Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas Boiler hot water fail after service - conspiracy?

My boiler was serviced less than a month ago. No hot water though the
combi boiler CH works, and also running the HW with CH off results in
radiators warming up.

Now coupled with my recent car problems when after a service/MOT the
Ford Focus bonnet cover came loose then shortly after the lock broke
I'm going conspiracy theory - "we need to get some money out of this
guy somehow".

Perhaps I just shouldn't bother with services and wait for the item to
break down.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 9 August 2017 14:20:57 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
Perhaps I just shouldn't bother with services and wait for the item to
break down.

In the case of a lot of modern equipment that's probably sensible. It doesn't need routine taking-apart and de-coking.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2017 14:20, AnthonyL wrote:

Perhaps I just shouldn't bother with services and wait for the item to
break down.

No need to have a car serviced unless it's hit the required service
interval (miles travelled and not "or every 12 months" )

As for Boilers then leave well alone until such time as something stops
working. Our shop boiler (pre-condenser Valliant combi) runs around 12
hours a day during the C/H season. and that's burning for the full 12
hours not on/off of an insulated domestic property.

Diverter valve stopped diverting about 10 years ago but we don't use hot
water anyway so I didn't bother fixing it.
Only thing I've had to do to it in the last 15+ years was about 6 months
ago when I had to open the burner box for the first time in it's life to
give the flame sensor/thermocouple a rub over to remove a bit of
oxidation which was delaying it's response to burner ignition causing it
to shut down gas to burner.

2 minute job and we're good for another 15 years I expect.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyL View Post
My boiler was serviced less than a month ago. No hot water though the
combi boiler CH works, and also running the HW with CH off results in
radiators warming up.

Now coupled with my recent car problems when after a service/MOT the
Ford Focus bonnet cover came loose then shortly after the lock broke
I'm going conspiracy theory - "we need to get some money out of this
guy somehow".

Perhaps I just shouldn't bother with services and wait for the item to
break down.

--
AnthonyL
Anthony, based on the problem you've described with your boiler, it sounds like your valve has stopped working.

As for your car, I've had similar problems in the past, and it does always seem like an unfortunate coincidence! While I agree that both cars and boilers can go unserviced until something major happens, I've come to realise (unfortunately) that without regular servicing, what repairs are then needed when something goes wrong are, more often than not, very costly.

If you're not convinced, consider servicing once every couple of years rather than annually.
--
Central and Gas Heating Prorefub.co.uk