Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Jockey wheel

Why is a Jockey wheel called a Jockey wheel ? ....

It's those things that can be used to raise the height of caravans and trailers easily.

Just wondered where they get the name from.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/h7b/Maypo...s=Jockey+wheel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
whisky-dave writes
Why is a Jockey wheel called a Jockey wheel ? ....

I had vaguely thought it came from the expression jockeying into
position, but perhaps the expression came from the wheel?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/10/2017 2:26 PM, whisky-dave wrote:
Why is a Jockey wheel called a Jockey wheel ? ....

It's those things that can be used to raise the height of caravans and trailers easily.

Just wondered where they get the name from.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/h7b/Maypo...s=Jockey+wheel

GIYF

"struggle by every available means to gain or achieve something."

a person who pilots, operates, or guides the movement of something, as
an airplane or automobile.

Informal. to operate or guide the movement of; pilot; drive.
5.
to move, bring, put, etc., by skillful maneuvering:
The movers jockeyed the sofa through the door.
6.
to trick or cheat:
The salesman jockeyed them into buying an expensive car.
7.
to manipulate cleverly or trickily:
He jockeyed himself into office.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave Wrote in message:
Why is a Jockey wheel called a Jockey wheel ? ....

It's those things that can be used to raise the height of caravans and trailers easily.

Just wondered where they get the name from.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/h7b/Maypo...s=Jockey+wheel

So that you can "jockey" it into position.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 May 2017 16:09:42 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 5/10/2017 2:26 PM, whisky-dave wrote:
Why is a Jockey wheel called a Jockey wheel ? ....

It's those things that can be used to raise the height of caravans and trailers easily.

Just wondered where they get the name from.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/h7b/Maypo...s=Jockey+wheel

GIYF

"struggle by every available means to gain or achieve something."

a person who pilots, operates, or guides the movement of something, as
an airplane or automobile.

Like the bloke on an 'orse you mean .

Informal. to operate or guide the movement of; pilot; drive.
5.
to move, bring, put, etc., by skillful maneuvering:
The movers jockeyed the sofa through the door.
6.
to trick or cheat:
The salesman jockeyed them into buying an expensive car.
7.
to manipulate cleverly or trickily:
He jockeyed himself into office.

I guess that makes sense, Jimmy saville jockeyed his way into young boys and girls, yep makes perfect sense now being a DJ too :-)

Similar to football scouts from what I was listening too last night.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/17 16:09, newshound wrote:
[...]

So the jockey is a man who jockeys, not the other way around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well I can think of one, but it is rather sizist, so I won't mention it.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
Why is a Jockey wheel called a Jockey wheel ? ....

It's those things that can be used to raise the height of caravans and
trailers easily.

Just wondered where they get the name from.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/h7b/Maypo...s=Jockey+wheel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/17 09:13, Brian Gaff wrote:
So what about Idler wheels in turntables and other drive systems. These are
wheels that are anything but idle.
Brian

"An idler gear is a gear wheel that is inserted between two or more
other gear wheels. The purpose of an idler gear can be two-fold.
Firstly, the idler gear will change the direction of rotation of the
output shaft. Secondly, an idler gear can assist to reduce the size of
the input/output gears whilst maintaining the spacing of the shafts."

I.e. its idle because it is not part of the drive or driven shafts. It's
connected to nothing via its shaft, only to other gears via its teeth,
or in the case of a belt tensioning pulley or a turntable pulley, its rim.

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 4:09:42 PM UTC+1, newshound wrote:
[...]

So...jockey shorts?...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Halmyre writes

So...jockey shorts?...

The need to jockey your ******** into a comfortable position?
--
Graeme

OT jockey weight micky Home Repair 8 June 23rd 15 01:20 AM
How to replace a Creda T632CW tumble dryer jockey wheel Robin UK diy 0 July 21st 10 01:12 PM
Wheel Horse lawn tractor wheel slipping JJ[_8_] Home Repair 4 July 19th 10 08:56 PM
0bama Presidency a skidmark on our Nation's jockey shorts Wes[_2_] Metalworking 1 March 6th 10 03:47 AM
is this a forged steel wheel? or an antique roller-conveyor wheel,or what? (pic online) dave Metalworking 9 August 2nd 09 08:28 PM