jerrybuilt

Default Plug-in timers.

I bought 3 plug-in timers from Wickes.

On the outside of the packaging it says "suitable for a 3KW
resistive load".

On the inside (ha ha!), it says:

"Must not be used for fan heaters" - that I can see the
point of, in case the cat tips the heater or whatever up.

It also says:

"Should not be used for immersion heaters" - Why is this?
I bought the things with a view to using one for an immersion
heater! What problem might this cause? This is a big PITA.

These timers are also not suitable for washing machines -
presumably because of the inductive load.

Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

ARWadsworth

I bought 3 plug-in timers from Wickes.

On the outside of the packaging it says "suitable for a 3KW
resistive load".

On the inside (ha ha!), it says:

"Should not be used for immersion heaters" - Why is this?
I bought the things with a view to using one for an immersion
heater! What problem might this cause? This is a big PITA.

Because the immersion is a fixed appliance and should not be on a plug. You
can buy timer units for immersions but they are not of the plug in variety

These timers are also not suitable for washing machines -
presumably because of the inductive load.

We used a cheapo plug-in timer with a washing machine before when we

wanted
to make the most of Economy 7. No problems experienced when we did.

I would not expect any problems running a washing machine from a 3KW timer.
I am sure you could run an immersion from these timers without a problem ,
it just does not meet the required regs.

Adam

Woodspoiler

Yonks ago I bought a timer for an immersion. You had to wire the
immersion into the timer (like a CH timer), not plug it in.

I also ran some convector heaters from the equivalent plug-in
model (so old now it isn't worth mentioning ther brands). There
was a problem. Even though the heater load was within the timer's
stated load, the live pin on the plug used to get very warm. Not
enough to burn, but eventually th heat yellowed & distorted the
plastic in both the plug and the timer.

Maybe it's something like that.

W.

Drilling holes John Edgar UK diy 5 September 8th 03 04:47 PM
Replace Dyson Plug Ade Smith UK diy 2 July 4th 03 05:23 PM