Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blast from the past

Heathkit is launching their first new kit in 30 years:

"We have opened advance orders for our newest product, the HM-1002
HeathkitĀ® Precision RF Meter„¢, for our most loyal customers and fans.
This is the first amateur radio accessory and the first test equipment
kit Heathkit has produced in over 30 years.

We believe the HeathkitĀ® Precision RF Meter„¢ is a landmark achievement
in RF meters, in both technical features and price/performance. It is
most suitable for amateur radio operators and for customers who use RF
test equipment.

Its patent-pending design offers features not available in other
power/SWR meters: Transmit frequency display, ERP display, efficiency
measurement, many forms of peak power monitoring, smart alerting, both
SWR and Return Loss, user-selected units (e.g. watts or dBm),
autoranging for both power and frequency, QRP and QRO, superior
ergonomics, and more. It's about five times more accurate than our
previous power/SWR meters, at an affordable price and exceptional
quality. And it's a Heathkit"

https://shop.heathkit.com/shop/produ...2-pre-order-33

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

Heathkit is launching their first new kit in 30 years:

"We have opened advance orders for our newest product, the HM-1002
Heathkit® Precision RF Meter¨, for our most loyal customers and fans.
This is the first amateur radio accessory and the first test equipment
kit Heathkit has produced in over 30 years.

We believe the Heathkit® Precision RF Meter¨ is a landmark achievement
in RF meters, in both technical features and price/performance. It is
most suitable for amateur radio operators and for customers who use RF
test equipment.

Its patent-pending design offers features not available in other
power/SWR meters: Transmit frequency display, ERP display, efficiency
measurement, many forms of peak power monitoring, smart alerting, both
SWR and Return Loss, user-selected units (e.g. watts or dBm),
autoranging for both power and frequency, QRP and QRO, superior
ergonomics, and more. It's about five times more accurate than our
previous power/SWR meters, at an affordable price and exceptional
quality. And it's a Heathkit"

https://shop.heathkit.com/shop/produ...2-pre-order-33

Interesting. Still have their valve voltmeter lying around somewhere. Must
be getting on for 50 years old.

--
*TEAMWORK...means never having to take all the blame yourself *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

well the Heathkit six digit led digital clock I built in the mid 70's still
works albeit with the trademark flicker on one digit...like that from new

http://www.prc68.com/I/Images/HeathkitGC1005s.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 17:54:35 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

well the Heathkit six digit led digital clock I built in the mid 70's
still
works albeit with the trademark flicker on one digit...like that from new

http://www.prc68.com/I/Images/HeathkitGC1005s.jpg

+1 except that one entire two-digit Beckman display unit failed, so it
no longer displays seconds. But the rest of it has been going
continuously since it was built, as you say, mid 1970's.

Chris

yes quality items well built by us...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://shop.heathkit.com/shop/produ...ktm-gc-1006-26

**** that looks just like the old one!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2017 17:54, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
well the Heathkit six digit led digital clock I built in the mid 70's still
works albeit with the trademark flicker on one digit...like that from new

http://www.prc68.com/I/Images/HeathkitGC1005s.jpg

I don't believe the time it's showing, though...

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 21/06/2017 17:54, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
well the Heathkit six digit led digital clock I built in the mid 70's
still
works albeit with the trademark flicker on one digit...like that from new

http://www.prc68.com/I/Images/HeathkitGC1005s.jpg

I don't believe the time it's showing, though...

does that when it loses power...very annoying

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, I built a Mohican and a later short wave radio of theirs back many
moons ago. Very well made but the former had a design issue of a springy
front panel that made tuning a bit of a challenge and an internal speaker
that caused audio feedback to the tuning capacitor. The later short wave set
was better but the plastic front panel and its dial string assembly was
pretty rubbish and it fell to bits quite soon even in ordinary use.
So their electronics and assembly instructions are normally good but often
let down by the mechanics.

I had no idea anyone was still running the company. Back in my day it was
run by a company called Daystrom.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

Heathkit is launching their first new kit in 30 years:

"We have opened advance orders for our newest product, the HM-1002
Heathkit® Precision RF MeterT, for our most loyal customers and fans. This
is the first amateur radio accessory and the first test equipment kit
Heathkit has produced in over 30 years.

We believe the Heathkit® Precision RF MeterT is a landmark achievement in
RF meters, in both technical features and price/performance. It is most
suitable for amateur radio operators and for customers who use RF test
equipment.

Its patent-pending design offers features not available in other power/SWR
meters: Transmit frequency display, ERP display, efficiency measurement,
many forms of peak power monitoring, smart alerting, both SWR and Return
Loss, user-selected units (e.g. watts or dBm), autoranging for both power
and frequency, QRP and QRO, superior ergonomics, and more. It's about five
times more accurate than our previous power/SWR meters, at an affordable
price and exceptional quality. And it's a Heathkit"

https://shop.heathkit.com/shop/produ...2-pre-order-33

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Yes, I built a Mohican and a later short wave radio of theirs back many
moons ago. Very well made but the former had a design issue of a springy
front panel that made tuning a bit of a challenge and an internal speaker
that caused audio feedback to the tuning capacitor. The later short wave
set was better but the plastic front panel and its dial string assembly
was pretty rubbish and it fell to bits quite soon even in ordinary use.
So their electronics and assembly instructions are normally good but often
let down by the mechanics.

I had no idea anyone was still running the company. Back in my day it was
run by a company called Daystrom.
Brian

http://www.heathkit.nu/Heathkit_Glou...968-69_640.png

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg expressed precisely :
wrote:

well the Heathkit six digit led digital clock I built in the mid 70's still
works albeit with the trademark flicker on one digit...like that from new

http://www.prc68.com/I/Images/HeathkitGC1005s.jpg

+1 except that one entire two-digit Beckman display unit failed, so it
no longer displays seconds. But the rest of it has been going
continuously since it was built, as you say, mid 1970's.

I built one, which I threw away around 5 years ago and still working.
As I recall, I devised a little circuit which allowed it to keep time,
even when mains power was lost. Something involving a 32k watch
crystal, divided down to 50Hz all powered by a PP3.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 June 2017 17:05:28 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

ergonomics, and more. It's about five times more accurate than our
previous power/SWR meters, at an affordable price and exceptional
quality. And it's a Heathkit"

https://shop.heathkit.com/shop/produ...2-pre-order-33

Is this really what people want nowadays ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 22 June 2017 12:13:14 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
https://shop.heathkit.com/shop/produ...2-pre-order-33

Is this really what people want nowadays ?

Of course. And I bet lots of the people buying it don't have a ham transmitter, but the "Afro-Asian Padauk, hand-milled and rubbed with a special sealing finish" will colour co-ordinate with their bedside bottles of organic quinoa extract moisturising beard oil.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

well the Heathkit six digit led digital clock I built in the mid 70's
still works albeit with the trademark flicker on one digit...like that
from new ......

http://www.prc68.com/I/Images/HeathkitGC1005s.jpg

+1 except that one entire two-digit Beckman display unit failed, so it
no longer displays seconds. But the rest of it has been going
continuously since it was built, as you say, mid 1970's.

I built one, which I threw away around 5 years ago and still working. As I
recall, I devised a little circuit which allowed it to keep time, even
when mains power was lost. Something involving a 32k watch crystal,
divided down to 50Hz all powered by a PP3.

yes it counts the mains frequency ......