Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default House painting quote.

I've had a quote to have the outside of the house painted. 4 bed Victorian
semi. Only the usual stonework to be painted.

One man band - working across the road, and appears to be making a decent
job. No sign of a VAT number on the printed quote.

Quote is 2650 + VAT and all materials extra. I will also have to pay for
scaffolding back and front. Says it will take 12-14 days.

Main reason not to DIY is my legs get rather sore standing for long
periods or kneeling down.

--
*I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
I've had a quote to have the outside of the house painted. 4 bed Victorian
semi. Only the usual stonework to be painted.

One man band - working across the road, and appears to be making a decent
job. No sign of a VAT number on the printed quote.

Quote is 2650 + VAT and all materials extra. I will also have to pay for
scaffolding back and front. Says it will take 12-14 days.

Main reason not to DIY is my legs get rather sore standing for long
periods or kneeling down.

Welcome to London!

Btw Wtf is "usual stonework"?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 12 April 2017 17:07:47 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've had a quote to have the outside of the house painted. 4 bed Victorian
semi. Only the usual stonework to be painted.

One man band - working across the road, and appears to be making a decent
job. No sign of a VAT number on the printed quote.

Quote is 2650 + VAT and all materials extra. I will also have to pay for
scaffolding back and front. Says it will take 12-14 days.

Main reason not to DIY is my legs get rather sore standing for long
periods or kneeling down.

My wife is outside painting our house right now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

My wife is outside painting our house right now.

I suppose living in the cave, she's grateful for any excuse to avoid
vitamin D deficiency ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 12 April 2017 17:07:47 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've had a quote to have the outside of the house painted. 4 bed
Victorian
semi. Only the usual stonework to be painted.

One man band - working across the road, and appears to be making a decent
job. No sign of a VAT number on the printed quote.

Quote is 2650 + VAT and all materials extra. I will also have to
pay for scaffolding back and front. Says it will take 12-14 days.

Main reason not to DIY is my legs get rather sore
standing for long periods or kneeling down.

My wife is outside painting our house right now.

Typical moslem.

He doesnt have one. Can't imagine why for the life of me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

No sign of a VAT number on the printed quote.

VAT number is only /necessary/ on an invoice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-04-12, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

No sign of a VAT number on the printed quote.

VAT number is only /necessary/ on an invoice.

But do check he really is registered and not just charging the VAT
and keeping it.

It seems that you cannot find a vat number for all companies by an
online search but you can ask for his vat number and then verify that it
is a valid number using an algorithm and furthermore there appear
websites that compare the name and the vat number to check for a match.

http://www.vat-lookup.co.uk/ might help you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've had a quote to have the outside of the house painted. 4 bed Victorian
semi. Only the usual stonework to be painted.

One man band - working across the road, and appears to be making a decent
job. No sign of a VAT number on the printed quote.

Quote is 2650 + VAT and all materials extra. I will also have to pay for
scaffolding back and front. Says it will take 12-14 days.

Main reason not to DIY is my legs get rather sore standing for long
periods or kneeling down.

Scaffolding could be expnsive. Get a price for that before going any
further.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 12/04/2017 18:44, charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've had a quote to have the outside of the house painted. 4 bed Victorian
semi. Only the usual stonework to be painted.

One man band - working across the road, and appears to be making a decent
job. No sign of a VAT number on the printed quote.

Quote is 2650 + VAT and all materials extra. I will also have to pay for
scaffolding back and front. Says it will take 12-14 days.

Main reason not to DIY is my legs get rather sore standing for long
periods or kneeling down.

Scaffolding could be expnsive. Get a price for that before going any
further.

Scotland quoted...4 bed detached, clean walls (pebbledash) wash with
fungaside and 2 finish coats just under £1k + paint, no scaffolding.
Will be cash payment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2017 19:51, ss wrote:

Scotland quoted...4 bed detached, clean walls (pebbledash) wash with
fungaside and 2 finish coats just under £1k + paint, no scaffolding.
Will be cash payment.

OTOH Dave has Victorian "stonework" (most if not all of which probably
isn't real stone) and doing a proper job on that means stripping off
what could be several layers of assorted paints, making good with
external filler - possibly a lot of filler! - including twiddly (and
soft) mouldings around door and windows. And then painting lots of
edges, including edges where the stonework joins the brick (albeit I
probably rate that as I'm useless at it and so know only too well how
hard it is to get paint off soft London yellow stock).

I don't know what's a good price but the quote's not way out of line
with what some people pay around here for a good job on smaller houses,
albeit much depends on the price for scaffolding.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
OTOH Dave has Victorian "stonework" (most if not all of which probably
isn't real stone) and doing a proper job on that means stripping off
what could be several layers of assorted paints, making good with
external filler - possibly a lot of filler! - including twiddly (and
soft) mouldings around door and windows.

Yes - although most of the paint on the stone work is pretty good having
been totally stripped of last time I did it myself. Apart from one
moulding which needs a proper repair - and I told the painter I'd do that
myself first, as I still have the mould to repair it I made some 40 years
ago. And it's a different bit that needs sorting this time.

IMHO, the worse bits are the back windows which face south.

And then painting lots of
edges, including edges where the stonework joins the brick (albeit I
probably rate that as I'm useless at it and so know only too well how
hard it is to get paint off soft London yellow stock).

The sign of a decent painter - being able to do a straight line freehand.
;-)

--
*I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I just can't put it down.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

I've had a quote to have the outside of the house painted. 4 bed Victorian
semi. Only the usual stonework to be painted.

One man band - working across the road, and appears to be making a decent
job. No sign of a VAT number on the printed quote.

Quote is 2650 + VAT and all materials extra. I will also have to pay for
scaffolding back and front. Says it will take 12-14 days.

Last repainting job when I was still in London was in 2014.
Early Victorian terrace, basement, three floors and garret.
Scaffolding front and back: £1,700

Exterior painting by one local man estimated 2,500; actual after some
repairs to woodwork etc £3,000 (other quotes from larger property
maintenance firms were 4,200 and 15,000 +VAT!)

Main reason not to DIY is my legs get rather sore standing for long
periods or kneeling down.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
DJC wrote:
I've had a quote to have the outside of the house painted. 4 bed
Victorian semi. Only the usual stonework to be painted.

One man band - working across the road, and appears to be making a
decent job. No sign of a VAT number on the printed quote.

Quote is 2650 + VAT and all materials extra. I will also have to pay
for scaffolding back and front. Says it will take 12-14 days.

Last repainting job when I was still in London was in 2014. Early
Victorian terrace, basement, three floors and garret. Scaffolding front
and back: £1,700

That's roughly what I paid last time, inclusive of everything but
scaffolding. Again, a one man band. And given inflation has been so low I
was rather surprised it had gone up by that much.

Exterior painting by one local man estimated 2,500; actual after some
repairs to woodwork etc £3,000 (other quotes from larger property
maintenance firms were 4,200 and 15,000 +VAT!)

There are always some who don't want the work. ;-)

Main reason not to DIY is my legs get rather sore standing for long
periods or kneeling down.

*I love cats...they taste just like chicken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, and they asked me why I paid just over double this for a wallcoat jub.
Its lasted a heck of a lot longer and I also had plastic gutters fitted as
well, and plastic facia boards that they fix to. All that needs doing now is
a few window sills and cast iron pipework here and there.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I've had a quote to have the outside of the house painted. 4 bed Victorian
semi. Only the usual stonework to be painted.

One man band - working across the road, and appears to be making a decent
job. No sign of a VAT number on the printed quote.

Quote is 2650 + VAT and all materials extra. I will also have to pay for
scaffolding back and front. Says it will take 12-14 days.

Main reason not to DIY is my legs get rather sore standing for long
periods or kneeling down.

--
*I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it*

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've had a quote to have the outside of the house painted. 4 bed Victorian
semi. Only the usual stonework to be painted.

One man band - working across the road, and appears to be making a decent
job. No sign of a VAT number on the printed quote.

If he's a one man band he may not be VAT registered. That's why he wants
you to pay for the scaffold. It helps him stay below the VAT
registration threshold.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

If he's a one man band he may not be VAT registered. That's why he wants
you to pay for the scaffold. It helps him stay below the VAT
registration threshold.

Except the quote was +VAT, so he's probably on the flat rate scheme and
trying to avoid incurring costs where possible, hence maximising his
difference between the 20% charged and whatever% he sends to the VAT man
- looks like painting and decorating may use the default 12%

For anyone using the FRS and who only buys in a small quantity of
*goods* take note that they've introduced a new rate of 16.5% to
effectively make it non-worthwhile (£100 + 20% = £120 - 16.5% = 20p) so
you get rewarded 0.002% commission for collecting the VAT.

I've switched back to the standard scheme were you use your actual input
costs, because I produce and consume mainly services, rather than goods,
but Mr Decorator obviously purchases paint, and wishes to avoid paying
for scaffolding services.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2017 09:34, Andy Burns wrote:
Muddymike wrote:

If he's a one man band he may not be VAT registered. That's why he wants
you to pay for the scaffold. It helps him stay below the VAT
registration threshold.

Except the quote was +VAT,

Ah yes, I missed that.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
I've had a quote to have the outside of the house painted. 4 bed Victorian
semi. Only the usual stonework to be painted.

One man band - working across the road, and appears to be making a decent
job. No sign of a VAT number on the printed quote.

If he's a one man band he may not be VAT registered. That's why he wants
you to pay for the scaffold. It helps him stay below the VAT
registration threshold.

Thing is he arrives to work across the road by bike. Never seen a van. If
he's not VAT registered, it's simply a way of upping the price.
I can see a one man band not wanting to be bothered with arranging for
scaffolding, though.

--
*We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've had a quote to have the outside of the house painted. 4 bed Victorian
semi. Only the usual stonework to be painted.

One man band - working across the road, and appears to be making a decent
job. No sign of a VAT number on the printed quote.

Quote is 2650 + VAT and all materials extra. I will also have to pay for
scaffolding back and front. Says it will take 12-14 days.

Main reason not to DIY is my legs get rather sore standing for long
periods or kneeling down.

Is a scaffold tower usable?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've had a quote to have the outside of the house painted. 4 bed
Victorian
semi. Only the usual stonework to be painted.

One man band - working across the road, and appears to be making a decent
job. No sign of a VAT number on the printed quote.

Quote is 2650 + VAT and all materials extra. I will also have to pay for
scaffolding back and front. Says it will take 12-14 days.

Main reason not to DIY is my legs get rather sore standing for long
periods or kneeling down.

Is a scaffold tower usable?

or even one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/111474805080

has to be cheaper than scaffolding, even if just for the front?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , tim...
wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've had a quote to have the outside of the house painted. 4 bed
Victorian semi. Only the usual stonework to be painted.

One man band - working across the road, and appears to be making a
decent job. No sign of a VAT number on the printed quote.

Quote is 2650 + VAT and all materials extra. I will also have to pay
for scaffolding back and front. Says it will take 12-14 days.

Main reason not to DIY is my legs get rather sore standing for long
periods or kneeling down.

Is a scaffold tower usable?

or even one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/111474805080

has to be cheaper than scaffolding, even if just for the front?

that doesn't look as though it would even get to the first floor. A proper
"cherry picker", delivered to site, with an operator, will cost a lot more
than that.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
or even one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/111474805080

has to be cheaper than scaffolding, even if just for the front?

that doesn't look as though it would even get to the first floor. A
proper "cherry picker", delivered to site, with an operator, will cost a
lot more than that.

It doesn't look like it would even fit in what passes for a front garden
round here. And certainly couldn't get it to the rear of the house.

A scaffold tower might do - but would need to be moved several times. Add
that to the costs of hire and delivery etc, and ordinary scaffolding looks
a better bet.

--
*Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
or even one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/111474805080

has to be cheaper than scaffolding, even if just for the front?

that doesn't look as though it would even get to the first floor. A
proper "cherry picker", delivered to site, with an operator, will cost a
lot more than that.

It doesn't look like it would even fit in what passes for a front garden
round here. And certainly couldn't get it to the rear of the house.

A scaffold tower might do - but would need to be moved several times. Add
that to the costs of hire and delivery etc, and ordinary scaffolding looks
a better bet.

We had our house painted a couple of years ago by a neighbour and his
son who do painting and decorating together, and are very good.

Large 4/5 bed two floor detached pebble dash house, on a small hill, so
access is not great. They did it all using a ladder, but they both spend
a lot of time in the gym - father, almost 60, has the body of a 25 year
old and the son is not far behind.

Was £2000 and included all paint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2017 13:26, tim... wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've had a quote to have the outside of the house painted. 4 bed
Victorian
semi. Only the usual stonework to be painted.

One man band - working across the road, and appears to be making a
decent
job. No sign of a VAT number on the printed quote.

Quote is 2650 + VAT and all materials extra. I will also have to pay for
scaffolding back and front. Says it will take 12-14 days.

Main reason not to DIY is my legs get rather sore standing for long
periods or kneeling down.

Is a scaffold tower usable?

or even one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/111474805080

I like the click and collect option at Argos!

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
On 13/04/2017 13:26, tim... wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've had a quote to have the outside of the house painted. 4 bed
Victorian
semi. Only the usual stonework to be painted.

One man band - working across the road, and appears to be making a
decent
job. No sign of a VAT number on the printed quote.

Quote is 2650 + VAT and all materials extra. I will also have to pay for
scaffolding back and front. Says it will take 12-14 days.

Main reason not to DIY is my legs get rather sore standing for long
periods or kneeling down.

Is a scaffold tower usable?

or even one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/111474805080

I like the click and collect option at Argos!

Ah! I tried that for an e-bay delivery. Collecting from Argos was going
to be cheaper (I think) and it avoided hanging about for the lorry.

In the event collection was called off because of item weight. Less than
25kg for each of two parcels.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/04/2017 17:42, Tim Lamb wrote:

In the event collection was called off because of item weight. Less than
25kg for each of two parcels.

What's a reasonable weight limit for a warehouse worker? Maybe it
depends on the item's shape?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I've had a quote to have the outside of the house painted. 4 bed Victorian
semi. Only the usual stonework to be painted.

One man band - working across the road, and appears to be making a decent
job. No sign of a VAT number on the printed quote.

Quote is 2650 + VAT and all materials extra. I will also have to pay for
scaffolding back and front. Says it will take 12-14 days.

I'm actually interested in the price of scaffolding as the row of 4 houses
next to me (and the mirror block on then other side of the estates I can see
out of my kitchen window) - including along outside my flat so that they
could get to the side (without even telling me, let alone asking
permission - the *******s)

4 stories high (a 3 story town house plus up to the roof line because,
stupidly, they have been built with cladding on top that needs regular
repainting)

Took the scaffolding men three full days to erect, and then 4 days to
dismantle(?)

and the painters were in for 4 days max

Can't see how that is cost effective against the alternatives

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2017 13:37, tim... wrote:

[...]

I had some to first floor level - very substantial, even I was happy on
it. £250 for what seemed like as long as I wanted (took them a month to
take down after I asked). Took 2 men about 2 hours to put up/down. Pic:

https://flic.kr/p/RrtnUP

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 13/04/2017 16:36, RJH wrote:

I had some to first floor level - very substantial, even I was happy on
it. £250 for what seemed like as long as I wanted (took them a month to
take down after I asked).

They don't have a yard, so they leave it up until they need it for the
next job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
On 13/04/2017 13:37, tim... wrote:

[...]

Scaffolding is rarely taken down until it's needed for the next job. Saves
storage space.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
I had some to first floor level - very substantial, even I was happy
on it. £250 for what seemed like as long as I wanted (took them a
month to take down after I asked). Took 2 men about 2 hours to put
up/down. Pic:

Scaffolding is rarely taken down until it's needed for the next job.
Saves storage space.

I've had scaffolding several times for various jobs over the years. Has
always been removed pretty quickly after asking.

--
*Velcro - what a rip off!*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pamela wrote:
On 17:02 12 Apr 2017, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've had a quote to have the outside of the house painted. 4 bed
Victorian semi. Only the usual stonework to be painted.

One man band - working across the road, and appears to be making
a decent job. No sign of a VAT number on the printed quote.

Quote is 2650 + VAT and all materials extra. I will also have to
pay for scaffolding back and front. Says it will take 12-14
days.

Main reason not to DIY is my legs get rather sore standing for
long periods or kneeling down.

Are you getting any other quotations?

Not yet. I don't know any reliable painters despite having asked around.
Hence getting the quote from one I've seen at work - and looks to be doing
things correctly.

The last painter I used for this job came with lots of recommendations.
But did it all when I was out at work. Only some time later did I discover
he'd used masonry paint on some wood window frames. And had simply slapped
paint over the bits you couldn't see easily - with no preparation. It was
coming off within a year.

--
*Pentium wise, pen and paper foolish *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pamela wrote:
On 11:07 18 Apr 2017, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
pamela wrote:
[...]

I suppose if he's reliable and good quality then it's worth paying a
bit extra but isn't £230 a day (incl VAT) for labour alone a bit on
the high side?

Seems so to me. Assuming he gets near full time work - as it seems he does
- amounts to well over 60k a year with 4 weeks off. And that's VAT exc.

I spoke to him for the first time today since getting the quote. Said it
was a lot more than I expected. He asked what that would be and I said
nearer 2 grand. He then asked if that included materials.

Thing is that on having a careful look there's quite a bit of repair
needed before painting. So it looks like I'll need to get some painkillers
and do that myself. ;-)

--
*Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pamela wrote:
[...]

Our son is a painter and decorator and the minimum going rate he charges
is £120 a day for labour (Berkshire area).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pamela wrote:
[...]

I was once charged £9000 for three days painting (well one day, three people). He got £900. Then he had he cheek to tell me I'd got the zero in the wrong place! Yes, they were Irish. He's no longer in business after somebody (I wonder who) made several nasty complaints to the police, trading standards, the inland revenue, and the warehouse owner he claimed to be based in.

--
It's called "Windows XP" because its full name, "The Repair Shop and Help-Desk Full Employment Act of 2006", won't fit on the box.

Painting outside of house Chris Fern UK diy 6 January 31st 13 01:01 PM
Painting House MiamiCuse Home Repair 5 September 21st 06 08:51 AM
painting the outside of a house Eigenvector Home Repair 10 September 6th 06 09:36 PM
painting a new house [email protected] Home Repair 12 July 17th 05 11:21 PM
painting a house Tiger UK diy 3 August 29th 03 11:44 AM