Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Paul Moore

Default Question about varnishing hard wood

Hello all,

I've been varnishing an old oak cabinet that we've had for years. I started
out from scratch by sanding off all the old grunge back to the bare wood.
I've applied several coats of varnish and it gives the appearance that the
varnish is not evenly applied. That is, the darker grain seems to repel the
varnish, whereas the lighter areas have taken the varnish no problem. To the
touch, it feels as if the varnish layers consists of a series of tiny hills
and troughs, instead of being evenly smooth.

Should I have used some kind of primer or preparation before starting? Can I
use it now, or do I have to restart from the bare wood.

Many thanks,
Paul

-nospam
Remove "-nospam" for real address

Floating wood floor. ian UK diy 4 July 25th 03 06:44 PM
wood laminate flooring Daniel UK diy 9 July 24th 03 02:33 PM
Bending Wood ? Reteplav UK diy 7 July 23rd 03 05:44 PM
Glow-Worm 30Ci & bypass question Dazed UK diy 10 July 19th 03 03:26 PM