Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Default bats in the belfry?

Hi All
we have a strange noise coming from a corner of the loft; I will go up
there shortly but am puzzled as to what it might be.

We had rats some years ago (collapsed drain, since repaired) and I am pretty
sure it is not them. All we hear is a short bit of 'scrabbling'. only for a
period of 30secs or a minute, around midnight or so, some nights. The noise
actually comes from a corner of the first floor ceiling which is an outside
corner, as it were. I've taken a look outside at that corner with with
binoculars but cannot see anything unusual.

As I say, I will take a look in the loft shortly but I am curious in advance
as to what it might be, given the very short nature, and timing, of the
noise. Theories welcome...

Cheers
Jon N

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jkn wrote:

we have a strange noise coming from a corner of the loft; Theories welcome...

Every time I've thought it might be rodents, it's turned out to be birds.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/17 08:20, jkn wrote:
Hi All
we have a strange noise coming from a corner of the loft; I will go up
there shortly but am puzzled as to what it might be.

We had rats some years ago (collapsed drain, since repaired) and I am pretty
sure it is not them. All we hear is a short bit of 'scrabbling'. only for a
period of 30secs or a minute, around midnight or so, some nights. The noise
actually comes from a corner of the first floor ceiling which is an outside
corner, as it were. I've taken a look outside at that corner with with
binoculars but cannot see anything unusual.

As I say, I will take a look in the loft shortly but I am curious in advance
as to what it might be, given the very short nature, and timing, of the
noise. Theories welcome...

Cheers
Jon N

Meece...

or perhaps another small rodent, or perhaps nesting birds

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/17 08:27, Andy Burns wrote:
jkn wrote:

we have a strange noise coming from a corner of the loft; Theories
welcome...

Every time I've thought it might be rodents, it's turned out to be birds.

Every time I've thought it might be birds, it's turned out to be rodents.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher formulated on Friday :
Meece...

or perhaps another small rodent, or perhaps nesting birds

As it kicks in at regular times, could it be the hot water system
starting to heat up at a set time?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2017 08:20, jkn wrote:
Hi All
we have a strange noise coming from a corner of the loft; I will go up
there shortly but am puzzled as to what it might be.

We had rats some years ago (collapsed drain, since repaired) and I am pretty
sure it is not them. All we hear is a short bit of 'scrabbling'. only for a
period of 30secs or a minute, around midnight or so, some nights. The noise
actually comes from a corner of the first floor ceiling which is an outside
corner, as it were. I've taken a look outside at that corner with with
binoculars but cannot see anything unusual.

If it is bats then watching outside at dusk as they come out to hunt
will confirm it. They tend not to be in the roost at night- leaving at
dusk to go out hunting and when they come back are lightning fast.

As I say, I will take a look in the loft shortly but I am curious in advance
as to what it might be, given the very short nature, and timing, of the
noise. Theories welcome...

I suspect it is more likely mice. Bats do make a noise from time to time
but only for a few nights a year when the youngsters are learning to fly
and crash into things. Its a bit early for that ~late July where I live.

It could also be birds nesting - they make scrabbling noises too.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
The Natural Philosopher formulated on Friday :
Meece...

or perhaps another small rodent, or perhaps nesting birds

As it kicks in at regular times, could it be the hot water system
starting to heat up at a set time?

Sounds a bit late for Bat noises. I'm no expert but our Pipistrelles
emerge at dusk and go off to feed. They seem to prefer the East side of
buildings but this may be conveniently sprung cladding boards.
June is a likely time for offspring so maybe mum comes back and you hear
the subsequent kerfuffle.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 16 June 2017 09:10:43 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
If it is bats, don't tell anyone about it as they are protected and it might
be difficult to legally get rid of them if they have been there for some
time. Much better, though not for the bats, is to wait till they are all out
hunting at night then block up the hole they are using to get in.

I have the same problem with students in the lab ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes if its birds, wait till they all fledge then block it up.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
news
On 16/06/2017 08:20, jkn wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also whatever it is, the access hole need not be where the scrabbling
occurs, the roost or next will not be near the hole or the weather will come
in.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
news
On 16/06/2017 08:20, jkn wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 16 June 2017 11:35:09 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 16 June 2017 09:10:43 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
If it is bats, don't tell anyone about it as they are protected and it might
be difficult to legally get rid of them if they have been there for some
time. Much better, though not for the bats, is to wait till they are all out
hunting at night then block up the hole they are using to get in.

I have the same problem with students in the lab ;-)

Difficult to legally get rid of them ;-)
Best wait until they leave the lab then lock them out until the next day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2017 13:32, Brian Gaff wrote:

Also whatever it is, the access hole need not be where the scrabbling
occurs, the roost or next will not be near the hole or the weather will come
in.
Brian

There isn't much separation on mine. And the hole is unbelievably small
more like a narrow slit of missing mortar. Weather doesn't get in.

The young fledgling bats can find their way through miniscule gaps and
sometimes end up on the downstairs carpet unable to climb the skirting
board to gain height and fly again. bat conservation taught me how to
take them back to the roost after getting fed up with callouts.

My bats cling to the roof and under the eaves just above the point of
entry. I don't begrudge them a home in the loft even and put trays down
to catch the droppings. The whole idea freaks my cousins out.

I think numbers are less this year with the oil boiler no longer running
for hot water. It isn't quite as cosy any more.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2017 13:30, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes if its birds, wait till they all fledge then block it up.

Our wrens fledged today. I found one of them drowned in a bucket on the
patio

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Update:
Hi all. I managed to get up in the loft this (sweltering) weekend. The
evidence is clear - fresh rat droppings ;-(. Have put some traps down and we
will take it from there.

Thanks for all the ideas/observations

Jon N

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2017 22:17, jkn wrote:
Update:
Hi all. I managed to get up in the loft this (sweltering) weekend. The
evidence is clear - fresh rat droppings ;-(. Have put some traps down and we
will take it from there.

Good luck with that. The ones round here are too smart for traps or
anything other than farm grade professional poison bait. They were able
to eat the stuff normally sold to the public without apparent harm!

Snag is with poison that they go off somewhere to die and in this heat
that will pong a lot and attract many flies.

Thanks for all the ideas/observations

Jon N

Good luck!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Martin Brown
writes

Snag is with poison that they go off somewhere to die and in this heat
that will pong a lot and attract many flies.

tangent Our dog loves to bring home remnants of long dead wildlife
and, since our bin was last emptied, I have added two rabbits and a
pigeon. The bin is due to be emptied Wednesday, and it *stinks*.

--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2017 21:03, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 16/06/2017 13:30, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes if its birds, wait till they all fledge then block it up.

Our wrens fledged today. I found one of them drowned in a bucket on the
patio

So did my hedge sparrows. I grounded the cat for 24 hours.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2017 08:53, Martin Brown wrote:

Snag is with poison that they go off somewhere to die and in this heat
that will pong a lot and attract many flies.

For me the life cycle concluded with many hundreds of baby spiders
abseiling from the loft hatch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 19:27:02 +0100, ARW
wrote:

So did my hedge sparrows. I grounded the cat for 24 hours.

Dunnock?

My daughter had a young downy herring gull wander into the house
today. It will be a few weeks before it flies but as a parent was
nearby she put it out.

I've warned her to watch the toddlers as the parent might attack if
they go out near it in the garden.

My big excitement was finding a stag beetle on the kitchen floor.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

jkn wrote:

we have a strange noise coming from a corner of the loft; Theories welcome...

Every time I've thought it might be rodents, it's turned out to be birds.

And true again today ... first thing this morning scratchy feet type noises from the loft on the bedroom ceiling, then nothing. Later I though the postman had pushed something big through the letterbox which was inexorably slipping to the floor as often happens, then a starling suddenly appears in the bedroom and perches on the curtain pole! It had been slowly pushing its way through insulation in the corner of the bathroom where I've moved/replaced a 110mm vent pipe with an 83mm one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2019 10:17, wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

jkn wrote:

we have a strange noise coming from a corner of the loft; Theories welcome...

Every time I've thought it might be rodents, it's turned out to be birds.

And true again today ... first thing this morning scratchy feet type noises from the loft on the bedroom ceiling, then nothing. Later I though the postman had pushed something big through the letterbox which was inexorably slipping to the floor as often happens, then a starling suddenly appears in the bedroom and perches on the curtain pole! It had been slowly pushing its way through insulation in the corner of the bathroom where I've moved/replaced a 110mm vent pipe with an 83mm one.

If its birds pigeons are the most likely culprit, and if so get rid of
them as fast as possible. Within a week or so you will be feet deep in
pigeon poo. Been there and I have the T shirt. My experience was before
having a new roof fitted and I had lost two slates. I put off the repair
for a few weeks and my loft was invaded by the local flock of pigeons.
Unfortunately for them many were still in the loft when the roof was
repaired and being mid summer they soon died. Luckily the heat also
rapidly dehyrdated the bodies and I was spared the problem with rotting
corpses. When I later went in the loft there were two nests with eggs
and a number of dead birds. They had been roosting of the purlins and
the amount of **** on them and the boards underneath was substantial. A
mask, scraper, vacuum cleaner. mop, scrubbing brush and a garden sprayer
filled with bleach later and the area was sanitised allowing for
relatively clean storage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

If its birds pigeons are the most likely culprit, and if so get rid of
them as fast as possible.

Pigeons here are so fat they'd need a cat-flap to get in.

As I said it was a starling, they do have a history of getting in
underneath the cut tiles around the roof vent. I replaced the lead
weathering slate with an aluminium one, and replaced adjacent roof tiles
when I changed the vent stack from 110mm to 83mm, and put some bird
combs on the eaves for good measure ... persistent buggers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, I gather that birds do not have much on board storage for poo, and
hence often eject it wherever they are when their tank is full. I often
think that mice do the same thing, but of course mice don't fly.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...