Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default FireFox has Foxed up

Anyone else suffering with the latest FireFox update?
It's died. Works OK in safe mode but I can't disable/remove add-ons in
normal mode as it's unresponsive.

I've uninstalled the 32 bit version and installed the 64 bit one
thinking it might flush everything out but no.

Just re-bootoed the other PC and Firefox has done exactly the same thing
on that one now.

Grrrr....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

GymRatZ wrote:

Anyone else suffering with the latest FireFox update?

I switched to Chrome a few weeks ago. It's better in virtually every
respect.

Somewhat sadly +1 (well, Iron instead of Chrome)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2017-05-09, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Anyone else suffering with the latest FireFox update?

I switched to Chrome a few weeks ago. It's better in virtually every
respect.

I switched to Chrome a while ago. Chrome is memory hungry, but less so
than Firefox, IME.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

Is it simple to switch? Can you port over all your favourites,
passwords etc without any hassle?

Bookmarks and history chrome imported ok, passwords it said it had
imported, but it hadn't so I exported to CSV and imported to lastpass,
not sure if I will keep that long term, but it got me working ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Chris Hogg
escribió:

I updated FF recently; now on 53.0.2 32 bit version, and no problems
at all AFAICT. Win 7.

Same here, updated from 52.0.2. It disabled Ghostery, but all else ok.
It seems a lot quicker, too.

I've been using Pale Moon for some time but might give the v53 Firefox a
try. It's a new browser engine, I believe.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The problem with pale moon and others for me is that all accessibility has
been removed, so its unusable.
I cannot say 53 is much different to 52, though of course 52 is the last to
work on XP and 48 was the last to work on amd Athlon/sempron.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
En el artículo , Chris Hogg
escribió:

I updated FF recently; now on 53.0.2 32 bit version, and no problems
at all AFAICT. Win 7.

Same here, updated from 52.0.2. It disabled Ghostery, but all else ok.
It seems a lot quicker, too.

I've been using Pale Moon for some time but might give the v53 Firefox a
try. It's a new browser engine, I believe.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One problem I have found in recent Firefox versions is that it comes up with
no page, and try again, or bits of a site indicate server not found and a
refresh is needed. I imagine this points to there being some kind of latency
somewhere in the system, which in time will probably be fixed.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Tue, 9 May 2017 16:23:25 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo , Chris Hogg
escribió:

I updated FF recently; now on 53.0.2 32 bit version, and no problems
at all AFAICT. Win 7.

Same here, updated from 52.0.2. It disabled Ghostery, but all else ok.
It seems a lot quicker, too.

Ghostery working fine, as is uBlock and ReminderFox. Not sure it's any
quicker for me though.

--

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg formulated the question :
On Tue, 9 May 2017 14:43:18 +0100, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
wrote:

Anyone else suffering with the latest FireFox update?
It's died. Works OK in safe mode but I can't disable/remove add-ons in
normal mode as it's unresponsive.

I've uninstalled the 32 bit version and installed the 64 bit one
thinking it might flush everything out but no.

Just re-bootoed the other PC and Firefox has done exactly the same thing
on that one now.

Grrrr....

I updated FF recently; now on 53.0.2 32 bit version, and no problems
at all AFAICT. Win 7.

32 bit was working fine, then I realised there was a 64bit version, so
moved over to that and uninstalled the 32bit version. All working fine
still.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield has brought this to us :
32 bit was working fine, then I realised there was a 64bit version, so moved
over to that and uninstalled the 32bit version. All working fine still.

Just checked and it was on v53 64bit and waiting to install an update.
Now on 53.0.2 64bit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2017 17:46, Brian Gaff wrote:
Which version of Firefox do you have. Also are these amd chipped machines
not Intel?
Brian

Hi Brian,
Intel. All was good until the 53.02 udate.

It appears that one of the add-ons has blown things up.
The issue is that it runs fine in safe mode with everything disabled but
from what I can work out, I can't uninstal the extensions from safe mode
so when I go back to full mode it hangs.

On the other PC I just left it in a hung state after eventually being
able to click the uninstall button on one of the extensions to which it
hung again so I left it for another hour and was able to do the next and
so-on. re-booted and all was fine. Also just changed to 64 bit.
Only extensions that appear to be on both machines were a relic from
Avira (which was removed a few weeks ago), Google S3 translator, oh and
Addblock+ and Addblock helper so now I've got to sit here for a few more
hours trying to get this machine to un-install each thing between
hangings, but at least I know "click & forget" will eventually get rid
of them hopefully as today has been very non-productive trying to get
things working again.

Oh, and then the printer seems to have gone wonky...
Last night the mains power browned out severely 3 times too which has
killed one of my ADSL modems so all in all it's been a bit of a bad week
as far as IT things go.

Still, at least the sun's shining.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GymRatZ wrote:

It appears that one of the add-ons has blown things up.
The issue is that it runs fine in safe mode with everything disabled but
from what I can work out, I can't uninstal the extensions from safe mode
so when I go back to full mode it hangs.

create a new profile?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

On the other PC I just left it in a hung state after eventually being
able to click the uninstall button on one of the extensions to which it
hung again so I left it for another hour and was able to do the next and
so-on. re-booted and all was fine. Also just changed to 64 bit.
Only extensions that appear to be on both machines were a relic from
Avira (which was removed a few weeks ago), Google S3 translator, oh and
Addblock+ and Addblock helper so now I've got to sit here for a few more
hours trying to get this machine to un-install each thing between
hangings, but at least I know "click & forget" will eventually get rid
of them hopefully as today has been very non-productive trying to get
things working again.

I always use as few add-ons as I can get away with and also make sure
that unused ones are removed. The fewer there are the better! I
currently have just one installed.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Green" wrote in message ...

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

[...]

My main browser is Opera - built in adblocker and VPN.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 9 May 2017 14:43:18 +0100, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Anyone else suffering with the latest FireFox update?
It's died. Works OK in safe mode but I can't disable/remove add-ons in
normal mode as it's unresponsive.

I've uninstalled the 32 bit version and installed the 64 bit one
thinking it might flush everything out but no.

Just re-bootoed the other PC and Firefox has done exactly the same thing
on that one now.

Grrrr....

I use Firefox 52.1 ESR as it keeps out all the new, super-duper frippery and
doesn't do stupid updates if not wanted.
My main browser is Pale Moon, with Cyberfox as an alternative.
As you can use 64-bit, Waterfox is supposed to be good.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2017 21:33, PeterC wrote:

I use Firefox 52.1 ESR as it keeps out all the new, super-duper frippery and
doesn't do stupid updates if not wanted.
My main browser is Pale Moon, with Cyberfox as an alternative.
As you can use 64-bit, Waterfox is supposed to be good.

Palemoon being installed now to see how it compares.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-05-09, www.GymRatZ.co.uk
wrote:
Anyone else suffering with the latest FireFox update?

I switched to Chrome a few weeks ago. It's better in virtually every
respect.

Is it simple to switch? Can you port over all your favourites,
passwords etc without any hassle?

Yes, but chrome is severely lacking in some areas,
no real session manage capability at all and much
less configurable UI wise too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 9 May 2017 14:43:18 +0100, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Anyone else suffering with the latest FireFox update?
It's died. Works OK in safe mode but I can't disable/remove add-ons in
normal mode as it's unresponsive.

I've uninstalled the 32 bit version and installed the 64 bit one
thinking it might flush everything out but no.

Just re-bootoed the other PC and Firefox has done exactly the same thing
on that one now.

Grrrr....

I use Firefox 52.1 ESR as it keeps out all the new, super-duper frippery
and
doesn't do stupid updates if not wanted.
My main browser is Pale Moon, with Cyberfox as an alternative.
As you can use 64-bit, Waterfox is supposed to be good.

None of them have anything like the session managers that firefox does.

Or as configurable a UI either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 May 2017 21:33:32 UTC+1, PeterC wrote:
On Tue, 9 May 2017 14:43:18 +0100, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Anyone else suffering with the latest FireFox update?
It's died. Works OK in safe mode but I can't disable/remove add-ons in
normal mode as it's unresponsive.

I've uninstalled the 32 bit version and installed the 64 bit one
thinking it might flush everything out but no.

Just re-bootoed the other PC and Firefox has done exactly the same thing
on that one now.

Grrrr....

I use Firefox 52.1 ESR

I use that too as it works with unity player whereas theb 'normal' firefox wouldn't install it.

as it keeps out all the new, super-duper frippery and
doesn't do stupid updates if not wanted.
My main browser is Pale Moon, with Cyberfox as an alternative.
As you can use 64-bit, Waterfox is supposed to be good.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Anyone else suffering with the latest FireFox update?
It's died. Works OK in safe mode but I can't disable/remove add-ons in
normal mode as it's unresponsive.

I've uninstalled the 32 bit version and installed the 64 bit one
thinking it might flush everything out but no.

Just re-bootoed the other PC and Firefox has done exactly the same thing
on that one now.

Fine on both of mine. But I'm still on Win7.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Anyone else suffering with the latest FireFox update?
It's died. Works OK in safe mode but I can't disable/remove add-ons in
normal mode as it's unresponsive.

I've uninstalled the 32 bit version and installed the 64 bit one
thinking it might flush everything out but no.

Just re-bootoed the other PC and Firefox has done exactly the same thing
on that one now.

Fine on both of mine. But I'm still on Win7.

Me 2

One annoying feature is starting typing in the search box and then
realising the Fox is putting it somewhere else. For a non touch typist
this is a big waste of time!

--
Tim Lamb

Firefox Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 6 August 15th 15 07:04 AM
Firefox funny. Mr Pounder[_2_] UK diy 0 August 8th 12 05:11 PM
Firefox Bill[_18_] UK diy 27 June 18th 11 03:36 PM
allignment is not equal in firefox 1.5 & firefox 2.0.0.4 Mehul Home Repair 3 July 18th 07 04:48 PM
Firefox The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 19 July 23rd 06 03:04 PM