Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default water jet question

would a standard water jet be able to engrave designs and then cut out a series of shapes from a sheet of brass?
After googling nearly all the shapes are just cut outs.
Perhaps my question is can a water jet do a 0.3 mm cut in some areas, then cut through the brass sheet to give different parts?
I am thinking of making some figures, but a silhouette will not be enough, some detail would be needed.
thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

misterroy wrote:

would a standard water jet be able to

What do you consider a "standard" water jet? They're not exactly common
household items.

https://www.wazer.com/pages/home/#buy-wazer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 11:18:22 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
misterroy wrote:

would a standard water jet be able to

What do you consider a "standard" water jet? They're not exactly common
household items.

https://www.wazer.com/pages/home/#buy-wazer

there is a water jet cutter about 13 miles from me, so whilst not household, they are quite common.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

misterroy wrote:

there is a water jet cutter about 13 miles from me, so whilst not household,
they are quite common.

it is industrial

They can easily do cutting of sheet metal (it's not really the water
that does the cutting, it's abrasive powder carried by the water) but
not convinced they can do engraving ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
They can easily do cutting of sheet metal (it's not really the water
that does the cutting, it's abrasive powder carried by the water) but
not convinced they can do engraving ...

How thick is the brass? It would seem more suited to a CNC router.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

misterroy wrote:

would a standard water jet be able to

What do you consider a "standard" water jet? They're not exactly common
household items.

https://www.wazer.com/pages/home/#buy-wazer

there is a water jet cutter about 13 miles from me, so whilst not household, they are quite common.

Ask them then?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/07/17 23:12, misterroy wrote:
would a standard water jet be able to engrave designs and then cut out a series of shapes from a sheet of brass?
After googling nearly all the shapes are just cut outs.
Perhaps my question is can a water jet do a 0.3 mm cut in some areas, then cut through the brass sheet to give different parts?
I am thinking of making some figures, but a silhouette will not be enough, some detail would be needed.
thanks

I have no experience of water jets, but lasers can be turned up and down
in power and head speed to do either engraving or cutting

Howver what you describe may be better suited to a CNC milling/routing
machine.

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/07/17 23:12, misterroy wrote:
would a standard water jet be able to engrave designs and then cut out
a series of shapes from a sheet of brass?

How thick is the brass?

After googling nearly all the shapes are just cut outs.
Perhaps my question is can a water jet do a 0.3 mm cut in some areas,
then cut through the brass sheet to give different parts?
I am thinking of making some figures, but a silhouette will not be
enough, some detail would be needed.
thanks

I have no experience of water jets, but lasers can be turned up and down
in power and head speed to do either engraving or cutting

Lasers don't like cutting mirror finish materials but there must be some
easy way around that since there are so many stainless steel garden
mobiles about that have been laser cut.

Local hack space might be worth a look - they tend to have modest power
CNC laser cutters and run sessions on how to use them starting with card
or plastic and working upwards in power levels.

Howver what you describe may be better suited to a CNC milling/routing
machine.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05-Jul-17 11:12 PM, misterroy wrote:
would a standard water jet be able to engrave designs and then cut out a series of shapes from a sheet of brass?
After googling nearly all the shapes are just cut outs.
Perhaps my question is can a water jet do a 0.3 mm cut in some areas, then cut through the brass sheet to give different parts?
I am thinking of making some figures, but a silhouette will not be enough, some detail would be needed.
thanks

You might also look at fibre optic lasers. They can do both cutting and
engraving on brass.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds pretty lethal to me, and a bit wet.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
misterroy wrote:

would a standard water jet be able to

What do you consider a "standard" water jet? They're not exactly common
household items.

https://www.wazer.com/pages/home/#buy-wazer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, July 6, 2017 at 12:38:15 AM UTC+1, Theo wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
They can easily do cutting of sheet metal (it's not really the water
that does the cutting, it's abrasive powder carried by the water) but
not convinced they can do engraving ...

How thick is the brass? It would seem more suited to a CNC router.

Theo

Dont know yet, 1-2mm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2017 09:29, Brian Gaff wrote:

Do you have to use special water, ie with low surface tension or super pure?
Brian

With fine grit in it I think. Electrospark cutting is another option.

This lot look like they might be worth a punt for lasercut brass.

http://www.daysteel.co.uk/laser-cutt...-brass-bronze/
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

misterroy wrote:
On Thursday, July 6, 2017 at 12:38:15 AM UTC+1, Theo wrote:
How thick is the brass? It would seem more suited to a CNC router.

Dont know yet, 1-2mm

I've done it with a CNC mill on that kind of thickness of aluminium, which
is similar hardness, so I think it should be doable.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, July 6, 2017 at 9:50:07 AM UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 06/07/2017 09:29, Brian Gaff wrote:

Do you have to use special water, ie with low surface tension or super pure?
Brian

With fine grit in it I think. Electrospark cutting is another option.

This lot look like they might be worth a punt for lasercut brass.

http://www.daysteel.co.uk/laser-cutt...-brass-bronze/
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

that is a good informative website, examples of the work too. I will get some artwork together and get a quote. thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Jul 2017 15:12:48 -0700, misterroy wrote:

would a standard water jet be able to engrave designs and then cut out a
series of shapes from a sheet of brass?
After googling nearly all the shapes are just cut outs.
Perhaps my question is can a water jet do a 0.3 mm cut in some areas,
then cut through the brass sheet to give different parts?
I am thinking of making some figures, but a silhouette will not be
enough, some detail would be needed.
thanks

I don't think water jets can be used for engraving at all. At least, not
with any accuracy. Lasers are the way to go for that, although the
engraving depth isn't all that much.

I've been told that water jet cutters are used for precision cutting of
titanium sheet, as it's nasty stuff to cut when you want fiddly bits.
Those cutters are definitely not nice little DIY projects though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mick wrote:

I don't think water jets can be used for engraving at all. At least, not
with any accuracy. Lasers are the way to go for that

Yes, I looked at a site that offered cutting and engraving services,
they seemed to use water jets for the former and lasers for the latter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 15:12:48 -0700 (PDT), misterroy
wrote:

would a standard water jet be able to engrave designs and then cut out a series of shapes from a sheet of brass?
After googling nearly all the shapes are just cut outs.
Perhaps my question is can a water jet do a 0.3 mm cut in some areas, then cut through the brass sheet to give different parts?
I am thinking of making some figures, but a silhouette will not be enough, some detail would be needed.
thanks

Water jet technology can certainly engrave, see

http://www.thefabricator.com/article...asive-waterjet

No idea if every water jet machine can do it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote:

Water jet technology can certainly engrave, see
http://www.thefabricator.com/article...asive-waterjet

Seems a bit fraught, move the material faster than the jet can actually
cut through it ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2017 15:15, Andy Burns wrote:
Peter Parry wrote:

Water jet technology can certainly engrave, see
http://www.thefabricator.com/article...asive-waterjet

Seems a bit fraught, move the material faster than the jet can actually
cut through it ...

You can probably DIY one..

There is a youtube video of someone making one from a pressure washer
but it was used more like a fret saw.

You would need to add driven X/Y axes to get positioning.

Then control the depth of cut by controlling the amount of abrasive you
dropped into the jet.
You could probably do that with some sort of screw driven by a stepper.

I would think you could modify the open source software for a 3d printer
to work using the filament feed for the abrasive.

No, I don't intend to try it myself.
I have other interests than engraving brass.

I might try a laser cutter though if I can convince the other half that
I need a new toy.