Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SDS drill on offer at Screwfix

http://www.screwfix.com/p/o/29604

Well they are pretty good IMHO.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/o/29604

Noticed them in there today, only comes with the SDS chuck, not the
swappable keyless chuck, not quite sure why anyone would specifically
want a white one, though.

Well they are pretty good IMHO.

Yes, mine's an older model, but still going strong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/17 16:21, Andy Burns wrote:
ARW wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/o/29604

Noticed them in there today, only comes with the SDS chuck, not the
swappable keyless chuck, not quite sure why anyone would specifically
want a white one, though.

It's a special for kitchen use, cleaning pots ;-)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
ARW wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/o/29604

Noticed them in there today, only comes with the SDS chuck, not the
swappable keyless chuck, not quite sure why anyone would specifically
want a white one, though.

My SDS is one of those ancient DeWalt ones, which has been just great for
the things SDS do well. And I paid extra for a conventional chuck which
I've actually never found a use for. ;-) Of course if an SDS was your only
drill, it might be worth it. The problem being the add on chuck makes the
drill longer, and there is too much play for anything other than rough
work.

Well they are pretty good IMHO.

Yes, mine's an older model, but still going strong.

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

My SDS is one of those ancient DeWalt ones, which has been just great for
the things SDS do well. And I paid extra for a conventional chuck which
I've actually never found a use for. ;-) Of course if an SDS was your only
drill, it might be worth it.

I've used the conventional chuck a few times, the 18V drill/driver copes
so with most tasks so is used more frequently, I *think* I know where my
old B&D mains one is. The one time it felt as though other drills would
have struggled was when using a 65mm holesaw in 40mm thick oak for desk
grommets.

The problem being the add on chuck makes the drill longer

At least the Makita chucks are exchangeable, rather than being a
chuck-in-chuck arrangement, but it still makes for a pretty long drill +
chuck + bit combo.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

My SDS is one of those ancient DeWalt ones, which has been just great
for the things SDS do well. And I paid extra for a conventional chuck
which I've actually never found a use for. ;-) Of course if an SDS was
your only drill, it might be worth it.

I've used the conventional chuck a few times, the 18V drill/driver copes
so with most tasks so is used more frequently, I *think* I know where
my old B&D mains one is. The one time it felt as though other drills
would have struggled was when using a 65mm holesaw in 40mm thick oak
for desk grommets.

Yes. I only can be bothered getting the SDS out if lots of holes to drill
- or into something my cordless won't cope with anyway.

The problem being the add on chuck makes the drill longer

At least the Makita chucks are exchangeable, rather than being a
chuck-in-chuck arrangement, but it still makes for a pretty long drill +
chuck + bit combo.

So on some the SDS chuck comes off and the 'normal' one replaces it? Is
this as rigid as a conventional drill?

Thin is if I wanted to use it for conventional drilling I'd have to
remember to take conventional drill bits to the job too. So might as well
bring a second drill. ;-)

--
*I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

So on some the SDS chuck comes off and the 'normal' one replaces it? Is
this as rigid as a conventional drill?

Yes, the chucks slide onto a splined shaft and have a locking collar to
tighten them down.