Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drilling mortice locks

I'm refurbishing an old door, which is fairly good condition, but has a
poorly-repaired hole (~6mm-ish) drilled in itjust above the keyhole
(well north by noth east of it). Apparently this was caused by drilling
the mortice lock to get past it at some stage.

Fixing it won't be hard, with a bit of 2-part filler, paint etc, but I
was wondering if I should do anything else. For example, BS locks are
supposed to be 'drill-resistant', but the one that was in this door
presumably wasn't (!), so perhaps there's a case for putting something
into or across the hole to make any future drilling attempts more difficult.

I've no idea what the outcome is of drilling a lock: Presumably it
releases the levers or something. Would that mean that drilling has to
be done in exactly the right place, or would making this one more
difficult to access just allow it to be drilled in a different position?

Of course, there could be a benefit in having a drillable lock, if all
the keys were lost/locked inside, but this is probably outweighed by day
to day security, and I do have a way into the house for that eventuality
anyway.

Any thoughts chaps?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
I'm refurbishing an old door, which is fairly good condition, but has a
poorly-repaired hole (~6mm-ish) drilled in itjust above the keyhole
(well north by noth east of it). Apparently this was caused by drilling
the mortice lock to get past it at some stage.

Fixing it won't be hard, with a bit of 2-part filler, paint etc, but I
was wondering if I should do anything else. For example, BS locks are
supposed to be 'drill-resistant', but the one that was in this door
presumably wasn't (!), so perhaps there's a case for putting something
into or across the hole to make any future drilling attempts more difficult.

Easier to buy a drill resistant lock. Last mortice lock I bought had a
spring steel "clip/shroud" that fitted around the body of the lock. I
assume that this was the "drill resistant" part.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2017 19:02, Tim+ wrote:
GMM wrote:
I'm refurbishing an old door, which is fairly good condition, but has a
poorly-repaired hole (~6mm-ish) drilled in itjust above the keyhole
(well north by noth east of it). Apparently this was caused by drilling
the mortice lock to get past it at some stage.

Fixing it won't be hard, with a bit of 2-part filler, paint etc, but I
was wondering if I should do anything else. For example, BS locks are
supposed to be 'drill-resistant', but the one that was in this door
presumably wasn't (!), so perhaps there's a case for putting something
into or across the hole to make any future drilling attempts more difficult.

Easier to buy a drill resistant lock. Last mortice lock I bought had a
spring steel "clip/shroud" that fitted around the body of the lock. I
assume that this was the "drill resistant" part.

Tim

I shall have to have a look at what's available. The current lock
(which I fitted because the previous looked a bit lightweight) is
claimed to be drill resistant and is a BS security etc etc Era model,
but didn't have any extraneous shield.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/22/2017 7:02 PM, Tim+ wrote:
GMM wrote:
I'm refurbishing an old door, which is fairly good condition, but has a
poorly-repaired hole (~6mm-ish) drilled in itjust above the keyhole
(well north by noth east of it). Apparently this was caused by drilling
the mortice lock to get past it at some stage.

Fixing it won't be hard, with a bit of 2-part filler, paint etc, but I
was wondering if I should do anything else. For example, BS locks are
supposed to be 'drill-resistant', but the one that was in this door
presumably wasn't (!), so perhaps there's a case for putting something
into or across the hole to make any future drilling attempts more difficult.

Easier to buy a drill resistant lock. Last mortice lock I bought had a
spring steel "clip/shroud" that fitted around the body of the lock. I
assume that this was the "drill resistant" part.

Tim

I wonder how worthwhile "drill resistant" is these days, since a
cordless angle grinder with a 3AH battery will presumably take out any
mortise lock. I realise that "bank vault" bolts are designed with pins
that spin to add a bit of resistance, but I guess a few judicious plunge
cuts with a 125 mm angle grinder are probably going to defeat most things.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2017 19:12, newshound wrote:
On 7/22/2017 7:02 PM, Tim+ wrote:
GMM wrote:
[...]

I'm sure you're right, although if they want to get in that much, you
may as well leave it all unlocked and save having to clear up the
damage. I would have thought the average casual housebreaker would see
a cordless angle grinder as far too much of an investment though, and
would be able to think of better excuses for carrying a drill.

When I managed to get locked out of the house, all it took was a
thin-bladed filler knife. The joy of sliding sashes!

Of course, anyone going to a lot of trouble to break into my place would
be in for quite a disappointment when they see how little there is to
nick...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

All I can say is, if anyone is that determined to come with a drill then I'd
suggest they really really want to get in and short of an electrified fence
and patrolling dogs they are gonna get in whatever you do. There is security
and there is paranoia.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"GMM" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 19:01:37 +0100, GMM wrote:

I've no idea what the outcome is of drilling a lock: Presumably it
releases the levers or something. Would that mean that drilling has to
be done in exactly the right place, or would making this one more
difficult to access just allow it to be drilled in a different position?

Hole position is specific to the mortice lock.
Templates are available anywhere e.g.
http://www.walkerlocksmiths.co.uk/in...product_id=126

"This template kit is designed for use with a 4mm drill bit, but
larger bits can be used. It contains the drill points for 67 mortice
locks, including the new British Standard locks such as the BS
Securefast, the Walsall, the Chubb 114e and the ERA Fortress."