Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Worcester Bosch boiler - EA fault code

Hi

Our Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30 CDi system boiler is intermittently giving an EA fault code. The boiler is not under cover.

British Gas charges £99 + £22pm repair and cover, making a total of £363 to repair and cover the whole system for a year, including service.

Is that a sensible outlay or should I try a local plumber to do the repair? As I don't know the reason for the fault, it could be simple or expensive to repair and I need a service anyway. So perhaps the British Gas offer is sensible?

Best regards

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 10:05:45 AM UTC+1, wrote:
Hi

Our Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30 CDi system boiler is intermittently giving an EA fault code. The boiler is not under cover.

British Gas charges £99 + £22pm repair and cover, making a total of £363 to repair and cover the whole system for a year, including service.

Is that a sensible outlay or should I try a local plumber to do the repair? As I don't know the reason for the fault, it could be simple or expensive to repair and I need a service anyway. So perhaps the British Gas offer is sensible?

Best regards

David

I would always go for the local man.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 May 2017 02:05:43 -0700, davidandbella wrote:

Hi

Our Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30 CDi system boiler is intermittently
giving an EA fault code. The boiler is not under cover.

British Gas charges £99 + £22pm repair and cover, making a total of £363
to repair and cover the whole system for a year, including service.

We had a fairly serious fault on our WB a couple of years ago. I think WB
themselves they charged about £260 for a similar deal. And I'd rather
deal with them than BG anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
So perhaps the British Gas offer is sensible?

IMHO, a BG offer is never sensible. It can always be beaten.

--
*Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2017 10:32, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 01 May 2017 02:05:43 -0700, davidandbella wrote:

Hi

Our Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30 CDi system boiler is intermittently
giving an EA fault code. The boiler is not under cover.

British Gas charges £99 + £22pm repair and cover, making a total of £363
to repair and cover the whole system for a year, including service.

We had a fairly serious fault on our WB a couple of years ago. I think WB
themselves they charged about £260 for a similar deal. And I'd rather
deal with them than BG anyway.

+1. WB will usually have the part on the van, so it's just the one
visit. BG have been known to bugger people about
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 May 2017 14:32:29 +0100, Stuart Noble wrote:

On 01/05/2017 10:32, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 01 May 2017 02:05:43 -0700, davidandbella wrote:

Hi

Our Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30 CDi system boiler is intermittently
giving an EA fault code. The boiler is not under cover.

British Gas charges £99 + £22pm repair and cover, making a total of
£363 to repair and cover the whole system for a year, including
service.

We had a fairly serious fault on our WB a couple of years ago. I think
WB themselves they charged about £260 for a similar deal. And I'd
rather deal with them than BG anyway.

+1. WB will usually have the part on the van, so it's just the one
visit. BG have been known to bugger people about

In our case, it was a leaking seal and the gases had damaged a number of
bits including the wiring harness. He had all the bits with him, and it
took 3.5 hours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

In article ,
wrote:
So perhaps the British Gas offer is sensible?

IMHO, a BG offer is never sensible. It can always be beaten.

Bit like you then. Never sensible and should always be beaten.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
It really is the luck of the draw. Parts are unreasonably pricey so your
local man won't be able undercut the manufacturer in the event of a PCB
or heat exchanger replacement. Then again, it might be a 5 minute job
for the local guy. Luck of the draw, as I say.

Your local man might know to source a re-con PCB etc from the likes of
Geoff on here for a fraction of the cost of a new one. BG certainly won't.

--
*Save the whale - I'll have it for my supper*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 May 2017 00:44:11 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Your local man might know to source a re-con PCB etc from the
likes of Geoff on here for a fraction of the cost of a new one.
BG certainly won't.

A recon PCB? What do they do, give it a quick wash and hope, or
replace all the caps, chips and thoroughly test? Any links for such
enterprises? Certainly not a diy task.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mechanic wrote:

A recon PCB? What do they do, give it a quick wash and hope, or
replace all the caps, chips and thoroughly test? Any links for such
enterprises? Certainly not a diy task.

http://www.cetltd.com

I'm sure Geoff is well aware which parts he needs to keep like-for-like,
ISTR he used to mention cases where he wished he could substitute better
replacements, but couldn't as that would be deemed a "change".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2017 11:16, Andy Burns wrote:
mechanic wrote:

A recon PCB? What do they do, give it a quick wash and hope, or
replace all the caps, chips and thoroughly test? Any links for such
enterprises? Certainly not a diy task.

http://www.cetltd.com

I'm sure Geoff is well aware which parts he needs to keep like-for-like,
ISTR he used to mention cases where he wished he could substitute better
replacements, but couldn't as that would be deemed a "change".

---
http://www.avg.com

Thumbs up to CET ltd. My Potterton Netaheat that I installed in 1989
has only had one recon PCB (£50) from CETltd about 8/9 years ago and one
flame guard (£2.50). I guess I will have to bite the bullet soon though
and get a new boiler!

Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mechanic wrote:
On Tue, 02 May 2017 00:44:11 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Your local man might know to source a re-con PCB etc from the
likes of Geoff on here for a fraction of the cost of a new one.
BG certainly won't.

A recon PCB? What do they do, give it a quick wash and hope, or
replace all the caps, chips and thoroughly test? Any links for such
enterprises? Certainly not a diy task.

It's very unlikely the entire PCB will fail. There will usually be a weak
point which does. Possibly a relay or a cap. And anyone half decent who
supplies exchange boards will of course test them before sending out.

BTW, a DIY fix may well be possible if you have the skills. Same as with
so much else. Makers aren't interested in service costs so will generally
just supply a complete new one.

I had a leak in my Viessmann boiler - a hose split. The water spilled onto
the gas valve and blew a fuse on the PCB. That fuse wasn't replaceable by
a service engineer since it was soldered. Only option was a new PCB at
hundreds of squids. The fuse cost under 10p.

Many PCBs wouldn't have such a fuse, so something else might have failed.
Seemed odd to me they went to the effort of fitting fuses which in theory
couldn't be replaced.

--
*Frustration is trying to find your glasses without your glasses.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 May 2017 13:32:37 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
mechanic wrote:
[...]

The fuse is to satisfy the issue of safety, specifically that of fire
hazard. This philosophy of regarding the whole unit as 'scrap' when the
soldered in fuse blows is all fine and dandy with regard to a cheap
commodity ATX PSU in a desktop computer. In this case, whatever caused
the fuse to blow will cost many times the retail price of a whole new
unit just to effect a repair.

However, this argument simply doesn't wash when it comes to the over-
priced controller boards used in domestic CH/HW boilers where, at the
very least, a cost effective service exchange option should apply.

A soldered in fuse only makes it a non end user servicable part. It's
usually fairly trivial to solder in a replacement wire ended fuse of the
correct rating once the cause of the fault has been dealt with by someone
qualified, one way or another, to effect such repairs whether a paid
professional or a knowledgeable DIY enthusiast.

The soldered in fuse on the controller board itself will hopefully
provide better protection against harm to more expensive heavy duty
components relying on a heavier duty 3 or 5 amp main fuse to protect the
whole installation from conflagration.

A blown half amp circuit board fuse should at least have protected the
circuit board itself from damage, requiring only replacement components
without any need to repair blown circuit tracks as well. A soldered in
fuse is a damn sight better than no fuse at all (other than for the
obligatory 3 amp FCU fuse (which can so easily be substituted with a 13A
fuse cartridge by a less than careful user) intended primarily to protect
the permanent mains wiring connection to said FCU rather than the CH
system components and wiring).

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
mechanic wrote:
[...]

any decent "Engineer" would have a soldering iron in his tool box and would
have replaced the fuse. otherwise why would you be able to buy such fuses
from CPC - amongst other places?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mechanic wrote:

A recon PCB? What do they do, give it a quick wash and hope, or
replace all the caps, chips and thoroughly test? Any links for such
enterprises? Certainly not a diy task.

http://www.cetltd.com

I'm sure Geoff is well aware which parts he needs to keep like-for-like,
ISTR he used to mention cases where he wished he could substitute better
replacements, but couldn't as that would be deemed a "change".

He can use higher quality components (and he does), but he is not
allowed to modify the circuitry.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
I had a leak in my Viessmann boiler - a hose split. The water spilled
onto the gas valve and blew a fuse on the PCB. That fuse wasn't
replaceable by a service engineer since it was soldered.

any decent "Engineer" would have a soldering iron in his tool box and
would have replaced the fuse. otherwise why would you be able to buy
such fuses from CPC - amongst other places?

I doubt the average boiler service engineer carries a soldering iron.

The type of fuse used is an industry standard. But even I had to order
some in.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mechanic" wrote in message
On Tue, 02 May 2017 00:44:11 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Your local man might know to source a re-con PCB etc from the
likes of Geoff on here for a fraction of the cost of a new one.
BG certainly won't.

A recon PCB? What do they do, give it a quick wash and hope,

Nope.

or replace all the caps, chips and thoroughly test?

Nope.

Replaced what has failed and what is known to fail with that PCB.

Any links for such enterprises? Certainly not a diy task.

Corse it is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
I had a leak in my Viessmann boiler - a hose split. The water spilled
onto the gas valve and blew a fuse on the PCB. That fuse wasn't
replaceable by a service engineer since it was soldered.

any decent "Engineer" would have a soldering iron in his tool box and
would have replaced the fuse. otherwise why would you be able to buy
such fuses from CPC - amongst other places?

I doubt the average boiler service engineer carries a soldering iron.

You're right he probably doesn't know what one is - but then he's not an
engineer

The type of fuse used is an industry standard. But even I had to order
some in.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
I had a leak in my Viessmann boiler - a hose split. The water spilled
onto the gas valve and blew a fuse on the PCB. That fuse wasn't
replaceable by a service engineer since it was soldered.

any decent "Engineer" would have a soldering iron in his tool box and
would have replaced the fuse. otherwise why would you be able to buy
such fuses from CPC - amongst other places?

I doubt the average boiler service engineer carries a soldering iron.

You're right he probably doesn't know what one is - but then he's not an
engineer

Hard to find these days, Charles. Like motor mechanics they are more just
fitters. Fixing things at component level is a dying art. But to be fair,
I'd not want to work at component level on a kitchen etc floor. ;-)

The type of fuse used is an industry standard. But even I had to order
some in.

--
*When the going gets tough, use duct tape