Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pouring fizzy pop from a bottle

We don't drink much, but buy in large bottles 1.25 to 2L. Towards the
end the contents is always pretty flat. That due to each time the
bottle cap is taken off, pressure is lost before any can be poured.

I'm think if it could be poured from the bottom, much less pressure
would be lost with each pour if only the cap allowed that. Out of
curiosity, I am experimenting with a 2L bottle of Coke, by inverting it
then loosening the cap just enough to blow a glass at a time out.

Half empty now, but there is still lots of pressure, but might there be
a better way?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 28 May 2017 16:53:56 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
We don't drink much, but buy in large bottles 1.25 to 2L. Towards the
end the contents is always pretty flat. That due to each time the
bottle cap is taken off, pressure is lost before any can be poured.

I'm think if it could be poured from the bottom, much less pressure
would be lost with each pour if only the cap allowed that. Out of
curiosity, I am experimenting with a 2L bottle of Coke, by inverting it
then loosening the cap just enough to blow a glass at a time out.

Half empty now, but there is still lots of pressure, but might there be
a better way?

Commercial devices are available to do this in effect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

critcher brought next idea :
are you real?

Of course. I see a problem, I seek out solutions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

critcher wrote:

are you real?

Of course. I see a problem, I seek out solutions.

You want a 'bottle' with a dip-tube, aka a corny keg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornelius_keg

Then you'll need a CO2 bottle to charge it, you could start buying the
postmix syrups, fit your own 'snake' so you've got coke/lemonade/fanta
at the push of a button :-)

http://store.approvedfood.co.uk/soft_drinks/coca_cola_postmix_syrup_mix_7_litres-35530-p?pid=35530

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/28/2017 5:23 PM, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 28 May 2017 16:53:54 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

We don't drink much, but buy in large bottles 1.25 to 2L. Towards the
end the contents is always pretty flat. That due to each time the
bottle cap is taken off, pressure is lost before any can be poured.

I'm think if it could be poured from the bottom, much less pressure
would be lost with each pour if only the cap allowed that. Out of
curiosity, I am experimenting with a 2L bottle of Coke, by inverting it
then loosening the cap just enough to blow a glass at a time out.

Half empty now, but there is still lots of pressure, but might there be
a better way?

http://tinyurl.com/y95kzqd4

https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/h...onger-0145877/

is the first one that I get from that tinyurl and covers what I would
have said. Keep it in the fridge is the easy one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote

We don't drink much, but buy in large bottles 1.25 to 2L.
Towards the end the contents is always pretty flat.

Then it makes sense to buy smaller container of it.

That due to each time the bottle cap is taken
off, pressure is lost before any can be poured.

I'm think if it could be poured from the bottom, much less pressure
would be lost with each pour if only the cap allowed that.

Or use an arrangement like a soda syphon, or smaller bottles.

Out of curiosity,

Don't forget what that did to the cat.

I am experimenting with a 2L bottle of Coke, by inverting it then
loosening the cap just enough to blow a glass at a time out.

Makes more sense to buy smaller containers of it.

Half empty now, but there is still lots of
pressure, but might there be a better way?

Yep, buy smaller containers of it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

critcher wrote
Harry Bloomfield wrote

We don't drink much, but buy in large bottles 1.25 to 2L. Towards
the end the contents is always pretty flat. That due to each time
the bottle cap is taken off, pressure is lost before any can be poured.

I'm think if it could be poured from the bottom, much less pressure
would be lost with each pour if only the cap allowed that. Out of
curiosity, I am experimenting with a 2L bottle of Coke, by inverting
it then loosening the cap just enough to blow a glass at a time out.

Half empty now, but there is still lots of
pressure, but might there be a better way?

are you real?

Nope, he's fake, like fake news.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/h...onger-0145877/

is the first one that I get from that tinyurl and covers what I would
have said. Keep it in the fridge is the easy one.

Are you referring to the fizzkeeper?

How would pumping air into the bottle help? Each gas has its own
partial pressure in the bottle, so adding (mainly) N and O won't stop
the CO2 coming out of solution.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

We don't drink much, but buy in large bottles 1.25 to 2L. Towards the
end the contents is always pretty flat. That due to each time the
bottle cap is taken off, pressure is lost before any can be poured.

I'm think if it could be poured from the bottom, much less pressure
would be lost with each pour if only the cap allowed that. Out of
curiosity, I am experimenting with a 2L bottle of Coke, by inverting it
then loosening the cap just enough to blow a glass at a time out.

Half empty now, but there is still lots of pressure, but might there be
a better way?

http://tinyurl.com/y95kzqd4

Not very helpful are we?
https://tinyurl.com/y9xc2wqe

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

We don't drink much, but buy in large bottles 1.25 to 2L. Towards the
end the contents is always pretty flat. That due to each time the
bottle cap is taken off, pressure is lost before any can be poured.

I'm think if it could be poured from the bottom, much less pressure
would be lost with each pour if only the cap allowed that. Out of
curiosity, I am experimenting with a 2L bottle of Coke, by inverting it
then loosening the cap just enough to blow a glass at a time out.

Half empty now, but there is still lots of pressure, but might there be
a better way?

http://tinyurl.com/y95kzqd4

Not very helpful are we?
https://tinyurl.com/y9xc2wqe

You're not sposed to post your selfys in here, arsehole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns formulated on Sunday :
Are you referring to the fizzkeeper?

How would pumping air into the bottle help? Each gas has its own partial
pressure in the bottle, so adding (mainly) N and O won't stop the CO2 coming
out of solution.

It is kept in the fridge anyway. I agree that the Fizzkeeper would not
work that well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2017 21:30, Rod Speed wrote:

news
wrote:

We don't drink much, but buy in large bottles 1.25 to 2L. Towards the
end the contents is always pretty flat. That due to each time the
bottle cap is taken off, pressure is lost before any can be poured.

I'm think if it could be poured from the bottom, much less pressure
would be lost with each pour if only the cap allowed that. Out of
curiosity, I am experimenting with a 2L bottle of Coke, by inverting it
then loosening the cap just enough to blow a glass at a time out.

Half empty now, but there is still lots of pressure, but might there be
a better way?

http://tinyurl.com/y95kzqd4

Not very helpful are we?
https://tinyurl.com/y9xc2wqe

You're not sposed to post your selfys in here, arsehole.

LOL - you actually looked!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 May 2017 18:45:37 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

critcher brought next idea :
are you real?

Of course. I see a problem, I seek out solutions.

Keep it simple, purchase smaller bottles.

Your consumption is not enough to let the product remain in optimal
condition, you can argue that the larger size is saving you money but
that is because so far you have accepted that to do so you have
tolerated a product that is past its best. You can do that because
such a product is still relatively harmless to consume but you would
you do it with milk that is not so robust?

Any gadgets or other tricks is just faffing about to satisfy your
desire to tinker or do you really need to save every penny on a luxury
consumable.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 May 2017 10:47:45 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sun, 28 May 2017 20:11:43 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

newshound wrote:

https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/h...oda-use-trick-

keep-two-liter-bottles-soda-fizzy-longer-0145877/

is the first one that I get from that tinyurl and covers what I would
have said. Keep it in the fridge is the easy one.

Your mention of partial pressure reminds me of a technique I saw
described many years ago for keeping fizz fizzy. After you've poured out
what you want, squeeze the bottle to push out all the air and bring the
liquid surface up to the top of the neck, then replace the cap tightly.

Mentioned in the link above. Personally I buy cans in bulk.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 29/05/2017, Chris Hog supposed :
(Henry's Law https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry%27s_law ). When the
bottle is half full, the partial pressure of CO2 in the air-space is
reduced because of the partial pressures of O2 and N2 from the air, as
you say. Expelling all the air allows only CO2 to exist in that space,
so the fizz will still have a lot of CO2 dissolved in it and remain
fizzy.

Some means would need to be found, to prevent the bottle expanding
again due to gas pressure. It has the disadvantage that when the top is
opened, CO2 will be lost and replaced with air.

My rather messy method of inverting the bottle, prevents any CO2
escaping, apart from that which comes out with the liquid, and
absolutely no air can get in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

newshound wrote:

https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/h...onger-0145877/

is the first one that I get from that tinyurl and covers what I would
have said. Keep it in the fridge is the easy one.

Are you referring to the fizzkeeper?

How would pumping air into the bottle help? Each gas has its own
partial pressure in the bottle, so adding (mainly) N and O won't stop
the CO2 coming out of solution.

Your mention of partial pressure reminds me of a technique I saw
described many years ago for keeping fizz fizzy. After you've poured
out what you want, squeeze the bottle to push out all the air and
bring the liquid surface up to the top of the neck, then replace the
cap tightly. The theory is that the amount of CO2 that remains in the
fizz is proportional to the partial pressure of CO2 in the gas above
the liquid surface
(Henry's Law https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry%27s_law ). When the
bottle is half full, the partial pressure of CO2 in the air-space is
reduced because of the partial pressures of O2 and N2 from the air, as
you say. Expelling all the air allows only CO2 to exist in that space,
so the fizz will still have a lot of CO2 dissolved in it and remain
fizzy.

I must admit I remain a bit sceptical, but the OP can at least try it,
even if it does mean the squashed bottles look a bit odd.
http://tinyurl.com/y9sa8h2l
Or, as someone else suggested, just pay a bit more and get smaller
bottles.

I believe your explanation is half correct.

The amount of CO2 is constant, before any leakage, so the partial
pressure in the drink and air-space will be the same independent of
whether there is additional air in the bottle.

What you might have missed is the absolute pressure will rise further
due to the present of air in the space above the fluid by nearly an
atmosphere more than if the bottle was fully collapsed with no air space
above the drink.

PET might be impervious to water and water vapour I don't believe it is
to air and CO2 so the bottle with the higher pressure will loose more gas.

BICBW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pouring fizzy pop from a bottle [UPDATE]

Harry Bloomfield expressed precisely :
We don't drink much, but buy in large bottles 1.25 to 2L. Towards the end the
contents is always pretty flat. That due to each time the bottle cap is taken
off, pressure is lost before any can be poured.

I'm think if it could be poured from the bottom, much less pressure would be
lost with each pour if only the cap allowed that. Out of curiosity, I am
experimenting with a 2L bottle of Coke, by inverting it then loosening the
cap just enough to blow a glass at a time out.

Half empty now, but there is still lots of pressure, but might there be a
better way?

The method works very well indeed, better than I expected apart from
the mess it caused. There is just a cupful left in the 2L bottle, the
bottle is still firm with pressure and plenty of gas is evident when I
pour - I just need to find a better way to pour than loosening the cap
with the bottle inverted. I wonder if one of those caps often sold with
bottled drinking water might work, where you just pull to open?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 May 2017 17:51:49 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

We don't drink much, but buy in large bottles 1.25 to 2L. Towards the end the
contents is always pretty flat. That due to each time the bottle cap is taken
off, pressure is lost before any can be poured.

Out of curiosity, I am
experimenting with a 2L bottle of Coke, by inverting it then loosening the
cap just enough to blow a glass at a time out.

Half empty now, but there is still lots of pressure, but might there be a
better way?

The method works very well indeed, better than I expected apart from
the mess it caused.
I just need to find a better way to pour than loosening the cap
with the bottle inverted. I wonder if one of those caps often sold with
bottled drinking water might work, where you just pull to open?

Put the Term "Fizzy Drinks saver" into a search Engine, it won't be
long before you find a gadget designed for the task available on ebay
for a couple of pounds. Holds the bottle upside down and a connection
to a flip tap .
You could probably DIY one from the pictures but remember soft drinks
can be quite aggressive on materials used.

G.Harman