Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best way of removing rust from tools?

Water has got into one of my tool boxes, these are mainly "heavy" tools
E.G. Masonry chisels, large drill bits and plaster towels. It was only
wet for week or so therefore the rust is fairly light. Any ideas most
welcomed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
Water has got into one of my tool boxes, these are mainly "heavy" tools
E.G. Masonry chisels, large drill bits and plaster towels. It was only
wet for week or so therefore the rust is fairly light. Any ideas most
welcomed.

Electrolysis is best (google for it) as it only takes the rust off and
not the steel.
Or simpler but corrosive to the steel is citric acid or vinegar.

A comparison here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqN5zY_T2Kc

He uses high current but the electrolysis will work OK with the typical
current from a (non smart) car battery charger. Smart ones will only
switch on when a battery is connected!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2017 11:18, Broadback wrote:

Water has got into one of my tool boxes, these are mainly "heavy" tools
E.G. Masonry chisels, large drill bits and plaster towels. It was only
wet for week or so therefore the rust is fairly light. Any ideas most
welcomed.

Quick and dirty. Spray with WD40 and rub dry with a rough cloth.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2017 11:18, Broadback wrote:
Water has got into one of my tool boxes, these are mainly "heavy" tools
E.G. Masonry chisels, large drill bits and plaster towels. It was only
wet for week or so therefore the rust is fairly light. Any ideas most
welcomed.

Molasses works well if you don't need the tools in a hurry. Plenty of
info on the web.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/23/2017 11:43 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
On 23/06/2017 11:18, Broadback wrote:

Water has got into one of my tool boxes, these are mainly "heavy"
tools E.G. Masonry chisels, large drill bits and plaster towels. It
was only wet for week or so therefore the rust is fairly light. Any
ideas most welcomed.

Quick and dirty. Spray with WD40 and rub dry with a rough cloth.

Just had the same problem, but with old spanners.

Gave them a quick wire brush to remove surplus. Soaked them in oil for a
few days. Let them drain on a bit of old towelling, then rub dry.

Sprayed the inside of the metal toolbox with WD40.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 12:11:39 +0100, newshound wrote:

On 6/23/2017 11:43 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
On 23/06/2017 11:18, Broadback wrote:

Water has got into one of my tool boxes, these are mainly "heavy"
tools E.G. Masonry chisels, large drill bits and plaster towels. It
was only wet for week or so therefore the rust is fairly light. Any
ideas most welcomed.

Quick and dirty. Spray with WD40 and rub dry with a rough cloth.

Just had the same problem, but with old spanners.

Gave them a quick wire brush to remove surplus. Soaked them in oil for a
few days. Let them drain on a bit of old towelling, then rub dry.

Sprayed the inside of the metal toolbox with WD40.

The one I'd go for though perhaps a bit of emery paper or wire wool as
well to get into any nooks and crannies esp. on the drill bits.

Plaster trowels may not like oil though (or rather the plaster may not)
so they may be better just being rubbed clean.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 June 2017 11:18:36 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
Water has got into one of my tool boxes, these are mainly "heavy" tools
E.G. Masonry chisels, large drill bits and plaster towels. It was only
wet for week or so therefore the rust is fairly light. Any ideas most
welcomed.

Youtube has many answers to that.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Minchin wrote:
Broadback wrote:
Water has got into one of my tool boxes, these are mainly "heavy" tools
E.G. Masonry chisels, large drill bits and plaster towels. It was only
wet for week or so therefore the rust is fairly light. Any ideas most
welcomed.

Electrolysis is best (google for it) as it only takes the rust off and
not the steel.

Not sure a pitted trowel or float is going to be that useful?

Or simpler but corrosive to the steel is citric acid or vinegar.

A comparison here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqN5zY_T2Kc

He uses high current but the electrolysis will work OK with the typical
current from a (non smart) car battery charger. Smart ones will only
switch on when a battery is connected!

--
*By the time a man is wise enough to watch his step, he's too old to go anywhere.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 11:18:33 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

Water has got into one of my tool boxes, these are mainly "heavy" tools
E.G. Masonry chisels, large drill bits and plaster towels. It was only
wet for week or so therefore the rust is fairly light. Any ideas most
welcomed.

Evaporust

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors...moval-solution

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vinegar certainly works on scissors but they needed sharpening afterwards.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
news
Broadback wrote:
Water has got into one of my tool boxes, these are mainly "heavy" tools
E.G. Masonry chisels, large drill bits and plaster towels. It was only
wet for week or so therefore the rust is fairly light. Any ideas most
welcomed.

Electrolysis is best (google for it) as it only takes the rust off and not
the steel.
Or simpler but corrosive to the steel is citric acid or vinegar.

A comparison here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqN5zY_T2Kc

He uses high current but the electrolysis will work OK with the typical
current from a (non smart) car battery charger. Smart ones will only
switch on when a battery is connected!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
news
Water has got into one of my tool boxes, these are mainly "heavy" tools E.G. Masonry
chisels, large drill bits and plaster towels. It was only wet for week or so therefore
the rust is fairly light. Any ideas most welcomed.

With the chisels and drill bits, 3 in 1 or similar oil, on coarse wire wool.
Same with the faces of the trowels only finer grade wire wool.

As its only a week's worth of rust IMO this should work fine.
IME Its only when you get deeper pitted rust that it can return on
previously pristine surfaces, which have become subject to
neglect for some reason.

I had this happen with a couple of heavy Maun straight
edges following a move. They subsequently needed regular
treatment with a regular rub over with a candle, unlike before.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Water has got into one of my tool boxes, these are mainly "heavy" tools
E.G. Masonry chisels, large drill bits and plaster towels. It was only
wet for week or so therefore the rust is fairly light. Any ideas most
welcomed.

http://remaponline.org.uk/remapedia/...ic-de-rusting/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/17 17:22, michael adams wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
news
Water has got into one of my tool boxes, these are mainly "heavy" tools E.G. Masonry
chisels, large drill bits and plaster towels. It was only wet for week or so therefore
the rust is fairly light. Any ideas most welcomed.

With the chisels and drill bits, 3 in 1 or similar oil, on coarse wire wool.
Same with the faces of the trowels only finer grade wire wool.

As above except with WD40, it worked for me when some tools got wet in a
damp shed.

A friend mentioned using vinegar on older tools he'd bought a boot fair,
followed by rinsing and WD40.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Water has got into one of my tool boxes, these are mainly "heavy" tools
E.G. Masonry chisels, large drill bits and plaster towels. It was only
wet for week or so therefore the rust is fairly light. Any ideas most
welcomed.

http://remaponline.org.uk/remapedia/...ic-de-rusting/

quote

When the item is removed it will be covered in a soft black layer.

This comes off quite easily with some wire wool or a steel scrubbing pad

/quote

So that instead of rubbing off the rust straightaway with your wire
wool and an "oil based substance" you wait between 6 hours and a couple
of days with the object in a bucket and then rub away at a "soft"
black layer. So "soft" in fact you will again need to get out the wire
wool again, or a steel scrubbing pad to get it off.

I see.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 11:40:18 +0100, Bob Minchin
wrote:

Broadback wrote:
Water has got into one of my tool boxes, these are mainly "heavy" tools
E.G. Masonry chisels, large drill bits and plaster towels. It was only
wet for week or so therefore the rust is fairly light. Any ideas most
welcomed.

Electrolysis is best (google for it) as it only takes the rust off and
not the steel.
Or simpler but corrosive to the steel is citric acid or vinegar.

A comparison here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqN5zY_T2Kc

He uses high current but the electrolysis will work OK with the typical
current from a (non smart) car battery charger. Smart ones will only
switch on when a battery is connected!

RTFM!! I've a load of rusty tools (long story) and finally got around
to giving this a go this afternoon on one of the older ones. Use a
laptop charger from a defunct Dell - 19v. Fascinating to watch the
hubble bubble toil and trouble brew but a disappointing result.

Just re-read the instructions, I'd got the poles the wrong way round!!

--
AnthonyL