Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Default Emailing bank details

I am trying to set up a direct debit with my water company, South West
Water. The method they provide seems to me insecure.

Initially, their website directed me to fill in an on-line form giving
your customer details (postal address, account number etc) but not bank
details. I press "submit". Two weeks later I get an email, ostensibly
from although the header contains the
line "X-Sender:
". This addresses me by name,
and correctly cites the information I supplied on the online form. The
sender invites me to email her my bank details so that she can set up
the direct debit.

Is it secure to do so, or should I take extra precautions?

--
Jack
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 28/03/2017 09:26, Handsome Jack wrote:
I am trying to set up a direct debit with my water company, South West
Water. The method they provide seems to me insecure.

Initially, their website directed me to fill in an on-line form giving
your customer details (postal address, account number etc) but not bank
details. I press "submit". Two weeks later I get an email, ostensibly
from although the header contains the
line "X-Sender:
". This addresses me by name,
and correctly cites the information I supplied on the online form. The
sender invites me to email her my bank details so that she can set up
the direct debit.

Is it secure to do so, or should I take extra precautions?

A Direct Debit is made with YOUR bank citing the Payees' details by YOU.
YOU set up Direct Debit and NOT the Payee!

I personally, would phone them, and ASK for their banking details and
not send information of your own bank through an open email.

They may well say it is their way, in that case they need some form of
security in the future if you are to continue dealing with them!

omega

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 28/03/2017 10:41, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Handsome Jack
wrote:

I am trying to set up a direct debit with my water company, South West
Water. The method they provide seems to me insecure.

Initially, their website directed me to fill in an on-line form giving
your customer details (postal address, account number etc) but not
bank details. I press "submit". Two weeks later I get an email,
ostensibly from although the header
contains the line "X-Sender:
". This
addresses me by name, and correctly cites the information I supplied
on the online form. The sender invites me to email her my bank details
so that she can set up the direct debit.

Is it secure to do so, or should I take extra precautions?

Any cheque you give to anyone has your bank details on it.

Are you suggesting anyone with your account number and sort code are
then able to enter your account and set up a Direct Debit to themselves?

omega

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 28/03/17 10:41, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Handsome Jack
wrote:

Is it secure to do so, or should I take extra precautions?

Any cheque you give to anyone has your bank details on it.

Clarkson stung after bank prank
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7174760.stm

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 28 March 2017 09:46:35 UTC+1, Omega wrote:
A Direct Debit is made with YOUR bank citing the Payees' details by YOU.
YOU set up Direct Debit and NOT the Payee!

No, that's a standing order.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 28 March 2017 09:50:30 UTC+1, Omega wrote:
Are you suggesting anyone with your account number and sort code are
then able to enter your account and set up a Direct Debit to themselves?

Not to themselves, very easily, but to any organisation approved by the direct debit scheme.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

wrote:

I am trying to set up a direct debit with my water company, South West
Water. The method they provide seems to me insecure.

Initially, their website directed me to fill in an on-line form giving
your customer details (postal address, account number etc) but not
bank details. I press "submit". Two weeks later I get an email,
ostensibly from although the header
contains the line "X-Sender:
". This
addresses me by name, and correctly cites the information I supplied
on the online form. The sender invites me to email her my bank details
so that she can set up the direct debit.

Is it secure to do so, or should I take extra precautions?

Any cheque you give to anyone has your bank details on it.

Are you suggesting anyone with your account number and sort code are
then able to enter your account and set up a Direct Debit to themselves?

They don't have to "enter your account". But if f'rinstance you want to
pay your electric provider via DD, you just give them your bank details
and they set the DD up.

I'm not sure which entities have the authority to do that and how they
get it.

That sounds very clumsy to me and I would still want ME to set up
anything that will leave my account.

Re your other post, Clarkson, it sounds another 'entity' has
mischievously compromised his account so would infer these entities
should not be trusted.

The OP has expressed concern over security, I share his concern.

omega

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

wrote:

I am trying to set up a direct debit with my water company, South West
Water. The method they provide seems to me insecure.

Initially, their website directed me to fill in an on-line form giving
your customer details (postal address, account number etc) but not
bank details. I press "submit". Two weeks later I get an email,
ostensibly from although the header
contains the line "X-Sender:
". This
addresses me by name, and correctly cites the information I supplied
on the online form. The sender invites me to email her my bank details
so that she can set up the direct debit.

Is it secure to do so, or should I take extra precautions?

Any cheque you give to anyone has your bank details on it.

Are you suggesting anyone with your account number and sort code are
then able to enter your account and set up a Direct Debit to themselves?

you sign and give authority.

omega

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

In message , Handsome Jack
writes

Is it secure to do so, or should I take extra precautions?

Whenever I am asked for that information, I send half in one message,
and half, later, in another. Whether that helps, or I am being over
cautious, I don't really know.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Omega wrote:

Are you suggesting anyone with your account number and sort code are
then able to enter your account and set up a Direct Debit to themselves?

Any organisation approved to be able to setup direct debits would be mad
to create one they couldn't prove you hadn't authorised, but e.g. if I
knew you details I might be able to set up a fraudulent DD to pay
£500/month to Battersea Dogs Home (ask Jeremy Clarkson!) but you would
get the money back in an instant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Re your other post, Clarkson, it sounds another 'entity' ...

Not my other post.

Yes, sorry, I realised that as soon as I had hit the button.

omega

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Tim Streater posted
In article , Handsome Jack
wrote:

I am trying to set up a direct debit with my water company, South West
Water. The method they provide seems to me insecure.

Initially, their website directed me to fill in an on-line form giving
your customer details (postal address, account number etc) but not
bank details. I press "submit". Two weeks later I get an email,
ostensibly from although the header
contains the line "X-Sender:
". This
addresses me by name, and correctly cites the information I supplied
on the online form. The sender invites me to email her my bank details
so that she can set up the direct debit.

Is it secure to do so, or should I take extra precautions?

Any cheque you give to anyone has your bank details on it.

I know. But in that case, I know exactly who I have given the cheque to.
In this case, all I have is an email address.

--
Jack
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 28/03/2017 09:46, Omega wrote:
On 28/03/2017 09:26, Handsome Jack wrote:
I am trying to set up a direct debit with my water company, South West
Water. The method they provide seems to me insecure.

Initially, their website directed me to fill in an on-line form giving
your customer details (postal address, account number etc) but not bank
details. I press "submit". Two weeks later I get an email, ostensibly
from although the header contains the
line "X-Sender:
". This addresses me by name,
and correctly cites the information I supplied on the online form. The
sender invites me to email her my bank details so that she can set up
the direct debit.

Is it secure to do so, or should I take extra precautions?

A Direct Debit is made with YOUR bank citing the Payees' details by YOU.
YOU set up Direct Debit and NOT the Payee!

You grant authority to the payee - they setup the DD.

I personally, would phone them, and ASK for their banking details and
not send information of your own bank through an open email.

You don't need their banking details for a DD. You would only need those
for doing a BACS transfer or setting up a standing order.

They may well say it is their way, in that case they need some form of
security in the future if you are to continue dealing with them!

While I agree it would be "nicer" if they collected the details in a
more protected manor, there is not *that* much risk in disclosing just
account number and sort code. Beyond setting up a DD (which you could
reverse) or paying money into your account, there is not much someone
can do without only that information.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 28/03/2017 09:26, Handsome Jack wrote:
I am trying to set up a direct debit with my water company, South West
Water. The method they provide seems to me insecure.

Initially, their website directed me to fill in an on-line form giving
your customer details (postal address, account number etc) but not bank
details. I press "submit". Two weeks later I get an email, ostensibly
from although the header contains the
line "X-Sender:
". This addresses me by name,
and correctly cites the information I supplied on the online form. The
sender invites me to email her my bank details so that she can set up
the direct debit.

Is it secure to do so, or should I take extra precautions?

Why not do it online at their site?

https://myaccount.southwes****er.co....ctdebitua.aspx

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 09:41:24 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Handsome Jack
wrote:

I am trying to set up a direct debit with my water company, South West
Water. The method they provide seems to me insecure.

Initially, their website directed me to fill in an on-line form giving
your customer details (postal address, account number etc) but not bank
details. I press "submit". Two weeks later I get an email, ostensibly
from although the header contains the
line "X-Sender:
". This addresses me by name,
and correctly cites the information I supplied on the online form. The
sender invites me to email her my bank details so that she can set up
the direct debit.

Is it secure to do so, or should I take extra precautions?

Any cheque you give to anyone has your bank details on it.

Not only that - but it has a signature on it as well, one more item of
potential insecurity that I point out to some of the dinasours I meet.

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 28/03/17 12:25, AnthonyL wrote:
some of the dinasours I meet

^^^^^^^^^

Is that a pet name for a grumpy old woman?

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 28/03/17 10:51, Andy Burns wrote:
Omega wrote:

Are you suggesting anyone with your account number and sort code are
then able to enter your account and set up a Direct Debit to themselves?

Any organisation approved to be able to setup direct debits would be mad
to create one they couldn't prove you hadn't authorised, but e.g. if I
knew you details I might be able to set up a fraudulent DD to pay
£500/month to Battersea Dogs Home (ask Jeremy Clarkson!) but you would
get the money back in an instant.

And therein lies the problem with any DD.

Firstly, I doubt it would be "in an instant". DDs are for those who do
not have the time or interest to keep a check on their money, and are
happy to let someone run part of their personal finances. Would you go
to a market stall, buy a bagful of fruit and veg, and tell the
stallholder to take, unseen, the cost of the goods from your wallet, and
then not check for several hours that the correct amount had been taken?
That's effectively what a DD is, but substitute "days" for "hours". By
the time you realised much more than what you thought had been
withdrawn, you could be in financial trouble.

And that's another problem. The DD guarantee makes much of the fact that
if an error is made, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of
the amount paid by your bank or building society. Nothing wonderful
about that - if it wasn't refunded it would be theft or fraud, wouldn't
it? But /would/ it? You authorised someone to take unspecified amounts
at varying times. Where is the "error"? How long does it take the payee
(or you) to find out their payment system was out by a decimal point,
and removed £1000 instead of £100 from your account? Only if they accept
there is an error do you get the money back.

And that leads to the final point which I have raised before and never
had answered. What happens if you suffer financial damage from an
excessive DD withdrawal which makes you effectively in default of other
payments, as there is little or no money in your account to make those
payments? Do you lose the goods on which those payments should have been
made? Do you have to sue the payee(s) who made the error for damages?

I /might/ consider a DD if there was some way of limiting the amount a
payee could take. For example, If my gas bill never exceeded £500 a
quarter, I might accept a DD limiting any withdrawal to less than, say,
£600. But as far as I am aware, no DD accepts a limit.

As you might guess, I don't do DDs. It costs me more on my bills (which
annoys me) but I'm in control of my bank account, not someone else.

Well, I thought I was, until I read your post! :-(

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Robin posted
On 28/03/2017 09:26, Handsome Jack wrote:
I am trying to set up a direct debit with my water company, South West
Water. The method they provide seems to me insecure.

Initially, their website directed me to fill in an on-line form giving
your customer details (postal address, account number etc) but not bank
details. I press "submit". Two weeks later I get an email, ostensibly
from although the header contains the
line "X-Sender:
". This addresses me by name,
and correctly cites the information I supplied on the online form. The
sender invites me to email her my bank details so that she can set up
the direct debit.

Is it secure to do so, or should I take extra precautions?

Why not do it online at their site?
https://myaccount.southwes****er.co....ctdebitua.aspx

That's not the website address they print on the bills they send me. The
relevant water account is not for a household, but for a business
(actually a charity of which I am treasurer). On my (or rather the
charity's) bill they direct me to this page:
https://www.swwbusiness.co.uk/manage...o-direct-debit

and that's the process I followed. When I went to that page I was
expecting something like the DD form to which your URL points; but for
some reason it's different.

--
Jack
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Jeff Layman was thinking very hard :
And that leads to the final point which I have raised before and never had
answered. What happens if you suffer financial damage from an excessive DD
withdrawal which makes you effectively in default of other payments, as there
is little or no money in your account to make those payments? Do you lose the
goods on which those payments should have been made? Do you have to sue the
payee(s) who made the error for damages?

I /might/ consider a DD if there was some way of limiting the amount a payee
could take. For example, If my gas bill never exceeded £500 a quarter, I
might accept a DD limiting any withdrawal to less than, say, £600. But as far
as I am aware, no DD accepts a limit.

As I understand it, the bank is responsible for any financial impact
you might suffer due to any charging error and have to put you back in
the position you would have been, had you not been overcharged.

I have no such concerns at all, I have four regular fixed amounts dd
(utilities/C-tax)and one variable one, which pays off my CC each month
in full. It works absolutely fine, saves me money and worry about
getting the payments made on time.

I also have some software which keeps a daily eye on all of my accounts
and flags up any unusual transactions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 28/03/2017 14:30, Handsome Jack wrote:

That's not the website address they print on the bills they send me. The
relevant water account is not for a household, but for a business
(actually a charity of which I am treasurer). On my (or rather the
charity's) bill they direct me to this page:
https://www.swwbusiness.co.uk/manage...o-direct-debit

and that's the process I followed. When I went to that page I was
expecting something like the DD form to which your URL points; but for
some reason it's different.

I only ever used their site for a domestic customer so can't say why its
different.

You could always phone them with your bank details if you don't trust email.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 11:03:41 +0100, Handsome Jack wrote:

Is it secure to do so, or should I take extra precautions?

Any cheque you give to anyone has your bank details on it.

I know. But in that case, I know exactly who I have given the cheque to.
In this case, all I have is an email address.

Well you know who *you* gave it to but they then give it to a bank
clerk and who knows who has access to it after that?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 09:54:21 +0100, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Any cheque you give to anyone has your bank details on it.

Clarkson stung after bank prank
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7174760.stm

Only beacuse *he* didn't read his post properly.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Jeff Layman wrote:

As you might guess, I don't do DDs. It costs me more on my bills (which
annoys me) but I'm in control of my bank account, not someone else.

Well, I thought I was, until I read your post! :-(

You get none of the convenience or savings of using DDs, yet are no more
immune from fraudulent DDs than I am because people know your account
details anyway, I'm happy to accept that any DD mistakes will be
corrected, if you don't trust the bank to do that, why do you trust them
at all?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 13:21:23 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

Any organisation approved to be able to setup direct debits would

be
mad to create one they couldn't prove you hadn't authorised, but

e.g.
if I knew you details I might be able to set up a fraudulent DD to

pay
£500/month to Battersea Dogs Home (ask Jeremy Clarkson!) but you

would
get the money back in an instant.

But the organistion writes (dead tree writes) to the person saying
that there will be DD setup to them for X with first payment on Y.
I'm not sure if they write to the address given to them or one they
get from the bank when they are setting up the DD I would hope the
later.

Firstly, I doubt it would be "in an instant".

Never had a problem with a DD in 40 odd years of banking and using DD
extensively, must be a dozen or so on my main current account.

DDs are for those who do not have the time or interest to keep a check
on their money, and are happy to let someone run part of their personal
finances.

Maybe but if they get stung that's their problem, as Clackson
admitted but the media tried to ignore.

DDs *save* me time by not having to manually pay the bills, be that
sending a cheque or online. I do reconcile every account every month
and if something doesn't get paid due to lack of funds, both the bank
and orginator will have a letter on the door mat a couple of days
later. I'm resonably sure that if that lack of funds is down to an
incorrect DD your bank will credit you account, pay those that need
paying and cancel any charges they have raised. Those not paid will
also cancel any fees.

But /would/ it? You authorised someone to take unspecified amounts
at varying times.

DD can be fixed or variable. Orginators don't like fixed as they have
to set up a new DD if the amount changes. With variable they have to
tell you of any change (amount or date) before they change it.
Normally you get a couple of weeks notice.

But as far as I am aware, no DD accepts a limit.

They can be fixed but even variable you get advance notice of any
change in the amount.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Handsome Jack
wrote:

That's not the website address they print on the bills they send me. The
relevant water account is not for a household, but for a business
(actually a charity of which I am treasurer).

Presumably your charity's committee has agreed to the use of DDs.

A related issue with charity bank accounts is that, where it was
possible for the charity's committee to insist on two signatures being
needed for cheques, that cannot be done for online banking.

It can be and is done. I am a trustee of two charities for which I am a
cheque signatory. Person one sets up the payment (on line) but it isn't
authorised until person 2 logs on and "seconds" it. This applies to Lloyds
and CAF Bank. Other banks may do it differently. You can even require a
3rd "signature" if you want - which is what our Parish Council does. The
Clerk sets up the paymenst and 2 others are needed to make payment (also
Lloyds).

So if that committee authorises someone to pay for things via BACS,
they're letting one person control the whole financial assets of the
charity.

NO. In any case the Charity Commission REQUIRE 2 signatories.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 28/03/17 16:15, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Jeff Layman
wrote:

As you might guess, I don't do DDs. It costs me more on my bills (which
annoys me) but I'm in control of my bank account, not someone else.

What do you do instead then? Write cheques? I suppose one could have a
list of entities to which one does a BACS transfer each month, but I
find DD rather easier.

Where the amount is variable, and/or infrequent, I use BACS. Where the
amount is fixed, I use a Standing Order. (which is effectively a
repeating BACS order, I guess.) I haven't used a cheque for several years.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 28/03/17 16:06, Andy Burns wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:

As you might guess, I don't do DDs. It costs me more on my bills (which
annoys me) but I'm in control of my bank account, not someone else.

Well, I thought I was, until I read your post! :-(

You get none of the convenience or savings of using DDs, yet are no more
immune from fraudulent DDs than I am because people know your account
details anyway, I'm happy to accept that any DD mistakes will be
corrected, if you don't trust the bank to do that, why do you trust them
at all?

I don't. I check payments and withdrawals frequently. Oddly enough, I
once had a Standing Order missed and got the bank to sort that out and
apologise. But SOs are easy to see if missed or are incorrect, DDs
aren't. I'm no more immune, it would appear, from DDs because of a
stupid system - as Clarkson found out. That really should be changed.

I've just emailed www.directdebit.co.uk to see if they can answer my
question about damages caused by incorrect DD payments.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 28/03/17 15:09, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

If you can find a specific statement which says that I would love to see
it. Do you have a link to one? As I pointed out, the Direct Debit
guarantee refers /only/ to refund of an incorrect overpayment.

I have no such concerns at all, I have four regular fixed amounts dd
(utilities/C-tax)and one variable one, which pays off my CC each month
in full. It works absolutely fine, saves me money and worry about
getting the payments made on time.

I also have some software which keeps a daily eye on all of my accounts
and flags up any unusual transactions.

Interesting. Was that provided by your Bank or Building Society?

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 28/03/2017 16:48, Tim Streater wrote:
A related issue with charity bank accounts is that, where it was
possible for the charity's committee to insist on two signatures being
needed for cheques, that cannot be done for online banking. So if that
committee authorises someone to pay for things via BACS, they're
letting one person control the whole financial assets of the charity.

I have been told that two of the big four banks (can't remember which)
do have a system that allows for dual authorisations for on-line
payments just to cover situations like this.

--
Clive Page

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Dave Liquorice posted
On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 11:03:41 +0100, Handsome Jack wrote:

Is it secure to do so, or should I take extra precautions?

Any cheque you give to anyone has your bank details on it.

I know. But in that case, I know exactly who I have given the cheque to.
In this case, all I have is an email address.

Well you know who *you* gave it to but they then give it to a bank
clerk and who knows who has access to it after that?

[as I just said to Nick] Yes but there is nothing one can do about that
type of insider fraud. What I'm discussing is giving one's account
details to a possibly fraudulent *outsider*, in which case I might not
get the money back from the bank if I am diddled.

--
Jack
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Tim Streater posted
In article , Handsome Jack
wrote:

That's not the website address they print on the bills they send me.
The relevant water account is not for a household, but for a business
(actually a charity of which I am treasurer).

Presumably your charity's committee has agreed to the use of DDs.

I'm not clear what point you're making. Yes they have. So?

--
Jack
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 28/03/17 17:21, Jeff Layman wrote:

I've just emailed www.directdebit.co.uk to see if they can answer my
question about damages caused by incorrect DD payments.

Just got a quick reply:

"To answer your question, A complaint will need to be raised with the
company that has taken the wrong amount.

Within that complaint, you will need to mention any losses that have
occurred as a result of the mistaken amount.

If the company do not deal with the complaint to your satisfaction, the
complaint will need to be escalated to the Financial Ombudsman."

So as far as I can see, the Direct Debit guarantee does /not/ apply. It
is a matter for the aggrieved party to sort out with the company and
then, if that doesn't work, the Financial Ombudsman. I wonder how long
that would take.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Jeff Layman wrote:
On 28/03/17 17:21, Jeff Layman wrote:

I've just emailed www.directdebit.co.uk to see if they can answer my
question about damages caused by incorrect DD payments.

Just got a quick reply:

"To answer your question, A complaint will need to be raised with the
company that has taken the wrong amount.

Within that complaint, you will need to mention any losses that have
occurred as a result of the mistaken amount.

If the company do not deal with the complaint to your satisfaction, the
complaint will need to be escalated to the Financial Ombudsman."

From what I've heard this is the bank *trying* to deflect its
responsibility. The DD guarantee means that they *are* responsible
and can't shift the onus to the business involved.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Note please do not cross post screws up many servers these days.

Like hell it does.

Normal email is seldom secure all the way through. Surely they have an on
line form on an https server for just this purpose.

"Handsome Jack" wrote in message
I am trying to set up a direct debit with my water company, South West
Water. The method they provide seems to me insecure.

Initially, their website directed me to fill in an on-line form giving
your customer details (postal address, account number etc) but not bank
details. I press "submit". Two weeks later I get an email, ostensibly
from
although the header contains the line
correctly cites the information I supplied on the online form. The sender
invites me to email her my bank details so that she can set up the direct
debit.

Is it secure to do so, or should I take extra precautions?

--
Jack

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 12:32:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 28/03/17 12:25, AnthonyL wrote:
some of the dinasours I meet

^^^^^^^^^

Is that a pet name for a grumpy old woman?

Only if they don't keep up with current technology.

--
AnthonyL