Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spendidly whacky!

Steam-powered-bicycle..
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b05c39768170b5
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2017 14:18, Huge wrote:
On 2017-05-08, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Steam-powered-bicycle..
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b05c39768170b5

What a pity he has no indicators, brake lights, lighting or registration
plates or presumably a license or any insurance, all of which are required
for what is essentially a motorcycle.

I wonder if that is actually true though? Electrically assisted bikes
(of power output 250W or under) are exempt, and count as normal pedal
cycles. The rules on other types of powered bikes seem to specifically
cite Internal Combustion Engine bikes (again with relaxations of the
requirements for units of 1kW or less output).

That bike still retains its pedals etc...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-05-08, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Steam-powered-bicycle..
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b05c39768170b5

What a pity he has no indicators, brake lights, lighting or registration
plates or presumably a license or any insurance, all of which are required
for what is essentially a motorcycle.

I wonder if that is actually true though?

Whatever, it sure as **** isn't a HPV any more. It probably shouldn't be
on the roads at all.

Steamrollers etc are certainly a class of road vehicle, ISTR that my
driving license lets me drive one. Traction engines don't normally have
the lighting paraphenalia of cars, don't know about road tax but I bet
they need insurance! I certainly hope so, anyway.

Seems like a fairly harmless eccentric (until he runs into you, I suppose).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-05-08, newshound wrote:

[20 lines snipped]

Seems like a fairly harmless eccentric (until he runs into you, I suppose).

Quite.

Likely to do you far less mischief than your normal arrogant swarm of
high speed Lycra louts...

(not only that, he could probably stop and make a cuppa!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-05-08, newshound wrote:

[20 lines snipped]

Seems like a fairly harmless eccentric (until he runs into you, I suppose).

Quite.

Likely to do you far less mischief than your normal arrogant swarm of
high speed Lycra louts...

(not only that, he could probably stop and make a cuppa!)

Drivers of speciality/historic vehicles have a much better safety record than the average driver.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08-May-17 1:22 PM, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Steam-powered-bicycle..
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b05c39768170b5

I'm fairly sure that I've seen that at a steam rally, unless, of course
there is more than one steam bicycle in the UK.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/17 18:30, Nightjar wrote:
On 08-May-17 1:22 PM, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Steam-powered-bicycle..
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b05c39768170b5

I'm fairly sure that I've seen that at a steam rally, unless, of course
there is more than one steam bicycle in the UK.

Is that Jeremy Corbyns other brother?

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-05-08, newshound wrote:

[20 lines snipped]

Seems like a fairly harmless eccentric (until he runs into you, I
suppose).

Quite.

Likely to do you far less mischief than your normal arrogant swarm of
high speed Lycra louts...

(not only that, he could probably stop and make a cuppa!)

Drivers of speciality/historic vehicles have a

much better safety record than the average driver.

Because hardly any of them use those for their daily commute etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 8 May 2017 19:48:31 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 08/05/2017 17:16, tabbypurr wrote:

Drivers of speciality/historic vehicles have a much better safety record than the average driver.

Statistically, do drivers of speciality/historic vehicles have a better
safety record when driving a more modern 'everyday' car 10,000
miles/annum in typical driving conditions?

I don't know, but I'd expect so. Driving a history piece demands understanding of its many problems & limitations and consistently driving within its limits, and the average driver doesn't know all their car's limitations because they don't meet some of them. With ancient vehicles you get to meet them all soon enough, and develop the necessary paranoid attitude to driving.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Steam-powered-bicycle..
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b05c39768170b5

Is there any way to post an URL that will open in Australia?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
On 08-May-17 1:22 PM, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Steam-powered-bicycle..
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b05c39768170b5

I'm fairly sure that I've seen that at a steam rally, unless, of course
there is more than one steam bicycle in the UK.

Put steam powered bicycle in google, find heaps.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

FMurtz wrote:

Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Steam-powered-bicycle..

Is there any way to post an URL that will open in Australia?

Here he is from 2008 ...

https://youtu.be/RX5T73DfS9s
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2017 12:49, FMurtz wrote:
Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Steam-powered-bicycle..
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b05c39768170b5

Is there any way to post an URL that will open in Australia?

Don't know... but there's a page of Google hits here
https://goo.gl/UmlLjN

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 May 2017 00:47:02 UTC+1, wrote:
On Monday, 8 May 2017 19:48:31 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 08/05/2017 17:16, tabbypurr wrote:

Drivers of speciality/historic vehicles have a much better safety record than the average driver.

Statistically, do drivers of speciality/historic vehicles have a better
safety record when driving a more modern 'everyday' car 10,000
miles/annum in typical driving conditions?

I don't know, but I'd expect so. Driving a history piece demands understanding of its many problems & limitations and consistently driving within its limits, and the average driver doesn't know all their car's limitations because they don't meet some of them. With ancient vehicles you get to meet them all soon enough, and develop the necessary paranoid attitude to driving.

You're hardly likely to get a tractor or steam roller driver breaking many speed limits even if they could. Never heard of a steamroller needing a rollbar for protection or having ABS brakes, but I'm not sure if that means the actual driver won't have or cause an accident in their own car.
They might even cause more if they are only used to driving at 10MPH taking a corner at 30 MPH might be too much for them to handle depending on the car of course, but I doubt they'll know the ins and outs of their car any more than anyone else just because they drive a tractor at work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 May 2017 00:47:02 UTC+1, wrote:
On Monday, 8 May 2017 19:48:31 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 08/05/2017 17:16, tabbypurr wrote:

Drivers of speciality/historic vehicles have a much better safety record than the average driver.

Statistically, do drivers of speciality/historic vehicles have a better
safety record when driving a more modern 'everyday' car 10,000
miles/annum in typical driving conditions?

I don't know, but I'd expect so. Driving a history piece demands understanding of its many problems & limitations and consistently driving within its limits, and the average driver doesn't know all their car's limitations because they don't meet some of them. With ancient vehicles you get to meet them all soon enough, and develop the necessary paranoid attitude to driving.

NT

Your average driver to day knows absolutely nothing about motor cars.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2017 17:05, harry wrote:
[...]

You don't need to now much these days.
About the only thing you do need to know is how to do the tyres and top
up the washers.
The computer monitors the rest.
Also the cars are far more reliable than they were 20 years ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 May 2017 00:47:02 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a recipe for accidents. And indeed there are many accidents due to failure to understand mechanics and physics. Stamping on the brake pedal when a car starts skidding is a classic.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Then you need to get those ears tested, BAD, given that
car fatalitys keep dropping every year even tho the number
of cars on the roads is always higher than it ever was.

And indeed there are many accidents due to
failure to understand mechanics and physics.

And yet car fatalitys keep dropping every year even tho the
number of cars on the roads is always higher than it ever was.

Stamping on the brake pedal when
a car starts skidding is a classic.

Thats why we have ABS brakes, stupid.

OT Whacky UK (3) harry Home Repair 2 September 15th 10 08:33 PM
OT Whacky UK harry Home Repair 3 September 10th 10 08:10 PM
OT Whacky UK harry Home Repair 0 September 10th 10 09:03 AM
OT Whacky one from the UK for y'all. harry Home Repair 2 September 8th 10 12:11 AM
TV going whacky - Fix, or Replace? [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 December 5th 06 01:42 PM