Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mechanical timers for electric power?

I'm looking for the sort of thing I have on a worktop oven, knob which
you rotate to turn the power on and it winds down on clockwork, giving
you a maximum of 1 hour power. Ideally capable of switching 13A, but it
would be easy enough to add a relay.

For reasons I won't bore you with, I'd rather not have anything electronic.

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 11 July 2017 18:08:03 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
I'm looking for the sort of thing I have on a worktop oven, knob which
you rotate to turn the power on and it winds down on clockwork, giving
you a maximum of 1 hour power. Ideally capable of switching 13A, but it
would be easy enough to add a relay.

For reasons I won't bore you with, I'd rather not have anything electronic.

TIA

you need a dead microwave.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound has brought this to us :
I'm looking for the sort of thing I have on a worktop oven, knob which you
rotate to turn the power on and it winds down on clockwork, giving you a
maximum of 1 hour power. Ideally capable of switching 13A, but it would be
easy enough to add a relay.

For reasons I won't bore you with, I'd rather not have anything electronic.

TIA

Bull Electrical always used to be good for these types of unusual
things..
http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/tutoria....uk/shops.html

Their web site seems not to be well maintained now, numerous broken
links.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 11/07/2017 18:27, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
newshound has brought this to us :
I'm looking for the sort of thing I have on a worktop oven, knob which
you rotate to turn the power on and it winds down on clockwork, giving
you a maximum of 1 hour power. Ideally capable of switching 13A, but
it would be easy enough to add a relay.

For reasons I won't bore you with, I'd rather not have anything
electronic.

TIA

Bull Electrical always used to be good for these types of unusual
things..
http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/tutoria....uk/shops.html

Their web site seems not to be well maintained now, numerous broken links.

Is this what you want, BUT made in HongKong and 2 pin.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC220V-50H... RL4v7enlZbhtQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 11/07/2017 18:43, ss wrote:
On 11/07/2017 18:27, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
newshound has brought this to us :
I'm looking for the sort of thing I have on a worktop oven, knob which
you rotate to turn the power on and it winds down on clockwork, giving
you a maximum of 1 hour power. Ideally capable of switching 13A, but
it would be easy enough to add a relay.

For reasons I won't bore you with, I'd rather not have anything
electronic.

TIA

Bull Electrical always used to be good for these types of unusual
things..
http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/tutoria....uk/shops.html

Their web site seems not to be well maintained now, numerous broken
links.

Is this what you want, BUT made in HongKong and 2 pin.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC220V-50H... RL4v7enlZbhtQ

Or this from B&Q................

http://www.diy.com/departments/diall...FUWhUQodkKMPOg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 18:07:59 +0100, newshound
wrote:

I'm looking for the sort of thing I have on a worktop oven, knob which
you rotate to turn the power on and it winds down on clockwork, giving
you a maximum of 1 hour power. Ideally capable of switching 13A, but it
would be easy enough to add a relay.

For reasons I won't bore you with, I'd rather not have anything electronic.

TIA

Sounds like something they had in billiard halls for the lights.

I wonder if those pneumatic light switches used in the common areas of
flats can be adjusted or modified for 1 hour delay.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 11 July 2017 18:08:03 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
I'm looking for the sort of thing I have on a worktop oven, knob which
you rotate to turn the power on and it winds down on clockwork, giving
you a maximum of 1 hour power.

That exact thing is avaavailable from catering equiequipment spares suppliers eg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131217553068

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
I'm looking for the sort of thing I have on a worktop oven, knob which you
rotate to turn the power on and it winds down on clockwork, giving you a
maximum of 1 hour power. Ideally capable of switching 13A, but it would be
easy enough to add a relay.

For reasons I won't bore you with, I'd rather not have anything
electronic.

TIA

dificult.... I managed to get a few mechanical ones at car boot sales but
not retail....homebase did an electronic version which are ok ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 11 July 2017 18:08:03 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
I'm looking for the sort of thing I have on a worktop oven, knob which
you rotate to turn the power on and it winds down on clockwork, giving
you a maximum of 1 hour power.

That exact thing is avaavailable from catering equiequipment spares
suppliers eg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131217553068

Pity about the price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 11 July 2017 18:27:06 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
newshound has brought this to us :

Bull Electrical always used to be good for these types of unusual
things..
http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/tutoria....uk/shops.html

Their web site seems not to be well maintained now, numerous broken
links.

A total of 5 products listed. Everything else is broken or 3rd party links. They used to be useful decades ago, though hardly respectable.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
On 11/07/2017 18:27, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
newshound has brought this to us :
I'm looking for the sort of thing I have on a worktop oven, knob which
you rotate to turn the power on and it winds down on clockwork, giving
you a maximum of 1 hour power. Ideally capable of switching 13A, but
it would be easy enough to add a relay.

For reasons I won't bore you with, I'd rather not have anything
electronic.

TIA

Bull Electrical always used to be good for these types of unusual
things..
http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/tutoria....uk/shops.html

Their web site seems not to be well maintained now, numerous broken
links.

Is this what you want, BUT made in HongKong and 2 pin.

And AU plug.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC220V-50H... RL4v7enlZbhtQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/11/2017 6:47 PM, ss wrote:
On 11/07/2017 18:43, ss wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I really wanted something to be permanently wired in. Obviously,
I could canibalise the Chinese one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/11/2017 6:48 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, 11 July 2017 18:08:03 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
I'm looking for the sort of thing I have on a worktop oven, knob which
you rotate to turn the power on and it winds down on clockwork, giving
you a maximum of 1 hour power.

That exact thing is avaavailable from catering equiequipment spares suppliers eg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131217553068

Owain

Thanks, link noted for future reference. Bit expensive though given that
my little oven was only about £40. And it doesn't even come with a knob!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/11/2017 7:11 PM, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well maybe a bomber is reading this...
Brian

Hadn't thought of that!

ISTR a good example of lateral thinking from the 1970's when the IRA
were using RS mercury tilt switches in car bombs like the one that got
Airey Neave. So someone went and had a quiet word with RS sales and they
passed copies of new orders to MI5, leading to the arrest of a bomb-maker.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/11/2017 6:12 PM, Tim+ wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
I'm looking for the sort of thing I have on a worktop oven, knob which
you rotate to turn the power on and it winds down on clockwork, giving
you a maximum of 1 hour power. Ideally capable of switching 13A, but it
would be easy enough to add a relay.

For reasons I won't bore you with, I'd rather not have anything electronic.

TIA

I was gonna say, just cannibalise an old microwave but then it
occured to me that most microwaves aren't as old as ours. ;-)

Tumble dryer timer?

Tim

Very good point, forgotten about them. Might even have one in my huge
box of "things which might come in useful one day". I certainly recycled
a washing machine pressure switch from there into a Saniflo a few years ago.

In fact here is one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-WH...0AAOSw~bFWQK4F

I can always get down from 140 minutes to 60 by adding a cam.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

a good example of lateral thinking from the 1970's when the IRA
were using RS mercury tilt switches in car bombs like the one that got
Airey Neave. So someone went and had a quiet word with RS sales and they
passed copies of new orders to MI5, leading to the arrest of a bomb-maker.

I think they were somewhat worried by the arrival of the ZN1034 timer chip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 18:47:51 +0100, Graham. wrote:

I wonder if those pneumatic light switches used in the common areas of
flats can be adjusted or modified for 1 hour delay.

They can be adjusted but at the longer end of the delay time are very
sensitive to the adjustment screw. ie it'll change when fixed back to
the wall box...

Can you get motor driven 1 hour plug in timers? They are normally
24hr. Grab the guts of one of those and rewire the motor to the
switched side. Turn it so it switches on, it'll run until it switches
off.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ss
writes
On 11/07/2017 18:43, ss wrote:
On 11/07/2017 18:27, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
newshound has brought this to us :
I'm looking for the sort of thing I have on a worktop oven, knob which
you rotate to turn the power on and it winds down on clockwork, giving
you a maximum of 1 hour power. Ideally capable of switching 13A, but
it would be easy enough to add a relay.

For reasons I won't bore you with, I'd rather not have anything
electronic.

TIA

Bull Electrical always used to be good for these types of unusual
things..
http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/tutoria....uk/shops.html

Their web site seems not to be well maintained now, numerous broken
links.

Is this what you want, BUT made in HongKong and 2 pin.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC220V-50H...chanical-Timer
-Switch-Countdown-Control-Socket-DY-/282387633103?var=&hash=item41bf9d5
3cf:m:mEyh0vu9y6RL4v7enlZbhtQ

Or this from B&Q................

http://www.diy.com/departments/diall...er/800766_BQ.p
rd?ecamp=Seapla&ppc_type=shopping&ds_kids=9270002 0189866510&gclid=EAIaIQ
obChMI7bDno-SB1QIV67DtCh24kANlEAQYAiABEgIpD_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds .ds&dclid=
CKK5xarkgdUCFUWhUQodkKMPOg

Well their 24hr mechanical timers are ****e.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/17 18:07, newshound wrote:
I'm looking for the sort of thing I have on a worktop oven, knob which
you rotate to turn the power on and it winds down on clockwork, giving
you a maximum of 1 hour power. Ideally capable of switching 13A, but it
would be easy enough to add a relay.

For reasons I won't bore you with, I'd rather not have anything electronic.

TIA

see if you can blag a skipped microwave.

FWIW you can buy a switch like that with a (rather poor) microwave
attached from tescos for £35 IIRC

https://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-s...e/204-8921.prd

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/17 18:48, wrote:
On Tuesday, 11 July 2017 18:08:03 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
I'm looking for the sort of thing I have on a worktop oven, knob which
you rotate to turn the power on and it winds down on clockwork, giving
you a maximum of 1 hour power.

That exact thing is avaavailable from catering equiequipment spares suppliers eg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131217553068

Owain

Vheaper to pop down to tescos and buy their microwave

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 11 July 2017 20:38:59 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
Very good point, forgotten about them. Might even have one in my huge
box of "things which might come in useful one day". I certainly recycled
a washing machine pressure switch from there into a Saniflo a few years ago.

Why, have you added a "curry" setting to the saniflo???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39176358

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 11/07/17 18:48, wrote:
On Tuesday, 11 July 2017 18:08:03 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
I'm looking for the sort of thing I have on a worktop oven, knob which
you rotate to turn the power on and it winds down on clockwork, giving
you a maximum of 1 hour power.

That exact thing is avaavailable from catering equiequipment spares suppliers eg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131217553068

Owain

Vheaper to pop down to tescos and buy their microwave

NSS
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/17 18:07, newshound wrote:
I'm looking for the sort of thing I have on a worktop oven, knob which
you rotate to turn the power on and it winds down on clockwork, giving
you a maximum of 1 hour power. Ideally capable of switching 13A, but it
would be easy enough to add a relay.

For reasons I won't bore you with, I'd rather not have anything electronic.

TIA

Timer Relay, 0 †’ 120 min, DPDT, 250 V ac - £20
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/time-d...elays/5362779/

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/12/2017 11:33 PM, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 11/07/17 18:07, newshound wrote:
I'm looking for the sort of thing I have on a worktop oven, knob which
you rotate to turn the power on and it winds down on clockwork, giving
you a maximum of 1 hour power. Ideally capable of switching 13A, but
it would be easy enough to add a relay.

For reasons I won't bore you with, I'd rather not have anything
electronic.

TIA

Timer Relay, 0 †’ 120 min, DPDT, 250 V ac - £20
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/time-d...elays/5362779/

Well spotted, thanks! I didn't think to look in there!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
I wonder if those pneumatic light switches used in the common areas of
flats can be adjusted or modified for 1 hour delay.

There are these which are pneumatic and factory-set, apparently go up to 90
mins:
http://www.green-plug.co.uk/

They work OK. Though I'd say their advantages are more in the sense of
having a plug that's reasonably obvious to use and can't be trivially
defeated by the user, rather than the superiority of pneumatics over
electronics.

(the site has a certain degree of greenwash too)

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:
Graham. wrote:
I wonder if those pneumatic light switches used in the common areas of
flats can be adjusted or modified for 1 hour delay.

There are these which are pneumatic and factory-set, apparently go up to 90
mins:
http://www.green-plug.co.uk/

They work OK. Though I'd say their advantages are more in the sense of
having a plug that's reasonably obvious to use and can't be trivially
defeated by the user, rather than the superiority of pneumatics over
electronics.

(the site has a certain degree of greenwash too)

Theo

RS do a run down mechanical 2 hour timer Can be set for shorter time
periods. I use one for a bathroom fan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/13/2017 9:42 PM, Capitol wrote:
Theo wrote:
Graham. wrote:
I wonder if those pneumatic light switches used in the common areas of
flats can be adjusted or modified for 1 hour delay.

There are these which are pneumatic and factory-set, apparently go up
to 90
mins:
http://www.green-plug.co.uk/

They work OK. Though I'd say their advantages are more in the sense of
having a plug that's reasonably obvious to use and can't be trivially
defeated by the user, rather than the superiority of pneumatics over
electronics.

(the site has a certain degree of greenwash too)

Theo

RS do a run down mechanical 2 hour timer Can be set for shorter
time periods. I use one for a bathroom fan.

Yes thanks, someone else pointed that one out. It wasn't at all obvious
that it could be set for shorter periods, that will make it ideal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Capitol
writes
Theo wrote:
Graham. wrote:
I wonder if those pneumatic light switches used in the common areas of
flats can be adjusted or modified for 1 hour delay.

There are these which are pneumatic and factory-set, apparently go up to 90
mins:
http://www.green-plug.co.uk/

They work OK. Though I'd say their advantages are more in the sense of
having a plug that's reasonably obvious to use and can't be trivially
defeated by the user, rather than the superiority of pneumatics over
electronics.

(the site has a certain degree of greenwash too)

Theo

RS do a run down mechanical 2 hour timer Can be set for shorter
time periods. I use one for a bathroom fan.

Anyone got one which will automatically cut off the wife's phone calls
after 59 minutes?
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Or an old tumble dryer, mine has a month minute mechanical timer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/13/2017 10:21 PM, bert wrote:
In article , Capitol
writes
Theo wrote:
Graham. wrote:
I wonder if those pneumatic light switches used in the common areas of
flats can be adjusted or modified for 1 hour delay.

There are these which are pneumatic and factory-set, apparently go up
to 90
mins:
http://www.green-plug.co.uk/

They work OK. Though I'd say their advantages are more in the sense of
having a plug that's reasonably obvious to use and can't be trivially
defeated by the user, rather than the superiority of pneumatics over
electronics.

(the site has a certain degree of greenwash too)

Theo

RS do a run down mechanical 2 hour timer Can be set for shorter
time periods. I use one for a bathroom fan.

Anyone got one which will automatically cut off the wife's phone calls
after 59 minutes?

Our phone bills went down when she discovered FB messenger. And,
amazingly, she doesn't get through 1000 texts a month.

Timers for electric range top burners ??? Robert[_18_] Home Repair 26 May 29th 21 05:15 PM
Are electric WH timers worth it Jordan[_2_] Home Repair 61 August 10th 08 03:00 PM
I want to know how combi boiler clocks/timers work... Dan Gravell UK diy 18 October 15th 04 11:44 AM
Plug-in timers. jerrybuilt UK diy 2 September 8th 03 09:00 PM
FA:: neat power supply and more timers James E. Baldock Metalworking 1 July 11th 03 05:19 PM