Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best paint for external ironwork

I have some vintage external ironwork to paint. Its a series of
substantial decorative iron posts, which have a rusty surface under the
existing crumbling/flaking paint.

Having given them a very good rub down with the radio times (make that a
wire brush in the end of a drill), instinct tells me to go out and buy
some Hammerite.

http://www.hammerite.co.uk/product/d...smooth-finish/

However I have been doing a bit of web surface and tool station sell a
"Flag Paints" brand.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pai...t+500ml/p23657

Does anyone have any good/bad experience with the Flag brand or any
other alternative suggestions

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Aug 2017 14:01:42 +0100, Chris B wrote:

I have some vintage external ironwork to paint. Its a series of
substantial decorative iron posts, which have a rusty surface under the
existing crumbling/flaking paint.

http://www.hammerite.co.uk/product/d...-paint-smooth-

finish/

That's what I recently used. Good finish to it.

Does anyone have any good/bad experience with the Flag brand or any
other alternative suggestions

No experience of that particular brand but the local wrought iron smiths
around here have both suggested that Dulux do a good metal paint these
days with a better range of colours than Hammerite.

I've not tried them so no idea what the costs are or how good they are -
but they do come with recommendations from those who [should] know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris B wrote:
Having given them a very good rub down with the radio times (make that a
wire brush in the end of a drill), instinct tells me to go out and buy
some Hammerite.

I did half of my railings in Hammerite smooth, and half using Wicks oil
based plain black. If there is a difference in how long they last, it's
not obvious. Both have lost their gloss and are rusty in places - just
about to be re-painted.

--
*And the cardiologist' s diet: - If it tastes good spit it out.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2017 14:01, Chris B wrote:
I have some vintage external ironwork to paint. Its a series of
substantial decorative iron posts, which have a rusty surface under the
existing crumbling/flaking paint.

Having given them a very good rub down with the radio times (make that a
wire brush in the end of a drill), instinct tells me to go out and buy
some Hammerite.

http://www.hammerite.co.uk/product/d...smooth-finish/

However I have been doing a bit of web surface and tool station sell a
"Flag Paints" brand.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pai...t+500ml/p23657

Does anyone have any good/bad experience with the Flag brand or any
other alternative suggestions

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/acid$20rust$20uk.d-i-y/uk.d-i-y/puWfXpyANpY/Ld4D6Af3AAAJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I got nearly 10 years out of Hammerite but it did need a good clean first I
have to say, and some of that rust stopper stuff as well.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Chris B" wrote in message
news
I have some vintage external ironwork to paint. Its a series of
substantial decorative iron posts, which have a rusty surface under the
existing crumbling/flaking paint.

Having given them a very good rub down with the radio times (make that a
wire brush in the end of a drill), instinct tells me to go out and buy
some Hammerite.

http://www.hammerite.co.uk/product/d...smooth-finish/

However I have been doing a bit of web surface and tool station sell a
"Flag Paints" brand.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pai...t+500ml/p23657

Does anyone have any good/bad experience with the Flag brand or any other
alternative suggestions

--
Chris B (News)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

I got nearly 10 years out of Hammerite but it did need a good clean first
I have to say, and some of that rust stopper stuff as well.

I've got more than 45 years out of what I used on the RHS.

I did make sure I cleaned it properly with a wire brush on a 4"
angle grinder but no sign of any rust at all on any of it now.

"Chris B" wrote in message
news
I have some vintage external ironwork to paint. Its a series of
substantial decorative iron posts, which have a rusty surface under the
existing crumbling/flaking paint.

Having given them a very good rub down with the radio times (make that a
wire brush in the end of a drill), instinct tells me to go out and buy
some Hammerite.

http://www.hammerite.co.uk/product/d...smooth-finish/

However I have been doing a bit of web surface and tool station sell a
"Flag Paints" brand.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pai...t+500ml/p23657

Does anyone have any good/bad experience with the Flag brand or any other
alternative suggestions

--
Chris B (News)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2017 14:01, Chris B wrote:

Does anyone have any good/bad experience with the Flag brand or any
other alternative suggestions

Thanks for all of the comments. POR15 looks a bit OTT for the job in
hand. No clear winner for all of the others so it looks like I will be
sticking with what I know, although it may be no better or worse than
some of the others.

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris B wrote:
On 02/08/2017 14:01, Chris B wrote:

Does anyone have any good/bad experience with the Flag brand or any
other alternative suggestions

Thanks for all of the comments. POR15 looks a bit OTT for the job in
hand. No clear winner for all of the others so it looks like I will be
sticking with what I know, although it may be no better or worse than
some of the others.

The other gotcha is products can change their formulation without you
knowing. So one brand which was good some years ago may no longer be.
Prime examples being Nitromors and Evostik.

--
*TEAMWORK...means never having to take all the blame yourself *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 09:35:21 +0100, Chris B wrote:

On 02/08/2017 14:01, Chris B wrote:

Does anyone have any good/bad experience with the Flag brand or any
other alternative suggestions

Thanks for all of the comments. POR15 looks a bit OTT for the job in
hand. No clear winner for all of the others so it looks like I will be
sticking with what I know, although it may be no better or worse than
some of the others.

About 5 years ago I painted an anlge iron bench with DecoStyle from Aldi.
The iron was rusty and I just removed all the loose stuff, gave it a bit of
sanding and went over it with white spirit. There was still some rust on
most of it.
The paint claims to be OK on rust and is still intact. The only rust showing
is where I've been working on the top and caught the side a bit when sawing.
It's shiny-silvery, so no good for working on as it'sSW of the house and the
reflection is overpowering for several hours a day, so I gave it a couple of
coats of B&Q drab green fence and shed paint - that stuff's remarkably
durable.
I don't know if it's still available from Aldi, is still the same quality or
is available in black, but it was cheap, does the job and lasts well.
I'd guess that a workbench has a harder life than doeas a fence.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris B wrote:
I have some vintage external ironwork to paint. Its a series of
substantial decorative iron posts, which have a rusty surface under the
existing crumbling/flaking paint.

Having given them a very good rub down with the radio times (make that a
wire brush in the end of a drill), instinct tells me to go out and buy
some Hammerite.

http://www.hammerite.co.uk/product/d...smooth-finish/

However I have been doing a bit of web surface and tool station sell a
"Flag Paints" brand.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pai...t+500ml/p23657

In France there are several brands of 'nothing like Hammerite' paint
which are specifically for painting 'directe sur rouille', that is
'direct onto rust'. I have been using the Bricomarché own-brand
'Nuance' version and so far I am impressed with the results. I use it
on my steel canal boat. I clean off the loose rust and then paint
direct onto the metal, usually two coats are sufficient even with
lighter colours (the superstructure is 'blanc cassé' a pale cream).

It actually advises that a small amount of rust is necessary for the
paint to 'take' well. For new metalwork they advise degreasing and
then washing to produce a bit of rust.

I haven't seen any paint like this in the UK though. Maybe the
non-hammered look Hammerite paints are the same/similar.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:
On 2017-08-03, Chris Green wrote:
Chris B wrote:
[...]

Sounds just like POR15. The "POR" stands for "Paint Over Rust". It's
awesome stuff, although difficult to handle because it sticks to everything
and is very hard (impossible) to remove from anywhere you get it accidentally.

I think it's somewhere between actually. It isn't like POR15 in that
it doesn't require humidity to cure, it's much more like 'ordinary'
paint on that front and it is thinned etc. with white spirit.

I *think* that maybe these 'direct sur rouille' paints are related to
Owatrol and 'Vernis pour Rouille' both of which can be added to
ordinary paints to improve the rust control.

One thing that gave me pause reading the POR15 information and reviews
is that one of the steps of preparation puts some zinc onto the
surface, is it just a well protected DIY galvanising?

--
Chris Green
·