Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Average speed cameras

I've just read that if a vehicle changes lanes the cameras cannot detect the
speed of that vehicle once it has changed lanes.
I'm not into speeding, just curious.
Anybody?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I've just read that if a vehicle changes lanes the cameras cannot detect the
speed of that vehicle once it has changed lanes.
I'm not into speeding, just curious.
Anybody?

I doubt that this is true.
They use anpr so as long as start and end cameras can see the vehicle,
they will be able to measure the average speed.
AFAIK there is just nothing you can do to defeat the sheer simplicity of
these systems
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2017 17:17, Bob Minchin wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I've just read that if a vehicle changes lanes the cameras cannot
detect the
speed of that vehicle once it has changed lanes.
I'm not into speeding, just curious.
Anybody?

I doubt that this is true.
They use anpr so as long as start and end cameras can see the vehicle,
they will be able to measure the average speed.
AFAIK there is just nothing you can do to defeat the sheer simplicity of
these systems

It's not so much the ANPR that is been judged for it's accuracy but the
laws that allow the police to prosecute if you change lanes.

Pounder has mixed the two up.

I speed.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2017 17:17, Bob Minchin wrote:

AFAIK there is just nothing you can do to defeat the sheer simplicity of
these systems

You are not trying hard enough.

Mud on the number plates, removing your numberplates, altering your
numberplates, using stolen numberplates, just nipping in behind a lorry
at the specs camera.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2017 17:53, ARW wrote:
On 18/06/2017 17:17, Bob Minchin wrote:

AFAIK there is just nothing you can do to defeat the sheer simplicity of
these systems

You are not trying hard enough.

Mud on the number plates, removing your numberplates, altering your
numberplates, using stolen numberplates, just nipping in behind a lorry
at the specs camera.

+ driving a foreign registered car

Oddly the EU has been dead slow to address cross-border
enforcement/collection of penalties for traffic infringements. Don't
know about elsewhere but it's a big problem for TfL and London boroughs.
I'm far less worried about the Porsche in my rear view mirror than the
white van with non-UK plates.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2017 18:17, Robin wrote:
On 18/06/2017 17:53, ARW wrote:
On 18/06/2017 17:17, Bob Minchin wrote:

AFAIK there is just nothing you can do to defeat the sheer simplicity of
these systems

You are not trying hard enough.

Mud on the number plates, removing your numberplates, altering your
numberplates, using stolen numberplates, just nipping in behind a
lorry at the specs camera.

+ driving a foreign registered car

Oddly the EU has been dead slow to address cross-border
enforcement/collection of penalties for traffic infringements. Don't
know about elsewhere but it's a big problem for TfL and London boroughs.
I'm far less worried about the Porsche in my rear view mirror than the
white van with non-UK plates.

except:
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/mot...ent-directive/
wef May 2017...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2017 17:17, Bob Minchin wrote:

AFAIK there is just nothing you can do to defeat the sheer simplicity of
these systems

I don't know if it works but when visiting the Norfolk/Suffolk borders I
see a lot of 4x4s with really, really, mucky plates. I know that is a
separate offence but with reductions in the numbers of traffic police...

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2017 17:56, Robin wrote:
On 18/06/2017 17:17, Bob Minchin wrote:

AFAIK there is just nothing you can do to defeat the sheer simplicity
of these systems

I don't know if it works but when visiting the Norfolk/Suffolk borders I
see a lot of 4x4s with really, really, mucky plates. I know that is a
separate offence but with reductions in the numbers of traffic police...

I now live oop north but did live down south (Suffolk) for a number of
years. It was autumn and (always) very muddy (rear number plate often
obscured). I had driven into London one evening and was trying to find
a location inside the City (at the time they had the concrete cordon
round the financial district), and was driving round and round one of
the squares looking a bit lost. A police vehicle pulled me over, asked
what I was doing, I obviously looked plausible/innocent/dumb enough so
his mate cleaned my number plate and they sent me on my way :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I've just read that if a vehicle changes lanes the cameras cannot detect the
speed of that vehicle once it has changed lanes.
I'm not into speeding, just curious.
Anybody?

I doubt that this is true.
They use anpr so as long as start and end cameras can see the vehicle,
they will be able to measure the average speed.
AFAIK there is just nothing you can do to defeat the sheer simplicity of
these systems

Except go very slowly for a while and then whiz off at over the speed
limit! :-)

.... or ride a motorbike, for some reason all the ones round here have
forward facing cameras.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2017 19:30, Chris Green wrote:

.... or ride a motorbike, for some reason all the ones round here have
forward facing cameras.

to counter the "Hamilton defence" q.v.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I've just read that if a vehicle changes lanes the cameras cannot
detect the
speed of that vehicle once it has changed lanes.
I'm not into speeding, just curious.
Anybody?

I doubt that this is true.
They use anpr so as long as start and end cameras can see the vehicle,
they will be able to measure the average speed.
AFAIK there is just nothing you can do to defeat the sheer simplicity of
these systems

I do wonder if the cameras can see your number if you are close behind
and perhaps slightly to the right of a high vehicle.

You see very few vehicles breaking the speed limit.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message news

I've just read that if a vehicle changes lanes the cameras cannot detect
the speed of that vehicle once it has changed lanes.
I'm not into speeding, just curious.
Anybody?

Go for it. Find some near you and **** through at 90mph changing lanes like
crazy. Report back with your findings.

Slightly OT to your OT, here's something you might consider for your garden:
http://www.robotshop.com/uk/litter-r...er-box-eu.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18-Jun-17 5:06 PM, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I've just read that if a vehicle changes lanes the cameras cannot detect the
speed of that vehicle once it has changed lanes.
I'm not into speeding, just curious.
Anybody?

That was true, for a very short while, just after they were introduced.
The fault was quickly corrected, but it lives on in urban myth.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire laid this down on his screen :
I've just read that if a vehicle changes lanes the cameras cannot detect the
speed of that vehicle once it has changed lanes.
I'm not into speeding, just curious.
Anybody?

That used to be true, when they were first introduced, due to a bug
supposedly in the software. I would expect that particular bug to have
been sorted long ago.