Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DVD drive not reading discs

This is a Thinkpad T430, running W10 32 bit. The DVD drive is listed,
but discs cannot be read. Tried various home made and commercial disks,
which used to work. The head is parked where it should be, and moves
freely. Laser has been gently cleaned. The drive LED flashes, and
drive 'clicks' as expected.

Tried searching for a new driver, uninstalling and reinstalling, and the
Windows Troubleshooter, rebooting after each operation. Still nothing.

This *may* have happened after the last Windows upgrade, but not sure.

Any bright ideas?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/17 17:37, jim wrote:
Graeme Wrote in message:

This is a Thinkpad T430, running W10 32 bit. The DVD drive is listed,
but discs cannot be read. Tried various home made and commercial disks,
which used to work. The head is parked where it should be, and moves
freely. Laser has been gently cleaned. The drive LED flashes, and
drive 'clicks' as expected.

Tried searching for a new driver, uninstalling and reinstalling, and the
Windows Troubleshooter, rebooting after each operation. Still nothing.

This *may* have happened after the last Windows upgrade, but not sure.

Any bright ideas?

how old?

Lazy laser time?

shove in a live DVD of say linux and boot from it.

If it boots, the drive is OK. and the issue is in the windows software

If it doesn't, get a new drive or laptop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , jim
writes
Graeme Wrote in message:

This is a Thinkpad T430, running W10 32 bit. The DVD drive is listed,
but discs cannot be read. Tried various home made and commercial disks,
which used to work. The head is parked where it should be, and moves
freely. Laser has been gently cleaned. The drive LED flashes, and
drive 'clicks' as expected.

Tried searching for a new driver, uninstalling and reinstalling, and the
Windows Troubleshooter, rebooting after each operation. Still nothing.

This *may* have happened after the last Windows upgrade, but not sure.

Any bright ideas?

how old?

Lazy laser time?

Does it boot from a live Linux disk?
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Graeme Wrote in message:

This is a Thinkpad T430, running W10 32 bit. The DVD drive is listed,
but discs cannot be read. Tried various home made and commercial disks,
which used to work. The head is parked where it should be, and moves
freely. Laser has been gently cleaned. The drive LED flashes, and
drive 'clicks' as expected.

Tried searching for a new driver, uninstalling and reinstalling, and the
Windows Troubleshooter, rebooting after each operation. Still nothing.

This *may* have happened after the last Windows upgrade, but not sure.

Any bright ideas?

how old?

Lazy laser time?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 17:37:51 +0100 (GMT+01:00), jim k wrote:

Graeme Wrote in message:

This is a Thinkpad T430, running W10 32 bit. The DVD drive is listed,
but discs cannot be read. Tried various home made and commercial disks,
which used to work. The head is parked where it should be, and moves
freely. Laser has been gently cleaned. The drive LED flashes, and
drive 'clicks' as expected.

Tried searching for a new driver, uninstalling and reinstalling, and the
Windows Troubleshooter, rebooting after each operation. Still nothing.

This *may* have happened after the last Windows upgrade, but not sure.

Any bright ideas?

how old?

Lazy laser time?

Yes, I would think so. Sometimes they retain the ability to play audio
CDs.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme Wrote in message:

This is a Thinkpad T430, running W10 32 bit. The DVD drive is listed,
but discs cannot be read. Tried various home made and commercial
disks,
which used to work. The head is parked where it should be, and moves
freely. Laser has been gently cleaned. The drive LED flashes, and
drive 'clicks' as expected.

Tried searching for a new driver, uninstalling and reinstalling, and
the Windows Troubleshooter, rebooting after each operation. Still
nothing.

This *may* have happened after the last Windows upgrade, but not sure.

Any bright ideas?

how old?

Lazy laser time?

Yes, I would think so. Sometimes they retain the ability to play audio
CDs.

Had a strange one recently.

I was writing a full DVD (data). It apparently wrote OK, but then I
compared it back to the image (as I usually do).

The comparison was noisy (lots of motor speed changes) and VERY slow
(about 3-5% of the usual speed).

I checked the DVD on two other drives and it read perfetly at full speed.
So the drive writes OK, but can't read well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/17 15:41, Graeme wrote:

This is a Thinkpad T430, running W10 32 bit. The DVD drive is listed,
but discs cannot be read. Tried various home made and commercial disks,
which used to work. The head is parked where it should be, and moves
freely. Laser has been gently cleaned. The drive LED flashes, and
drive 'clicks' as expected.

Tried searching for a new driver, uninstalling and reinstalling, and the
Windows Troubleshooter, rebooting after each operation. Still nothing.

This *may* have happened after the last Windows upgrade, but not sure.

Any bright ideas?

Out of interest, what does it do with CDs - data or audio?

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jeff Layman
writes

Out of interest, what does it do with CDs - data or audio?

Sadly, nothing :-(

I have tried a selection of CDs and DVDs, home made and commercial, but
none will play. I think the drive must be dead even though the
transport side seems to be working OK. I am using Windows DVD Player
and VLC.

I tried booting from an Ubuntu disc, but that did not work, either.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

Jeff Layman wrote:

Out of interest, what does it do with CDs - data or audio?

Sadly, nothing :-(

Happily DVD drives are available on ebay for less than the price of a pint

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Usually the problem is to be able to get one for a specific laptop.
sometimes laptop drives can be fitted into the existing plastic bit from the
laptop, but I've seen these sealed so that if the manufacturer does not
supply spares then you are stuffed unless yu fancy brain surgery on the
plastic housing.
B Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Graeme wrote:

Jeff Layman wrote:

Out of interest, what does it do with CDs - data or audio?

Sadly, nothing :-(

Happily DVD drives are available on ebay for less than the price of a pint

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Graeme wrote:

Jeff Layman wrote:

Out of interest, what does it do with CDs - data or audio?

Sadly, nothing :-(

Happily DVD drives are available on ebay for less than the price of a pint

A slight exaggeration, but there are several listed for less than 20
quid, so that may have to be the way forward.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/17 09:00, Graeme wrote:
In message , Jeff Layman
writes

Out of interest, what does it do with CDs - data or audio?

Sadly, nothing :-(

I have tried a selection of CDs and DVDs, home made and commercial, but
none will play. I think the drive must be dead even though the
transport side seems to be working OK. I am using Windows DVD Player
and VLC.

I tried booting from an Ubuntu disc, but that did not work, either.

I think you've run through all the possibilities. Looks to me as though
you need a new drive. If you can't get a direct replacement, would a
USB-connected DVD drive be an option?

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Happily DVD drives are available on ebay for less than the price of a pint

A slight exaggeration, but there are several listed for less than 20
quid, so that may have to be the way forward.

OK, didn't see that it was a laptop, but still less than a Norwegian pint!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=UJ8C2+UJ8e2+SVF152+UJ272q&_udhi=10

Check if the Dell GT10N is suitable, seems even cheaper, also GT33N.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 09:22:15 +0100, Graeme
wrote:

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Graeme wrote:

Jeff Layman wrote:

Out of interest, what does it do with CDs - data or audio?

Sadly, nothing :-(

Happily DVD drives are available on ebay for less than the price of a pint

A slight exaggeration, but there are several listed for less than 20
quid, so that may have to be the way forward.

Would you happen to have an old / spare laptop that had a suitable
interface (SATA / PATA) interface that you could try in there before
buying anything (although the odds are that it is the drive). If it
was from another laptop you often just need to swap a bracket and
faceplate and away you go?

The optical drives are often only held in with one screw from
underneath so can be quick and easy to do the substitution test?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 09:07:28 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Graeme wrote:

Jeff Layman wrote:

Out of interest, what does it do with CDs - data or audio?

Sadly, nothing :-(

Happily DVD drives are available on ebay for less than the price of a
pint

A bit more for laptop drives. And sometimes (9.5mm) quite a lot more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2017 09:29, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 21/04/17 09:00, Graeme wrote:
In message , Jeff Layman
writes

Out of interest, what does it do with CDs - data or audio?

Sadly, nothing :-(

I have tried a selection of CDs and DVDs, home made and commercial, but
none will play. I think the drive must be dead even though the
transport side seems to be working OK. I am using Windows DVD Player
and VLC.

Focus or tracking servo has most likely failed then.

I tried booting from an Ubuntu disc, but that did not work, either.

I think you've run through all the possibilities. Looks to me as though
you need a new drive. If you can't get a direct replacement, would a
USB-connected DVD drive be an option?

Unless you are good at dismantling laptops and have the right tools that
might be best. There are some available for under a tenner though
probably around the £20 mark might be wiser if you value your data.

Write once and read never drives are a nuisance for backups. As are
drives that write media such that only they can read them afterwards.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/17 09:22, Graeme wrote:
In message , Andy Burns
writes
Graeme wrote:

Jeff Layman wrote:

Out of interest, what does it do with CDs - data or audio?

Sadly, nothing :-(

Happily DVD drives are available on ebay for less than the price of a
pint

A slight exaggeration, but there are several listed for less than 20
quid, so that may have to be the way forward.

USB DVD drives are handy but you may be able to replace the internal drive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-SAT...-/231966530318
or
http://www.trusthardware.co.uk/lenov...drive-iii.html

Is what you want (ultrabay is the key phrase - very thin). Not cheap.

Usually a couple of screws hold the drive in and it just unplugs and can
be removed

Oh.

This video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2-SN9HPwh0
(33-45 seconds)

shows it being removed by just sliding a latch and it can be pushed out.

ALWAYS PULL THE BATTERY OUT FIRST.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/17 09:50, Andy Burns wrote:
Graeme wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Happily DVD drives are available on ebay for less than the price of a
pint

A slight exaggeration, but there are several listed for less than 20
quid, so that may have to be the way forward.

OK, didn't see that it was a laptop, but still less than a Norwegian pint!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=UJ8C2+UJ8e2+SVF152+UJ272q&_udhi=10

Check if the Dell GT10N is suitable, seems even cheaper, also GT33N.

Be VERY careful - you need a 9.5mm thick drive and its probably worth
buying the exact part.

There are a couple of used ones at a fiver on ebay but I dont think they
are exactly the same

Of course since removing it is so easy maybe a bit of TLC with a cotton
bud and some alcohol on the optics might fix it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/17 11:00, Martin Brown wrote:
On 21/04/2017 09:29, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 21/04/17 09:00, Graeme wrote:
In message , Jeff Layman
writes

Out of interest, what does it do with CDs - data or audio?

Sadly, nothing :-(

I have tried a selection of CDs and DVDs, home made and commercial, but
none will play. I think the drive must be dead even though the
transport side seems to be working OK. I am using Windows DVD Player
and VLC.

Focus or tracking servo has most likely failed then.

I tried booting from an Ubuntu disc, but that did not work, either.

I think you've run through all the possibilities. Looks to me as though
you need a new drive. If you can't get a direct replacement, would a
USB-connected DVD drive be an option?

Unless you are good at dismantling laptops

The T430 doesn't need dismantling to get the drive out.

And even if it did, most laptops are 'battery out, remove a few screws,
back off, extract drive'

and have the right tools

A philips screwdriver?

that
might be best. There are some available for under a tenner though
probably around the £20 mark might be wiser if you value your data.

Write once and read never drives are a nuisance for backups. As are
drives that write media such that only they can read them afterwards.

I spent a long time looking at videos on how to dismantle my laptop -
power socket and one USB socket damaged when it fell on the floor.

In the end it took about 5 minutes to replace two subassemblies..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

OK, didn't see that it was a laptop, but still less than a Norwegian pint!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=UJ8C2+UJ8e2+SVF152+UJ272q&_udhi=10
Check if the Dell GT10N is suitable, seems even cheaper, also GT33N.

Be VERY careful - you need a 9.5mm thick drive

Yes, but it doesn't take much /that/ much research to find which model
drives are suitable replacements for which laptops.

and its probably worth buying the exact part.

If you're not sure, then it's the safe option.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2-SN9HPwh0

shows it being removed by just sliding a latch and it can be pushed out.

Yes, I had worked that out myself.

ALWAYS PULL THE BATTERY OUT FIRST.

Bugger ...
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 11:00:27 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

I think you've run through all the possibilities. Looks to me as though
you need a new drive. If you can't get a direct replacement, would a
USB-connected DVD drive be an option?

Unless you are good at dismantling laptops and have the right tools that
might be best. There are some available for under a tenner though
probably around the £20 mark might be wiser if you value your data.

Many ThinkPads require the removal of a single external screw. Slide the
drive out, slide the new one in, do up screw.

Job done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

Be VERY careful - you need a 9.5mm thick drive and its probably worth
buying the exact part.

Hmm. Just looking at eBay item 152361944938 which quotes a 12.7 mm
drive for the T430. There is a T430s which I think is a slimline model,
and perhaps that takes a 9mm drive? Mine is T430 not T430s.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 11:00:27 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

I think you've run through all the possibilities. Looks to me as though
you need a new drive. If you can't get a direct replacement, would a
USB-connected DVD drive be an option?

Unless you are good at dismantling laptops and have the right tools that
might be best. There are some available for under a tenner though
probably around the £20 mark might be wiser if you value your data.

Many ThinkPads require the removal of a single external screw. Slide the
drive out, slide the new one in, do up screw.

Many of the more modern laptops don't have any access doors for memory, HDD,
DVD drive. It took me ages on a customer's laptop to undo all the screws
around the edge and in the middle, then remove the keyboard to get at a
couple more screws, and then unclip the bottom panel from the case, simply
in order to remove the HDD so I could copy data off it before restoring the
PC to factory state when it got clobbered by a boot password scammer. It
would have been so much easier with a little access panel secured by a
couple of screws.

Of course the longest part of the job (though one that can be left
unattended) is waiting for Windows to set the file/folder permissions so you
(even as an admin user) can access the c:\users\user folder structure.
Depending on the number of files/folders, it can take upwards of an hour
before Windows will let you read the data.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

Just looking at eBay item 152361944938 which quotes a 12.7 mm drive
for the T430. There is a T430s which I think is a slimline model, and
perhaps that takes a 9mm drive? Mine is T430 not T430s.

What part number is on the dead drive?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 6:18:16 AM UTC+10, Brian Gaff wrote:
Its knackered. When they stop working they often just stop, ie the laser
don't work or the system cannot see the reflections any more. i havd one go
like this on a Dell, a new dvd fixed it.
Brian

--
----- -

"Graeme" wrote in message

This is a Thinkpad T430, running W10 32 bit. The DVD drive is listed, but
discs cannot be read. Tried various home made and commercial disks, which
used to work. The head is parked where it should be, and moves freely.
Laser has been gently cleaned. The drive LED flashes, and drive 'clicks'
as expected.

Tried searching for a new driver, uninstalling and reinstalling, and the
Windows Troubleshooter, rebooting after each operation. Still nothing.

This *may* have happened after the last Windows upgrade, but not sure.

Any bright ideas?
--
Graeme

I have come across a DVD which did not read while there is a healthy noise of the drive motor running. On opening I found a little rubber drive belt (which is part of design to move the disc under the led-laser head) had snapped. It a 25 mm dia rubber ring and I used a rubber band of the size to try and it worked. Caution: you may ahave to dismantle the laser head with its plastic mounting to get to the rubber belt, When putting the thing back the laser head alignment may need adjustment, a simple matter of a screw adjust mechanism provided therin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jeff Layman
writes

I think you've run through all the possibilities. Looks to me as though
you need a new drive. If you can't get a direct replacement, would a
USB-connected DVD drive be an option?

Yes. Just been digging through my boxes of treasures and found an
external USB powered drive which works, so that has solved the immediate
problem. Also looked at Wifey's laptop, but here drive is different.
Was hoping I could nick hers without her noticing - she never plays DVDs
:-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Graeme wrote:

Just looking at eBay item 152361944938 which quotes a 12.7 mm drive
for the T430. There is a T430s which I think is a slimline model, and
perhaps that takes a 9mm drive? Mine is T430 not T430s.

What part number is on the dead drive?

There are countless numbers and references, but it is described as
Lenovo DVD Multi III, and has the Drive P/N 45N7666.

There is also FRU P/N 04X4678
ASM P/N SDX0E53148
Model GT80N
Manufactured October 2013
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

What part number is on the dead drive?

GT80N

That's probably the easiest one to search ebay/amazon with, and there
are several there, some of those listings will include alternative part
numbers, such as the ones I listed, so search for those too - if the
plastics are fine on yours you might be able to go for one without the
bezel and get it cheaper if fewer people want that ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Martin Brown '''newspam''
escribió:

Write once and read never drives are a nuisance for backups

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y

r if you value your data.

[...]

I took the 11 screws out of my Toshiba satellite laptop to fix a seized hinge (common problem). Now it drops screws as they work loose so I got a box of them to keep it going.
Access to disks, bypassing permission problems, is a lot easier if Win10 is started in safe mode. They don't make that as easy as it used to be in XP.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes

GT80N

That's probably the easiest one to search ebay/amazon with, and there
are several there, some of those listings will include alternative part
numbers, such as the ones I listed, so search for those too - if the
plastics are fine on yours you might be able to go for one without the
bezel and get it cheaper if fewer people want that ...

Thank you all for the help and advice. Replacement drive arrived today,
now fitted and working. 12.50 including postage. It arrived with a not
quite the same bezel which had to be changed, and took forever, despite
watching a YouTube video. Just couldn't see the little clips. Anyway,
all done and dusted now.

Thanks!
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/17 15:39, Graeme wrote:
In message , Andy Burns
writes

GT80N

That's probably the easiest one to search ebay/amazon with, and there
are several there, some of those listings will include alternative
part numbers, such as the ones I listed, so search for those too - if
the plastics are fine on yours you might be able to go for one without
the bezel and get it cheaper if fewer people want that ...

Thank you all for the help and advice. Replacement drive arrived today,
now fitted and working. 12.50 including postage. It arrived with a not
quite the same bezel which had to be changed, and took forever, despite
watching a YouTube video. Just couldn't see the little clips. Anyway,
all done and dusted now.

Thanks!

Give the man a peanut!

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/17 15:39, Graeme wrote:

Thank you all for the help and advice. Replacement drive arrived today,
now fitted and working.

Give the man a peanut!

Well, I was pleased. Delighted, even. Watched the lovely Katherine
Ross in The Stepford Wives last night.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Streater
writes

On 27/04/17 15:39, Graeme wrote:

Thank you all for the help and advice. Replacement drive arrived today,
now fitted and working.

Give the man a peanut!

Well, I was pleased. Delighted, even. Watched the lovely Katherine
Ross in The Stepford Wives last night.

Well done for persevering with that.

I have an AVTEX combination TV - they're big in the caravan/motorhome
world and the DVD player wont play DVDs. Presumably, having followed
this thread it will be the same issue, I've tried running a cleaning
disc - it did play the instructions - but no joy still. Presumably it's
a matter of dismantling trying to identify the make and model and
finding a replacement.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , bert writes

I have an AVTEX combination TV - they're big in the caravan/motorhome
world and the DVD player wont play DVDs. Presumably, having followed
this thread it will be the same issue, I've tried running a cleaning
disc - it did play the instructions - but no joy still. Presumably it's
a matter of dismantling trying to identify the make and model and
finding a replacement.

Interesting that yours played the cleaning disc instructions though. My
PC would not recognise that a disc was in the player, much less play
anything. The PC could see the drive, just not any disc inside.
--
Graeme