I ran out of ties Ties are much simpler to
wrap around and fasten IME.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2017 09:43, Tim Lamb wrote:
Pipe insulation.

Suggested securing method for non self adhesive polyethylene foam
sleeves is cable ties!

Accessibility, age/eyesight and unsightlyness set me looking for a
reliable alternative.

Any experience of using duct tape for this job? Some of these pipes will
be run in inaccessible, cold soffit spaces.

If you want it to stay on use the cable ties.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2017 09:43, Tim Lamb wrote:
Pipe insulation.

Suggested securing method for non self adhesive polyethylene foam
sleeves is cable ties!

Accessibility, age/eyesight and unsightlyness set me looking for a
reliable alternative.

Any experience of using duct tape for this job? Some of these pipes will
be run in inaccessible, cold soffit spaces.

I've used aluminium duct tape over CH pipes that seems to have stayed
stuck but with inaccessible I'd put cable ties over that. And probably
still lie awake wondering if I'd been paranoid enough

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 16:07:43 +0100
Robin wrote:

On 16/08/2017 09:43, Tim Lamb wrote:
Pipe insulation.

Suggested securing method for non self adhesive polyethylene foam
sleeves is cable ties!

Accessibility, age/eyesight and unsightlyness set me looking for a
reliable alternative.

Any experience of using duct tape for this job? Some of these pipes
will be run in inaccessible, cold soffit spaces.

I've used aluminium duct tape over CH pipes that seems to have stayed
stuck but with inaccessible I'd put cable ties over that. And
probably still lie awake wondering if I'd been paranoid enough

You could use metal ties for extra security.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2017 16:07, Robin wrote:
On 16/08/2017 09:43, Tim Lamb wrote:
Pipe insulation.

Suggested securing method for non self adhesive polyethylene foam
sleeves is cable ties!

Accessibility, age/eyesight and unsightlyness set me looking for a
reliable alternative.

Any experience of using duct tape for this job? Some of these pipes
will be run in inaccessible, cold soffit spaces.

I've used aluminium duct tape over CH pipes that seems to have stayed
stuck but with inaccessible I'd put cable ties over that. And probably
still lie awake wondering if I'd been paranoid enough

You could put spiral cable wrap over it but stuff that big isn't cheap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And if they are out of sight, does it matter what they look like. One thing
though is that it appears all cable ties are not created equal when it comes
to being out in hot and cold weather. Some of the cheap pound shop pack ones
seem to go brittle and fall to bits in a year.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Mark Allread" wrote in message
o.uk...
On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 09:43:12 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Pipe insulation.

Suggested securing method for non self adhesive polyethylene foam
sleeves is cable ties!

Accessibility, age/eyesight and unsightlyness set me looking for a
reliable alternative.

Any experience of using duct tape for this job? Some of these pipes will
be run in inaccessible, cold soffit spaces.

I've used duct tape - when I ran out of ties Ties are much simpler to
wrap around and fasten IME.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
And if they are out of sight, does it matter what they look like. One thing
though is that it appears all cable ties are not created equal when it comes
to being out in hot and cold weather. Some of the cheap pound shop pack ones
seem to go brittle and fall to bits in a year.

OK chaps. Decent cable ties for the cold inaccessible runs and duct tape
for the warm space get attable:-)

--
Tim Lamb

R. Cott. 15 Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 9 June 21st 17 02:49 PM
R. Cott 14 Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 3 June 11th 17 09:26 PM
R. Cott. 13 (thermostats) Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 6 March 25th 17 02:24 PM
R. Cott. 13 Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 4 February 13th 17 01:17 AM
R. Cott. 12 Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 52 January 15th 17 12:15 PM