Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Firefox

Whats the .dbx file called for the bookmarks?

I'm peed orf losing my bookmarks when it decides to take a wobbler.

TA

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Whats the .dbx file called for the bookmarks?

I'm peed orf losing my bookmarks when it decides to take a wobbler.

TA

Are you sure that it has really lost them? When mine throws a wobbly, it's
usually because it hasn't shut down properly from an earlier run. Then, when
I start it again, it says my profile is in use - do I want to create a new
one, or somesuch. All I do then is to press CTRL/ALT/DEL to start Task
Manager, look for Firefox.exe and click 'End Process', followed by 'Yes'
when it issues a dire warning. When I then re-start Firefox, it comes up
properly - with all my bookmarks.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Whats the .dbx file called for the bookmarks?
I'm peed orf losing my bookmarks when it decides to take a wobbler.

Its under a path along the lines of this (this is where mine is)

C:\Documents and Settings\Colin Wilson\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox
\Profiles\(some stupid directory name) - mine is "m5s0guyp.default"

Why not simply export them to another directory somewhere from time to
time ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 21:30:50 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Whats the .dbx file called for the bookmarks?

I'm peed orf losing my bookmarks when it decides to take a wobbler.

I don't seem to get too many probs with FF[1], but you might like to take a
look at http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile.

[1] Famous last words.....

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Whats the .dbx file called for the bookmarks?

I'm peed orf losing my bookmarks when it decides to take a wobbler.

TA

snip
All I do then is to press
CTRL/ALT/DEL to start Task Manager...

CTRL-SHIFT-Esc is quicker.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Whats the .dbx file called for the bookmarks?

I'm peed orf losing my bookmarks when it decides to take a wobbler.

TA

Are you sure that it has really lost them? When mine throws a wobbly, it's
usually because it hasn't shut down properly from an earlier run. Then, when
I start it again, it says my profile is in use - do I want to create a new
one, or somesuch. All I do then is to press CTRL/ALT/DEL to start Task
Manager, look for Firefox.exe and click 'End Process', followed by 'Yes'
when it issues a dire warning. When I then re-start Firefox, it comes up
properly - with all my bookmarks.

Why doesn't Firefox close like any other program when you click on the
X? I have to remember to minimise it instead, or go through the "end
process" routine when trying to re-open it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Whats the .dbx file called for the bookmarks?

I'm peed orf losing my bookmarks when it decides to take a wobbler.

Are you sure that it has really lost them? When mine throws a wobbly,
it's usually because it hasn't shut down properly from an earlier run.
Then, when I start it again, it says my profile is in use - do I want
to create a new one, or somesuch. All I do then is to press
CTRL/ALT/DEL to start Task Manager, look for Firefox.exe and click
'End Process', followed by 'Yes' when it issues a dire warning. When I
then re-start Firefox, it comes up properly - with all my bookmarks.

Why doesn't Firefox close like any other program when you click on the
X? I have to remember to minimise it instead, or go through the "end
process" routine when trying to re-open it.

Firefox does shut down properly using the X for me. I use it in
preference to IE and never (really never) have any problems with it.
I've never lost bookmarks and the only time I had the problem with it
not disappearing from task manager was in the early firefox days when it
was updating and tried to shut itself down from the updater. Even that
works okay since the last few releases.
--
John Kelly

remove dimspam if replying by email
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Stuart Noble contains these words:

Why doesn't Firefox close like any other program when you click on the
X? I have to remember to minimise it instead, or go through the "end
process" routine when trying to re-open it.

Mine's done that a couple of times, but generally it's very well
behaved. Never lost my bookmarks, either.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Guy King wrote:
The message
from Stuart Noble contains these
words:

Why doesn't Firefox close like any other program when you click on
the X? I have to remember to minimise it instead, or go through the
"end process" routine when trying to re-open it.

Mine's done that a couple of times,

usually happens when java hasn't let go of the ff application.

but generally it's very well behaved. Never lost my bookmarks, either.

I have, once, and my mums pc has, several times. I tracked her issue down to
me telling her to use the fast switch off option on her particular pc. since I've
taught her how to shut down it's not happened. known issue, apparently.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...
Whats the .dbx file called for the bookmarks?

I'm peed orf losing my bookmarks when it decides to take a wobbler.

TA

Opera doesn't throw wobblers, and it's free nowadays.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote:
Whats the .dbx file called for the bookmarks?
I'm peed orf losing my bookmarks when it decides to take a wobbler.

Its under a path along the lines of this (this is where mine is)

C:\Documents and Settings\Colin Wilson\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox \Profiles\(some stupid directory name) - mine is
"m5s0guyp.default"

Why not simply export them to another directory somewhere from time to
time ?

I thought it was this?

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\Bookmarks.html

Thanks for all replies.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. wrote:
Guy King wrote:
The message
from Stuart Noble contains these
words:

Why doesn't Firefox close like any other program when you click on
the X? I have to remember to minimise it instead, or go through the
"end process" routine when trying to re-open it.

Mine's done that a couple of times,

usually happens when java hasn't let go of the ff application.

but generally it's very well behaved. Never lost my bookmarks, either.

I have, once, and my mums pc has, several times. I tracked her issue down to
me telling her to use the fast switch off option on her particular pc. since I've
taught her how to shut down it's not happened. known issue, apparently.

Why do these "known issues" persist I wonder. I've never lost bookmarks
but not being able to close it is a pain. Not enough of one to go back
to IE though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Stuart Noble wrote:
. wrote:
Guy King wrote:
The message
from Stuart Noble contains these
words:

Why doesn't Firefox close like any other program when you click on
the X? I have to remember to minimise it instead, or go through the
"end process" routine when trying to re-open it.
Mine's done that a couple of times,

usually happens when java hasn't let go of the ff application.

but generally it's very well behaved. Never lost my bookmarks,
either.

I have, once, and my mums pc has, several times. I tracked her issue
down to me telling her to use the fast switch off option on her particular
pc. since I've taught her how to shut down it's not happened. known
issue, apparently.

Why do these "known issues" persist I wonder.

they don't.

I've never lost bookmarks

me neither, there is a way of recovering them.

but not being able to close it is a pain.

that'll be java, embedded or otherwise.

Not enough of one to go back
to IE though.

agreed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

Why doesn't Firefox close like any other program when you click on the
X? I have to remember to minimise it instead, or go through the "end
process" routine when trying to re-open it.

Usually it does - but just occasionally it seems to leave some bits behind
when you close it - and that's when the problem occurs.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its under a path along the lines of this (this is where mine is)
C:\Documents and Settings\Colin Wilson\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox \Profiles\(some stupid directory name) - mine is
"m5s0guyp.default"

I thought it was this?
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\Bookmarks.html

If you have problems, you may find you also have to delete the directory
in the path I mentioned - it stores multiple copies of some data !

This has resolved a problem I had once following an automatic upgrade,
and one my colleagues had with Thunderbird remembering incorrect email
password info.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Opera.

On 21 Jul 2006 10:39:03 -0700, "Weatherlawyer"
wrote:

Doki wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...
Whats the .dbx file called for the bookmarks?

I'm peed orf losing my bookmarks when it decides to take a wobbler.

TA

Opera doesn't throw wobblers, and it's free nowadays.

And brilliant. It puts Firefox in the shade.

Nah my opera crashes almost as often as firefox and IE.
Must be due a reformat maybe.

I've got a bookmark page of all my really useful daily used bookmarks
- make it start page and you're away!

Get https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1122/ to help prevent crash
problems and save the bookmarks once in a while to a CD with Bookmarks
Manage Bookmarks File Export.

The same thing for Opera. Opera will automatically import the bookmarks
from Firefox and Independent Exterminator. It has several standard
features that made it a must have for me, as it opens the last tabs I
had open last time I used it. And it has a notepad written into it that
copies straight from a webpage.

If you haven't already got used to Firefox don't bother. Just get Opera.

--
Get away from it all
http://www.travelfreebies.co.uk/thomson-holidays.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've got a bookmark page of all my really useful daily used bookmarks
- make it start page and you're away!

I suppose one of these days i`m going to have to reinvent the wheel and
write a bookmark conversion app...

I`ve already got a couple of daft ones to rip the bookmarks from Opera
and Firefox to a text file - I could just do with automating the process
back into Opera or Firefox from the other :-}

I only tend to write them in QBasic, so they`re a little restricted as
filenames go (you need to rename them and have the bookmarks in a
particular path), but it takes about 0.05 seconds to do my ~2230
bookmarks under 110 directories (I suppose I should build in a timer
just to check)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Weatherlawyer wrote:
Opera doesn't throw wobblers, and it's free nowadays.

And brilliant. It puts Firefox in the shade.

Get https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1122/ to help prevent crash
problems and save the bookmarks once in a while to a CD with Bookmarks
Manage Bookmarks File Export.

The same thing for Opera. Opera will automatically import the bookmarks
from Firefox and Independent Exterminator.

My ancient RISC OS machine has a separate prog which stores bookmarks from
all my browsers. So if they crash it isn't effected.

--
*My designated driver drove me to drink

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mogga wrote:

Nah my opera crashes almost as often as firefox and IE.
Must be due a reformat maybe.

This is easily solved by installing a no-overhead utility called
crashdoctor.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
Weatherlawyer writes

Doki wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...
Whats the .dbx file called for the bookmarks?

I'm peed orf losing my bookmarks when it decides to take a wobbler.

TA

Opera doesn't throw wobblers, and it's free nowadays.

And brilliant. It puts Firefox in the shade.

Not really, there are just different.

I use both FF and Opera.

Though right now I moslty using Flock - which is built on Firefox.

--
Chris French