Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [Power] Offshore gas storage plant caused hundreds of mini-earthquakes across Spanish coast

Interesting.

"Spain will not reopen a giant underwater gas storage facility in the
Mediterranean because of the risk that it could trigger earthquakes if
it resumes operations, the government said on Wednesday"

"The government suspended the injection of gas into the Castor storage
plant in the Gulf of Valencia in September 2013 just months after it
started operating, following hundreds of minor earthquakes in the area"

https://www.thelocal.es/20170504/ove...-plant-caused-
hundreds-of-mini-earthquakes-across-spanish-med

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/17 05:31, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Interesting.

"Spain will not reopen a giant underwater gas storage facility in the
Mediterranean because of the risk that it could trigger earthquakes if
it resumes operations, the government said on Wednesday"

"The government suspended the injection of gas into the Castor storage
plant in the Gulf of Valencia in September 2013 just months after it
started operating, following hundreds of minor earthquakes in the area"

https://www.thelocal.es/20170504/ove...-plant-caused-
hundreds-of-mini-earthquakes-across-spanish-med

The hundreds of mini earthquakes are just the EU shaking in its shoes
post Brexit.

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher used his keyboard to write :
The hundreds of mini earthquakes are just the EU shaking in i its shoes post
Brexit.

:-))
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 6 May 2017 05:32:13 UTC+1, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Interesting.

"Spain will not reopen a giant underwater gas storage facility in the
Mediterranean because of the risk that it could trigger earthquakes if
it resumes operations, the government said on Wednesday"

"The government suspended the injection of gas into the Castor storage
plant in the Gulf of Valencia in September 2013 just months after it
started operating, following hundreds of minor earthquakes in the area"

https://www.thelocal.es/20170504/ove...-plant-caused-
hundreds-of-mini-earthquakes-across-spanish-med

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rough_(facility)

http://www.centrica-sl.co.uk/sites/d...l_guide_v4.pdf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

That has implications for the schemes to store 'energy' in the form of
compressed gas (natural or otherwise) underground at high pressures.
If the greenies don't like fracking because it risks trivial earth
tremors, they won't like that either. It may also have implications
for carbon capture and storage schemes.

Where would the world be if greenies had been around during the
industrial revolution? Leaving aside the pollution from burning coal,
they would have objected to mining it in the first place and causing
minor earth tremors

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthquakes/recent_events/ollerton_earthquakes.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/17 08:39, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:

That has implications for the schemes to store 'energy' in the form of
compressed gas (natural or otherwise) underground at high pressures.
If the greenies don't like fracking because it risks trivial earth
tremors, they won't like that either. It may also have implications
for carbon capture and storage schemes.

Where would the world be if greenies had been around during the
industrial revolution? Leaving aside the pollution from burning coal,
they would have objected to mining it in the first place and causing
minor earth tremors

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthquakes/recent_events/ollerton_earthquakes.html

ISTR that at the time, people considered that a speed of 30 miles per
hour would instantly kill the occupants of a railway train, but
fortunately they hadn't invented the {Precautionary Principle. We did
have the Red Flag act though.

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Cartoons%20...clegg-flag.jpg

--
€śSome people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of €¨an airplane.€ť

Dennis Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Andy Burns
escribió:

Where would the world be if greenies had been around during the
industrial revolution?

We'd still be wearing loincloths and banging rocks together. And the
greenies'd be complaining about how hard it to light a fire to cook
their tofu.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well there is a thing. Do I assume then that the mechanism of this problem
is now understood, when I first read about this some years ago, it said
engineers were mystified.

Mind you at least its not like that crackpot idea for the 60s of setting off
underground nuclear bombs and then when radiation dies down filling the
voided with water to irrigate the desert and numerous other similar ideas. I
think they now realise that the radiation does not decay as fast as it was
hoped at the time. There are however in the US lots of these underground
voids still in existence not a million miles from Las Vagas.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

Interesting.

"Spain will not reopen a giant underwater gas storage facility in the
Mediterranean because of the risk that it could trigger earthquakes if
it resumes operations, the government said on Wednesday"

"The government suspended the injection of gas into the Castor storage
plant in the Gulf of Valencia in September 2013 just months after it
started operating, following hundreds of minor earthquakes in the area"

https://www.thelocal.es/20170504/ove...-plant-caused-
hundreds-of-mini-earthquakes-across-spanish-med

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West

Posted to uk.d-i-y

around here there was a lot of quarrying of clay for bricks. all have been
filled in and built on now. A few years ago a resident not far from here
felt a rumble and her front porch and a bit of her front garden went down a
hole. the side of the road went down in a dent as well.
Tis as one might have expected was due to subsidence due to the collapse
of part of the quarry due to water from the land. The houses it appears were
built on a large raft of concrete and yet the gardens and roads were not,
hence the problem. I've not been down there for a while but I understand the
road is once again dropping.
I do feel that we humans are not as clever as we think we are. Its either
that or its just make do and mend. I suspect with the current rush to
build again more of this will occur in the future as things are built on
inappropriate land, from flooding to sinc holes will abound.
Brian

--
----- -

"harry" wrote in message
On Saturday, 6 May 2017 05:32:13 UTC+1, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Interesting.

"Spain will not reopen a giant underwater gas storage facility in the
Mediterranean because of the risk that it could trigger earthquakes if
it resumes operations, the government said on Wednesday"

"The government suspended the injection of gas into the Castor storage
plant in the Gulf of Valencia in September 2013 just months after it
started operating, following hundreds of minor earthquakes in the area"

https://www.thelocal.es/20170504/ove...-plant-caused-
hundreds-of-mini-earthquakes-across-spanish-med

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rough_(facility)

http://www.centrica-sl.co.uk/sites/d...l_guide_v4.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message news

Actually I think they were around back then, its just that everyone who
might take any notice was looking at the pound signs and exploitation of
the population. Seem familiar?
Brian

If only. There wouldn't be any population left to be exploited.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/17 09:46, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well there is a thing. Do I assume then that the mechanism of this problem
is now understood, when I first read about this some years ago, it said
engineers were mystified.

Mind you at least its not like that crackpot idea for the 60s of setting off
underground nuclear bombs and then when radiation dies down filling the
voided with water to irrigate the desert and numerous other similar ideas. I
think they now realise that the radiation does not decay as fast as it was
hoped at the time. There are however in the US lots of these underground
voids still in existence not a million miles from Las Vagas.

Brian

Actually radiation does decay as fast as they hoped it would, They were
not that stupid.

What they didn't take into account was the half life and persistence of
*fear* of radiation, which outlasts any residual radioactivity by a
factor of 100:1 or more.

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote
Chris Hogg wrote

That has implications for the schemes to store 'energy' in the form of
compressed gas (natural or otherwise) underground at high pressures. If
the greenies don't like fracking because it risks trivial earth tremors,
they won't like that either. It may also have implications for carbon
capture and storage schemes.

Where would the world be if greenies had been around during the industrial
revolution?

They were, they were called luddites then.

Leaving aside the pollution from burning coal, they would have objected to
mining it in the first place and causing minor earth tremors

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthquakes/recent_events/ollerton_earthquakes.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
[...]

Hardly abound. There arent all that many mines and quarrys now abandoned.

Plenty more natural viods that produce sink holes.