Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Trains redux

Seeing the separate thread drifting towards trains reminded me of this.
It's very nice, but rather pricy. Wonder how much it would cost to build
one?

https://callingallstations.co.uk/201...epartureboard/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 20 July 2017 12:04:57 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
Seeing the separate thread drifting towards trains reminded me of this.
It's very nice, but rather pricy. Wonder how much it would cost to build
one?
https://callingallstations.co.uk/201...epartureboard/

£260 for a 3-line matrix display isn't actually too bad, you can probably get a no-brand one from China for less.

Then a Rasp Pi to take the data from the National Rail feed, reformat it and pump it out the serial port.

If you want the information, rather than an actual LED dot matrix display,
https://live-departures.info/rail/ci...ype=dep&info=2

Or use a local stylesheet and a matrix font on a large screen?

There is also
http://raildar.co.uk/map/STG
if you want a train movements map

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 20 July 2017 14:09:29 UTC+1, wrote:
On Thursday, 20 July 2017 12:04:57 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
Seeing the separate thread drifting towards trains reminded me of this.
It's very nice, but rather pricy. Wonder how much it would cost to build
one?
https://callingallstations.co.uk/201...epartureboard/

£260 for a 3-line matrix display isn't actually too bad, you can probably get a no-brand one from China for less.

Then a Rasp Pi to take the data from the National Rail feed, reformat it and pump it out the serial port.

If you want the information, rather than an actual LED dot matrix display,
https://live-departures.info/rail/ci...ype=dep&info=2

Or use a local stylesheet and a matrix font on a large screen?

There is also
http://raildar.co.uk/map/STG
if you want a train movements map

Owain

I;m sure you can get apps to do this. The problem is getting it to display on a dedecated LED display screen.
We did use them here and have a similar thing for lab-timetables using a pi and a 12 inch monitor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 06:09:26 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

On Thursday, 20 July 2017 12:04:57 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
Seeing the separate thread drifting towards trains reminded me of this.
It's very nice, but rather pricy. Wonder how much it would cost to
build one?
https://callingallstations.co.uk/201...epartureboard/

£260 for a 3-line matrix display isn't actually too bad, you can
probably get a no-brand one from China for less.

Then a Rasp Pi to take the data from the National Rail feed, reformat it
and pump it out the serial port.

That's the way I would do it, although possibly not via the serial port.
And one would have to add wireless.

If you want the information, rather than an actual LED dot matrix
display, https://live-departures.info/rail/ci...ype=dep&info=2

Oh, I use that. It would be cool to have that in the hall, though.

Or use a local stylesheet and a matrix font on a large screen?

Not quite the same though.

There is also http://raildar.co.uk/map/STG if you want a train movements
map

Ooh! Hadn't seen that before. Thanks.

(I play with the aircraft and shipping stuff)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager has brought this to us :
There is also http://raildar.co.uk/map/STG if you want a train movements
map

Ooh! Hadn't seen that before. Thanks.

Nor I, good innit?

Arriva also to a tracking / map system for the buses.

Then there's the aircraft tracking system and the ship tracking system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 19:35:53 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Bob Eager has brought this to us :
There is also http://raildar.co.uk/map/STG if you want a train
movements map

Ooh! Hadn't seen that before. Thanks.

Nor I, good innit?

Arriva also to a tracking / map system for the buses.

Then there's the aircraft tracking system and the ship tracking system.

I did mention those in my reply, but not the URLs. Might as well...

http://www.flightradar24.com/

http://www.marinetraffic.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 20 July 2017 16:00:49 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
If you want the information, rather than an actual LED dot matrix
display, https://live-departures.info/rail/ci...ype=dep&info=2

Oh, I use that. It would be cool to have that in the hall, though.

I have an external VGA output from the laptop that can be used for that sort of purpose whilst leaving the normal desktop unaffected.

Also
http://nextbuses.mobi/
is reasonable for bus-stops, although there is no easy way of amalgamating different stances within one location (I use a locally hosted frameset which loads two pages for bus stops on opposite sides of the road)

Mr Railalefan used to have departure boards that even spoke the announcements, but it's behind a password now.

Owain

Our Trouble With Trains jon_banquer[_2_] Metalworking 0 May 18th 15 04:53 PM
More incompetence All trains halted in south Wales by power failure. alexander.keys1[_3_] UK diy 3 March 22nd 11 11:03 PM
Road trains [email protected] Metalworking 12 March 18th 10 08:48 AM
Trains Martin H. Eastburn Metalworking 0 October 12th 08 01:58 AM
Flight of the Phoenix redux Boris Beizer Metalworking 29 December 28th 04 08:59 AM