Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 22 or 21.5mm pipe

Builders have damaged (...list of over a dozen items!)

One of these was the toilet overflow - it only protruded 10mm into
the outside world so they chopped it off and rendered it over!

Found a new piece of plastic pipe in a skip, but have just discovered
it won't connect to the cistern elbow joint.

Reason - the new pipe is 22mm and the old one is 21.5mm.

Plenty of pipes / fittings for both available on the web, but...

Why do we have to have two almost identical overflow pipes? I've
fiddled with the maths and 21.5 doesn't seem to produce a sensible
imperial fraction.

Was hoping to put a tick by this tonight and get on with the other
disasters tomorrow. I'm now going to sit down in front of the TV and
emery the end of my pipe.

GrahamC

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 22:11:26 +0100, Graham C wrote:

Why do we have to have two almost identical overflow pipes?

Like waste water, solvent weld and push fit.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/2017 22:11, Graham C wrote:

Why do we have to have two almost identical overflow pipes? I've
fiddled with the maths and 21.5 doesn't seem to produce a sensible
imperial fraction.

Its deliberate so that you don't mix up solvent weld and push fit pipe /
fittings.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2017 07:42, Tim+ wrote:
Graham C Wrote in message:
Builders have damaged (...list of over a dozen items!)

One of these was the toilet overflow - it only protruded 10mm into
the outside world so they chopped it off and rendered it over!

Found a new piece of plastic pipe in a skip, but have just discovered
it won't connect to the cistern elbow joint.

Reason - the new pipe is 22mm and the old one is 21.5mm.

Plenty of pipes / fittings for both available on the web, but...

Why do we have to have two almost identical overflow pipes? I've
fiddled with the maths and 21.5 doesn't seem to produce a sensible
imperial fraction.

Was hoping to put a tick by this tonight and get on with the other
disasters tomorrow. I'm now going to sit down in front of the TV and
emery the end of my pipe.

Might be easier to just convert the flush mech to one that
overflows into the a pan (as all modern ones seem
to.)

Tim

+1
I'm working through all the loos in the house, replacing flush and fill
valves - the improvement in flush "quality" and fill times is the main
driver but being able to ditch the overflow pipes is a major plus.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2017 07:42, Tim+ wrote:
Graham C Wrote in message:
[...]

It's another area of notorious incompatibility between
makers all resulting from the change from 3/4 inch to
metric between the 70's and 80's.

The stuff my local hardware store sells still seems to
be 3/4 inch though, but not the same in Travis Perkins.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 08:42:26 +0200 (GMT+02:00), Tim+
wrote:

Might be easier to just convert the flush mech to one that
overflows into the a pan (as all modern ones seem
to.)

Tim

Now this sounds excellent. Didn't know about these. I'd already
investigated routing the existing overflow into the down pipe via a
'T' piece and a number of adapters but it became a nightmare.

Have looked at Toolstation and they have just the job at a sensible
price

I'd already proved that if the inlet float jammed fully open, then the
water coming in was about 120% of what the existing overflow could
cope with. Damp (very) carpet syndrome.

Thanks.

GrahamC

---

Doubled up 9.5mm PB vs 12.5mm PB Tim Watts[_3_] UK diy 11 July 19th 16 08:27 AM
lights wires 1.5mm or 2.5mm (100 amp maion fuse) george [dicegeorge] UK diy 18 January 2nd 11 03:34 PM
38.5-39.5mm pipe. Ian Stirling UK diy 2 June 30th 05 12:23 PM
HELP: need diagram of a stereo 2.5mm plug to a 2.5mm socket graph 1 Electronics 1 May 30th 04 10:31 PM
thin (3.5mm) wood for making small (e.g. 30mm) tiles? Chris Nellist UK diy 14 September 8th 03 11:33 AM