Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Question re mobility battery

Current battery is 12v 34/36AH x 2 (50AH optional) cost locally £190!
Checking ebay MOBILITY SCOOTER WHEELCHAIR BATTERIES 2 x 12v 33AH AS 30AH
31 32AH 34AH 35AMP, this is one battery. (£95)

How do I relate the 34/36AH original to the advertised 33AH AS 30AH 31
32AH 34AH 35AMP, In other words would it be suitable or must I find one
that rates as 34/36AH?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
Current battery is 12v 34/36AH x 2 (50AH optional) cost locally £190!
Checking ebay MOBILITY SCOOTER WHEELCHAIR BATTERIES 2 x 12v 33AH AS 30AH
31 32AH 34AH 35AMP, this is one battery. (£95)

How do I relate the 34/36AH original to the advertised 33AH AS 30AH 31
32AH 34AH 35AMP, In other words would it be suitable or must I find one
that rates as 34/36AH?

Getting a rough capacity match will be fine BUT BUT BUT it must be a
deep discharge battery. not all vendors on ebay will be that
conscientious about selling the right type of battery.

Many will do a heavy current for a short while eg engine starting on a
mower/bike small car. These are no good.

Some will be standby batteries design to be float charged most of their
life and then give their all a few time when the power fails. These are
no good.

You need something called a deep discharge or traction battery and these
cost real money.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2017 20:33, Bob Minchin wrote:
ss wrote:
[...]

Yes, all that is true.

Have you tested the charger?

https://www.tayna.co.uk/ENC33-12-End...ery-P9060.html

Make sure (a) the vendor will give you the VAT exemption (b) the battery
is the correct physical size and shape, and that the terminals are where
you expect them to be.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 April 2017 20:05:17 UTC+1, ss wrote:
Current battery is 12v 34/36AH x 2 (50AH optional) cost locally £190!
Checking ebay MOBILITY SCOOTER WHEELCHAIR BATTERIES 2 x 12v 33AH AS 30AH
31 32AH 34AH 35AMP, this is one battery. (£95)

How do I relate the 34/36AH original to the advertised 33AH AS 30AH 31
32AH 34AH 35AMP, In other words would it be suitable or must I find one
that rates as 34/36AH?

slight capacity difference.

As said get a golfcart type, not standby or starting. To go on a plane it would need to be a mobility scooter type.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 13/04/2017 21:37, Bill Wright wrote:
Have you tested the charger?

FIL got a local guy to take away and test, apparently the batteries,
which is likely as he hasnt used for months due to hospitalisation.

I am getting involved now before he lays out £190!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes they need to resist internal deformation and obviously are notjust your
bog standard lead acid battery. Increasingly these are not even lead acid
any more.
I do think though that most of these sort of disabled user items tend to
have prices invented by sticking a pin in a list, rather than actually
making them affordable.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
news
ss wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/ENC33-12-End...ery-P9060.html

I've used Tayna's own brand Powerline batteries in UPSes, last ones are
coming up on 2 years and the UPS reckons are still at 91% capacity,
obviously UPS batteries don't get the regular cycling of a mobility
scooter, but it has been run for several hours, though I don't let it do
the weekly test.

So might be worth considering

https://www.tayna.co.uk/PLC33-12-Powerline-Mobility-Battery-P9080.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 14/04/2017 09:18, Andy Burns wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/ENC33-12-End...ery-P9060.html

I've used Tayna's own brand Powerline batteries in UPSes, last ones are
coming up on 2 years and the UPS reckons are still at 91% capacity,
obviously UPS batteries don't get the regular cycling of a mobility
scooter, but it has been run for several hours, though I don't let it do
the weekly test.

So might be worth considering

https://www.tayna.co.uk/PLC33-12-Powerline-Mobility-Battery-P9080.html

Is that a gel battery? Seems very reasonable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 13/04/2017 22:34, ss wrote:

It will never go on a plane, in fact I am not convinced he will actually
get out with it, he is 90 and manages to fall at least 4 times a week. I
would rather he didnt use it but he is insisting.

Will this give him some freedom, rather than being housebound?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Minchin wrote:
Getting a rough capacity match will be fine BUT BUT BUT it must be a
deep discharge battery. not all vendors on ebay will be that
conscientious about selling the right type of battery.

Look it up on the maker's site, and make sure it is suitable. If no
maker's site, beware.

I helped a pal with a scooter get some replacements from Ebay - at well
under half the shop price - and last I heard were fine.

To be fair, any posh high street shop like that is going to have to mark
things up over mail order.

--
*Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/PLC33-12-Powerline-Mobility-Battery-P9080.html

Is that a gel battery? Seems very reasonable.

no, absorbed glass mat

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2017 20:05, ss wrote:
Current battery is 12v 34/36AH x 2 (50AH optional) cost locally £190!
Checking ebay MOBILITY SCOOTER WHEELCHAIR BATTERIES 2 x 12v 33AH AS 30AH
31 32AH 34AH 35AMP, this is one battery. (£95)

How do I relate the 34/36AH original to the advertised 33AH AS 30AH 31
32AH 34AH 35AMP, In other words would it be suitable or must I find one
that rates as 34/36AH?

The Ah rating determines how long it will run for. The most important
thing is to select a battery intended for deep discharge and fairly
brutal vibration conditions. They are not cheap but they are nowhere
near as expensive as the ones sold exclusively for the purpose.

I wouldn't trust buying them on eBay though.

Try RapidOnline for deep discharge robust SLAs - you will easily meet
their minimum order for free shipping.

The most important thing is that the replacement battery must be
physically the right size and connector fittings to fit in the space
allocated to the batteries and the cables.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 14/04/2017 17:25, Martin Brown wrote:
I wouldn't trust buying them on eBay though.

Try RapidOnline for deep discharge robust SLAs - you will easily meet
their minimum order for free shipping.

The most important thing is that the replacement battery must be
physically the right size and connector fittings to fit in the space
allocated to the batteries and the cables.

Thanks all for the input, I now have a good idea what I am looking for.

batteries for mobility scooters Bill Wright[_2_] UK diy 62 August 13th 14 10:21 AM
Mobility Scooter Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 22 July 8th 12 02:12 PM
Tablesaw mobility question Otter[_2_] Woodworking 17 November 26th 07 06:52 PM
Table Saw mobility david lang UK diy 11 October 20th 05 10:48 AM
alarm system battery backup, battery replacement question Michael Baugh Home Repair 1 June 19th 04 03:35 PM