Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to get paint off concrete lintels?

Blowtorch? Hot air gun? Chemicals?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/17 02:52, Bill Wright wrote:
Blowtorch? Hot air gun? Chemicals?

Bill

bead blasting
or sand blasting

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/17 02:52, Bill Wright wrote:
Blowtorch? Hot air gun? Chemicals?

Bill

bead blasting
or sand blasting

Which will work well - but create quite a bit of mess and possibly
damage the the frames and pointing (IME of sandblasting).

Also, IME, it would cost a fair bit for a small area. I had asked for a
trial run on a whole house front - total cost £600, trial area £200.
Might be worth it if you're having several done - paint removal is not
one of life's pleasures.

As to an alternative - dunno! I'd be interested too.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
Blowtorch? Hot air gun? Chemicals?

Bill

Wickes paint stripper. Probably a couple of goes and lots of rinsing
with the application of a wire brush. Been tempted by a sandblasting gun
for the compressor, but haven;t used one yet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bits of paint or the whole thing painted?
Sandblasting works quite well but I doubt you want th4e Sahara desert in
the workshop.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
Blowtorch? Hot air gun? Chemicals?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 16/04/2017, Bill Wright supposed :
Blowtorch? Hot air gun? Chemicals?

Bill

I had paint and sealant marks on the bricks where painted wooden
windows frames had been replaced with double glazing. I managed to
remove most of it with a cup wire brush on an angle grinder. It left
some steel abraded from the brush, on the brick work, but that soon
disappeared.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 16 April 2017 02:52:08 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
Blowtorch? Hot air gun? Chemicals?

Bill

Just leave it, the paint will drop off in time. If you can cope with it looking rough meanwhile.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I suppose one could paint it concrete colour so nobody would notice.
Brian

Seen that done recently, I watched some painters rollering the pillars and portico on some of the recently built houses on a new build. Apparently they were covering over mortar stains and imperfections in the stonework. A lot depends on what type of paint was used originally gloss for instance would need to be removed whilst most masonry paints could probably be over painted.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2017 02:52, Bill Wright wrote:
Blowtorch? Hot air gun? Chemicals?

Bill

surprised no one told you not to use blow torch, concrete really
explodes with a very hot heat source.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes its the pores in the concrete you find it stuck in which is how
sandblassting works well, as it removeds a bit of the surface as well.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 16/04/2017 12:03,
wrote:
On Sunday, 16 April 2017 02:52:08 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
Blowtorch? Hot air gun? Chemicals?

Bill

Just leave it, the paint will drop off in time. If you can cope with it
looking rough meanwhile.

I've been waiting 30 years! Yes, it is dropping off, but much too slowly.
I can get some of it off with a pressure washer!

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2017 02:52, Bill Wright wrote:
Blowtorch? Hot air gun? Chemicals?

Much depends on the type of paint and how you want the finish on the
concrete to look once done. A brass wire cup brush on an angles grinder
is gentler than you might expect and good for getting stuff off less
than perfect surfaces.

If you have access to a compressor, then you can get small hand held
grit blasting guns. They are somewhat slower and less aggressive than
you might expect though.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2017 17:17, John Rumm wrote:
On 16/04/2017 02:52, Bill Wright wrote:
Blowtorch? Hot air gun? Chemicals?

Much depends on the type of paint and how you want the finish on the
concrete to look once done. A brass wire cup brush on an angles grinder
is gentler than you might expect and good for getting stuff off less
than perfect surfaces.

If you have access to a compressor, then you can get small hand held
grit blasting guns. They are somewhat slower and less aggressive than
you might expect though.

Should have also added a needle "scaler" type pneumatic tool may also
work well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm was thinking very hard :
Much depends on the type of paint and how you want the finish on the concrete
to look once done. A brass wire cup brush on an angles grinder is gentler
than you might expect and good for getting stuff off less than perfect
surfaces.

+1

concrete lintels which way up? george [dicegeorge] UK diy 9 May 18th 12 10:02 PM
Difference between concrete sealer and concrete paint? Harry Muscle Home Ownership 9 March 22nd 06 09:28 PM
Exterior Lintels: Oil or Paint? [email protected] Woodworking 1 March 12th 06 06:01 PM
Concrete Lintels... Jon Harris UK diy 13 September 10th 04 10:32 PM
Drilling Concrete Lintels Jon Harris UK diy 11 August 31st 04 09:24 PM