Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Road trains

G'day,

I posted a few photos of cattle road trains in the
Northern Territory to the drop box (thanks Jeff). I think I did it ok
but first time I have posted photos.

Long time lurker.

Regards.

Mac
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
G'day,

I posted a few photos of cattle road trains in the
Northern Territory to the drop box (thanks Jeff). I think I did it ok
but first time I have posted photos.

Long time lurker.

Regards.

Mac

Just one improvement:

Can you post a link to the explanatory txt file, and to the pix themselves?

Save us the inconvenience of searching for them...

--
Jeff R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
G'day,

I posted a few photos of cattle road trains in the
Northern Territory to the drop box (thanks Jeff). I think I did it ok
but first time I have posted photos.

Long time lurker.

Regards.

Mac

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/RoadTrains.txt

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/RoadTrains1.jpg

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/RoadTrains2.jpg

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/RoadTrains3.jpg

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/RoadTrains4.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
G'day,

I posted a few photos of cattle road trains in the
Northern Territory to the drop box (thanks Jeff). I think I did it ok
but first time I have posted photos.

Long time lurker.

Regards.

Mac

truck just leave as its loaded? I don't see an advantage to everyone driving
so close together. All but the front truck has a terrible view and eats
dust. If you aren't the lead dog, the view never changes

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nice pix! From a plane, I presume?

In pix 1 & 3 (on the road) - are they moving? If so, how fast (they are
really close together)? Also if so, how come no dust is coming up -
those roads don't look paved.

How's their safety record? An accident is probably spectacular.

Bob

BTW - you could make great panoramas with stitching software. I've used
the free Microsoft research version:
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/...roups/ivm/ICE/
VERY impressive
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 07:42:50 -0600, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
G'day,

I posted a few photos of cattle road trains in the
Northern Territory to the drop box (thanks Jeff). I think I did it ok
but first time I have posted photos.

Long time lurker.

Regards.

Mac

truck just leave as its loaded? I don't see an advantage to everyone driving
so close together. All but the front truck has a terrible view and eats
dust. If you aren't the lead dog, the view never changes

And if you're going to tow three trailers, you might as well put some
weight on them...
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...s/C5Logger.jpg

The first few times you see one of those coming at you at 45mph on the
private dirt logging roads in northern Maine some serious puckering is
guaranteed.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Nice pix! From a plane, I presume?

In pix 1 & 3 (on the road) - are they moving? If so, how fast (they are
really close together)? Also if so, how come no dust is coming up -
those roads don't look paved.

How's their safety record? An accident is probably spectacular.

Bob

I was going to ask that also. "Been there saw that" and I
was going to ask why they are all standing still. :-)
(absolutely no dust storm rising) :-)
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 8, 8:42*am, "Karl Townsend"
truck just leave as its loaded? I don't see an advantage to everyone driving
so close together.

Reduced aerodynamic drag.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Fishel" wrote in message
On Mar 8, 8:42 am, "Karl Townsend"
truck just leave as its loaded? I don't see an advantage to everyone
driving
so close together.

Reduced aerodynamic drag.

REply:
Lots of those road trains are a couple miles long and one big tractor
pulling. Not a lot of trucks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Has the rail link reduced the number of such on the Stuart
Highway?

No, not to any noticeable amount. The rail line operator is on the brink of
bankruptcy (might be in receivership) due to lack of trade - which did n't
take a rocket scientist to foresee but politicians and bureaucrats just had
our money to burn.