Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Does pre-fitted steel frame for garage door need fitting at top?

Does a pre-fitted steel frame for a (single-width) (Garador) garage door
need fitting at the top? Or is it strong enough to function if it is only
fixed at the sides?

The reason I ask is that my garage door opening, once I've knocked all the
rotten timber out, will be about 10cm higher than the highest door that
that manufacturer makes at the required 8ft width.

Sorry to ask here, but I emailed Garador and the guy who answered from
their sales desk was a cut-and-paste merchant who couldn't be bothered to
get his head around the question.

Basically I would like to pay a supplier to supply and fit, and then I can
put a strip of non-structural plywood between frame and lintel. If I have
to fit solid timber framing across the top, which would require some
vertical pieces if it is to stay in place, I'd be tempted to think I might
as well fit framing down the sides as well, and buy a door without a pre-
fitted frame.

Thanks in advance.

Harry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harold Davis wrote:

Does a pre-fitted steel frame for a (single-width) (Garador) garage door
need fitting at the top? Or is it strong enough to function if it is only
fixed at the sides?

Mine (Hormann) is fixed at the sides only, with an infill of uPVC
cladding above.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harold Davis laid this down on his screen :
Does a pre-fitted steel frame for a (single-width) (Garador) garage door
need fitting at the top? Or is it strong enough to function if it is only
fixed at the sides?

The reason I ask is that my garage door opening, once I've knocked all the
rotten timber out, will be about 10cm higher than the highest door that
that manufacturer makes at the required 8ft width.

Sorry to ask here, but I emailed Garador and the guy who answered from
their sales desk was a cut-and-paste merchant who couldn't be bothered to
get his head around the question.

If it is an up and over type door, then all of the strain is on the
sides, so I would doubt it needs any solid structure above it.

Unless you have already ordered the door, then I would suggest you look
at a powered roller door. They are much more convenient and can take up
less space. A ready to fit, DIY, needn't cost any more than an up and
over type.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harold Davis" wrote in message

[...]

The uncooperative sales man needs to answer the question 'Do you want to
make a sale' - if the answer is Yes then he needs to answer your initial
question, but otherwise walk away and go elsewhere !

Sometime sales people need reminding what the customer / seller relationship
is all about !

(Oh, and copy your emails to the Garador MD !!)

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was going to say that I've actually seen transparent plastic used above
these doors when I could see, so that would kind of suggest its OK as long
as they actually made the frame strong enough.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Harold Davis wrote:

Does a pre-fitted steel frame for a (single-width) (Garador) garage door
need fitting at the top? Or is it strong enough to function if it is only
fixed at the sides?

Mine (Hormann) is fixed at the sides only, with an infill of uPVC cladding
above.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 08:35:40 +0100, Andrew Mawson wrote:

The uncooperative sales man needs to answer the question 'Do you want to
make a sale' - if the answer is Yes then he needs to answer your initial
question, but otherwise walk away and go elsewhere !

Sometime sales people need reminding what the customer / seller relationship
is all about !

(Oh, and copy your emails to the Garador MD !!)

Garador seems the market leader, what are the alternatives?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 12:40:34 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

We have, and are going to have in another property, Hormann. Very
pleased with the one we have.
http://www.hormann.co.uk/products/garage-doors/

Hormann here too and at the previous place. Currently two roller shutter
type and one sectional.