Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Did you know?

It was Churchill, who came up with the original idea way back in 1953,
for the EU, as a response to the soviets?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote

It was Churchill, who came up with the original idea way back in 1953, for
the EU, as a response to the soviets?

Where are you getting that from ?

Wikipedia says nothing like that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe....E2.80.9357.29
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...munity#History

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 22:42:27 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

It was Churchill, who came up with the original idea way back in 1953,
for the EU, as a response to the soviets?

"And if they should ask us to join them in this endeavour, we shall reply
'no, for we are an island race, and we dwell among our own.'"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield writes:
It was Churchill, who came up with the original idea way back in 1953,
for the EU, as a response to the soviets?

It was Churchill, but it was in 1946, and it was nothing to do with
the soviets, but as a way to stop European wars breaking out every
20 years, and it worked.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 23:41:05 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

It was Churchill, but it was in 1946, and it was nothing to do with the
soviets, but as a way to stop European wars breaking out every 20 years,
and it worked.

Until the Germans emerged as the de facto boss of it all and reverted to
type, yes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 23:29:43 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 22:42:27 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

It was Churchill, who came up with the original idea way back in 1953,
for the EU, as a response to the soviets?

"And if they should ask us to join them in this endeavour, we shall reply
'no, for we are an island race, and we dwell among our own.'"

I see it all now!

Here was me thinking it was the Sun, Telegraph and Mail inducing
premature morbidity of the grey matter, all along it was actually
inbreeding.

AB
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Maybe, but hard to ask him now.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
It was Churchill, who came up with the original idea way back in 1953, for
the EU, as a response to the soviets?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Rod Speed wrote :
Where are you getting that from ?

History channel, which dealt with Churchill's life post war, when he
coined the phrase an 'Iron Curtain' decending on Europe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 26 July 2017 00:45:08 UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield writes:
It was Churchill, who came up with the original idea way back in 1953,
for the EU, as a response to the soviets?

It was Churchill, but it was in 1946, and it was nothing to do with
the soviets, but as a way to stop European wars breaking out every
20 years, and it worked.

Drivel.
It was nuclear weapons and NATO prevented further world wars.
Nothing to do with the EUSSR.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 26 July 2017 01:04:22 UTC+1, Chris wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 23:41:05 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

It was Churchill, but it was in 1946, and it was nothing to do with the
soviets, but as a way to stop European wars breaking out every 20 years,
and it worked.

Until the Germans emerged as the de facto boss of it all and reverted to
type, yes.

EUSSR = Fourth Reich.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/26/2017 1:00 AM, Chris wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 23:41:05 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

It was Churchill, but it was in 1946, and it was nothing to do with the
soviets, but as a way to stop European wars breaking out every 20 years,
and it worked.

Until the Germans emerged as the de facto boss of it all and reverted to
type, yes.

Remind me, who have they invaded recently?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Where are you getting that from ?

History channel, which dealt with Churchill's life post war, when
he coined the phrase an 'Iron Curtain' decending on Europe.

He actually ran that line in the US.

Looks very like someone with a barrow to push to me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/17 09:26, newshound wrote:
On 7/26/2017 1:00 AM, Chris wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 23:41:05 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

It was Churchill, but it was in 1946, and it was nothing to do with the
soviets, but as a way to stop European wars breaking out every 20 years,
and it worked.

Until the Germans emerged as the de facto boss of it all and reverted to
type, yes.

Remind me, who have they invaded recently?

Whole of the mediterranean beachfront

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

EUSSR

Using playground terms like that undermine any argument you want to
make.