Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car headlamp lens polishing

All modern cars suffer the headlamp lens's becoming opaque, its easy to
clean them and polish them up, with a fine abrasive - but what then?
They don't seem to remain clear as long as the did originally so do
manufacturers coat the lens in something, to prevent the UV and
atmosphere attacking the lens?

Would the clear lacquer spray as used by car painters do the job, or
might it attack the lens? Are the lens's polycarbonate?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
All modern cars suffer the headlamp lens's becoming opaque, its easy to
clean them and polish them up, with a fine abrasive - but what then?
They don't seem to remain clear as long as the did originally so do
manufacturers coat the lens in something, to prevent the UV and
atmosphere attacking the lens?

Would the clear lacquer spray as used by car painters do the job, or
might it attack the lens? Are the lens's polycarbonate?

I used clear nail varnish on one set of headlamps. Worked for a couple
of years, then I replaced the housings with new. Cost was minimal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
All modern cars suffer the headlamp lens's becoming opaque, its easy to
clean them and polish them up, with a fine abrasive - but what then?
They don't seem to remain clear as long as the did originally so do
manufacturers coat the lens in something, to prevent the UV and
atmosphere attacking the lens?

Would the clear lacquer spray as used by car painters do the job, or
might it attack the lens? Are the lens's polycarbonate?

Have you checked the usual suspects like Google and Ebay for a polishing
kit? I've seen them on sale somewhere, but luckily have never needed one.

The thing I'd try first is good 'ol Brasso. Or Autosol.

--
*It's o.k. to laugh during sexŒ.Œ.just don't point!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2017 16:17, Capitol wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
All modern cars suffer the headlamp lens's becoming opaque, its easy to
clean them and polish them up, with a fine abrasive - but what then?
They don't seem to remain clear as long as the did originally so do
manufacturers coat the lens in something, to prevent the UV and
atmosphere attacking the lens?

Would the clear lacquer spray as used by car painters do the job, or
might it attack the lens? Are the lens's polycarbonate?

I used clear nail varnish on one set of headlamps. Worked for a
couple of years, then I replaced the housings with new. Cost was minimal.

I am just waiting for the gf to smash the OS headlamp into something so
that I have an excuse to swap it and make it look as good as the NS one
that she smashed last week.

It was not her fault - even though the fence post that broke the
headlight was there 10 years before she was born it was still not her
fault as it did not give way.

The same fencepost also gave her cars OS rear cluster lights a good
kicking last year.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2017 12:53, Brian Reay wrote:
On 07/08/17 12:06, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
All modern cars suffer the headlamp lens's becoming opaque, its easy
to clean them and polish them up, with a fine abrasive - but what
then? They don't seem to remain clear as long as the did originally so
do manufacturers coat the lens in something, to prevent the UV and
atmosphere attacking the lens?

Would the clear lacquer spray as used by car painters do the job, or
might it attack the lens? Are the lens's polycarbonate?

Toothpaste is good, followed by a silicone wax. If you use stick on
'deflectors' for driving in Europe, the glue can damage the plastic, I
use protectors if possible and stick the defectors on those. Clean the
glue residue off ASAP and rise with water.

I used toothpaste. It got the car through the MOT. It is a silly
problem which I could do without. I think new replacements would have
been quite expensive for a car nearly 14 tears old at the time.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

..

Also - If I have a nice newish car - how can I prevent - or delay this
dererioration?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) explained :
Have you checked the usual suspects like Google and Ebay for a polishing
kit? I've seen them on sale somewhere, but luckily have never needed one.

The thing I'd try first is good 'ol Brasso. Or Autosol.

Polishing them up, to a clear finish is not the issue, I have done that
- the problem is to find something UV proof to spray on after
polishing, to delay it happening again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2017 19:36, Brian Reay wrote:
On 07/08/17 19:07, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) explained :
Have you checked the usual suspects like Google and Ebay for a polishing
kit? I've seen them on sale somewhere, but luckily have never needed
one.

The thing I'd try first is good 'ol Brasso. Or Autosol.

Polishing them up, to a clear finish is not the issue, I have done
that - the problem is to find something UV proof to spray on after
polishing, to delay it happening again.

Suntan cream ;-)

One part of this appears to be designed for the job, But what chemicals
are involved I have no idea.

http://www.autopaintsbrighton.com/t-...kit-8895-p.asp

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote

All modern cars suffer the headlamp lens's becoming opaque,

Mine havent in 10 years now.

its easy to clean them and polish them
up, with a fine abrasive - but what then?

They don't seem to remain clear as long as the did originally
so do manufacturers coat the lens in something, to prevent
the UV and atmosphere attacking the lens?

Or just use a better plastic.

Would the clear lacquer spray as used by car painters do the job,

Unlikely that any spray on lacquer can do that. Maybe that's why
you are seeing the problem, that spray on stuff being used. I've
never used it myself and have never had anyone clean the car.

or might it attack the lens? Are the lens's polycarbonate?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
On 07/08/17 12:06, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
All modern cars suffer the headlamp lens's becoming opaque, its easy to
clean them and polish them up, with a fine abrasive - but what then? They
don't seem to remain clear as long as the did originally so do
manufacturers coat the lens in something, to prevent the UV and
atmosphere attacking the lens?

Would the clear lacquer spray as used by car painters do the job, or
might it attack the lens? Are the lens's polycarbonate?

Toothpaste is good, followed by a silicone wax. If you use stick on
'deflectors' for driving in Europe, the glue can damage the plastic, I use
protectors if possible and stick the defectors on those. Clean the glue
residue off ASAP and rise with water.

The lacquer probably isn't a good idea, the solvent may damage the
plastic.

My CRV had protectors on, one was 'nicked' (why one?) and the lens under
them are as good as new except for a bit near the top, after 11 years. My
MX5, new in 1999, has protectors, and its lenses are as good as new under
them.

My Hyundai Getz has never had anything and the headlights are still
as good as new after 11 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
.

Also - If I have a nice newish car - how can I prevent - or delay this
dererioration?

No need to with a properly designed and manufactured car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) explained :
Have you checked the usual suspects like Google and Ebay for a polishing
kit? I've seen them on sale somewhere, but luckily have never needed one.

The thing I'd try first is good 'ol Brasso. Or Autosol.

Polishing them up, to a clear finish is not the issue, I have done that
- the problem is to find something UV proof to spray on after
polishing, to delay it happening again.

Presumably it takes a few years to happen? Or is there some form of
chemical change which means it will happen more quickly a second time if
polished clear?

I've seen a similar thing with car paint. Goes dull, and a compound and
polish makes it look good again - but only for a short while.

--
*I like cats, too. Let's exchange recipes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 7 August 2017 23:52:57 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) explained :

Have you checked the usual suspects like Google and Ebay for a polishing
kit? I've seen them on sale somewhere, but luckily have never needed one.

The thing I'd try first is good 'ol Brasso. Or Autosol.

Polishing them up, to a clear finish is not the issue, I have done that
- the problem is to find something UV proof to spray on after
polishing, to delay it happening again.

Presumably it takes a few years to happen? Or is there some form of
chemical change which means it will happen more quickly a second time if
polished clear?

I've seen a similar thing with car paint. Goes dull, and a compound and
polish makes it look good again - but only for a short while.

New headlights have a uv protecting layer. Polished ones don't.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2017 22:36, Rod Speed wrote:

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
[...]

Do you keep it in a garage?

UV is part of the problem- probably why protectors help, they stop
(reduce) the uV reaching the lenses.

The qualify / resistance of the plastic may well vary a bit from maker
to maker but I doubt it is hugely different. Components like lights are
often made in common factories for multiple manufacturers.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think the lenses just age just like those corrugated sheets do.
A friend seems to get through Citroen ones on a hearly basis. I find it
hard to believe they cannot make a material which lasts without going milky
yellow or brittle in the normal climate. I have to conclude that its just
that they don't want to make them last.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
All modern cars suffer the headlamp lens's becoming opaque, its easy to
clean them and polish them up, with a fine abrasive - but what then? They
don't seem to remain clear as long as the did originally so do
manufacturers coat the lens in something, to prevent the UV and atmosphere
attacking the lens?

Would the clear lacquer spray as used by car painters do the job, or might
it attack the lens? Are the lens's polycarbonate?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

I think the lenses just age just like those corrugated sheets do.
A friend seems to get through Citroen ones on a hearly basis. I find it
hard to believe they cannot make a material which lasts without going
milky yellow or brittle in the normal climate. I have to conclude that its
just that they don't want to make them last.

Hyundai does. Mine have done 11 years now with no visible deterioration at
all and
the car is always outside, never in a garage or carport because I don’t have
either.

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
All modern cars suffer the headlamp lens's becoming opaque, its easy to
clean them and polish them up, with a fine abrasive - but what then? They
don't seem to remain clear as long as the did originally so do
manufacturers coat the lens in something, to prevent the UV and
atmosphere attacking the lens?

Would the clear lacquer spray as used by car painters do the job, or
might it attack the lens? Are the lens's polycarbonate?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield presented the following explanation :
All modern cars suffer the headlamp lens's becoming opaque, its easy to clean
them and polish them up, with a fine abrasive - but what then? They don't
seem to remain clear as long as the did originally so do manufacturers coat
the lens in something, to prevent the UV and atmosphere attacking the lens?

Would the clear lacquer spray as used by car painters do the job, or might it
attack the lens? Are the lens's polycarbonate?

I know Harry's asking about how to keep them bright after the
restoration and so am I, but to take the restoration aspect first, it
happens because of oxidisation. If the oxidisation is extremely light
then you may just get away with the toothpaste method but it really
does only work when the problem is very slight.

Most cases of oxidisation will require something much better than
toothpaste and the 3M Headlight Restoration Kit is considered one of
the best http://tinyurl.com/y7vjke4x

I've got that kit but I haven't done the job yet because I haven't so
far found a suitable UV protector spray to coat them with afterwards.
There is absolutely no point in putting the effort in to get great
results if you don't coat them with a UV protector afterwards because
in a month or two they'll just be as bad again.

When the lens is manufactured a protective layer is built in at the
factory and it could take 10 years or more for it to break down and
become yellowed. When you polish out the oxidisation you're basically
removing the factory protective layer so you need something to replace
it after restoration. Most of the YouTube vids I've watched about the
process are american and we can't get hold of the UV protector(s) I've
seen them using, here in the UK as far as I know.

So, basically we're still looking for that elusive spray.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Zahut has brought this to us :
When the lens is manufactured a protective layer is built in at the factory
and it could take 10 years or more for it to break down and become yellowed.
When you polish out the oxidisation you're basically removing the factory
protective layer so you need something to replace it after restoration. Most
of the YouTube vids I've watched about the process are american and we can't
get hold of the UV protector(s) I've seen them using, here in the UK as far
as I know.

So, basically we're still looking for that elusive spray.

Exactly right, which is where I am at, at the moment. My lens had not
yellowed, the had become slightly opaque - wet a finger and dab it on
the lens and it would show clear.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Zahut wrote on 08/08/2017 :
So, basically we're still looking for that elusive spray.

A bit of research seems to suggest that 2K UV proof top coat is the
best stuff to use. One manufacturer of such a spray, even advertises it
for that purpose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 7:12:11 AM UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Pete Zahut wrote on 08/08/2017 :
So, basically we're still looking for that elusive spray.

A bit of research seems to suggest that 2K UV proof top coat is the
best stuff to use. One manufacturer of such a spray, even advertises it
for that purpose.

This

http://www.spraymax.com/en/products/...2k-clear-coat/

?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have used Meguiars one step before. They do a two step kit which includes a UV protection spray:

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/shop/two-s...estoration-kit

I havent used it myself.

Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 10:35:02 -0700 (PDT), AlanC
wrote:

I have used Meguiars one step before. They do a two step kit which includes a UV protection spray:

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/shop/two-s...estoration-kit

I havent used it myself.

Alan

For £30 I'd expect something better than:
"Meguiar’s proprietary coating prevents re-oxidation for up to a
year!"
Note the "up to" - where have we heard that before!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have used Meguiars one step before. They do a two step kit which includes a UV protection spray:

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/shop/two-s...estoration-kit

I havent used it myself.

Alan

For £30 I'd expect something better than:
"Meguiar’s proprietary coating prevents re-oxidation for up to a
year!"
Note the "up to" - where have we heard that before!

True. My guess is to get a decent coating that works would require a
factory process - like spraying - to get something invisible that lasts.

I suppose the OP has checked it's not possible to buy new lenses?

--
*Succeed, in spite of management *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2017 18:18, ARW wrote:

I am just waiting for the gf to smash the OS headlamp into something so
that I have an excuse to swap it and make it look as good as the NS one
that she smashed last week.

It was not her fault - even though the fence post that broke the
headlight was there 10 years before she was born it was still not her
fault as it did not give way.

The same fencepost also gave her cars OS rear cluster lights a good
kicking last year.

Fence posts, eh? You just can't trust them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield brought next idea :
Pete Zahut wrote on 08/08/2017 :
So, basically we're still looking for that elusive spray.

A bit of research seems to suggest that 2K UV proof top coat is the best
stuff to use. One manufacturer of such a spray, even advertises it for that
purpose.

Thanks Harry

Car CD player - anything I can clean besides the lens? curls[_2_] Electronics Repair 31 June 22nd 16 05:42 AM
Headlamp Lens (plastic fogging) DerbyBorn[_5_] UK diy 9 April 26th 16 09:34 AM
Car headlamp bulb ss UK diy 66 December 30th 14 11:13 AM
Headlamp Beam Adaptors Michael Shergold UK diy 7 May 16th 07 09:34 AM
Need to adapt a fiber optic as a lens to a video camera lens,can anyone help me out? Rich Grise Electronics 0 October 19th 03 11:33 PM